Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:25:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: September POZ MAG -- Loves IT!!!  (Read 63581 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: September POZ MAG -- Loves IT!!!
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2007, 05:46:46 pm »
You can tick tock away.  Given the nature of the dialogue thus far, I've advised them not to reply.  I wouldn't wish this thread on my worst enemy.

I have to say I am disappointed that the folks at Poz responsible for writing and publishing this article will not make any statement, given that it has generated so much discussion among your readers.  I'd like to avoid controversy too, but I've learned that oftentimes the conversation you don't want to have is the one you need to have.  Not that an immediate response is needed, or a prolonged engagement.  Just a simple statement on the intent of this article, and their views on readers' reactions. 

In the absence of this, I hope that the Poz editors consider and discuss the views that have been expressed here at their next meeting.  If not, they are missing out on a valuable source of feedback from their readers.  I agree with the point David_NC makes about the folks at Poz distancing themselves from their readers:  it doesn't benefit anyone.  So I encourage to think about ways to not only solicit more input from your readers, but also provide feedback to them.

If folks want to do something constructive about POZ's editorial decisions, I'd advise them to send constructive comments to letters@poz.com, where readers submit letters to the editor for possible publication.

Done!  (Though I still believe that by limiting yourself to letters to the editor, you are missing out on a valuable source of information from your readers. )

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline dixieman

« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2007, 06:02:52 pm »
Ok... I read the article and I in my opinion thought it was very superficial...lacking in substance. I definately would not want an individual whose 19  more worried about how he looks to speak in front of my nephew and niece and explain the joys of hiv+ ... whether he's doing that or not its just my perception and opinion... also while Bucko was alittle harsh in words and opinions he was reflecting and critizing the article and made some Valuable Points... enough said... in retropect its called Responsible Journalism... or there lack of... and the Editor of Poz should have caught this.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2007, 07:16:24 pm »
I've been doing some chores around the house for the past couple of hours.  Those times are often the most productive mentally, for some reason.  One thing I was thinking about was this thread and all the comments and criticisms. 

I'd like to actually congratulate Jesse on the interview, as I should when anybody accomplishes a personal goal.  The main thing I get from all this is that your reality is not my reality which is not anybody else's reality.  Jesse does not have much experience with HIV yet... nor do I, for that matter.  Perhaps he's not the best candidate for speaking of living with HIV.  He is a person that became infected, as will many more his age and younger.  He's also relatively inexperienced with life in general.  I shouldn't expect him to act completely like an adult, although my impression is that he's a bit too attention oriented to me.  Of course, I've had 22 years since I was 19 to mellow out and learn some tact and about life in general.  I'm sure that a 19 year old me would possibly get on my 41 year old nerves somewhat.

Yes, I think that an 'experienced' HIV'er would be able to give more insight about living with this virus.  Maybe that wasn't the intent of the interview, though.  See, lots of people still think that only the really slutty, the junkies, gays, or the truly unfortunate (accidental infections from jobs, etc) are HIV+ or have AIDS.  We all know that's not true.  Many old timers have grown up with this disease all around them, killing their friends, husbands, wives, children, etc.  Many of those more recently infected have been spared the horrors of the early '80's and '90's before HAART or before we even had an understanding how HIV attacked our bodies.  In a sense, many are / were sheltered from HIV and AIDS.  I know I was.

Those who do become infected at such early ages surely need peers, people close to their age, people they can look up to and respect.  This puts a burden on somebody like Jesse.  It's up to him to make the best of it.  My hopes are that Jesse will make the best of the publicity he's gained from POZ®'s article, and that his newly found 'publicity' will work for him in making a real difference to others.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Basquo

« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2007, 08:52:14 pm »
David, that's a great post!  :)

Offline Robert

« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2007, 09:31:54 pm »
peter.

I think this has been one of the better threads in a long, long time.  It's exactly what this forum is all about...letting us express our opinions. Sure some may have been harsh (although I don't think anyone, including Jonathan or Brent has gone over the line), but, hey, this is a published article.  It's out in the open.  It's all in the public domain now and if Jessie or Regan or Ms. Chew can't handle it, well, that's their problem.  Not ours.

robert

(who finds a lot of other topics in the Off Topics to be far more banal than this one.)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »
If it was in the Living With section this thread would have been closed down for sometime ago but for some reason it has stayed opened all day and has been watched like a hawk waiting for its prey. If not for the Members here on this forum this place would flop.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2007, 09:44:43 pm »
I have been looking in on this thread off, and on through the course of the day.
I understand and respect each person's point of view.
I went into POZ yesterday after seeing some of the early angst over this piece. I apparently read the wrong article, but I would like have a discussion about it another time too.
This evening, I went into POZ again, and read this story.
I simply found it to be about an exuberant young man who admits his mistakes, and has tried to form a positive attitude about his infection, and what a couple of his longer term thoughts are. Granted, he is very young, and will likely have some rough experiences at some point, but if I were 19 again, and had done the stuff he has, I would be pretty gushy about my experience too.
His story deserves just as much care and attention as any of ours does. Give the kid a break.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2007, 10:25:18 pm »
Well I have to say David and Lisa did make a good point...

