Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:57:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 586
Total: 587

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A week into meds and swollen lymph nodes....  (Read 6663 times)

Offline HippieLady

A week into meds and swollen lymph nodes....
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:10:48 am »
Hi everyone :)

I started my meds on June 4th....Truvada, Norvair and Reyataz.  I've been doing well on them so far, just a little nausea and vomiting more so if I eat dairy before bed.  Yesterday I noticed swelling in the lymph nodes in my neck...it is painful!  It hurts to turn my head too far because my jaw compresses the node.  I was running a low grade fever last night with chills and shaking. 

This morning my fever is still very low grade...99.8, and my lymph nodes are even more pronounced.  I don't think I could even reach my ID doctor on a Sunday...I never tried.  But the swollen nodes kinda freak me out.  The last time they were this big and painful was when I was going through my serconversion sickness.  Oh and my throat does not hurt at all on the inside, only the swollen nodes hurt like the dickens.

Do you think maybe my body is just reacting to lowering VL and raising CD4 already?
~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Re: A week into meds and swollen lymph nodes....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »
Hi Hippie Lady, sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  I understand that sometime a rebounding immune system can cause an inflammation called IRIS.  You can find information on this site by searching for that term.

Or, it could be unrelated to HIV or HAART.  If you want to see a doctor today you might try a walk-in clinic.  I gave up on expecting any short-term help from my HIV doctor or GP.  I started using a walk-in clinic for things I want looked at right away.  The hours are convenient, and they seem unfazed by HIV.

Edit -- I don't see a lesson for IRIS at Poz.com, so here is a link to an article at The Body
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:45:29 pm by BlueMoon »
It's a complex world

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:52:27 pm »
Thank you Blue!

I had read some info on TheBody about IRIS in the wee hours of the morning.  But it's also been very windy here and lots of nasty crud can get kicked up in the desert during a good windy day.  I've had a stuffy nose for a few days so maybe it's allergies or a summer cold.

Having had mono once before in my 20's and then a pretty bad seroconversion sickness...the swollen lymph nodes freaked me out at first.  I feel no other pain like when I swallow or anything.  I'm going to try not to worry about it too much.  I'm not touching them or feeling them...I know they are swollen cause they hurt and I can see them so there's no need to touch them.  I am putting a cool cloth on my neck to try and reduce the swelling and discomfort.  At this point I guess that's really all I can do.
~Katie~

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:11:43 pm »
Thank you Blue!

I had read some info on TheBody about IRIS in the wee hours of the morning.  But it's also been very windy here and lots of nasty crud can get kicked up in the desert during a good windy day.  I've had a stuffy nose for a few days so maybe it's allergies or a summer cold.

Having had mono once before in my 20's and then a pretty bad seroconversion sickness...the swollen lymph nodes freaked me out at first.  I feel no other pain like when I swallow or anything.  I'm going to try not to worry about it too much.  I'm not touching them or feeling them...I know they are swollen cause they hurt and I can see them so there's no need to touch them.  I am putting a cool cloth on my neck to try and reduce the swelling and discomfort.  At this point I guess that's really all I can do.

What was your beginning CD4, IRIS usually only happens when people have a very low CD4.  I went through months of rash which I presume was caused by IRIS as my CD4 slowly rose.  Still under the AIDS range but I look and feel fine now.  Actually I may be over 200 CD4 now bu it's been 3 weeks since my blood draw and they haven't given me my results.

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:22:22 pm »
What was your beginning CD4, IRIS usually only happens when people have a very low CD4.  I went through months of rash which I presume was caused by IRIS as my CD4 slowly rose.  Still under the AIDS range but I look and feel fine now.  Actually I may be over 200 CD4 now bu it's been 3 weeks since my blood draw and they haven't given me my results.

My CD4 just before starting therapy was 196...I think.  My labs right before that my CD4 count was 220 and my VL was 4,510. 
~Katie~

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:38:14 pm »
My CD4 just before starting therapy was 196...I think.  My labs right before that my CD4 count was 220 and my VL was 4,510. 

Dunno, IRIS comes on when your immune system has been low for a long time and it lets everything get by it.  When the HAART starts working it kicks back into life and starts fighting off everything at once which initially makes you feel pretty terrible, but it's of course better than the alternative.  That may be what's going on with you, if it's not too expensive or too much trouble you may want to see a physician and get their opinion.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »
Hi everyone :)

I started my meds on June 4th....Truvada, Norvair and Reyataz.  I've been doing well on them so far, just a little nausea and vomiting more so if I eat dairy before bed.  Yesterday I noticed swelling in the lymph nodes in my neck...it is painful!  It hurts to turn my head too far because my jaw compresses the node.  I was running a low grade fever last night with chills and shaking. 

This morning my fever is still very low grade...99.8, and my lymph nodes are even more pronounced.  I don't think I could even reach my ID doctor on a Sunday...I never tried.  But the swollen nodes kinda freak me out.  The last time they were this big and painful was when I was going through my serconversion sickness.  Oh and my throat does not hurt at all on the inside, only the swollen nodes hurt like the dickens.

