Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 214
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Needless worrying? Two scenarios  (Read 5671 times)

Offline justaguy68

Needless worrying? Two scenarios
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:20:48 am »
Hello.  I have two scenarios to discuss.  It might be nothing but I need to ask.  I am a bisexual male in my 40s.  Sorry for the graphicness:

1)  I had an enounter with a sex worker about 3 weeks ago.  At the beginning of the sesion she playfully sat on my stomach area and was very close to my penis, which was erect.  I kind of pulled back but I can't be certain, I'm 99% sure, that my penis did not enter her for about a second uncovered.  There was no intercourse, alot of kissing, biting and hand stimulation on both our parts.  I did not insert a finger into her vagina, but I rubbed the top portion.  She did insert a "toy" into me, but I saw here wash it for a good 30 seconds.

2)  Over the weekend, in a moment of drunk weekness, I went to a xxx video store and had a random encounter with a stranger.  We both used our hands on eachother as welll as gave eachother head.  There was no ejaculation by either of us, but I did feel some precum on his hand and in my mouth.

Saturday I started feeling a tightness in my chest, and yesterday that morphed into a major headache and sore throat.  No fever but last night I had the sweats/chills while in bed and was pretty much "dead to the world."  I could not get out of bed.....just a lot of body aches and stuff.  So.....should I have any worries?  Need a test?  I ave mad a DR appointment this morning.  Any help would be 100% appreciated.

Offline justaguy68

Re: Needless worrying? Two scenarios
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:22:17 am »
Just want to clarify.....I'm 99% sure my penis did NOT enter her, but can't be certain.  Not sure if I typed it out right the first time. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:32:18 am »
justa,

What you describe with the sex worker sound like frottage. Frottage is the rubbing of genitals together without penetration and is NOT a risk for hiv infection. I think you would have known if you penetrated her.

Even if you did very briefly penetrate her, you would be very unlikely to end up positive over this. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and it is much more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man. In a positive woman, hiv is found in the thick mucus that covers the cervix deep inside the vagina. A brief, shallow penetration would not pose much risk.

Nothing that happened at the video store was a risk for hiv infection. Mutual masturbation is not a risk and neither is oral. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes the damage hiv and render it unable to infect. You do not need to test over this situation.

If you do decide to test over the incident with the sex worker, the earliest you should test is at six weeks, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this time, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point. I would fully expect you to test negative over this situation.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST SPECIFICALLY OVER FROTTAGE, MUTUAL MASTURBATION OR BLOWJOBS, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:46:44 am »
I agree Ann, that if I had penatrated her we both would have known.  I was just kind of shocked she did it because it was so close.  I don't even think she meant to do it.

Do I even need to test?  I do know the girl in question, I could call and ask her about her status.  It's probably needless worrying, but getting sick this weekend kind of made me nervous.  I am trying to get a DR appointment for today.  For all I know it could be strepped throat!

Thank you for the swift answer.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:51:02 am »
Justa,

Asking anyone about their hiv status is no way to go about protecting yourself. Many people do not accurately know their status and some people will lie. All you have to do is use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and it will not matter what their status may be.

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection and the only true sexual risks are unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

If you did not penetrate her, then you do not need to test specifically over that situation.

However, as I said before, as a sexually active adult you should be testing not only for hiv, but for all the other, more easily transmitted STIs as well, at least once a year. It's what responsible people do.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:23:33 pm »
Hi Ann.  Just checking back but I chose not to call her.  I felt it was in poor taste and I really don't believe I have anything to worry about.  I just think I feel like crap the past few days and it's my mind playing tricks on me.

And I'm due for a checkup soon, and I will have a blood test done across the board.

Thanks agian.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53:01 pm »
Good idea. And by "blood test" I hope you mean a full STD panel. We recommend that as a regular thing for anyone who is sexually active.

Andy Velez

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:41:06 am »
Yes sir, this is what I meant. 

