Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:50:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773221
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 624
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: counting calories???  (Read 5073 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
counting calories???
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:48:23 pm »
When counting calories can I still eat as much fruit as I want?

Offline Marcelino

Re: counting calories???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:51:34 pm »
Hello there idee,
I thought I would jump in quick to answer your question.  This is a common question a lot of clients I train will ask and it is a very good question too.  I can understand why you would ask this.  I'm going to give you my answer and it's also what I learned in college in my nutrition classes.  Okay, here it goes: ;)

First let me explain the difference between complex carbohydrates and simple carbohydrates.  You want to avoid "simple carbs" like chocolate, candies, sugar and cake because the energy you get from the sugar in those is temporary and you find yourself crashing, sometimes more tired than you were to begin with.  Also, it's known that these carbs spike your blood sugar and put you at a high risk of developing diabetes and other metabolical issues....not to mention, the most obvious, simple carbs are stored as fat in the body.

"Complex carbs" are the ones you want to go for.  Unlike simple carbs, complex carbs give you energy that's slowly released into your system, leaving you energized and alert longer and avoiding that sleepy, afternoon crash.  Complex carbs are exactly what you are asking about:  fruits/vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, dairy products, oats, pastas, etc.

One thing I want to mention, though.  Be very careful with fruit juices.  A lot of people are unaware of this, but because the fruit has been juiced, the concentration of fruit sugars is so high in fruit juice, it can greatly contribute to obesity and diabetes if done in excess.  Only do that occasionally, as the sugar in fruit juice could greatly mess up your nutrition plan.

Most of the fruits and vegetables you eat will be naturally low in calories and fat, and a good way to use them is as substitutes for high-fat, high-calorie items. Usually, the typical large serving of fast food french fries contains about 500 calories, while 1 1/2 cups of whole strawberries only contains 60 calories. Produce is a complex carbohydrate, very dense in nutrients, and consuming produce can help you feel fuller longer and keep your energy levels up. The fiber in fruits and vegetables may also help to reduce the risk of any types of gastrointestinal cancers. 

I'm guessing that you are mainly concerned with what you ask because you don't want to feel hungry, right?  The key to avoiding this is by choosing high fiber foods.  I know this is common knowledge and simple, but when you think about it, how many people actually practice eating like this, or wonder how much fiber is in whatever they are eating at that moment?  I'll help you out, though, and list some more things for you.

First let me explain how to correctly calculate your daily calories:
By eating 3,500 calories less than your body uses, you will lose about one pound of fat. You won't lose weight unless you initiate this caloric deficit, no matter what type of foods you eat. To get an idea of your daily calorie needs, multiply your ideal weight that you want to achieve by 12 to 15 calories. Use the lower number (for example multiply by 12 calories), the older and less active you are. Men typically need more calories than women. For example, a very active 28-year-old male wanting to weigh 150 pounds would use 15 for a daily caloric need of 2,250, while a moderately active 38-year-old female wanting to weigh 130 pounds, would use 13 for a daily caloric need of 1,690.

Eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is a really good way to accelerate your weight loss. However, obviously produce is only one part of a balanced diet, and you need to eat from the major food groups to be healthy. Also, remember, even vegetables and fruit have calories, and you can't lose weight if you consume more than you burn off.

Also, besides fruits and vegetables, you should try to eat whole grains, lean meats, seafood, beans and low-fat dairy products. Whole grains are another really good source of complex carbohydrates, as well as fiber. Lean meats, seafood, beans and dairy gives you protein, and that will help you from getting that "drained, lack of energy" state. If you cut these food groups, there is a risk of becoming malnourished, as well as developing other health problems, and I don't want you to have to go through that.

I hope I was able to help you and feel free to ask anything else if there is something I can help with.  Take care and good luck.  Naturally, it can get tough sometimes but you are definitely motivated enough to do it.  Go for it ;)     Marcelino

EDIT:  Had to edit the post cause when I was proofreading a second time, I noticed I put "These CRABS (instead of carbs) spike your blood sugar" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:54:54 pm by Marcelino »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:26:47 am »
Being a diabetic, I do try to watch the sugars in what I eat.  Fruits are good, but I can only eat 1/2 a banana, or only a bit of watermelon.  Both are high in sugar, and if I eat more than that, my sugar will spike (and crash).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »
Hello there idee,
I thought I would jump in quick to answer your question.  This is a common question a lot of clients I train will ask and it is a very good question too.  I can understand why you would ask this.  I'm going to give you my answer and it's also what I learned in college in my nutrition classes.  Okay, here it goes: ;)

First let me explain the difference between complex carbohydrates and simple carbohydrates.  You want to avoid "simple carbs" like chocolate, candies, sugar and cake because the energy you get from the sugar in those is temporary and you find yourself crashing, sometimes more tired than you were to begin with.  Also, it's known that these carbs spike your blood sugar and put you at a high risk of developing diabetes and other metabolical issues....not to mention, the most obvious, simple carbs are stored as fat in the body.

