Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 413
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 402
Total: 405

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 159501 times)

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
Re: Smokers
« Reply #300 on: January 14, 2007, 12:00:07 am »
(too bad my life is so BORING now!  ha ha)

::retired from clubs::

welcome to my world!

Offline fearless

« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2007, 03:24:30 am »
I'm a smoker.

Sometimes I enjoy it, especially when drinking or pilling. Mostly, I hate it as it has control over me, costs me $100/week (10 packs at $10 a pop), stinks, makes my teeth yellow, my breath stink, ages my skin, and apparantley makes my sperm taste off. I also see a certain irony in the fact that I pop all these pills to stop HIV in its tracks, and which were giving me such grief until recently, yet I voluntarily choose to do something that in 50% of cases will lead to a slow and horrible death.

I get annoyed though, when non-smokers harp on about a puff of my 2nd hand smoke killing them. I don't know the science, but I'm pretty sure the occasional waft of my smoke is not going to kill them. I'd have much more respect if they just admitted that it stinks and annoys them, rather than ranting that I'm killing them.

Smokers can be their own worst enemies though, too. I hate walking on the street behind someone smoking. It does stink, and the next smoker who ashes on me when I'm suited up and on my way to work, I may just kill.

And, why can't smokers put their butts in the bin? It ain't that hard. At my office, we have this great garden where people smoke and where others just enjoy being outdoors. There must be 10 or 15 bins with large ashtrays on them, spaced every 10 metres or so, yet smokers just stomp their butts into the ground and leave them there. It drives me insane, and I'm a smoker. It would really piss me off if I was a non-smoker.

Butts have become such a problem in the city, that the Council has employed plain clothed 'butt police' who patrol the streets and hit you with an on-the-spot fine if you're caught throwing your butt on the sidewalk. For the same reason, smoking is prohibited on most Sydney beaches. Smokers only have themselves to blame for this.

As of 1 July 2007, we will have a total smoking ban in pubs and clubs. Thankfully, I don't go out much these days so I will not notice it much. It would've killed me a couple of years back though, as I chain smoke when boozing and having fun.

We have some bizarre laws though, which I think have gone too far. For example, in NSW it is illegal to smoke with 5 metres of swings and other children's playthings in parks and playgrounds.

Time for a ciggie.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline pozatlguy

« Reply #302 on: January 14, 2007, 12:16:04 pm »
I had a mother that smoked when I grew up in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  She didn't think anything about smoking and making us keep the car windows up either because it was hot or cold outside.  Of course this was at a time when the dangers were not taken seriously.  Anyway I hated it so much that I swore off ever tying it myself.  So I'm 44yo now and never touched the things.  Funny thing my mother, she finally quit when she turned 60 and when the grandchilden started to arrive. 

I can't even stand to go to a smokey club/bar now.  Please stop if you can; save your money and health at the same time.

-F
HIV + since June 1990, probably got infected 6 months before.
Viramune/Epzicom
9/06 - CD4 720, VL <50, 33.6%
12/13 - CD4 608,  VL <50, 33.8%

Offline hudstar

« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2007, 04:29:20 pm »

As for using other harmful things as an excuse to make smoking "ok" -- I don't buy it. 

I agree, smoking is not ok, I never said otherwise. I am responsible towards others by smoking im my own space (as stated). As for comparing the imbalance of the smoking campaign to other issues worse than passive smoking........a valid issue. I do much work within this area and I have to put up with environmetal issues that I do not contribute to because others do not make the effort for change. Example - I took my air conditioning out of my car because it was contributing to the ozone problem.  I see no major campaign for saving the ozone or of its proven connection regarding skin/eye cancer.........so I think a puff on a fag in private is less harmful than a blast from raw UV rays that harm a wider population. Once again, I state the campaign is amiss, Did you know that since this anti smoking campaign has been launched, tobbacco companies have been targeting less economical countries to make up for the loss in sales. I think the commercial side to smoking will cause me to quit, not social pressure.
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline Eldon

« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2007, 07:19:49 pm »
On every pack of cigarettes there is a Surgeon's General Warning on the pack. Smoking is a vice to most. When the desire is made to quit the person will then quit smoking. There are reports that you breathe easier just as well.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2007, 10:12:53 pm »
Welbutrin really works; it worked for me and I used tobacco for several years.  You don't have to stay on it once you quit, so you may want to try it out.
Sam

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2007, 11:29:23 pm »
I do not throw my butts on the ground or out of my car, I do not smoke in my house and do not smoke in my car if others are in it.  However, it is MY RIGHT TO SMOKE if I choose and don't let me catch you judging me, I am not a nice person!
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline fearless

« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2007, 12:26:52 am »
As well as the written health warning, our ciggies in Aus, now have graphic pictures of cancerous mouths, gangrenous feet, clogged arteries plastered all over them, front and back.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2007, 12:31:20 am »
I have a bottle of wellbutrin in my cabinet.

::ponders furiously::
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2007, 03:12:17 am »
As well as the written health warning, our ciggies in Aus,

We have them here in Canada too, Fearless. Some of them are so absurd they're laughable, such as:

CIGARETTES ARE HIGHLY ADDICTIVE

Gee, no kidding!
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline hudstar

« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2007, 07:02:04 am »
Just found there is a real cigarette brand called Laramie.....just the type Patty and Selma Bouvier smoke on the Simpsons!

diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2007, 08:34:31 am »
Since the smoking ban went into effect Jan. 1 in nearby Farmington, I have noticed some comical side effects.

Outside the bowling alley, there are now two of those newfangled ashtray/butt receptacles. The ones with the little slot at the top for where people deposit their butts, a long stem and a bulbous bottom where the butts accumulate.