Offline edfu

« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2007, 10:35:28 pm »
The elephant in the room:

I sincerely doubt that such a furor over this cover would have been created if our cover-boy (a) had not already endeared himself, even before we learned about the cover-story, so greatly to the participants here with his witty and helpful  postings to the point that Peter Staley himself issued a warning (although he now defends him), and (b) said cover-boy had not called everyone's attention to the cover and the story in such a humble and self-deprecating manner. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2007, 10:41:55 pm »
The Golden Peanut Award for edfu.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2007, 10:44:58 pm »
One man, one article, one time. There is no one face of this disease. We've all made our mistakes, we all pay the price. Regardless it took courage to do what he did. Do I agree with all he says, no. But I admire him for stepping forward.

Edited for seplling
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2007, 10:45:24 pm »
Thank you for that comment Edfu.
I have long thought that the tone of this thread is directly related to comments like the one in post #3.  It set a negative and unprovoked tone.  Why the author of a thread would do this to his own thread and to himself I will never understand.
Given posts #44, #59, #66, #67, I can not help but feel like #3 was some sort of taunt, baiting, or attempt to stir up drama in order to draw more attention to this thread and thusly get more publicity.
My head has been reeling for days, and have done the best I can to be a consummate member and poster.
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2007, 10:47:31 pm »
The elephant in the room:

I sincerely doubt that such a furor over this cover would have been created if our cover-boy (a) had not already endeared himself, even before we learned about the cover-story, so greatly to the participants here with his witty and helpful  postings to the point that Peter Staley himself issued a warning (although he now defends him), and (b) said cover-boy had not called everyone's attention to the cover and the story in such a humble and self-deprecating manner. 

Agreed.    But I think the issue has been raised and for all of us who have pointed the finger, I am wondering what we will do next?  I pray that it won't be to simply become bored with this issue but I fear that is a probablity for most.

I'm still trying to figure out what is the right step to take next and  I think that it would help to have some input or a sign of willingness to hear our input from POZ about this, but their responsiveness to this situation can't effect what I need to do for my own conscious on this...just honestly not entirely certain what is the best thing to do.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2007, 10:57:02 pm »
So problematic...
-Haineux-

Let's not forget this one above:  post 73.  (Which still hasn't been explained or apologized for)

or this:  107

Need is a powerful word....

when i pointed out that i still needed an answer explaining it.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:58:36 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2007, 11:02:59 pm »
God, I love this board for this reason - it makes me think.

I actually picked up Poz tonight for the first time (it was free in one of the bars) and read the article.  I didn't love/hate the article but I thought immediately of Pedro from the Real World San Francisco.

Now before you all crucify me for making the comparison - here was my thinking.  Pedro was the FIRST person I "knew" with HIV - as a sexually confused 17 year old.  He put a face to this horrible disease and I have a special place in my heart for him. 

Since then, I don't think there has been an HIV positive person on a reality program.  I immediately thought Jessie could be that guy to some young kids.

I hope that Jessie uses this opportunity to be like Pedro.

Pete

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2007, 11:10:38 pm »
Your right Tim.  I had not forgotten about that either.
He has baited several times, but then doesn't respond when questioned.
And then there is always that little "go back and edit" feature which I have noticed has been used a few times but still does not address the questions posed.
I said it once, and say it again,  "It's easier to get your hands dirty than it is to get them clean".
He created this whole mess with post #3.  It was an intentional, willfull act, and I have decided that I will not pity him that this thread was not one of high-5's and jubilation--as it should have been for someone that was wanting others to share in their accomplishment/pride/etc.
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2007, 11:14:33 pm »
Jeu du jour... toc toc... c'est toi.

Here there be irony, so please read this in an appropriately sarcastic tone of voice.  Because my tongue is planted firmly in cheek as I write this.

You know, four months after my diagnosis, I was decked out in Les Hommes, Miu Miu, and Marc Jacobs doing blow with Aiden Shaw in the VIP areas of clubs in Manhattan and getting my picture put up on lastnightsparty.com, and POZ didn't do a cover story on me.  I have no clue why they didn't.  I could have gone into great detail about the travails of not getting my AIDS blood on my friend's straw and triumphing over the small minds of the New York downtown crowd or about how HIV meant that I got tired more quickly and would pass out waiting for the F train at 5 in the morning or the frustration of having to put on a condom while having sex with my star friends in a limousine... but it would appear that at the time, they chose to focus on something that was not me and therefore much more dull. 