"Complex carbs" are the ones you want to go for.  Unlike simple carbs, complex carbs give you energy that's slowly released into your system, leaving you energized and alert longer and avoiding that sleepy, afternoon crash.  Complex carbs are exactly what you are asking about:  fruits/vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, dairy products, oats, pastas, etc.

One thing I want to mention, though.  Be very careful with fruit juices.  A lot of people are unaware of this, but because the fruit has been juiced, the concentration of fruit sugars is so high in fruit juice, it can greatly contribute to obesity and diabetes if done in excess.  Only do that occasionally, as the sugar in fruit juice could greatly mess up your nutrition plan.

Most of the fruits and vegetables you eat will be naturally low in calories and fat, and a good way to use them is as substitutes for high-fat, high-calorie items. Usually, the typical large serving of fast food french fries contains about 500 calories, while 1 1/2 cups of whole strawberries only contains 60 calories. Produce is a complex carbohydrate, very dense in nutrients, and consuming produce can help you feel fuller longer and keep your energy levels up. The fiber in fruits and vegetables may also help to reduce the risk of any types of gastrointestinal cancers. 

I'm guessing that you are mainly concerned with what you ask because you don't want to feel hungry, right?  The key to avoiding this is by choosing high fiber foods.  I know this is common knowledge and simple, but when you think about it, how many people actually practice eating like this, or wonder how much fiber is in whatever they are eating at that moment?  I'll help you out, though, and list some more things for you.

First let me explain how to correctly calculate your daily calories:
By eating 3,500 calories less than your body uses, you will lose about one pound of fat. You won't lose weight unless you initiate this caloric deficit, no matter what type of foods you eat. To get an idea of your daily calorie needs, multiply your ideal weight that you want to achieve by 12 to 15 calories. Use the lower number (for example multiply by 12 calories), the older and less active you are. Men typically need more calories than women. For example, a very active 28-year-old male wanting to weigh 150 pounds would use 15 for a daily caloric need of 2,250, while a moderately active 38-year-old female wanting to weigh 130 pounds, would use 13 for a daily caloric need of 1,690.

Eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is a really good way to accelerate your weight loss. However, obviously produce is only one part of a balanced diet, and you need to eat from the major food groups to be healthy. Also, remember, even vegetables and fruit have calories, and you can't lose weight if you consume more than you burn off.

Also, besides fruits and vegetables, you should try to eat whole grains, lean meats, seafood, beans and low-fat dairy products. Whole grains are another really good source of complex carbohydrates, as well as fiber. Lean meats, seafood, beans and dairy gives you protein, and that will help you from getting that "drained, lack of energy" state. If you cut these food groups, there is a risk of becoming malnourished, as well as developing other health problems, and I don't want you to have to go through that.

I hope I was able to help you and feel free to ask anything else if there is something I can help with.  Take care and good luck.  Naturally, it can get tough sometimes but you are definitely motivated enough to do it.  Go for it ;)     Marcelino

EDIT:  Had to edit the post cause when I was proofreading a second time, I noticed I put "These CRABS (instead of carbs) spike your blood sugar" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thank you. I did not even see the word crabs. I like crab but don't eat it.
Today I had a salad with some black beans on top, (I'm addicted to black beans), and a boneless pork chop that was 3 oz., and I drank a coffee with milk and honey. Tonight I am just making sandwiches for dinner because it's hot here in Vegas.
Last night I ordered a food scale online. So I can measure my lean meats. The paper the doctor gave me for low cholesteral diets said 3 oz of lean meats.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:22 pm »
Being a diabetic, I do try to watch the sugars in what I eat.  Fruits are good, but I can only eat 1/2 a banana, or only a bit of watermelon.  Both are high in sugar, and if I eat more than that, my sugar will spike (and crash).

Thanks, and bananas are my favorite so I guess I'll just stick to my second favorite.

Offline Marcelino

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:44:25 pm »
Idee,
If anything comes up to where you find yourself unsure about what you should or should not eat, or if you need any alternative recipes as substitutes for things you like, feel free to leave a message here anytime.  I have come up with a few lowfat/low sugar alternatives to some high calorie desserts, etc.  It seems like you are determined and on your way to attaining your goal.  Even though I keep my body in good physical condition, there are also a lot of things that I cannot eat, as well, as I was born with a severe form of heart disease, putting me at risk for clots, heart attacks and strokes.  I need to permanently be on blood thinners for the rest of my life, so I'm very aware of what I put into my body.  I very much understand and know how all the restrictions can be tough.  Good luck Idee and I wish you really good health. ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.