Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:03:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 149
Total: 150

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: A question about drug exposure  (Read 12732 times)

Offline Uk_worrier

A question about drug exposure
« on: January 23, 2007, 11:12:56 am »
Let me start by thanking all of the people who reply to worried people like myself, your advice is very reassuring.

Let me tell me you my situation before i go mad.....

On New years day i visited a Japanese Sex worker at a massage palour in London, i received Oral Sex off a lady (unprotected), i also fingered her. That is all what happened, No sex, just her giving me Oral and my Fingers in her. I am ashamed and was drunk,I also had some cocaine which i know didn't help and made my sexual feeling more prominent

I want to know if i can catch HIV through receiving oral?
Do you know anyone that has ever caught HIV through this way?
Do you think i should get tested?
I have had a few HIV tests before but all my previous sexual encounters have been protected.

When i have rang these helplines that offer advice for STD and HIV they said i am at risk because i had Unprotected sex. That makes me even more worried.

Once again thankyou for everyones support.

Offline Central79

Re: Please advise-
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:22:02 am »
Dear Friend

What you're describing is extremely low risk activity. The changes of catching HIV from receiving oral sex are very low, and I'm not aware of any cases of HIV being transmitted by fingering. You would have to have sores on your penis, and she would have to have sores if not outright blood in her mouth. Likewise for vaginal fingering - no sores I'd say you were fine.

I think you probably should have an HIV test, just to reassure yourself and because it's part of being, in the words of Scarlett Johanssen, a "decent human being". I can't imagine you being positive from this encounter.

So relax, it's highly improbable. Go get tested - I bet you're negative. And address your risk-taking behaviour (excess alcohol, cocaine and using prostitutes). Then bung a tenner to the American Foundation for Aids Research!

Yours,

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 11:48:17 am »
Matt speaks the truth.

I would not test over this specific incident myself.  But you should be testing every 6 months unless youre in a monogamous relationship.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:08:31 pm »
UK, actually Matt is NOT correct.

In the entire history of the epidemic there's never been a documented case of transmission from receiving a blowjob. I don't expect you to make history by becoming the first. Fingering is another non-risk activity.

Both of these fall into the category of "theoretical" risks in the sense that anything other masturbating yourself has some potential risk. But in the real world of HIV transmission just doesn't happen in this way.

There's no need for testing.

What is more concerning to me is that you were drinking excessively and drugging during this incident. Doing that and having casual, impulsive sex is a potentially dangerous combo. All too many people have become infected that way by slipping into unprotected intercourse.

Avoid it in the future.

As far as this time is concerned there is no basis for worry about HIV.   
Andy Velez

Offline Central79

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:42:44 am »
I think this is a difficult one in terms of HIV disease spread. Seperating out the relative risks of various activities is always going to be hard as most people engaged in a "theoretical risk" or "low risk" behaviour also report higher risk stuff when they test positive. So what do doctors document? The stuff that's perceived as higher risk stuff of course...

This is an interesting website: http://immaculateinfection.com/. If every case of HIV transmission is a tragedy, and it is, then we're going to have to think about this stuff. I worry about it as a positive man in a relationship with somebody negative...

This is just a generalisation and I don't think applies in your case Worrier... take care.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Uk_worrier

what happens to your body?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:19:56 am »
Sorry about the ignorance but i would like someone to tell me some information

If you had the HIV virus what would happen to your body first? and how long would it take the immune system to suffer?

1)Would cold sores appear around the lips?
2)Do you get Thrush around the Penis?
3)Do you have an increase in mouth ulcers?

These seem common symptoms but i seem to have these and it seems a horrible coincidence after a possible exposure.

I know it is uncommon to catch it this way but i swear i am the unlucky one, i had unprotected oral off a Japenese worker and am so worried i have HIV. I cant remember if i she had any obvious sores which could have spread and caused the HIV through the Penis, I don't remember washing it after, is it true it can live under the foreskin? I want to test but no its too early (3 weeks)

4) Can HIV live in saliva?
5)How can it be transmitted via Receiving Oral? is it possible?

