Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:43:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 609
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chronic Infection Now Clearly Tied To Immune-system Protein  (Read 4384 times)

Offline J220

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090514153036.htm

Chronic Infection Now Clearly Tied To Immune-system Protein

ScienceDaily (May 16, 2009) — The reason deadly infections like human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and hepatitis C never go away is because these viruses disarm the body's defense system. Researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) have discovered that a key immunity protein must be present for this defense system to have a chance against chronic infection.

Research up to now has tried but failed to decipher the cross-talk between 'killer T-cells' and 'helper T-cells' in the fight against viruses. The new UAB study finds this cross-talk can only happen in the presence of interleukin-21, a powerful immune system protein. If interleukin-21 is missing for whatever reason, then the immune system's anti-viral efforts fail, said Allan Zajac, Ph.D., an associate professor in UAB's Department of Microbiology and lead author on the study.

The findings are published in the journal Science.

"Adding interleukin-21 back in stimulates the immune response and controls the infection," Zajac said. "We demonstrate that the loss of this protein prevents the control of the infection and diminishes the function of the killer T-cells, specifically CD8 T-cells."

The study mice were treated for lymphocytic choriomeningitis, a viral infection of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Measurements were taken for two types of T-cells, CD4 and CD8 T-cells, before and after the mice were treated with interleukin-21.

"Interleukin-21 served as the key messenger between the T-cells, whereas before we didn't know exactly how the two types of cells communicated with each other," Zajac said. The CD4 T-cells help the immune system do its job by boosting CD8 T-cells' ability to fight and kill viruses.

Co-authors on the study include John Yi and Ming Du, Ph.D., both of UAB's Department of Microbiology. Research funds came from the National Institutes of Health.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline freewillie99

Re: Chronic Infection Now Clearly Tied To Immune-system Protein
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:13:28 pm »
Is this big?
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline J220

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:45:44 pm »
In one way yes, because the reasearch has shown that the absence of interleukin-21 directly resulted in failure to control infection, and when they reintroduced it infection was controlled. Now, I don't know exactly what they mean by "controls" (in bold in the original article). Clearing vs. just keeping it in check (which to be honest, if this can be done without medication, like with LTNP then that in itself would be huge.

The open questions of course are whether this will translate into humans (they used mice, but I am not clear if they used the new generation of mice that have been genetically modified to be a copy of the human immune system) , and whether reintroduction of interleukin-21 will be sufficient to overcome whatever method the virus uses to interefere with the interleukin-21 in the first place.

But one thing is for sure, every time a new piece of the puzzle is discovered, it takes us that closer to our dream of defeating hiv.

From a personal subjective perspective, I think this is very important, because if lack of communication betweet CD4 and 8 is pinpointed to be the reason hiv infection persists, and we can reestablish communication there is a possibility that the body can clear the virus o its own once and for all. Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:48:59 pm by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »
But one thing is for sure, every time a new piece of the puzzle is discovered, it takes us that closer to our dream of defeating hiv.

I agree. Knowledge is power. Even when the results of research seem on the face of it to be "bad" news, such as the recent finding that the shape of antibodies renders them unable to bind to the surface of HIV, it's still important to know since it does represent another piece of the puzzle. This finding re: interleukin-21 sounds pretty important to my layman's ears.

I guess my only concern is that with ever-increasing pieces of this puzzle coming to the fore, I wonder who if anyone is keeping track of it all so that the puzzle can be put together and solved. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to the HIV problem is already under our noses.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:58:03 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline veritas

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

I guess my only concern is that with ever-increasing pieces of this puzzle coming to the fore, I wonder who if anyone is keeping track of it all so that the puzzle can be put together and solved. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to the HIV problem is already under our noses.

Inch,

The groups that should be responsible for putting all the info together are: IAVI,CHAVI,NIAD etc.
But it will take time to incorporate all these finds.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:45:40 pm »
There was a recent thread about this that identified the research as coming from UCLA......hmmmm.

"Scientists Identify How Key Protein Keeps Chronic Infection In Check" is the name of the other thread

LINK:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=27079.0

Does this mean that two different researchers "discovered" this at about the same time? There's something not adding up here, unless I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:48:05 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline J220

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:38:04 pm »
It's likely they worked separately on the same principle and reached the same conclusion. This has happened before, there was some discovery made a year or two ago (can't remember exactly what it was) that was announced almost simultaneously by different researchers.

In any case I think it bodes well for this that two different teams confirmed each other's findings. And remember there is no "intellectual property" when it comes to areas of ressearch, only to substances and very specific methodologies for achieving biochemical goals. So you can have a half dozen teams working on the same thing. Let's hope this leads somewhere.
"Hope is my philosophy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.