Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:40:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 206
Total: 206

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: where do you buy your meds?  (Read 7442 times)

Offline BL

where do you buy your meds?
« on: June 21, 2006, 01:23:24 am »
Hi,

I take truvada, kaletra, acyclovir and zoloft...where is the best place to buy these drugs? I have insurance but it only covers 75% which leaves quite a lot of out of pocket. What do people recommend? Thanks very much for your advice.

BL

Offline blbldude

Re: where do you buy your meds?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 02:13:06 am »
You might qualify for ADAP assisatance with your insurance co-pays depending on your income level and the state you live in.

Offline RobT

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 02:38:14 am »
BL-
I have been taking Sustiva and Truvada since November and have been covered under my state's ADAP (WA ADAP) program since then. I know my state picks up a considerable amt, based upon the person's income level. WA state is picking up 80% of all my costs under this program and I am coming up w/ the remaining 20%. The big catch is that this program IS for HIV/AIDS associated medication and care only, so it is not an umbrella health coverage option. It does not cover regular sickness, unless it is associated w/ HIV/AIDS. For an overall health care package, that might b offered from ur state; hospital; care provider; etc..

RobT

9/27/2005-1st test results
Viral Load >1,000,000
CD4 204
CD4%age 18
CD4/CD8 ratio .23
11/24/2005- Sustiva/Truvada
04/18/2006
Viral Load 140
CD4 402
CD4%age .21
CD4/CD8 ratio .39
Next appt.-06/27/2006 (lab results)
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 01:05:29 pm »
BL,

If you have a Costco near you, check out their prices. I've seen a couple of news articles that compare prices of various nationwide pharmacies, and Costco came out way lower than most of the national pharmacies. Here's one such article:  Pharmacy Comparison

Even if you don't have a Costco near you, you can check out their online pharmacy and find out if you can get them by mail order. I didn't see all your drugs listed on the website, but the price for 30 tabs of 100 mg Zoloft was $79.77. The website suggested that if your drug isn't listed, you should call their online pharmacist.

I hope this helps.

Allan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:17:09 pm by allanq »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:46:55 pm »
Sustiva, Viread, and Trizivir. I don't buy meds, they are provided through Medicare Part D.  Since I live in California and live on SSI, harely have two nickles to rub together and call my own, ADAP picks up the share of cost.  For a list of commomly prescribed HIV medications and their cost at my local pharmacy, www.Commission-on-AIDS.org, click on the medications tab of my site.  Have the best day
Michael

I have tried Longs and RiteAid but both organizations have had a problem with keeping HIV meds in stock for their regular monthly clients.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 10:48:28 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 11:00:09 pm »
You can go ADAP. It depends on your income level and where you are living. OR you can go to your Health Department's for your County's clinic and some of them have a pharmacy in them.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:22:48 pm »
I don't know where you live, but there may be an insurance assistance program. These are designed precisely for people in your situation.

Often, they will reimburse you for your portion of the co-pay/deductibles and sometimes for any premiums you pay. At least, that's how it works here.

It depends on your income level and whether you qualify for services. It is worth a trip to your local ASO or case manager's office to find out.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 12:57:58 pm »
If you don't qualify for assistance with co-pays, your insurace clearly defines the amont you will pay for high end drugs as ours.  No matter where you purchase them, your co-pay will be the same.  I am refering to hmo's, etc. that have set co-pays where ever.  I know little about private insurance and their policies.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 01:07:12 pm »
After thought: if it is a strict % you're paying, not set co-pay by catagory; you have a WalMart near you?  Everybody does, lol(the retail monster that ate the U.S.).  Seriously, no one beats their prices, if they have what you need.  A straight 25% on any high end durg has got to hurt the pocket book...........
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 01:23:03 pm »
P.S. DO NOT trust on line pharmacies, have seen too many news stories in the past;  CBS recommended a couple of Canadian pharmacies a few years back, but don't remember who they were since I didn't need them.  Our meds are too improtant to trust an unknown.  Even in the U.S. there were horror stories a while back about counterfiet drugs sold at reputable pharmacies.  Don't get desperate.........
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop

Offline bar2bar

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 05:15:41 pm »
The first of the Candaian online pharmacies...TheCanadianDrugStore was great...safe, reliable, legit.  Then the US pharma companies cut off its surplus supply and dried up its stock.  The company moved overseas and now offers international generics and brands... still with licensed pharmacists, and totally reputable... at 1800usaverx...by phone or .com to get them online.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 05:29:14 pm »
Hello Bl,

I just put this link up in another thread. Click on the link below, and see if there is any information in there that may be able to help you out :

http://www.needymeds.com/

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 10:09:06 pm »
bar2bar:
Just a warning... you should never post url's of foreign pharmacies here that sell HIV meds.  Please don't make it any easier than it is for Big Pharma to track these guys down and do everything they can to put them out of business.  I've kept track of every foreign pharmacy selling HIV meds that has ever been mentioned in these forums.  They are all out of business now... I don't think this is just a coincidence.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.