Do you think maybe my body is just reacting to lowering VL and raising CD4 already?

Eh, the nodes they swell. For all sorts of reasons. May have nothing to do with teh HIV.

MtD

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »
My nodes remained swollen for about 6 months after starting meds...especially the little ones on my ear and under my chin. They've since gone back to "normal". But I still have flare ups now and again, Doc says nothing to get worked up about.

Hopefully yours will subside soon enough.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 01:34:49 am »
Oh the nodes.  I got them so bad after infection.  I had them on both sides of neck, under chin, behind ears, in the shoulders, and groin.  They actually stayed swollen for years, but the pain eventually went away.  I had a tooth infection earlier in the year and the ones in my neck started hurting like hell.  They gave me antibiotics and took care of the tooth and the pain went away. 

Do you have any dental/mouth issues?  Or, any sinus issues/allergies?  Since you're only experiencing the ones in your neck, it seems they are local.  It could just be a coincidence.  If they don't go down soon, I would talk to your doc.   

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:21:27 pm »
I left a message for the nurse today, she called me back and I explained the situation...nausea, vomiting, swollen lymph nodes and night fevers.  She wants to see me first thing in the morning....Yay!  Total sarcastic yay there....the clinic is downtown and I live about an hour away from downtown on a good day without rush hour traffic.  And I'll have to take my kids with me.  >:(

I am nervous as to why she would want to see me so quickly.  I thought they'd just call in something for the nausea and call it a day.  My husband is quite worried as well.  We don't think we can handle more medical bombs dropped on us at the moment.
~Katie~

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:51 pm »
I left a message for the nurse today, she called me back and I explained the situation...nausea, vomiting, swollen lymph nodes and night fevers.  She wants to see me first thing in the morning....Yay!  Total sarcastic yay there....the clinic is downtown and I live about an hour away from downtown on a good day without rush hour traffic.  And I'll have to take my kids with me.  >:(

I am nervous as to why she would want to see me so quickly.  I thought they'd just call in something for the nausea and call it a day.  My husband is quite worried as well.  We don't think we can handle more medical bombs dropped on us at the moment.

I'm sure they just want to make sure all is okay.  When I gave blood about 3 weeks ago for my upcoming doc appt, I told them that I had been having bad pains in my right rib area.  They sent me to get it checked out.  My liver numbers were good, so it seemed I was just constipated.  I guess they just wanted to be better safe than sorry.  I'm sure they will tell you it is probably nothing or IRIS.

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:13:33 am »
Another rough night last night with vomiting and high fever.  I work up with a rash all over my torso.  I'm going to see my ID doctor this morning, I really hope she gets to the bottom of this today.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't handle throwing up any more.  My whole body hurts!  I have so many lymph nodes swollen right now...neck, head and armpit.  I feel like ass!  Wish me luck that it's simple like a med reaction or something.

~HippieLady
~Katie~

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 01:25:16 pm »
My ID doctor said the fever, rash and nausea is from the Bactrim...I'm allergic to it.  She said the swollen nodes are due to IRIS.  So I'm to stop the bactrim and she gave me a script for Zofran.  Does anyone know how long it takes Zofran to take the nausea away?
~Katie~

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 08:19:21 pm »
A lot of people are allergic to bactrim...actually I have to wonder if there are more people allergic to it than not.  I didn't know you were on bactrim or I would've brought it up.  Did the doctor give you a prescription for dapsone or mepron in place of the bactrim?

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 08:26:14 pm »
A lot of people are allergic to bactrim...actually I have to wonder if there are more people allergic to it than not.  I didn't know you were on bactrim or I would've brought it up.  Did the doctor give you a prescription for dapsone or mepron in place of the bactrim?

No she said that because my CD4 was only a few numbers below 200 at my last labs she didn't feel the need to replace it with something else.  I am pretty pleased to not be taking it anymore.
~Katie~

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 10:36:35 am »

I've only had a swollen lymph node once, when I first got infected with HIV.  It lasted for about a month.  No pain.  But throbbing lymph nodes have been a pretty regular occurance in the six years since then, always under the arms.  However, in my recent illness (CMV infection) there was quite regular, and sometimes rather painful throbbing of lymph nodes in upper thighs.  Here's the interesting thing--the throbbing resumed AFTER I got better!  Maybe it's just a feature of recovery, which in your case would be a hopeful sign? 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 12:54:03 pm »
I had this problem in the past, before I was ever diagnosed...In my self-denial phase. It was not fun to say the least. I got this awful pain under my right armpit and it just exploded. I got a high fever about 102 and my node there swelled up as big as a baseball and stayed that way for about 3 weeks. It hurt just doing basic things like moving around. Agony! I went on a stong antibiotic and it cleared up. But later that summer (2007) I got a small lump in my groin and my node there swelled up too. It also cleared up after antibiotics. Looking back, Im sure this was right after I was infected. Luckily I havent had anymore of this. But it seems like a common immune response or reaction? Hope you feel better
xo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.