Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:15:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bee pollen  (Read 27562 times)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
Bee pollen
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:22:15 pm »
So far everything I read says it is the best thing since sliced bread. I bought a lb for $6.00. It is sweet in a honey kind of way, but there is this kind of nutty aftertaste. I guess it is better than munching on a snicker's bar.
Bee Pollen

Bee Pollen has been called nature's perfect food. It is very rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen, in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees.

Bee pollen is a popular nutritional supplement that builds the immune system and provides energy for the entire body. It contains 35% protein, 55% carbohydrate, 2% fatty acids and 3% minerals and vitamins. It is high in B-complex and vitamins A, C, D, and E. It also contains lecithin, beta-carotene, selenium.

This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of anti-oxidants. Research studies and clinical tests have demonstrated that bee pollen has an immunizing effect, enhances vitality, and can counteract the effects of radiation and chemical toxins.

Used as an immune system builder, Bee Pollen is thought to have the ability to correct body chemistry and eliminate unhealthy conditions. It is considered to have the ability to throw off poisons and toxic materials from the body. Radiation and chemical pollutants are known as the most severe stressors to your immune system. Side effects of radiation treatment decreases the body's production of blood cells and nutrients in the blood.

Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses. It has proved beneficial for nausea, sleep disorders, and urinary and rectal disorders following radiation treatment.

Athletes often use this supplement to help increase their strength, endurance, energy and speed. Bee pollen aids the body in recovering from exercise, returning breathing and heart rate to normal, and improves endurance for repeat exertion. It provides energy, stamina and strength as well as improving mental and physical reactions.

Those who do taxing mental work also can see benefits from this natural energy food. Bee pollen can relieve brain fatigue and improve alertness. This can increase your capacity for intense concentration and enable longer periods of work without becoming tired. Stress can use up vitamins quickly and bee pollen can relieve stress and anxiety by replacing essential nutrient reserves in the body.

Many people with allergies have found relief by ingesting bee pollen. It reduces the production of histamine which can cause allergic responses such as hay fever. It can strengthen the respiratory system and provide protein that can help the body build a natural defense shield against allergic responses.

Bee pollen has an effect on blood pressure and sexual function. People who suffer from low blood pressure can be subject to deficiencies in the sex glands. Pollen increases blood pressure especially when taken with kelp and may increase hormone levels and sexual strength.

Weight loss also may occur as lecithin, an ingredient in bee pollen, increases the speed calories are burned and stabilizes poor metabolism. It aids in the digestive process and the assimilation of nutrients. Bee pollen may also relieve anemia, cerebral hemorrhage, colitis and constipation.

Between the sexual strength, throwing off toxins and cerebral hemorrhages , I think I was sold!
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Bee pollen
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:54:12 pm »
Looking forward to your reports

I wouldn't mind more energy but I certainly can't afford to lose weight -slim as I am

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:00:16 pm »
Do you know if the tablets would have the same benefits??

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:46:55 pm »

Today five days latter I woke up not feeling the need for coffee,though I love coffee and it too is medicinal. Felt really alert. Not sure if it is psychosomatic. Also I notice the heatwave in NY  has gone- is it related?

I wouldn't mind more energy but I certainly can't afford to lose weight -slim as I am

I think this is for obese people- since it is said to regulate your metabolism.

Do you know if the tablets would have the same benefits

I think you would miss out on the great taste, if it is available. I have mine in the freezer till I find someone  who knows more about it. I take 2 teaspoons  in the morning.  Will let you know if my hair grows back,and I start looking like Brad Pitt! Seriously though after only five days I do feel good , and usually hot summer days make me feel lethargic.

I think you ned to know though if you are alergic to bees.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 06:45:08 pm »
Hey Johnny:

Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on Propolis and Royal Jelly? Are they similar in benefits to Bee pollen since they are from bees, no? Glad u r feeling better.  :)

Cheerio.

Michael

PS: What is the brand of your Bee pollen?
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:33:49 pm »
Hi Michael, first off the bee pollen I got was from an organic farm that sells in Union Square Park in NYC, I bought a bag for $6. from an Upstate farm.
I don't know that much about propolis or royal jelly, but this is what I found:
of Bee Propolis, Honey and Royal Jelly

Copyright © 1995 by Jack Challem, The Nutrition Reporter™
All rights reserved.

When it comes to bee pollen, propolis, and royal jelly, people either seem to swear by them or swear at them.