Tongue removed now.

I think a whole bunch of people symbiotically fed off of each other to produce this journalistic bit of Wonderbread.

Hmm... overall, I found the breathless, worshipful tone of the article rather irritating and condescending to the audience and the subject.  It was like something Hello magazine would write about some well-off fashionable 60s icon today.  Nothing substantial or interesting per se... just sort of cupcake-ish and sickly sweet.

"One of a coterie of beautiful straight girls?"

"Ever since seventh grade, Jesse Sanchez has been given a hard time—on the street, at school—for being gay and so absolutely beautiful."

Who writes like this?   

"If I had to say something bad about him, it's that he's too beautiful and has too many beautiful straight women around him."

If I had the time, I suppose I could delve into the psychological pathos that goes into celebrating this sort of thing.  Nothing against Jesus personally, I'm sure we would be miles apart if we ever met in person and would nothing in common.  But even if I wasn't quite so outre at 19, I do remember getting similarly excited about art movements and film theory, so to each his own and all that.

But what I do object to is the way that adults who are supposed to know better pass on what they know to be some wretchedly excessive Americanized, cliched expressions of what it means to be HIV+... and expect my ass to swallow it. 

Of course, maybe one could look at someone who says "I need guys to like me" and maybe read it as a sign of deep cultural pathos.  Maybe that gay American culture feeds a bunch of cliched nonsense to insecure and physically attractive teenagers, and they could maybe then extrapolate through some sociological reasoning why someone in his position caught HIV. 

I mean, really... it's not normal for 19 year olds to have sex with 30 year old men!  Am I the only one who thinks there's something inherently fucked up about it? 

But I guess not for Poz, who finds nothing wrong with having such a blatant desire to please people that you'll put yourself at risk for a deadly disease.  Nope, nothing wrong with our society here, citizens.  He's still pretty, so go back to your lives.

Fortunately, our massively disturbing admission is blown off with this. "Whatever his longings for male attention, it was to women that Sanchez turned for help." 

Awesome.

“I want to look perfect,” he says. “I want to be perfect.” And that’s a wrap.

Nothing wrong with that either.

Shit like this should be said to a therapist and not a reporter, I don't care how old you are. 

But exploitation is the name of the game, I guess.  But unless I miss my guess, both Poz and Jesus seem to have managed to exploit each other, so no real harm done, I suppose.

Oh, and shit like this causes AIDS.  No need to scare the living crap out of people, now I guess we just lay back and accept that they'll get it... so we might as well tell them how to look good doing it.

Whiskey.  Tango.  Foxtrot.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:16:52 pm by aupointillimite »
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline edfu

« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2007, 11:37:19 pm »
I, too, would wish that our cover boy could be like the beautiful (in more ways than one) Pedro Zamora.  Pedro, however, would never have posted about approving of vanity with umpteen photos, which, I believe, was our cover boy's 3rd posting on this site.  I don't think young kids would relate to that (not that there's anything wrong with it). 

"Cruelty was the vice of the ancient; vanity is that of the modern world.  Vanity is the last disease."--George Moore

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:37:19 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2007, 11:39:38 pm »
brilliant benj, and spot on. that is what i have been saying all fucking day.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2007, 11:59:54 pm »
Please Please Please dont think I am comparing Jessie and Pedro as people - but more about the sensation is has caused/is causing

I dont mean ANY disrespect to Jessie because he is a brave guy and has his flaws but so do we all so back the fuck off.

Pete (who wishes Pedro was here so I could thank him)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2007, 12:35:19 am »
i can't get your link to work, edfu.  what am i missing?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2007, 12:37:07 am »
Queen does raise a very interesting point:  just how does somone get on the cover and the subject of an interview that damn fast?  He said he became positive in February of this year...and he says this article has been in the works since April of this year.  That's two measly months from diagnosis to cover.  Wow. 

Thunter Bunny, I guess hell will freeze over before we get an answer to my well made point. In my post, I said why I thought it was and by no response I guess it must be true. Like the cliche says, Money talks and bullshit walks. To me the shit is so deep I need to put some boots on, maybe I can borrow the ones that Jesse says is sooooooo last season..... ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline edfu

« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2007, 12:44:19 am »
thunter, what you're missing is what I'm missing:  the computer ability to get the link to work.  Sorry.  I'm not up to snuff on computer ability, being an old fart.  I've modified my post.  If you missed this glorious photographic display, just go to p. 2 of his earliest posts, and look for his third entry. 

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:42 am »
I said I would shut up but I won't.

Seriously what is the point of this conversation if after 172 replies, warnings to well established members, POZ magazine won't even step up and help explain what everybody here believe is a snafu?

