Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:58:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 444
Total: 446

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: some questions  (Read 5847 times)

Offline montana1234

some questions
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:22:21 am »
Hello,

I have read through many threads on mutual masterbation but I have a couple questions that I would like to have answered.

1) It is mentioned about vaginal secretions touching the penis while having someone masterbate you but what if they had a cut on there hand and it was dark so one never noticed it?, is this a risk?.

2) when you say that HIV cannot infect outside it's host...is the host the person?

3) With the information on this site I guess I can conclude that once HIV is released from sones body weather it be from secreations or blood it is no longer infectious?

4)  What about ppl who have been infected through a needle stick?...this is outside the host, why is this different?

5)  If one never has had sex but just engages in mutual masterbation (at say a "rub and tug") only...will they avaoid the infection?.  I have never had sexual intercourse but engage in this activelty once and a while.

I do appreciate your help with these questions, thank you.

Offline RapidRod

Re: some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:33 am »
1. No risk
2. Yes the host is the other person
3. correct
4. sharing works with other IV drug abusers is a risk because the blood is not exposed to air and is injected straight into a vein.
5. Then at no time were you ever exposed to HIV. HIV is transmitted from unprotected vaginal and anal sex, sharing works with other IV drug abusers and mother to child.

Offline montana1234

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:10:21 pm »
Thanks for your reply...just one more question??

I am uncircumsised does that change the risk??, as there is more area that can be infected.  This is assuming there was blood from her hands during this "rub and tug".  I am just concerned cause I never checked her hands out before it happened, thanks.

Offline montana1234

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:11:26 pm »
I forgot one thing...when you say the host is the other person what do you mean?.  Lets say I was infected are you saying that I am the host?. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:55:50 pm »
Yes you would be the host if you were the one infected.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 03:15:28 pm »
Not being circumcised puts you at greater risk for transmission during unprotected intercourse. The skin that makes up underside of your foreskin is a receptive area for transmission. However, it would not create a greater risk for you during other sexual activities such as the ones you originally asked about.
Andy Velez

Offline montana1234

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:52 pm »
Thanks again for your answers...so even if there is vaginal secretions or blood during masterbation there is still no risk even being uncircumsised?...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 05:10:24 pm »
Still no risk.

Offline montana1234

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:14:05 pm »
This is the last question as I am probably getting on your nerves!!....what makes coming into contact with secretions or blood not a risk?...especially if it gets on my penis with foreskin?, thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:26:16 pm »
In your situation? Being exposed to air, temp change, and ph change. HIV is very fragile and it doesn't take anything to damage the outter shell of the virus and renders its inability to infect.

Offline montana1234

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 09:32:24 am »
Thanks a bunch guys and gals for all your answers....I know I am not alone when I say that I am hung up on being infected with HIV.  When someone in a work setting gets splashed with infected blood why do they become infected if it hits there eyes?....I really just want to understand fully how HIV is spread from one person to the other so hopefully I don't continue to live a life fearing something that I am not at risk for.  Also, is it proven that HIV does not infect once outside the body?..or is this just an assumtion?...I have been reading answers from The Body and the doctor there never really says mutual masterbation is a no risk...I wonder why this is?...is always says it is not a significant risk which tells me that it is not a high risk but does carry some level of risk??...is this how it sound to you?, thanks.

Offline montana1234

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 09:33:22 am »
Also if infected blood was contaminated with massage oil would this even make it less likely to be infectious?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:12 am »
Mon,

I've NEVER heard of anyone being infected through a blood splash to the eye. When transmission happens in a medical setting, it's from needle-stick injuries and this isn't a common mode of transmission by any means. There have only been around 100 cases in the USA to date, which is very low considering how often needle-stick injuries happen.

Non-medical worker adults become infected with hiv in one of two ways. The most common way it through unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. The other, less common way is through the immediate sharing of a contaminated needle to inject street drugs.

Other than that, you're worrying about hiv unnecessarily. As you've been told, hiv is a very fragile virus that quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect once outside the human body. It would definitely NOT remain able to infect when in massage oil.

We know this through numerous studies of serodiscordant couples (one neg, one poz). In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. There was not one case of transmission between these couples outside a non-sexual setting either, despite being people who lived together and likely shared eating utensils, etc.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and never share drug injecting equipment, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline montana1234

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:35 pm »
Hello,

I do appologise for the lack of knowledge but you must understand that I am from a country (canada) that takes an extremely conservative approach at HIV.  I phoned the HIV hotline in Toronto a while back and asked them about handjobs and they said well if there was blood or vaginal secretions present then yes it is a risk!!!...this has gone against everything I have read on reputable websites such as this.  I have always be proud that I have always considered HIV and STD's and have never had unprotected sexual intercourse for the simple fact that I understand how to prevent STD's but when your government call center tells me this I get totally freaked out.  I must also note that a few years ago when I called about blowjobs 2 operators had two different answers....it seems they are like robots at times. 

With my situation I must add that I did not see blood or see her touch herself but I am just thinking worse case senerio....when I mention the massage oil I meant that she had oil on her hands I did not mean that I was concerned about HIV in the Oil. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 07:25:48 am »
mon,

The worst case scenario is that you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. You didn't. You got your todger tugged and that isn't a risk. No way, no how. It's high time you got over it.

As for the answers you got from your government, it's a case of ignorance coupled with a CYA policy - cover your ass. Just because it's the government doesn't mean they're right. In some states in that country to the south of you, an hiv positive person can get jail time for spitting at someone, despite the fact that it's well known that saliva is NOT infectious. It's all part and parcel of the stigma and discrimination that we positive people face on a daily basis. Do you REALLY want to be a part of that?

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!

Now please, get over the fact that you got a hand job. Even if this person's hand was dripping with blood, you didn't have a risk. GET OVER IT!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline montana1234

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 12:08:24 pm »
Hello,

I went for a physical today and am concerned as he did a CBC test...I am concerned it will come back abnormal due to this situation.  Am I truly crazy??...I am not sure why I cannot get over this situation as I deeply beleive there is no problem until I learned what a CBC test for.  What can a person like me who cannot get over this do?...I remember years ago having a exposure (at least I thought it was) and even after the negative test I started thinking the test could be wrong.  I understand at this point it is not a risk situation but I need to take this issue and do something about it...any suggestion?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 12:23:54 pm »
It doesn't matter what results come back in relation to your CBC test vis-a-vis HIV. CBC results have no relevance in terms of HIV status.

But then you are still ignoring the basic fact which is you didn't do anything that put you at risk for HIV.

You ask for a suggestion about what to do about this issue you don't seem able to get over. We can't help you anymore than we have already. It's not an HIV issue. It's HIV jitters which is quite different. If you really can't get on with your life then I suggest you see a therapist or other professional to get some support with what is now essentially an emotional issue.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.