Bee products epitomize everything that's right and wrong about natural foods and dietary supplements. For a lot of people, the concept of eating "beestuff" - other than honey - seems awfully strange. And while bee products have a faithful following, few people really understand why they work. Scientifically,that is.

Not surprisingly, physicians usually bristle at the thought of people popping bee pollen and propolis capsules. One doctor, almost 20 years ago, warned in a medical journal that patients shouldn't get "stung" by the miracle claims of bee pollen.

Even worse, advocates of bee products can often be their own worst enemies with wild cure-all claims of everything from arthritis to sexual impotence.

Bee products don't cure everything. But in a search of recent medical journal articles - most turned out to be from overseas - I found impressive documentation for propolis and honey as powerful, natural antibiotics. Amazingly, some doctors have even used honey-soaked gauze as wound dressings. And a few of the components of propolis and royal jelly even have anti-cancer properties.

As for allergies, bee pollen might help you the way it helped Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa). But there's a dearth of medical journal reports on pollen, except to point out that it can cause dermatitis or anaphylactic shock.

Propolis

Bees create propolis by collecting a resinous sap from trees and then mixing it with wax back at the hive. They use this material much the way people use caulk: to seal their homes. Chemically, propolis is exceedingly complex and contains a rich variety of potent terpenes and benzoic, caffeic, cinnamic,and phenolic acids. It's also high in flavonoids, which by themselves may account for many of the benefits attributed to propolis-and some researchers refer to propolis as a type of flavonoid.

One of the most significant medical journal articles described how the caffeic acids in propolis and honey might prevent colon cancer, which kills some 60,000 Americans each year. Chinthalapally V. Rao, Ph.D., of the American health Foundation, Valhalla, N.Y., reported in Cancer Research (Sept.15,1993; 53:1482-88) that these caffeic acids prevented the formation of precancerous tissue in rats after they were exposed to cancer-causing chemicals.

Most medical articles, however, still point to the value of propolis as a powerful, natural antibiotic. That doesn't mean eating propolis will let you throw away your antibiotics - only that you may not need them quite as often.

Why would bees need substances with broad antibacterial and antiviral properties? Any beekeeper will tell you the answer. Bees are very susceptible to bacterial and viral infections, which can destroy hives the way the bubonic plague ravaged Europe in the 17th century.

Two medical journal articles document the activity of propolis specifically against Staphylococcus aureus, the bacterium that causes dangerous and often deadly surgical infections, blood poisoning, and a type of pneumonia. Five to 10 percent of all patients hospitalized in the United States develop such infections, and S. aureus has become resistant to all but one pharmaceutical antibiotic.

In a Chinese study, researchers found that extracts of propolis - specifically, sinapic, isoferulic, and caffeic acids - inhibited the growth of S. aureus (Qiao Z, China Journal of Chinese Materi Medica, Aug. 1991;16:481-2). A European study reported that ethanol extracts from propolis had a "marked synergistic effect" on the anti-staph activity of two antibiotics, streptomycin and cloxacillin, and a moderate effect on several others (Krol W, Arzneimittel-Forschung, May 1993;43:607-9).

Another scientific investigation discovered that propolis inhibited the activity of several streptococcal bacteria species that cause dental caries.Japanese researchers reported that propolis-fed laboratory fats had far fewer caries than those given a regular diet. Propolis protected specifically against Streptococcus mutans and several other strep species (Ikeno K, Caries research, 1991;25:347-51). These strep species are closely related to the germ that causes strep throat.

Propolis works against bacteria in several ways. One study reported that it prevented bacterial cell division and also broke down bacterial walls and cytoplasm, which is how some prescription antibiotics work (Takaisi-KikuniNB, Planta Medica, June 1994;60:222-7).

Perhaps more remarkable is that propolis acts against viruses, which antibiotics do not. A number of medical journal reports have discussed the role of propolisin fighting upper respiratory infections, such as those caused by the common cold and influenza viruses (Focht J, Arzneimittel-Forschung, Aug. 1993;43:921-3). Other investigators have reported that the cinnamic acid extracts of propolis prevent viruses from reproducing, but they worked best when used during the entire infection (Serkedjieva J, Journal of Natural Products, March 1992;55:294-302).