I think it's been very clear and accepted from everyone that Jesse has been used by POZ magazine. Now i'm waiting for the answer from the editor to help us understand what we missed.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2007, 12:58:52 am »
thunter, what you're missing is what I'm missing:  the computer ability to get the link to work.  Sorry.  I'm not up to snuff on computer ability, being an old fart.  I've modified my post.  If you missed this glorious photographic display, just go to p. 2 of his earliest posts, and look for his third entry. 

oh, wait. 

ed, i put 2+2 together and figured out what you're linking. 

i'm not missing anything.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2007, 07:51:08 am »
To me, (i'm assuming) Jesse is just being Jesse.

However....

I would love to agree with you wholeheartedly, Tim, except for one thing:

Regan Hoffman didn't find Jessie while she was trolling through the pages of Manhunt.net. It's never been properly explained to me how an unknown 19-year-old kid lands on the cover of a national magazine. It's not like he's ever done anything more fabulous than create a nifty MySpace page (which, BTW, is not out-poz, not that I'd expect it to be). Somehow the machinations of a celebrity wanna-be met with the shrewd calculations of a professional AIDS-careerist and shiller for Big Pharma. It's a match made on E! Television.

This is the part I don't get either....and, to me, is the far more interesting story....

John

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2007, 10:25:53 am »
 Jesse has been called arrogant and naive again and again by the cynical mob, and has kept up a friendly demeanor in response.  So who here has the more open mind to how others perceive things?  Who here actually sounds arrogant with their one-size-fits-all-dying-from-HIV party line -- stick to it, or find some other forums!
Trust me, Jesse rubbed me the wrong way right from the get-go, but I admire any 19 year old that publically discloses their HIV status, especially THIS publically.  Sure, he's naive, but at least he's not cynical and nasty yet.  At least his mind seems to be open to the remarkable spectrum of all our experiences, living with HIV.
Peter

Peter,

I cannot believe you authored and posted these words.  It simply proves that JK, many others, and I were not wrong in our assessment of the new more sanitized forums.  aka "POZ POLISH"!

My dog just pissed on the cover, so now I don't have to read more POZ denials of the truth of HIV/AIDS.

JESSE, HIV/AIDS IS A FATAL DISEASE, PERIOD!  HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT AND HOW WELL YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS CONSTRUCTED AT THE RIPE OLD AGE OF 19 WILL BE THE SOLE DETERMINATION OF HOW WELL YOU WILL SURVIVE FOR THE NEXT 20, 30, OR 40 YEARS......  AND THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline carousel

« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2007, 10:37:46 am »
There does seem to be a bit missing from this story and whoever wrote this story does not fill us in. 

All I got from the story is that a 19 year old called Jesus has caught HIV and is having a faba-daba-doo time of it. 

I'm glad to hear that.  Now I can go on with life, enriched with a greater understanding of the world of HIV.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2007, 12:12:28 pm »
I said I would shut up but I won't.

Seriously what is the point of this conversation if after 172 replies, warnings to well established members, POZ magazine won't even step up and help explain what everybody here believe is a snafu?

I think it's been very clear and accepted from everyone that Jesse has been used by POZ magazine. Now i'm waiting for the answer from the editor to help us understand what we missed.

Milker.

"EVERYONE"? ??? ??? LOL, no. "Very clear?" Again, no.

Now i'm waiting for the answer from the editor

LOL, you make it sound like a sure thing. As Mick would say "You can't always get what you want"

Deal with it.

I didn't find the article offensive.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2007, 01:34:01 pm »
Deal with it.

I didn't find the article offensive either.  I did find it alarming and shameful though.

I think what you might be missing from some of the uproar are two things:

The first is the question of what was a 19 year old who was only 6 months poz (and according to Jesse's version - only one month poz when the story began to be worked on) doing as a cover story for a national magazine?  How did that come about?  What is the rational for that?  That has not been explained either in the magazine or on this board.

I am in full agreement that there needs to be articles and profiles detailing why those who are so young still continue to become poz, and I think we need to have articles about what happens to those who are newly diagnosed and how they do deal.  But with those types of stories come a responsibility from the editors and publishers of the magazine to how that information is presented - both to their young and HIV naive subjects, and to their readership in general.  In both case’ I think Poz failed

I don't see how they really served Jesse or his story by doing the article in such a way that allowed his most superficial side to not just be reported but glorified. 

This wasn’t straight reporting of the natural shallowness and sense of invincibility  of youth with  an explanation of the danger that entails for understanding the real risks of HIV.  I would have welcomed that and applauded that.  No, this was just allowing someone who has stated himself how much he needs attention, and desires to be in the public eye a platform to just expose themselves without any editorial insight of what the ramifications of that may be.