One of the experts please advise me before i go mad!!!

Offline RapidRod

Re: what happens to your body?
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:25:58 am »
Please keep all of your questions and thought in your orginal thread. Go to the "Welcome" thread and read the tranmission lessions and all the other lessons on HIV.

Offline ACinKC

Re: what happens to your body?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:38:54 am »
There is no "checklist" as to how HIV affects your body when one becomes infected.  Only a test given at the appropriate time can conclusively tell you your HIV status.

Symptoms mean nothing.  Look at the people on this board for an example, many of them have a vast array of so called symptoms of HIV and virtually all of them test negative time and time again.
RIDE!!!

Offline Uk_worrier

A question about drug exposure
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 06:26:04 pm »
Hi all,

I have a question about in regards to HIV, i apologise if it may sound abit stupid but it would be useful to know.

Can HIV be passed on through Sharing Drugs such as 'Poppers' and sharing notes to sniff Drugs such as Cocaine?

Has there been any documented cases as 'Poppers' is a widely used Drug in the Gay clubbing scene here in the UK.
What if there was blood on the of a note or on the top of a container and then transferred up yours, could you get HIV this way?

thanks, especially the regulars who answer questions on here.

Offline RapidRod

Re: A question about drug exposure
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 06:29:49 pm »
Please keep all your questions and thoughts in your orginal thread.

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 06:35:21 pm »
okay, ill make sure i do next time rod

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 06:35:59 pm »
UK,

I've merged all of your additional threads into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Poppers have nothing to do with hiv transmission. You should have read the Welcome thread and Transmission Lesson by now, you've been here enough times. Hiv is transmitted during unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse or sharing needles during drug use.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 06:45:46 pm »
Thanks Ann. Looking at websites like this are informative and help people like myself become more familar with infection routes for HIV, i am curious but will save questions for one thread opposed to starting new threads,

Thanks again and i appreciate your knowledge.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 07:06:46 am »
UK,

Glad to help.

You're free to ask questions (keeping them in THIS thread) but before you ask, think about what you've learned so far and see if you don't already know the answer. The science behind hiv transmission is really fairly straight-forward. If an activity you are worried about where transmission is concerned isn't included in the Transmission Lesson, that's because it's not a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 07:43:55 am »
Hi all,

I have a question about in regards to HIV, i apologise if it may sound abit stupid but it would be useful to know.

Can HIV be passed on through Sharing Drugs such as 'Poppers' and sharing notes to sniff Drugs such as Cocaine?

Has there been any documented cases as 'Poppers' is a widely used Drug in the Gay clubbing scene here in the UK.
What if there was blood on the of a note or on the top of a container and then transferred up yours, could you get HIV this way?

thanks, especially the regulars who answer questions on here.
I have no clue what "Poppers" are so I cannot speculate on that.  Cocaine--not from the act of snorting.  The problem with drugs is that they make you stupid--you don't care who you have sex with and you aren't likely to use a condom.  That would be where the HIV risk is from--having risky sex, which is what drugs increase your likeyhood of partaking in.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 04:52:24 pm »
Its been three weeks since i went a club and sniffed some poppers on two differant occassions, these were passed onto me from some guys (it was a gay night although i am not myself) the thing that is worrying me is how i feel at the moment, really runny nose, no congestion, really tired, headache etc, i have something i have never had before.

Prior to me sniffing this drug i had a nose bleed, that is why i am so worried The questions i am asking is;

Could HIV be passed on through this method? could it have been in the container of this drug and passed up the nose and into my blood stream?

Has it ever been passed in through this method?

I have read the welcome thread and can't see any answers to my question. 

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 04:56:25 pm »
It is not possible to contract HIV in this manner at all.  HIV is transmitted INSIDE the body.  No way shape or form does this happen like you describe.

HIV is not transmitted from environmental surfaces, or through the nose.  It quickly becomes degraded outside the body.  Not to mention you dont even know if it was there in the first place.  AND, the chemicals in the poppers would break it down even further.

NO risk.
RIDE!!!