Underpinning many of the benefits of propolis is that some of its components,like the flavonoids and ethanols, function as antioxidant free-radical scavengers. A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology (Jan. 1994;21:9-13)noted that some of the antioxidant phenols in propolis functioned similarly to vitamin E. In another article, researchers described that propolis had anti-inflammatory properties and that it could also prevent blood clots(Drugs Under Experimental & Clinical Research, 1993; 19:197-203).

Honey

Six medical journal articles over the past three years have also described the antibiotic properties of honey. A physician at the medical college in Maharashtra, India, recently explored the use of honey-soaked gauze to treat burn patients. The 40 patients treated with honey healed in about half the time - and with half the scar tissue - compared with patients treated by other means. (Subrahmanyam M, Burns, Aug. 1994;20:331-3).

A team of researchers from the department of surgery, University Teaching Hospital, Nigeria, reported that unprocessed honey "inhibited most of the fungi and bacteria" causing surgical and wound infections. In a remarkable conclusion in the journal Infection (Jul.- Aug. 1992;20:227-9),Dr. S. E. Efem and his colleagues wrote, "Honey is thus an ideal topical wound dressing agent in surgical infections, burns and wound infections."

Perhaps most remarkable is the effect of honey on Helicobacter pylori, the bacterium now known to cause gastric ulcers. Because honey has long been a folk remedy for dyspepsia, or stomach upset, a team of researchers from the University of Waikato, New Zealand, tested whether honey would have any benefit. Within three days, honey stopped the growth of H. pylori colonies obtained from patients.

Royal Jelly

Highly touted royal jelly, fed to the debutante larvae that grow into queen bees, contains a powerful antibacterial protein that Japanese researchers discovered and named royalisin. Rich in amino acids, royalisin is primarily effective against "Gram-positive" bacteria, which include staph and strep species (Fujiwara S, Journal of Biological Chemistry, July 5,1990;265:11333-7).

Like propolis, royal jelly also appears to have anti-tumor properties. Another team of Japanese researchers gave royal jelly to one of two groups of laboratory mice before transplanting different types of cancer cells in them. The royal jelly had no effect on the leukemia cells, but it had dramatic effects on sarcoma cells. The lifespan of the mice was extended by about one-fifth and tumor sizes were about half the size, compared with untreated mice,according to a report in the journal Nippon Yakurigaku Zasshji-Folia Pharmacologica Japonica (Feb. 1987;89:73-80).

In sum, we could learn a lesson from bees that eat honey and royal jelly, and seal their hives with propolis. By eating these bee products, we can preventively "innoculate" ourselves against many bacterial and viral infections - and maybe even reduce our risk of developing cancer.

So, in light of the scientific evidence, next time you hear someone ridicule bee propolis, royal jelly, and other products, just tell them to "buzz off."

This article originally appeared in the Natural Foods Merchandiser, published by New Hope Communications. The information provided by Jack Challem and The Nutrition Reporter™ newsletter is strictly educational and not intended as medical advice. For diagnosis and treatment, consult your physician.

copyright © 1996 The Nutrition Reporter™ - updated 12/04/96
for more information contact  jack@thenutritionreporter.com
return to www.thenutritionreporter.com/ (The Nutrition Reporter homepage)
you are at: www.thenutritionreporter.com/bee_stuff.html
PROPOLIS

Powerful, Natural Antibiotic

What is Propolis?
 Honeybees gather propolis, a resin, from tree bark and leaves. They combine this resin with nectar, creating a mix of wax, pollen and bee bread. They then use this substance to seal their hives, protecting it from outside contaminants. They also use propolis at the entrance to the hive to sterilize themselves as they come and go.

Ancient Healer
 While propolis is just now enjoying a rediscovery, its usefulness can be traced back to the time of Hippocrates, who used it to heal sores and ulcers, internally and externally. Through the ages historical documents record its use. Culpepper's Complete Herbal refers to ointments of Propolis for inflammation and fever. In WWII, it was used by the Soviet Union to treat battle wounds. Proppolis is an excellent natural antibiotic and immune system booster.

Nature's Penicillin
 Synthetic antibiotics carry with them side effects - propolis, a natural antibiotic, has no such side effects. Propolis has also been shown to fight bacterial strains that have become resistant to synthetic antibiotics.

Active Compounds
from "Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly, Propolis, and Honey," by Rita Elkins, M.A. Dr. K. Lund Aagaard who is considered a well qualified authority on propolis has said, "Nineteen substances of different chemical structure have been identified so far." These compounds include a number of substances which belong to the flavonoid family including betulene and isovanillin.