I also want to be clear that when I say things about shallowness, superficiality and naivety that these are not attacks on Jesse but my reactions to the very picture painted by the writer of the article and further prioof of what was so wrong about it.

The other issue is that of the responsibility to the readership.  POZ bills itself as being a sort of publication of record that chronicles the HIV epidemic – with that sort of mission - one would think there would be a conscientious effort to avoid hyperbole, myths and misperceptions about HIV.

Nowhere in this article did I see any editorial decision to discuss or probe into issues of what HIV is to the younger population or the context of Jesse’s statements and attitude with the reality of being POZ.  Also before anyone argues that a profile need not include editorial direction – I suggest  they consider the context of the publication and I remind them of the responsibility to their mission. 

I can not see any beneficial education effects about HIV prevention or the newly diagnosed dealing with infection from an article that talks more about how HIV is not an issue in one’s life.  This is not to say that all infection stories need to be morose or gloomy – hell – this isn’t to say that any need be, but you can not educate on risks or connect with others who face those risks by dismissing the ramifications of those risks.

I guess to explain my point, I ask you and any who have read the article and have asked, “What is the big deal?” to consider your question in a different context.

I submit that your very question itself is the big deal. 

Why for an article that seem to cover no big deal or substantial story given a cover as the face of youth with HIV and newly diagnosed?

Why is POZ using what appears to be an article missing a second half as a front to the world as this is what it is like to be newly diagnosed, poz and young?

And if it means to be newly diagnosed, poz and young is in fact “No Big Deal” and that is what the editors of POZ want the world to know, then I suggest we better get ready for this board to get crowded with many more Jesse’s and that is something we will all have to deal with.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2007, 01:47:04 pm »
Can someone summarize this for me?  I swear Dolce is about the most tired label to wear.  At least go Belgian minimalist and out-elite the elitists, or at least that's what I do.

Wait... this is about POZ mag?  WHAT
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2007, 01:47:34 pm »
::returns to watching brazilian porn::
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2007, 01:51:42 pm »
I didn't find the article offensive either.  I did find it alarming and shameful though.

I think what you might be missing from some of the uproar are two things:

The first is the question of what was a 19 year old who was only 6 months poz (and according to Jesse's version - only one month poz when the story began to be worked on) doing as a cover story for a national magazine?  How did that come about?  What is the rational for that?  That has not been explained either in the magazine or on this board.

I am in full agreement that there needs to be articles and profiles detailing why those who are so young still continue to become poz, and I think we need to have articles about what happens to those who are newly diagnosed and how they do deal.  But with those types of stories come a responsibility from the editors and publishers of the magazine to how that information is presented - both to their young and HIV naive subjects, and to their readership in general.  In both case’ I think Poz failed

I don't see how they really served Jesse or his story by doing the article in such a way that allowed his most superficial side to not just be reported but glorified. 

This wasn’t straight reporting of the natural shallowness and sense of invincibility  of youth with  an explanation of the danger that entails for understanding the real risks of HIV.  I would have welcomed that and applauded that.  No, this was just allowing someone who has stated himself how much he needs attention, and desires to be in the public eye a platform to just expose themselves without any editorial insight of what the ramifications of that may be.

I also want to be clear that when I say things about shallowness, superficiality and naivety that these are not attacks on Jesse but my reactions to the very picture painted by the writer of the article and further prioof of what was so wrong about it.

The other issue is that of the responsibility to the readership.  POZ bills itself as being a sort of publication of record that chronicles the HIV epidemic – with that sort of mission - one would think there would be a conscientious effort to avoid hyperbole, myths and misperceptions about HIV.

Nowhere in this article did I see any editorial decision to discuss or probe into issues of what HIV is to the younger population or the context of Jesse’s statements and attitude with the reality of being POZ.  Also before anyone argues that a profile need not include editorial direction – I suggest  they consider the context of the publication and I remind them of the responsibility to their mission. 

I can not see any beneficial education effects about HIV prevention or the newly diagnosed dealing with infection from an article that talks more about how HIV is not an issue in one’s life.  This is not to say that all infection stories need to be morose or gloomy – hell – this isn’t to say that any need be, but you can not educate on risks or connect with others who face those risks by dismissing the ramifications of those risks.

I guess to explain my point, I ask you and any who have read the article and have asked, “What is the big deal?” to consider your question in a different context.

I submit that your very question itself is the big deal. 

Why for an article that seem to cover no big deal or substantial story given a cover as the face of youth with HIV and newly diagnosed?

Why is POZ using what appears to be an article missing a second half as a front to the world as this is what it is like to be newly diagnosed, poz and young?

And if it means to be newly diagnosed, poz and young is in fact “No Big Deal” and that is what the editors of POZ want the world to know, then I suggest we better get ready for this board to get crowded with many more Jesse’s and that is something we will all have to deal with.

