Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:17:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 316
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 310
Total: 310

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently diagnosed with a form of CIDP  (Read 5952 times)

Offline DavidinCA92284

Recently diagnosed with a form of CIDP
« on: March 03, 2015, 02:30:32 pm »
Hi, haven't posted in a long time, but wanted to share one of my recent diagnoses.  I changed neurologists because the last one didn't want to do any further testing believing that I had typical PN due to either being a long term HIV survivor or due to medications.  The switch to the new Neurologist came with new EMG study that discovered not only problems in my legs, but also in my arms (elbow joints) leading to muscle weakness. 

Another test revealed through a Spinal Fluid sample, 6 Oligoclonal Bands observed, which is associated with a variety of inflammatory brain diseases like MS - but my Neurologist suggests I should only be concerned about the inflammation issue impacting the nerves and loss of myelin - which helps define my case from a general PN case to Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy.

Have any long term survivors on this board been diagnosed with CIDP?  If so, I'd like to hear from you as how you're dealing with the issues of the Chronic condition and if on any treatment for it.  My Doctor has suggested I look into Gamunex-C (immune globulin) and therefore need to also find out from patients that have taken it or are currently on such intravenous process to see how it was tolerated and if there were improvements in physical health.    Also, I'm very interested to see how CIDP patients cope with pain associated with neuropathy.  I'm currently taking both Lyrica and Citalopram for pain management.

Offline guitargal

Re: Recently diagnosed with a form of CIDP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:28:33 am »
when my pan started i looked up cidp..I had pain events for 2 years.. where it was like electrical impulses of pain surging through my whole body and severe muscle, joint, bone pain…ugh!

i have not been diagnosed with it (was diagnosed with stage 3 chronic kidney disease and bone loss..damn tenofovir and i was prescribed it for years even with a low eGFR! !)and am interested in following this discussion.

I was told fibromyalgia, some general neuropathy in feet, chronic fatigue, that it was mental..yeah..like i wanted it to happen..duh! quack quack..

best to you! and will follow this.
What a long strange trip it's been

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:53:23 pm »

Hi David ,
                    I have not been diagnosed with this .

Are you sure the Lyrica is not causing the issues ?

I was on Finofibrate for 6 months ,   I was getting weaker by the
   day !
   A few weeks ago I was putting a starter in bob's truck , I was so weak
   I could not lift the starter up to replace it .
   A light went off !  I called my Doctor and told him I was having angina
  and was getting so weak as not to be able to function with daily activites !
  I was taken off  the Cohlersterol med , and I am gaining back my stength .

Just my thoughts ,
                                                                        Carl

P.S. My spell check does not work  :-[

" Live and let Live "

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:22:01 pm »
Hey Carl,
well.............I've been having pain of various types (including spasms and muscle weakness) for more than a number of years.  The only drug that I can tolerate to control about 50% of the pain has been Lyrica.    IF Lyrica is causing my CIDP, it would be news, but I doubt it considering the Spinal Fluid test shows evidence of actual inflammation.   And, just like my AIDS regiment, can't really go off it considering I'd be in too much pain and would be in bed all day without it.   So, don't really know what the answer is, but I appreciate your response.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »
What's the long term plan?  Hoping you get some relief.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »
What's the long term plan?  Hoping you get some relief.

Long term plan . . . at first reading this I thought what a great question!  And then my next thought was - how laughable.   That's not an insult to the author, just my reaction to that part of the post.

There is no plan.  No plan from my Primary Care Doctor.  No plan from my HIV Doctor.  And the only plan from my Neurologist is to suggest that the ball is in my court to determine whether Immune Globulin Injections (Gamunex-C) is something I'd like to try considering his diagnosis for me of CIDP.

So, My plan is to see how healthy my heart is in order to actually undergo such IV treatment.  To that end, I had a physical and heart stress test - that revealed some kind of problem with either a nerve not sending signals OR a blockage somewhere.  It sounds like the Cardiologist might recommend an Angiogram when I see him on 3/16.

That puts the nerve condition on the back burner until I can determine what the problem is or not is with my heart/arteries.

Offline tj

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
I have had peripheral neuropathy for a number of years but recently (March) I had an acceleration with increased leg weakness. Mine is a mixed bag of drug effect, HIV itself, diabetes, and spinal stenosis. CIDP among other things in in the diagnosis. Reality is, my neurologist does not know. I'm told we are in uncharted waters and there is no body of science to know what is actually happening.

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »
It sounds like the Cardiologist might recommend an Angiogram when I see him on 3/16.

That puts the nerve condition on the back burner until I can determine what the problem is or not is with my heart/arteries.

UPDATE:    Well, I had the angiogram and the good news is be that I have a good heart  :P   So.....the next step for me was off to the Surgeon to determine (from a prior post) about my HPV issues and there appears to be nothing much for him to have done on that score as well . . . except he did remove something probably not significant that didn't prompt him from coming to see me after the procedure.  So, I have a follow up with him in about a week or so for a post-Op.

As far as the CIDP issues, I still have yet to follow-up with my neurologist because of the above mentioned procedures.   A concern for continued follow-up is not so much pain management, but a fear that the weakness could lead eventually to the requirement of a walker or wheelchair some time in the future.  I'd rather be pro-active as some of these Doctors have a wait and see attitude because many of these Doctors are swimming up the same stream without paddles as they don't have any answers - not because they don't want to have answers, but because medicine has not advanced far enough to understand the human body to the extent we, with such conditions, have questions.    I wouldn't mind a "V" Ship to mend my body, living as a human/lizard creature may have good benefits. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.