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 04:58:43 pm »
Okay, thanks for that information.

Offline Uk_worrier

Re: Am I going mad?
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 02:27:36 pm »
Although i am no expert i know that you have past the 3 month window period and if you are HIV+ (which is highly unlikely from recieving a Blow Job) you would show up in a test. Go get tested as a peace of mind.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 02:39:10 pm »
UK,

I removed the post you made in another person's thread and placed it here, in your own thread, which is the only place in this forum you should be posting. You are in no position to give advice to anyone here. Please read the Welcome thread and pay attention to our forum posting guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 06:05:26 pm »
apologise for the last post Ann.

from a personal point of view i now understand HIV cannot be passed through sharing drugs such as Poppers but i am still concerned about it being passed through getting a Blow Job.

Okay, what if an infected person had ulcers, cuts in their mouth and sucked off someone with soreness under the foreskin? could it be transferred through this method?

Can HIV get passed on through grazes and soreness on the skin?

Why is HIV impossible to be passed on through a Blow Job?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 06:17:45 pm »
UK,

Not one single person has ever been infected through getting a blowjob and you will not be the first. Hundreds of thousands of blowjobs happen all around the world every hour of every day, under any type of physical condition you can possibly imagine. If this were a mode of transmission, we'd know about it by now.

It really is time you put this unhealthy fear behind you. Perhaps counseling may help.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 06:33:39 pm »
Ann,

I don’t need counselling i just need reassuring. There are so many different opinions around, i understand that you are based in the UK, why is it that People from the sexual health line say "you had a risk, unprotected sex get tested" and other reliable sources here say "No risk, you cant get HIV from a Blow job"?

Who do you believe when there are so many contradicting opinions?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 06:37:40 pm »
UK,

I guess you believe who you want to believe. If you can't bring yourself to believe that not one single person has ever gotten infected through getting their dick sucked, then go test and collect your negative result. Just don't expect to keep coming here to wring your hands over a blowjob. OK?

If you want to know why the person on the other end of your phone says you need to test over a blowjob, ask them. I can't read their mind for you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 05:16:03 pm »
I have a further question, i have developed a rash which is a horrible coincidence but i hope thats all it is, what kind of rash will appear someone has been exposed to HIV? can i have some information please

is it itchy or non itchy?
How long will it appear for?
When is it likely to come up? during sercroversion?

thanks

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 05:31:10 pm »
All good questions to ask your Dr. while he is examining your rash.
RIDE!!!

Offline Uk_worrier

further question
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 05:51:30 pm »
Back for a further question,

Although you claim my situation was a now risk (fingering and received oral from a Jap worker)
i am still worrying >:(

I looked on a very credible site about transmission routes; it said HIV can be transmitted to males through the glans, or head of the penis

if this women was HIV+ would the saliva in her mouth be able to infect (there were lots of it that night) weep through the glans on my penis head and infect that way? if she had bad mouth care i.e ulcers could this cause a route through the glands? I am not circumcised so that would not go in my favour

Information on this would help and educate and I have read the welcome thread before. 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 06:05:12 pm »
<<I looked on a very credible site about transmission routes; it said HIV can be transmitted to males through the glans, or head of the penis>>

In an uncircumsized male, the semi-permeable nature of the area underneath the foreskin seems to contain a number of the specific dendritic cells that HIv targets. In a circumsized male, this skin is keratinized, and as impermeable as any other skin.

However, saliva is not infectious, even a lot of it. HIV is not a communicable disease, but an infectious disease. Were HIV spread through saliva, the human race would be in peril.

You simply do not get HIV from receiving oral sex. Saliva contains over a dozen different elements which render HIV inert. Kissing and receiving oral sex present ZERO risk to you.

I am sorry that you were given conflicting information on this thread. I would hope that in the future, corrections can be addressed in a more timely manner. This site provides some of the most up to date and quantifiable, accurate HIV transmission information available.