I agree completely with Iggy's assessment of the damage caused and, finally, why this whole thing is tragic beyond what I still feel is the exploitation of someone not entirely aware of how the consequences such a decision made now will effect his future.

I never thought I'd reach such levels of cynicism, but I guess I have, and it's deeply troubling.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2007, 02:26:10 pm »

"EVERYONE"? ??? ??? LOL, no. "Very clear?" Again, no.

LOL, you make it sound like a sure thing. As Mick would say "You can't always get what you want"

Deal with it.

I never said I found the article offensive. Maybe not everyone thinks that Jesse's been "used". Yourself said that you would "raise an eyebrow" if there was no follow-up.

I'm just a bit "surprised" that POZ editors won't come in the forums to give their point of view on this article, since it seems that "most" forums members have a serious issue with it. That Peter hinted that they shouldn't reply on that particular thread is fine, they could start another thread or, if they are afraid of the "wrath" of the aidsmeds members, they could maybe make a public reply by form of a letter, or something. Their current silence is bothering me, but hey i'm easily bothered. And that makes me feel like there is a separation between POZ and Aidmeds (owned by POZ I believe), like we're the bad crowd on the side and POZ staff won't talk to us. It's not like we're reacting on an article from a magazine that has nothing to do with aidsmeds.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35:47 pm »
I never said I found the article offensive. Maybe not everyone thinks that Jesse's been "used". Yourself said that you would "raise an eyebrow" if there was no follow-up.

I'm just a bit "surprised" that POZ editors won't come in the forums to give their point of view on this article, since it seems that "most" forums members have a serious issue with it. That Peter hinted that they shouldn't reply on that particular thread is fine, they could start another thread or, if they are afraid of the "wrath" of the aidsmeds members, they could maybe make a public reply by form of a letter, or something. Their current silence is bothering me, but hey i'm easily bothered. And that makes me feel like there is a separation between POZ and Aidmeds (owned by POZ I believe), like we're the bad crowd on the side and POZ staff won't talk to us. It's not like we're reacting on an article from a magazine that has nothing to do with aidsmeds.

Milker.

This doesn't prevent them from invoking their privilege as members to not be named or harshly criticized by other members. Non-members (including political figures, sports stars and celebrities) are routinely savaged here with no interdiction from the administration or moderators.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline ademas

« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2007, 02:37:48 pm »
We're not the ones signing the paychecks.
Well...we are...indirectly...but what are we going to do?  Write a letter to Bristol-Myers Squibb, or Gilead, or Merck, and complain about the content, and threaten to boycott their products?
har.
 ;)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2007, 02:55:50 pm »
Thank you Iggy!

Page 1,2,3-- Bristol Myers Squib and Gilead
Page 6&7 -- Serono Inc.
Page 9, 10, 11, 12 -- Boenringer Ingelheim
Page 16, 17 --Glaxo Smith Klein
Page 19, 20 -- Bristol - Myers Squib
Centerfold  -- Glazo Smith Klein
Page 29 -- Gilead
Back Cover -- Sell Your Life Insurance.

I dare say that the content of POZ in the last many years is really no surprise when the income is flowing from the above list of stellar governmental lobby.  Unfortunately what most don't realize is the foreign roots of the above listed corporate giants.

I dare say that a cleansing of the marketing and advertising departments of Smart + Strong might be able to get creative and solicit a different list of advertisers which include many giants that would be more than happy to support this publication.  Names like Eastman Kodak, Subaru, Ford, General Motors, Suzuki, Honda, Wal Mart, and many others who would be glad to advertise to the readership of this magazine, but alas, immagination is not only lacking, but rare in this day.

In SHOCK and AWE!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Cuteguyplus

• You just can't help yourself, you gotta love me!
    • The Twisted World of AJ Evans
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2007, 03:24:27 pm »
 >:(  
You know I happened across this site last night and that, of course, drove me to read the article to see what all this fuss and crucification was about and find answers as to why experienced and supposedly grown up people were standing in line to whip the Hell out of this guy.  It is not his fault that he does not share in your bitter. twisted and jaded views on the world, life and life with HIV.  No, he hasn't seen the darkside like some of us have and fortunately with the med regimines that are available to us today, probably will not.  

What he did was put his journalistic future on the line.  Attention seeking or not, he is giving a positive and affirmative voice to any and all of his generation that may become infected.  Letting them know, it is not a reason to hide in the shadows, sit and cry and do the whole "whoah is me" routine, or to give up on the future (as many of us did when we were diagnosed because in our day it was considered to be a death sentance).

Bug Chaser?

Then what were you?  

Let's be honest about the situation.  I was diagnosed in 1986 with G.R.I.D.  If any of you can remember back that far, the people going into the bars back then wearing safety pins in their clothing to symbolize safe sex were the ones being laughed and scoffed at.  

