Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:30:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does Atripla causes sleep disorder?  (Read 8471 times)

Offline VikkMathis

Does Atripla causes sleep disorder?
« on: February 12, 2009, 07:44:23 am »
I've been on Atripla for nearly a year now and really never had a problem with it besides the dreams. Never had headaces, dizziness, or that feeling of walking up feeling light headed.

I work the night shift on my job from 11:00 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. (The graveyard shift) and lately I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep when I get home from work. I'm a little concern that it may be due to the medication I'm taking which is Atripla and Lipitor. Sometime I'll go two days with no sleep and usually end up crashing and feeling tired and messed up at work.

I've heard from some people who's also on this medication that it can cause sleep disorder in some people, but usually right away and it's only minor and last for a couple of days. The thing is I'm not just starting the medication for I've been on it for almost a year and half now.

Has anyone else had any problems with this medications beside the dream?

What are the side affects beside dreaming and feeling dizzy?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:31:23 pm by VikkMathis »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Does Atripla causes sleep disorder?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:45:56 pm »
Eventually I had trouble sleeping with Atripla. It was unclear if it was the HIV medicine itself or the anxiety of taking HIV medicine and being HIV+.  I got a sleeping pill prescription, and take it sometimes. I seem not to need it. I think there is a placebo effect - if you know you have a sleeping pill that works, then you are less anxious about falling asleep, and don't need to take it all the time. So, try that.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline richva

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:54:17 am »
I started Atripla in April '08; the dreams and whatnot eased up by May, I believe.  Then, beginning in September or thereabouts, I started having insomnia - mild at first, then raging.  Missed work; grumpy and wiped out even on my "good" days.  Since the Atripla was "working," ID doc and I decided to try a variety of sleep aids.  Each worked for a night or two, then nothing.  Finally decided to switch meds in late December.  The change was pretty dramatic.  Today, I sleep like a baby without any sleep meds.  (I've also had the energy and enthusiasm to start a running program; not so on Atripla.)  So, to your question: Yes, there are cases where folks have started off on Atripla fairly well, only to have problems arise later on.  To complicate matters, though, there are also reports that some cholesterol-lowering meds may also contribute to sleep disorders.  Not sure if Lipitor falls into this group, but it's worth discussing with your doctor.

Good luck!
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed
03/25/2008 (YUP - 16 years later!) CD4 336/21% VL 217,000; started meds
08/2012 - Alive, living! and doing just fine, TYVM (w/ props to my doc, insurance carrier and Complera. I remember every day that I'm a lucky boy.)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:24:40 pm »
The efavirenz in Atripla can cause sleep disorders to arise in the medium to long term, not just on starting.

It's not the only cause of sleep problems obviously, but the effects being so well known it needs to be a suspect.

Unfortunately, the presentation is more or less the same as sleep disorders from stress, sleep disorders from other meds.....

But the short answer to our question is yes, Atripla can.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:56:23 pm »
I have always had crazy dreams (talk in my sleep, laugh, etc.). The Sustiva/Truvada has definitely increased the vividness of my dreams.

Offline Oh501sguy

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:08:06 am »
I don't think Atripla has caused a sleep disorder for me.  I actually relax with the buzz that comes from the meds before bedtime.  The dreams are what they are.  Sometimes scary, sometimes fun...sometimes even sexual as when I was in my teens!  My sleep problems are related to being anxious and enjoying too much starbucks at 3pm.  I found that tylenol PM helps me to get drowsy.  You should check with your doc.  But has far as the meds causing sleep problems... I've not heard of that.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:55 pm »
As Newt has said, yes it can cause sleep disorders. Reason for taking sleeping pills. Nothing worse than getting a couple hours of sleep then be wide awake and can't get back to sleep for hours. We use to have several on here at night that were all taking Atripla and we would all be up chatting because we couldn't sleep. Finding the right sleeping pill for you is sometimes harder than finding the correct HIV meds that work for you. If you are given a sleeping pill and it doesn't work tell your ID doctor. They understand.

Offline poz2008

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:47:52 pm »
I was diagnosed 4/28/2008 and started atripla after my first blood work results and have been on it ever since.  My CD4 count is 170 so I am still on Bactrim.  My Viral Load is undetectable.  The only sleep disorder, if you want to call it that, are just vivid/wild dreams.  Luckily I have not encountered any other adverse side-effects. 

Last time I went to my ID Dr. they did a cholesterol check because Atripla can cause it to rise.
5/1/08 - PCP Pneumonia - Started Bactrim
8/1/08 - Started Atripla
11/1/08 - CD4: 200 VL: 30,000
2/8/09 - CD4: 285 VL: Undetectable
5/8/09 - CD4: 327 VL Undetectable - Off Bactrim
8/8/09 - CD4: 404 VL: Undetectable
10/13/09 - CD4: 384 VL: Undetectable

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:45:08 am »
Poz -- just wanted to welcome you to our forums.  Glad your new regimen is working well -- congrats on getting to undetectable!

Offline poz2008

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 05:09:23 pm »
Thank you Peter,  I just found out about this website through a friend.  I am glad to have found a place with such a supportive community. 

Everyone Keep it real, and Keep up the Positive Mental Attitude   ;D
5/1/08 - PCP Pneumonia - Started Bactrim
8/1/08 - Started Atripla
11/1/08 - CD4: 200 VL: 30,000
2/8/09 - CD4: 285 VL: Undetectable
5/8/09 - CD4: 327 VL Undetectable - Off Bactrim
8/8/09 - CD4: 404 VL: Undetectable
10/13/09 - CD4: 384 VL: Undetectable

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.