The assessment of your "risk" is not a claim. It is scientific information that you are, of course, free to reject if you desire. It is, however, based on sound and accurate scientific data, and not supposition.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 06:19:49 pm »
The assessment of your "risk" is not a claim. It is scientific information that you are, of course, free to reject if you desire. It is, however, based on sound and accurate scientific data, and not supposition.

so your saying my risk wasn't even a risk? it has been proved by scientist that you cannot get HIV through getting sucked?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 06:34:48 pm »
<<
so your saying my risk wasn't even a risk? it has been proved by scientist that you cannot get HIV through getting sucked?>>

That is correct.

source material:

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS:  Volume 16(17)  22 November 2002  pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan, John Sb

Shugars DC, Sweet SP, Malamud D, Kazmi S, Page-Shafer K, Challacombe SJ (2002)
Saliva and inhibition of HIV-1 infection: molecular mechanisms.Oral Diseases 8: 169-175 Suppl. 2 2002

Study Shows Component of Saliva is Very Effective in Blocking AIDS Virus Potential for Use in Preventing Sexual Transmission of HIV
http://www.aegis.com/news/pr/1998/pr980105.html

Study: Saliva Prevents AIDS
http://www.aegis.com/news/ap/1995/ap950114.html

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 06:39:44 pm »
<<
so your saying my risk wasn't even a risk? it has been proved by scientist that you cannot get HIV through getting sucked?>>

That is correct.

source material:

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS:  Volume 16(17)  22 November 2002  pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan, John Sb

Shugars DC, Sweet SP, Malamud D, Kazmi S, Page-Shafer K, Challacombe SJ (2002)
Saliva and inhibition of HIV-1 infection: molecular mechanisms.Oral Diseases 8: 169-175 Suppl. 2 2002

Study Shows Component of Saliva is Very Effective in Blocking AIDS Virus Potential for Use in Preventing Sexual Transmission of HIV
http://www.aegis.com/news/pr/1998/pr980105.html

Study: Saliva Prevents AIDS
http://www.aegis.com/news/ap/1995/ap950114.html

Holy smokes.  UK, if all that doesn't calm your worries, nothing will.  Don't see how you could get more reassurance from a forum than that.  Well done (as always), JK.   ;)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Uk_worrier

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2007, 06:52:56 pm »
okay, yes feel better. Them studies are about 11 years old though but guess it doesn't make a difference.
Thanks for taking the time out to reply

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2007, 07:01:22 pm »
okay, yes feel better. Them studies are about 11 years old though but guess it doesn't make a difference.
Thanks for taking the time out to reply

Um....actually, one of them says 1995 and another 1998, but the others are 2002-present (as recently as 2006).
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 09:24:28 pm »
the serodiscordant studies are all 2002 and 2006. The research was done over a ten year period for the Romero study.

And the anti-HIV properties of saliva have been well established for over a decade now.

While epidemiology related studies can and do become obsolete as new information is developed, purely biological studies rarely do. After all, when was the last time researchers re-evaluated the antibacterial properties of penicillin?

I urge you to actually read the studies in question, before questioning them.

Welcome Thread

Offline Uk_worrier

question about thrush and HIV
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 02:57:03 pm »
Hi all,

I haven’t been on for a while and want to ask for some advice for a female friend, She may have had an exposure back in Feb of this year, and she hasn’t had a test as yet but will soon. Her concern is on going thrush, she keeps getting it and it wont go away, this has been ongoing for 4 months now.

After some research i have found that this is a symptom of HIV infection,

-Am i right?
-Would HIV+ women get Thrush as an early sign of infection or is it something you would get after being exposure for say a year?

please give  advice, thank you very much!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 04:39:58 pm »
I've merged your latest question with your previous thread. Please keep all of your entries in this same thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Thrush can be a very persistent problem and difficult to get rid of. It is absolutely not an HIV specific occurence and should not be interpreted as such. Yes, it happens to those who are positive and also frequently to those who aren't.

The only way she can accurately know her status is by getting tested at 13 weeks past her most recent unprotected incident. And as her friend you might remind her that everytime she has unprotected intercourse she is putting her life at risk. It's a friendly thing to that.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.