So, if you became poz after say 1988, were you "bug chasing"?  Probably not and I would never lower myself to your level by stating that you were.  But by 1988, the world was largely aware of HIV and people were still getting infected then, the same as they are now.  
Only now it is not nearly as stupid a move since it is, for the most part, a managable diesease, along the same lines of diabetes.  You don't keep it in check, it will kill you.

So why point fingers.  Aren't there enough people out there ready to crucify us for our illness or lifestyle that we have to compound issues by doing it within our own community.  Grow the Hell up, he is 19, most of you are 30 plus, act like it.

How many of you placed your career in jeopardy for the sake of bringing hope to others outside of your own miserable lives?  How many of you stood proud within months of being diagnosed and said "Here I am world, I am poz and you know what, it's not over" let alone did it on a national level.  Let us not forget, there is no turning back for him.  How many of you have or ever had that kind of dedication to anything?

I did.  I was put throuogh Hell for it.  I had the word AIDS burned into the front lawn of my apartment building in 1987.  Did I move?  Hell no.  I had condoms crazy glued all over my Firebird in 1988.  I was humiliated and thrown out of doctors' and dentists' offices and fired from my job in 1990.  I was crucified on AOL from 1995 through 2001 for having HIV POZ as the first line in profile.  Did I stumble, fall or go private about my status?  No.  Why?  Not for any other reason than to let those around me who hadn't died know that this was not something to be ashamed of.

I find it very disheartening to read the comments and views being posted in relation to this artcle.  To read people judging the whole of one man's being based on a few paragraph's in a magazine that was designed to bring our ailling community together.  How would you feel if I were to grab a few randoms statements made in your lifetime and used those as a measure of your entire being?  Wouldn't be fair would it.  Let's face it, we're all Poz here so we all, pretty much, have some sort of skeletons in our respective closets, don't we?  Some more than others, I assure you.  From my experience it is usually the ones talking the loudest that have the most.

So, what if Poz did an article about me?  I beat AIDS!  I really beat AIDS.  I am stronger for it.  

I had spent the predominant part of 2003 and 2004 in the hospital with zero t-cells and viral loads of over 347,000 until I was told they needed the bed and there really was nothing more that could be done for me so it was a hospice or home.  I just spent from 2004 through June of 2006 in a bed without so much as the energy to get to a bathroom expecting to die.  I was at peace with it.  There were a lot of things I had not accomplished to the level I would have liked.  But, I released an album, I had a hit overseas and I had real love three times within my life, I was a psuedo celebrity.  I did a lot.   So I came home to die.  Low and behold, thanks to Fuzion, I remain here and I am out to accomplish everything I laid in that bed lamenting upon.  So, what are you gonna crucify me if I were to get on the cover of Poz citing that I am a publicity hound trying to mark up a few record sales or land a contract or further my graphic art business.  Knock yourselves out.  Because when people like me read that type of rhetoric, it is not the subject of it that looks debased, it is the people that are supposed to be enlightened, experienced and aged that are writing it that do.

So, if you are going blast him, blast me.  Because like him, I always have and always will celebrate my life and my life as an HIV positive individual and I sincerely hope your bitter tones do not sully his mood or change his standing on the subject for a single second.  You should all be ashamed of yourselves (those who have taken a negative stance on this issue) for even trying to cause him to falter.  He is a vibrant and, from what I read, level-headed guy who is going to do the same as I did and that is not give in to this diseases or let this disease dictate or manage his life.  He is treating it with the proper regard with which it should be dealt.  He will dictate and manage his disease while moving forward with a proud voice, a radiant smile and a resiliant personality.

Hats off to you, Jesse!  No one outside of those who know you personally could be more proud of you than I.

Highest regards to all and I wish you all the best in health and happiness.

Peace and Cheers!
AJ Evans
Everyone know this is nowhere....

Cheers!

AJ

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2007, 03:49:08 pm »
Let's be honest about the situation.  I was diagnosed in 1986 with G.R.I.D.

Cuteguyplus, it's funny that you were diagnosised with G.R.I.D. in 1986, when the name had been changed in 1983 to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2007, 03:53:05 pm »

Bug Chaser?

Then what were you?  

No.

I'm a spider killer

bry :)

Offline Cuteguyplus

« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2007, 04:26:51 pm »
tHEN BLAME MY DOCTOR, NOT ME.  BUT SEE, i GUESS YOU ARE JUST ONE OF THOSE GUY THAT HAS TO PICK AND PICK AND PICK.  YOU TOTALLY LOST THE POINT OF THE MESSAGE AND THERE YOU HAVE HAVE IT.  LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MEET THE SMALLEST MIND ON THE NET.

Cheers!