As I walked out of the building last Saturday night, I noticed both of these receptacles were smoking like coal-fired power plants. Apparently, people were racing out to have a few puffs between frames and not bothering to put the ciggies out before they dropped them in the receptacles. It was really quite a sight.

Also, many of the bars outside the city have begun advertising "Smokers Welcome!" I now expect the DWI rate to go up.

Ah, the times in which we live.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline squareman

« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2007, 09:18:41 am »
Several people have mentioned the issue of other emissions in this debate, namely automotive. It's a valid point, and one that I've thought about a lot before. What's not been said, however, is that they do in fact aggressively regulate emissions from automobiles for the very reason that they are known toxins. In California, for example, you cannot buy or manufacture a diesel vehicles unless it meets a 99% emissions-free clean air test (which no U.S. manufacturer, including DaimlerChrysler or Volkswagen has been able to achieve).

In addition, studies have shown that cigarettes are, in fact, more harmful than the commons auto emissions - in some cases by up to 10 times more.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6312

Putting the science aside, I think the key thing for smokers to take away from this issue is respecting those whom your own personal choices impact. Our individual rights end where other people's rights begin, and many individuals choose not to smoke because of the damage it does. That means that they have a right to protect themselves, including preventing your behavior and choices from overriding their decision.

You are absolutely right. No-one has the right to cause your health harm willingly and a general consensus is that cars have a benefit to society whereas smoking generally has none. However I sometimes feel the focus is too much on smokers while there are a zillion other things in our environment that are even a lot more harmful than second-hand smoke from smokers. It is a proven fact that walking (and breathing air) up and down oxford street in London during 2 hours equals smoking 72 cigarettes. In Europe the situation is probably worse because many people drive Diesel cars which consume a lot less but exhaust more dangerous crap into the air in spite of very tight EU regulations.

I just feel there is no harm in people smoking outside as I think we have a lot of of other clean air issues to tackle first. (and our one main priorities for both the EU and the US should be getting rid of fossile fuels alltogether).

I once noticed the most peculiar situation on the platform of the Amsterdam railway station in Holland. There is a roof but no walls so you are practically standing outside but protected from the rain. There was one corner where people could smoke (although it was outside) while at the same time there were several diesel trains pumping out rusty exhaust fumes which had everybody coughing. Now it is incredible how people are made to believe they can become healthier if we do not tackle the main polution problems. I sometimes feel like we are all conned into focussing on smokers so the real issues do not need to be addressed.

For everybody's health in the long run to improve we need to switch to green energy and also check the chemical materials in our environment. I recently discovered that before 1981 companys did not have to test their new chemical plastics etc on harmfullness to health. Apalling. In the long run we will all become healthier only if we try to tackle all poluting issues and finally be able to save on our health costs.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2007, 12:02:20 pm »
Day 6.....   No serious cravings...  I took the entire day off yesterday Sunday which is unheard of for me.   I slept the entire day.  I hate that!  I know life is going on outisde my door and I am missing it.  I am missing a perfectly stellar powder day, I am missing going out with Will..  I get very depressed when I do this.   William says you need your sleep and to catch up...   My brain says otherwise.   I get very "cabin fevored" doing this and that resuls in depression which I hate being in.   So I took a Clanazopam to chill the mind even though its 20 degrees below zero and would not have been a great day to be on the mountain (fair weather skier).   

I am not trying to change the thread but just add to my worries and my over all mild depression.   Since starting my meds, my weight has really become an issue for me.  I have no intention of changing meds, just getting a better handle on my diet..  Self Esteem is and feeling good about oneself is my goal....   I dont plan on ever giving up on this... NEVER..  And all my efforts are now focused on this smoking thing as well as weight loss...  Blast it... (again)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:04:23 pm by Eric »

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2007, 12:27:13 pm »
Go Eric!   Go Eric!   Go Eric go!   

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2007, 12:07:51 am »
Still rooting for you, Eric!

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2007, 05:55:53 pm »
I never judge.  Living in Alabama, it would be hard not to know someone who smokes!  It's like KY used to be - everyone smokes!  I don't smoke (cigs) but they don't bother me.  It's insane how overreactive places are now.  You can't even smoke outside! 

I just don't smoke myself because my younger friend had hiv and he smoked like a fiend and he never quit.  Well, he quit, just not the way I would have liked him to.  We miss you, Ed!
Love,
Sam

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2007, 06:22:21 pm »
So true Sam, just about everybody in this state smokes.   And I read that we are No 2 nationwide in morbid obesity....

Yay Eric!  I am so proud of you honey.   Congratulations on your success so far, and keep up the good work.

AlanBama (who's always the 'exception' to the rule -  a skinny non-smoker!)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Force1

« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2007, 07:19:51 pm »
Im not a cigarette smoker, I do use tabacco(dip snuf) when I am outside, im out a lot I use tobacco.

not proud of my vice and yet I still do it.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2007, 08:04:33 pm »
Well, I have not killed anyone and I have not tossed a patron out on their ass because of being all out of wack for not smoking.... I am not going to let my mind play games with me like "Oh Eric, it was not that bad for you otherwise you would be shaking in your ski boots kinda thing"..  Thats what got me the last time I tried to quit.   Its not like a big deal right now....  I consider that a good sign.   I have so much to loose and so much to hopefully gain back including some of those cd4 dealies....  I can't and I will NOT go back..

Support here really helps me along as it does in so many aspects of my life... 

Oh guess what - ITS GAY SKI WEEK IN ASPEN AND I FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT..... Ooopsie..... http://www.gayskiweek.com/2007/photogal.htm

Love   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.