Vitmain and Mineral Content
from "Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly, Propolis, and Honey," by Rita Elkins, M.A.
 According to researchers at the Second Leningrad Scientific Conference on the Application of Apiculture (bee culture) in Medicine, Bee Propolis is rich in:
   •    Vitmin A (carotene)
   •    Vitamin B1
   •    Vitamin B2
   •    Vitamin B3
   •    biotin
   •    an array of bioflavonoids
   •    albumin
   •    calcium
   •    magnesium
   •    iron
   •    zinc
   •    silica
   •    potassium
   •    phosphorus
   •    manganese
   •    cobalt
   •    copper

NOTE: Propolis contains 500 more bioflavonoids (vitamin P) than is found in oranges.

Except for vitamin K, Propolis has all the known vitamins. Of the fourteen minerals required by the body, Propolis contains them all with the exception of sulfur.

Propolis is comprised of 50 percent to 70 percent resins and balsams, 30 percent to 50 percent wax, 5 percent to 10 percent Bee Pollen and 10 percent essential oils.

Like Royal Jelly and Bee Pollen, Propolis also contains a number of unidentified compounds which work together synergistically to create a perfectly balanced, nutritive substance.

Amino Acids

Sixteen amino acids have been identified in Propolis.

Character:
 antibacterial, antiviral, antibiotic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant

Primary Applications

from "Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly, Propolis and Honey", by Rita Elkins, M.A.

•    allergies
   •    bruises
   •    burns
   •    cancer
   •    herpes zoster
   •    fatigue
   •    sore throats
   •    nasal congestion
   •    respiratory ailments
   •    acne
   •    skin disorders
   •    sunburn
   •    shingles
   •    respiratory infections
   •    flu
   •    colds
   •    coughs
   •    ulcers
   •    wounds

Propolis seems to be chock full of vitamins and good stuff, which I am now looking to as opposed to more pills. Again I would recommend talking to a dietician or nutritionist as well as your doctor. Personnaly I am feeling great if not anything else in this heat I have some energy, but this is me .

Since I am now almost a week on the stuff I can't say if will prevent  everything and hope others will add their input. I also drink Lakewood cranberry juice with no sweetners and you have to mix it with water or your gums disolve , but I notice the difference. Maybe I will get the propolis next.
I still have to research the royal jelly and what it contains.

Unlike alot of people with the virus I never got to the point of being hospitalized so my immune system is probably in a bit better shape. I go in for my next blood work  at the end of July so at that point I can judge if this stuff is doing anything besides making bee farmers rich
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Merlin

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 10:12:56 pm »
Hey Johnny:

Thanks a million for the great info. I'll read more and "digest" them for good measure. Btw, how do you eat the bee pollen? A tea or tablespoon every morning? I just bought some (pretty expensive..from brazil, the Organic store claims!) and will try it out.
Thanks again!
Michael

PS: Someone mentioned to me yesterday that boiling water should not be used to make honey drinks as it will kill off the beneficial properties. I wonder. If that were true, then seems making a nice hot tea from any infusion is bad then. What do you think?. :-\

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 09:51:40 am »
I take a little less than a tablespoon in the morning. I made a mistake of breaking it up in half and took some at night, but have to say I have a cleaner apartment. You don't sleep on this stuff.
Before you take it though as with anything, I would recommend talking to people who have a better sense of your health.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 06:40:20 pm »
Johnny,

Thanks for sharing this with everyone.
Bee Pollen is a wonderful supplement that can have great benefits to your system. 

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 09:05:33 pm »
Steven, I am wondering how long this will last. I feel the fuzziness of the S&T regiment is gone. I haven't felt this good  since before I caught the bug and was biking 20 miles and swimming.
I hope some of the people who are posting about cold sores or other aliments look into this.

I really can't get over how in a week I feel like the person I was  say ten years ago.
I am also eating a lot of Stony Field yogurt ( no corn syrup), with wheat germ and drinking cranberry juice. as well  as taking  omega 3 supplement. I feel I finally hit a combo that with better eating habits has me feeling  better than normal.

Are you taking this, I hope others chime in as well.
Cheers
Johny
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 09:08:20 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Teresa

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 09:06:18 pm »
I bought some bee pollen 550 mg capsules that you take twice  a day with food.

