Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:59:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 607
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Day 1, Long Read  (Read 5508 times)

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
Day 1, Long Read
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »
So for the last 10 years or so, every hobby I have had, or interest I have had has always led me to joining a web forum that revolves around that topic.  They are always full of knowledgeable and friendly people willing to help out complete strangers sitting on the other side of a computer screen.

Yesterday I found out that I was HIV+.  About 2 weeks ago I got a call from the local health office letting me know that someone I had recently had sex with tested positive for Syphilis and that I needed to go in to get tested.  They drew blood and gave me a shot of biclilin just in case.  Along with he Syphilis test they said they would also run an HIV test.

Yesterday they finally called me to go in to get my results.  So I headed down there and the counselor sat me down and told me the Syphilis came back negative, but the HIV came back positive.  I think she may have thought I already knew, so she was kind of nonchalant about it.  She figured out I was hearing it for the first time and apologized for not being more tactful.  She asked me about my sexual history and discussed a bunch of stuff with me.  The last thing they did was to take 5 vials of blood so that they could run some tests to get my levels.  I go back in a week to get the results and then I'll go see a private doctor so that we can discuss the results and lay out a plan.

So the first thing I did when I got home was to go search out a good HIV+ forum, and here I am.  While I was waiting for my account to get approved yesterday I spent the entire afternoon just reading through posts.  In a few hours I was able to familiarize my self with some of the stuff I'll need to learn even more about in the near future, but so far this site has been really helpful in just one day.

Mentally I seem to be doing ok, over the 2 weeks of waiting for the results I kind of already had a feeling of what the result would be.  The counselor did notice I seemed to be pretty accepting of everything and I basically told her I can't change the result, so I might as well focus on the future.

The one thing I am missing is the close support structure, my family all lives about 4 hours away, and the friends I have locally are not really close enough to confide in.  I'm going to go check out one of the local support groups that is held for people who have recently been diagnosed positive.

One thing that was weird to me yesterday was walking around the grocery store and thinking that people were looking at me and knew I was somehow different.  On the flip side I found myself looking at people and thinking to myself how they were negative and were leading a different lifestyle then me.  I also get a weird feeling inside me every time I realize that I am now HIV+.

Sorry for the long post, but it does feel good to get it out, and I look forward to learning more from here, and meeting some good people.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline vaguesbleues

Re: Day 1, Long Read
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:21:04 pm »
First of all, welcome to the forums.  I hope that you find this to be as much of a great resource as I did last year when I was diagnosed.  Be sure to take the time to learn as much as you can about HIV on the "About HIV/AIDS" tab at the top of the page.  There's a bunch of information that you can be helpful in you taking control of the situation.

I can relate to your feeling about suddenly feeling different from everyone around you.  I remember my first trip out to a gay bar after my diagnosis, I just couldn't enjoy myself feeling that I was somehow tainted and no longer desirable.  Don't worry, I found that this feeling can be pretty normal in the beginning.  But the good news it that, after a year, I no longer feel that way.  Other than when I go to pop the pill in the evening right before bed, I find that I rarely even think about being HIV+.  You'll get there, too. 

I'm glad to hear that you're actively seeking out a support network as you seek to come to terms with your diagnosis.  This helps a ton!  Not only will that allow you to share your concerns and fears in a safe space, but you'll also learn so much from others going through the same thing. 

Best of luck in the days ahead!
3/10/11 - HIV-
4/26/11 - Inconclusive WB
5/19/11 - HIV+, VL < 50, T-Cell 747 (30%)
6/13/11 - VL 345, T-Cell 841 (30%)
8/23/11 - VL 50,100, T-Cell 1155 (19%) - CMV
9/18/11 - Started Atripla
11/7/11 - VL 489, T-Cell 881 (31%)
2/8/12 - VL Undetectable!, T-Cell 772 (34%)
8/8/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1070 (42%)
11/5/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1174 (35%)
3/18/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 972 (28%)
10/4/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 1025 (34%)
2/9/14 - VL UD
7/31/14 - VL UD
1/29/15 - VL UD, T-Cell 1027 (32%)
9/15/15 - VL UD
10/21/16 - VL UD, T-cell 765 (39%)
4/28/17 - VL 29
8/17 - started Genvoya
10/27/17 - VL UD, T-cell 880 (35%)
3/30/18 - VL UD
9/28/18 - VL UD, T-cell 980 (34%)
4/19/19 - VL UD
10/18/19 - VL UD
10/22/20 - VL UD, T-cell 1005 (35%)

Offline synergyhomepage

• Live like there is no tommarow
    • Valley Aids Information Network
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:21 am »
It took me a while, but If found a support group right where I live.