AJ

Offline Iggy

« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2007, 04:27:52 pm »
AJ,

I agree with your distaste of what seems to be attacks on Jesse personally, but I don't think you make a very good point about maturity and rhetoric unless you hope to do so by irony.

I will disclose right up front that I have some distrust to what you write as you said that you just happened to find this board last night and this is how you introduce yourself.  It seems rather quick of you to make such sweeping judgements and finger pointing as well in one post.

My understanding of the bug chasing accusation BTW has more to do with previous posts of Jesse's (including ones I understand he deleted) than the article itself. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I will say that it provided me enough reason to not state that it was a baseless accusation, I ask you to be careful of your snap judgement in this area as well.

Your description of how HIV is a manageable disease like diabetes and then the details of your own physical suffering of from it did cause me to wonder if you realize that you are disproving your own statements.  And it is these statements that I want to now focus on - the mentality that HIV is just something like diabetes and no big deal goes to the very heart of my concern about this article.

Regardless of how well you are doing now - not everyone is and you weren't always so, and in all likelihood you will have some other future complication which may or may not be as serious as what you have already experienced.

I agree that morbidity is not a good way to get people to listen and learn, but I hope you recognize that neither is sugar - which may go down easier but usually burns away much more quickly with anything to remember about it.

While I agree that there is a disconnect between what many who were first diagnosed with HIV have gone through and what those diagnosed today will go through, I find a more alarmingly disconnect intimated by the article that the newly diagnosed biggest worries about the future is to master Gloria Gaynor and have a good outlook....and again this is an article in the National magzine of record for Poz people.  I hope you keep that thought in context.

With you background and your history - I do welcome you to the boards and I hope to hear more from you - but I do warn you that while I personally respect your opinion - I don't agree with most of your assessment of this situation and our members.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2007, 04:30:24 pm »
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MEET THE SMALLEST MIND ON THE NET.

Accusation or Introduction?

It was a valid question of Rapidrod's, and I assure you that you will face many more.  If you wish to have your point understood I suggest you respond to them without the attacks.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2007, 04:32:29 pm »
tHEN BLAME MY DOCTOR, NOT ME.  BUT SEE, i GUESS YOU ARE JUST ONE OF THOSE GUY THAT HAS TO PICK AND PICK AND PICK.  YOU TOTALLY LOST THE POINT OF THE MESSAGE AND THERE YOU HAVE HAVE IT.  LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MEET THE SMALLEST MIND ON THE NET.

This is hauntingly familiar . . .

MtD

Offline Cuteguyplus

« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2007, 04:36:42 pm »
I appreciate and fully comprehend your reply.  I don't believe I did anything by irony, I did not make accusations or anything of the sort, but if people feel so inclined to think themselves as part of that group, it only furthers my statement.  What I did was really ask questions on motives and try to make people see things from an objective point of view and point out some of my history.  We are a community.  Do we choose to act like the Harper Valley PTA or can we all just get along without the stakes of fire?

Cheers!

AJ

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2007, 04:41:33 pm »
Maybe you can set this thread to music AJ. ;)

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2007, 04:42:07 pm »
tHEN BLAME MY DOCTOR, NOT ME.  BUT SEE, i GUESS YOU ARE JUST ONE OF THOSE GUY THAT HAS TO PICK AND PICK AND PICK.  YOU TOTALLY LOST THE POINT OF THE MESSAGE AND THERE YOU HAVE HAVE IT.  LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MEET THE SMALLEST MIND ON THE NET.

AJ

For someone who has just found this site and has only posted Twice I think it only fair to tell you that we do not slam others for voicing their opinions..name calling is not tolerated, if you want to continue posting them please do so in a respectable manner..or at least get to know the other members before yelling at them...using capital letter is considered shouting and there is no need to shout at anyone here...you want people to listen to you then drop the name calling and sarcasm.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Cuteguyplus

« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2007, 04:48:43 pm »
Where did I slam anyone?  The smallest mind on the net?  Well, let's look at it.  You say we don't slam others.  Yet, that is precisely why I chose to enter this discussion because the slamming (bad terminology in this day of crystal meth usage, by the way) of poor Jesse.  As far as the caps, that was a mistake.  Forgive me for hitting the wrong button, although I am finding that forgiveness is not something that is given out in generous portions here.  Are you gonna slam me now too?

Cheers!

AJ

Offline Cuteguyplus

« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2007, 04:50:31 pm »
The smallest mind on the net was in response to all the content on my post, that was what he focused on.  What kind of statement is that?

Cheers!

AJ

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2007, 04:59:58 pm »
AJ

First of all I know nothing about Crystal meth or the termanology used in regarding to Crystal Meth...but rather than hijack this thread please feel free to PM me if you want me to explain my post further.

Thanks you
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.