Will see how this works.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 08:08:48 pm »
Hi Teresa how do you like it ? Was there a reason you picked the capsule? I figured there was enough processed food and tried the natural. I am curious how it will make you feel.
Not sure how much I am taken as I haven't weighed it. But do love the taste.
Are there any other supplements that you take?
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Teresa

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 09:55:15 pm »
Well i bought them for Hubby but he didn't want to take them. Said his energy level was just fine. So i decided to take them myself. Only been on them a couple of days and cant really tell the difference yet.

I'm always reading and seeing what others post here in the nutrition part so I can get ideas for hubby. But I think hes getting tired of me suggesting  things...like the bee pollen. He says he feels just fine with the meds that hes on. Oh well....

Glad you feel great on your bee pollen...does it taste kinda like honey?

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 04:03:09 pm »
Hi all,

pre HIV time I used to fast twice a year and would use bee polen at the end of the fasting to replenish my body of minerals and aminoacids. I love the taste and still include it in my self made daily muesli. I cannot tell how/if it works for me but I think it has helped me in not catching bugs for years; too bad it could not prevent me from getting HIV >:

This thread reminded me of a paper I read not too long ago and since I lost the link I will reproduce it here for those interested:

.......................................................................................
Re: [pronut-hiv] HIV/AIDS and Apitherapy (3)

Here are some supporting scientific evidence of bee products benefit for HIV/AIDS and some opportunistic infections. Five bee products are involved in apitherapy protocol for the treatment of HIV/AIDS. These are honey, pollen, royal jelly, propolis, and bee venom. The first four can be used as food supplements and medicaments, while bee venom is only applicable as medicine for HIV/AIDS and other disease conditions.

HONEY: Apart from its high nutritional value, honey is of great importance to PLWHA ecause it can stimulate B-lymphocytes and T-lymphocytes to multiply, thus boosting the immune system. Also, the efficacy of honey against opportunistic infections like TB, diarrhea, candida, skin infections, respiratory problems has been clinically validated by doctors across the world including Nigeria. Honey is also the best carrier for other bee products.
 (Honey-- Health and Therapeutic Qualities: 167 Clinical studies on honey as a healing agent compNational Honey Board,USA).
 PROPOLIS: This is a mixture of natural pytochemical compounds prepared by honeybees to save their populations against agent of diseases such as viruses, bacteria and yeast. Many research studies have confirmed that propolis has anti-HIV and anti- AIDS properties.
 (a). Inhibition of HIV Replication by Propolis at Reverse Transcription Level (Dr Ortwin FAFF & Alois Hiszem, Retro-Tech GmbH, Gesellschasft fur Retrovirale Technologie, Caarl-von-Linde- str, 40 D-85716 Germany.

(b). Isolation and Identification of some biologically active substances from Brazilian Propolis (Yong K. Park & Julio P. Guzman, State University of Campinas, Laboratory of Food Biochemistry, Campinas, SP Brazil and H.Koo, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY USA).

(c). Propolis has also been proven to potent against TB (Kavimova 1975) (Grange and Davey 1990).
 (d). Propolis als a stimulant of immunity (J. Polik 2002 Bayerbach, Germany) (Manolova et al, 1987) (Scheller et al, 1989)

(e) The study of B. Havsteen, Institute of Biochemistry, University of Kiel, Germany also confirmed that flavonoids content of propolis makes ita cheap medicament for the treatment of HIV and herpes. Sosnowski 1984 also confirmed the effectiveness of propolis for herpes 1 & 2 in vitro. The study of Dr Robert A. Liebelt of Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine also validated the efficacy of propolis salve for Herpes simplex virus. Ditto for Giureaneanu study on propolis and herpes in 1988, Bucharest, Romania. Propolis is available in capsule, tablets, liquid extracts (water and ethanol) ointment, salve, gel and lotion e.t.c

BEE VENOM : This is a powerful activator of blood circulation and tonifier of adrenal glands.It contains diverse proteins including peptides, active amines, and melittin. But more importantly, it has been scientifically proven that bee venom has anti-HIV properties.
 (1). Method and Composition for the treatment of mammalian HIV infection with the adminstration of subtoxic dosage of melittin. (United States Patent, Saemark et al 5,770, 688, June 23, 1998).

(2) A new class of HIV inhibitors to block virus entry into host cells ( Lambeau,G; Valentin, E; and others Sept. 1999, Laboratoire de Virologie, Faculte de Medicine, 06107 NIce cedex 2, France; Institut de Pharmacologie Molecukaire et. Cellulaire, 06560, Valbonne, France).

