Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:26:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ryan White (or ADAP) and Lab tests  (Read 3353 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Ryan White (or ADAP) and Lab tests
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »
Hello All

I am having some trouble finding out if RW ADAP pay for lab tests?  I know they will pay for your meds in full, but how do you all on a tight budget pay for your labs to see how you're doing on those meds.  Last time I looked at how much it would cost me out of pocket from my doctor it was around 400-500 dollars.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Pete

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Ryan White (or ADAP) and Lab tests
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:40:34 pm »
Here in Filthydelphia it will pay for lab tests, but this only happened a couple of years ago.  It was not like this AFAIK when I first moved here.  I'm sure it varies from state to state so you're just going have to pester your case manager about it.  Doesn't your doctor even know about any of this?

Are you going to a private doctor or to a public clinic that's free?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:43:49 pm »
This is the quandary - My doctor is in NY and I reside in NJ. 

He is the same doctor I have had for 10+ years so I would hate to dump him.  He is a wealth of knowledge regarding NY, but NJ...not so much.  He filled out his paperwork for them but he didn't know how they run it here.

My case managers suck shit so I am doing a lot of this myself.  I call them and wait for a phone call 3 days later to answer one question. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:46:40 pm »
Here in Louisville, we have an HIV clinic called the WINGS CLINIC and it is part of the University of Louisville.  If you have insurance, they take a co-pay from you just like any other doc office.  If you have financial issues or no money, you can get reduced or free doc care and labs.  

I would say most people at the clinic probably don't pay anything to see the doc or the labs.  I hope you can find something like that where you live.

MODIFIED:  I just wanted to modify this to say how great the clinic is here.  Like I said, if you don't have income or low income, you can get free care with no co-pay.  If you go to the colorectal doc at the clinic or the psychiatric doc, they require like a $20 co-pay even if you don't have a job.  The HIV clinic does not make people with no income pay that.  They are awesome!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:49:18 pm by tednlou2 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:47:46 pm »
I don't even know if a doctor in one state can bill a neighboring state like that.  You may need to get a new doctor.

If your case manager takes three days to return a call why don't you just go to his/her office and camp?  It's not like you're doing anything all day except eating bon bons and watching McGyver.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:55:05 pm »
It is Judge Judy I watch all day.

Yeah, camping out will happen this week.  I want her to look everything over before I mail it out. 

As far as billing, the ADAP would pay the pharmacy for the drugs, not the doctor.  I get what you mean about getting a doctor over here for labs.  There are resources - I make it sound like NJ is like Iraq or something.  I just feel really comfy with my doc so i would probably still pay out of pocket to see him and have him review my labs and such if we go down that road.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 08:02:23 am »
Pete

NJ does have a program to pay health insurance premiums -- if you were laid off in February last year don't you still have a few months of COBRA eligibility left (til August or September)?

The NJ health care premium assistance program is here

http://www.state.nj.us/health/aids/keepins.shtml

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.