Thank you both for responding.  Keep up the great work!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:17:25 am »
You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »
Just a follow up.....just got back from the DR visit.  "Acute Tonsillitis" is the verdict.  Which I guess could have come from the video store encounter, amongst other things.  I'm guessing there is no connection to anything HIV related and I can move on?  I still will get the STI tests done later this month, but I would have done that anyway, as I recently turned 40 and want a complete checkup.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »
Justa,

No, no connection to hiv. Please re-read your entire thread. Our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 03:10:13 pm »
Like I said, needless worrying.  Thanks again...

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 08:44:37 am »
I didn't want to start a new thread and this is somewhat related.

I called for my checkup and they said I can come in for blood work today or tomorrow, anytime.  I'm thinking my session with the SW was either June 8th or maybe June 1st.  Or this to soon to get the STD test, which will include a test for HIV?  It was either 4 or 5 weeks ago this happened.  I believe you said at 6 weeks is a good time for a test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 09:05:38 am »
First of all the rule here is to keep all your entries in the same thread even if it's a new subject. So you are doing the right thing by posting here.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. A negative result at 6 weeks is a good indication that a conclusive result at 3 months is going to be negative.

This is all said within the context of your not actually having had a risk, so for you testing is strictly for your peace of mind. 
Andy Velez

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 09:13:05 am »
Got it.  Yes, it's mainly for "peace of mind."  I think getting sick sort of freaked me out.  I know my symptoms are not "HIV specific" but it didn't help in the matter.  I think 95% of my problem is mental and the other 5% is reading stuff on the internet.

FWIW....this is the only site I trust and nothing personal, but I hope I'm not posting here again, other then to close this subject for good with a negative result!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:07 am »
Surfing the net about HIV issues generally only seems to feed people's worst fears and all to no good purpose. Staying off of sounds like a good idea to me.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 09:57:35 am »
Justa,

Put it this way - if the illness you experienced had anything to do with hiv seroconversion, your test today or tomorrow would be at the very least indeterminate, if not fully positive. The illness that sometimes accompanies seroconversion is not due to your body's reaction to the virus itself, it's a reaction to the process the body goes through while making antibodies. That's why it's commonly called seroconversion illness.

You didn't have a risk for hiv infection, remember?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 10:05:27 am »
Justa,

Put it this way - if the illness you experienced had anything to do with hiv seroconversion, your test today or tomorrow would be at the very least indeterminate, if not fully positive. The illness that sometimes accompanies seroconversion is not due to your body's reaction to the virus itself, it's a reaction to the process the body goes through while making antibodies. That's why it's commonly called seroconversion illness.

You didn't have a risk for hiv infection, remember?

Ann

I know and it's just my mind playing tricks on me.  To much time on my hands I guess.  You start conjuring up all these oddball scenarios.  Like last night I'm lying in bed and I start thinking, "what if some guy came inside of her before me and it was still in her when I was?"  That's when I realized I'm making myself crazy.  My goodness the odds of me even being inside her for a second are 1 in 100.   I'm going to stay awy from the internet, at leaset on this topic, and get on with life in general.  SOrry to be a pest!

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 03:22:02 pm »
Was really bored at work and I know I said I wouldn't do it, but I was surfing the web and decided to compare the "symptoms" to tonsillitis and HIV.  They are nearly identical.  Actually everything I have points to the tonsillitis which I know I already have! It's odd how we think the worst even though the odds, the proof, and more importantly, the science, points elsewhere.  Just thought I'd throw this in.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 03:29:15 pm »
You need to find something better to do with yourself at work.
Andy Velez

Offline justaguy68

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 03:59:03 pm »
You need to find something better to do with yourself at work.

I do not disagree.  Summer is super slow here.  I will and it won't be looking this stuff up anymore.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »
Good.  Time to move on with your life and appreciate and protect your negative status by always using condoms for intercourse, both anal and vaginal of course.

Over and out.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.