(3). Insect Venom immunotherapy induces interleukin-10 production.......( Bellinghauseu,I et al, May 1997, Department of Dermatology, University of Mainz, Germany.

Bee venom can be administered from live bees and also available in injection, and ointment forms.

ROYAL JELLY: This is probably the most perfect food, one of the best sources of hormones and pantothenic acid (vitamin B5). It helps the endocrine system, the immune system and the natural multiplication of cells. Royal jelly cotains abundant nucleic acids-DNA and RNA as well as 10-hydroxydecanoic acid (10-HDA) and gamma globuli.(Murray S. Blum, Louisiana State University 1935).
 It has been scientifically documented that DNA, RNA and gamma globulin content of royal jelly strenghten the body immunity. Royal jelly also increases the number of red blood cells and immune cells in the body. It is available in capsules, tablets, liquid and in raw form.

BEE POLLEN contains all the essential amino acids, a variety of vitamins and minerals and high amount of bioenergy. Pollen is also rich in nucleic acids-DNa and RNA and high amount of vitamin A scientifically documented for their ablity to strenghten the body immunity. It is available in tablets,and granules.

NB: There are much more supporting evidence on the effectiveness of bee products for the treatment of HIV/AIDS and other associated infections, but mostof them are in hard copy. It would take time to list them all due to time constraint.
 However, these supporting evidence form the basis of BCP Bee Therapy for HIV/AIDS, which has three components. They are nutritional, medical and economic empowermwent components for PLWHA and other vulnerable groups. See details at www.beeconservation.org
 Unfortunately, except for few individuals who use this therapy, it has not been explored on massive scale yet in Nigeria.
 Note that the application of bee products for the treatment of disease conditions including HIV/AIDS has its own protocols, procedures and rules. For instance, their dosage as food supplements is not as much as their therapeutic dosage. Also, bee products work better when they are used collectively due to synergy.

Sincerely,

Tunde Fabunmi
 Bee Conservation Project
 Lagos, Nigeria

...................................................................................

I am interested to know of impressions re using bee pollen and other byproducts from bees.

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 11:11:35 pm »
Johnny,

It's good to hear you have finally found a combo that is working for you.
As with any supplements / vitamins, I have always said you need to listen to your own body.
Just because something works for you does not mean that others will have the same reaction. Sad but true.....
I have been lucky enough to get my honey directly from the bee-keepers it tastes much different then what I have bought in the stores.
As for bee-pollen I generally take the capsules.  Only for the simplicity of it.

I have enjoyed the participation of the different members in this thread, One whose husband says he fells well enough and lets the meds do their job with no additional help, others who are trying it but feel no difference, and then one who is regaining their energy and stamina.

Each of our bodies are different and what works for one person may not have the same effect on someone else. As long as people remember this then I say we have accomplished something. I'd hate to see everyone go rushing out to buy something that may not help them, and on the other hand I encourage people to try using natural supplements to see if it helps their situation.

Some people will listen only to their doctors who have no knowledge of natural supplements or vitamins with the exception of telling everyone they should be taking a multi-vitamin but then you need to realize that they were taught to use man made medicine.

There really needs to be a middle road someplace that the doctors get into so that more people get the benefits of using natural vitamins and supplements.

Pat,
Thanks for sharing the article, I am not sure what to make of it yet but will digest it more later.  I am usually a bit skeptical of anyone putting out long winded papers on a product and then you fine out all they are trying to do is sell you something. Myself, I have no agenda, but only hope that others can benefit from what we have used in the past and are trying now to help them. 

Offline fearless

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 12:33:43 am »
hey Johnny,

Well done and good luck. I've never tried bee pollen but am a big fan of honey for the same reasons.

You mentioned not using hot water with honey as it destroys the antibiotic effects. This may be true. I know for a fact that you should only consume 100% raw honey. Raw honey is extracted at below 48 C which does not destroy its beneficial properties. Other honeys are heat treated and lose their beneficial properties. In fact heat treated honey (which is what you will find on the supermarket shelf) is mucus forming and can contribute to congestion, weight gain, skin conditions, high cholesterol levels and blood glucose imbalances. The best raw honey that I know of comes from New Zealand: Manuka Honey. The Waikato University has a honey research unit which on it's home page has links to relevant research on the benefits of raw honey: http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/contents.shtml.