It really helps and Im sure with the power of this forum we could help you find one  ;)

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:23:26 am »
It took me a while, but If found a support group right where I live.

It really helps and Im sure with the power of this forum we could help you find one  ;)

I did find one group in town, unfortunately they only meet every other week, and the day I got my test results was the day after they last met.  So I basically have to wait 2 weeks until they meet again.

I have been able to chat with a few people online which has been nice, and reading other stories here has been extremely helpful.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:23:29 pm »

One thing that was weird to me yesterday was walking around the grocery store and thinking that people were looking at me and knew I was somehow different.  On the flip side I found myself looking at people and thinking to myself how they were negative and were leading a different lifestyle then me.  I also get a weird feeling inside me every time I realize that I am now HIV+.

Sorry you tested poz, but welcome to the forums all the same.

The feelings you describe are perfectly normal. I thought I had HIV stuck on my forehead for many many weeks. It abates with time. Give yourself that time to adjust to your new reality, it's important. Don't rush things.

And of course this forum and other support groups are a great place to learn and just vent to people who understand what's going on with you.

Best
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:45 pm »
It's been an interesting couple of days I guess.  Still haven't gotten emotional at all and that kind of puzzles me I guess.  Obviously the next big event will be next week when I get my first set of labs back and then go to meet with an ID doctor, not sure if that will make it any more real or not.

This site so far has been a huge help, I'm more familiar with what medicine is available and have a somewhat mental list of what I would like to end up having to take.  I've also been able to get more familiar about how transmission from me to someone else, or someone else to me works.  Being single makes it somewhat easier, I don't have to go through what couples do when one is positive and one if negative. 

One resource I am having trouble finding is a good dating site for positive people.  Both straight and gay people.  I'm not looking to complicate my life with that right now, but more just to see that it's out there.

One good thing that's happening though is I changed the way I eat as soon as I got home.  Usually I eat a lot of take out, but since I found out I figured now would be a good time to start new.  So I actually went to the grocery store and bought groceries!  I know it's not mandatory to eat 100% healthy, but I figured why not, I can certainly use the break from the fast food.

Lastly the other thing I have had to change was my sexual activities.  I got rid of my online profiles and created new ones that reflect my new HIV status.  It's not right to pretend to not be something, especially when others are at risk.  What's funny is I don't seem to get quite as many message as I used to!  But all in all that's ok, I have plenty on my mind to keep me occupied.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 05:53:41 pm »
Hey congrats on the even keel so far! And of course, if you do experience a meltdown, come here and we'll talk you through it. Well, talk, browbeat, whatever.

ALso, it's never a bad idea to eat healthy. If/when you go on meds, it will be even more important since some of the meds have side effects that can be triggered by, say, eating a high-fat meal when you take them. Good to have healthy alternatives on hand. This coming from a guy who took his meds with a grilled cheese sandwich and a Coke Zero ten minutes ago.

And yeah, dating sites - even Poz Personals - seem pretty hit and miss. I always worry about scam artists who seem to pop up pretty regularly. For the record, I've been in almost exclusively serodiscordant relationships since my diagnosis, and there's not been an awful lot of HIV related dramaIt's mainly about finding the kind of people who you'd want to hang with anyway - smart, educated, funny and accepting. Oh and cute, because life's too short.

It's great to know that this site is helping. It's really one of, if not THE best HIV information site around. I know we're always tweaking our LESSONS to make them current.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »

Hello  WindySkies  ,
                                 I am sorry you tested POZ .

But here you are  :)

I am glad you found us , We all like to listen and give great advice .

In response  to you shopping , when I was diagnosed full blown AIDS I felt
  dirty when I shopped , Well   8 years later I do not give it a thought  , unless I
see a hot man  in the store  :P

Hoping to hear more from you .

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:53:43 pm »
One thing that was weird to me yesterday was walking around the grocery store and thinking that people were looking at me and knew I was somehow different.  On the flip side I found myself looking at people and thinking to myself how they were negative and were leading a different lifestyle then me.  I also get a weird feeling inside me every time I realize that I am now HIV+..
I had those feelings. 
Thankfully, they will pass.
Everything will be mundane again and you'll be happy for that.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.