I also know that raw honey is used in some Australian hospitals to treat resistant sores and ulcers with great success.

As with every product you should only buy from a reliable source. Go organic if you can. Not only are most supermarket honey's heat treated but they are often a blend of honey's from different locales across the globe and can contain traces of antibiotics banned from use in food production, and traces of harmful chemicals. see attached article: http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/info/info/marketing/honey-trade-issues.shtml.

WARNING

ROYAL JELLY HAS BEEN REPORTED TO CAUSE SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTIONS AND IN RARE CASES, FATALITIES, ESPECIALLY IN ASTHMA AND ALLERGY SUFFERERS.
All Royal Jelly or products containing any Royal Jelly sold in Australia and New Zealand must carry this warning on the product label.

Further, all products containing bee pollen and/or propolis in Australia and New Zealand must carry the following warning:
THIS PRODUCT MAY CAUSE SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTIONS

buzz
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:40:50 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 07:26:15 am »
WARNING

ROYAL JELLY HAS BEEN REPORTED TO CAUSE SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTIONS AND IN RARE CASES, FATALITIES, ESPECIALLY IN ASTHMA AND ALLERGY SUFFERERS.
All Royal Jelly or products containing any Royal Jelly sold in Australia and New Zealand must carry this warning on the product label.

Further, all products containing bee pollen and/or propol is in Australia and New Zealand must carry the following warning:
THIS PRODUCT MAY CAUSE SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTIONS
This can not be stressed enough  that one should talk to doctor and nutritionist as well as doing your own research before taking anything- and I don't mean asking a couple of neighbors.

Fearless, I am not advocating honey, though I think it is good for winter colds it is too sweet and syrupy for me. I think the high triglycerides would out weight the other benefits. But again that is me.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 11:53:23 pm »
I've been using honey from a local beekeeper (aren't their bee places called apiaries?) and I must say the local stuff is far superior to anything found in a store.

I have never tried bee pollen, but am thinking about it. I could use the extra energy at this point.

I do have a question. I have heard royal jelly and (possibly) bee pollen could contribute to higher blood lipids. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I am fighting the cholesterol battle as I write this. I really don't want to work hard at dropping my lipid levels and then add something that will cause them to spike.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 08:42:40 am »
Mark, is it possible to talk with a nutritionist? I go to the one at GMHC, here in NY. My problem is I have high trycliceriides amd low hdl. I avoided the honey for that reason. Maybe you can switch the honey to bee pollen.
I just had my blood work on Wednseday about 10 days taking the bee pollen so I think if there were any differences it should be seen Will post.. I think my body has gotten used to it as I don't feel so buzzedparden the pun as I did after first starting  it. Though I have the energy.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline aztecan

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 11:09:47 am »
Hey Johnny,

I don't know if I can get a referral for a nutritionist, but its worth a shot. They aren't available here without a referral from a doctor.

Let me know what your tests show.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Merlin

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 05:03:28 pm »
I guess the bee pollen does seem to help. For the past 2 weeks, I don't encounter fatigue anymore like it used to hit me like clockwork everyday. First thing in the morning, I take one tablespoon of Raw honey and one tablespoon of bee pollen, and then wash it down with Pomegranate juice. In addition, I'll also take 10-15 drops of Bee Propolis to seal in the ritual. So far so good.

I use both "Really Raw Honey" and New Zealand Manuka UMF 10+ honey for best effect, although only Manuka honey contains anti viral/bacterial properties. Love the raw honey taste but I need to make sure I brush off any sweet residue that seems to stick to the insides of my teeth and cause problems.

Thanks for bringing up the benefits of bee pollen, Johnny. Much appreciated.  ;)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 10:34:54 am »
How well am I doing? I am f*cking great. My tcells are 779 and at 29%, vl <50. Really for those not doing so hot  look into your diets. Health is more than what the doc precribes.
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline aztecan

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 06:26:34 pm »
OK, I am close to 60 days smoke free, so now I am going to start focusing on other issues.

I plan on getting some bee pollen today and testing it out.

I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline SASA39

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 03:46:49 am »
I took a ROYAL JELLY something like twice in the past six months. The trick is that it is so powerfull  that it is recommended to take it only for a 5 days in a row and then to make a pause for a 6 months at least.Otherway you will get used to it and it could develop a serous form of allergy.

P.S.: And just for Aztecan : keep away the bee pollen powder away from your PC pleeeeease  ;D
                                          Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.