Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:14:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 211
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Thailand CSW  (Read 9056 times)

Offline Dunder08

Thailand CSW
« on: August 14, 2008, 08:11:04 pm »
Hi, about 10 weeks ago while in Thailand I slept with a CSW, it was protected and lasted no longer than five minutes, when I withdrew the condom was still on but had slipped maybe half way down.  I am aware that protected sex, means exactly this, but I have concerns that if the condom was damaged then it would not be noticeable as it was half hanging off, would this be possible?
I got a cold and fever and diarrhea exactly two weeks after, but im putting this down to excessive drinking/thai food etc.  I had nothing else since then except for the past 1.5 weeks, when I have had a lot of mouth ulcers/cold sores, but I have been seriously stressing over this situation, I am aware that could have brought all this on.  Thank you in advance for your response.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Thailand CSW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:21:35 pm »
Dunder,

If the condom was damaged, you would have noticed it. They end up looking shredded when they break. You would have noticed it.

You didn't have a risk and you don't need to test over this specific incident.

However, we always recommend that anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Please note that you should be using condoms with anyone you have intercourse with, not just sex workers, until such time as you're in a securely monogamous relationship where you have tested negative for all STIs TOGETHER.

Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dunder08

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:49:15 pm »
Apologies for posting here again, I was sure I had put this behind me, but in the past four weeks I have had sex with my girlfriend without protection on one occasion, 2 weeks after this she came down with the flu and a sore throat which lasted approx four days and one bout of diarrhea in this time,  there is also a small rash on one side of her neck, which is still visible.   This has caused me a great deal of anxiety and was wondering if you could answer the following questions, please:

1.  Are these symptoms typical of ARS?
2.  You state that u have never experienced the insertive partner becoming positive after condom   breakage, can you pls explain as I would have thought condom breakage is the same as unprotected sex?
3.  Again, my worry is that the part of the condom that was hanging off may have ruptured/torn at some stage and would not have been noticed as a hole/tear would not be clearly visible when hanging off the end of the penis.  Do you think these fears are unwarranted?

Thank you in advance, and again apologies for taking up your time

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:28:39 am »
Dunder,

Hang on, you freak out about PROTECTED intercourse with a sex worker, but then you go and have UNprotected sex with your girlfriend? Have you two been tested together? Are you both hiv negative? Do you know your status for a fact? Do you know HER hiv status for a fact?

It really gets me when people freak out about protected sex with professionals but then happily have unprotected with amateurs.

You need to test at three months past your last incident of UNPROTECTED anal or vaginal intercourse. Quit worrying about the PROTECTED intercourse. That's not how you get hiv. You get hiv from UNPROTECTED intercourse.

Ann
(who seriously wonders when people are ever going to learn)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dunder08

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:54:03 am »
Harsh, but maybe deserved.

However in response, no I don't know my status for a fact, otherwise I would not have came to this forum, although in saying that I was more or less certain of it until what I did in Asia. 

I have only had two sexual partners in over five years, one my girlfriend and the other the five minutes I now have become extremley anxious about that occured in Thailand.

As for my girlfriend, am I sure about her status, well as sure as I can be, I have seen her results as part of a medical examination five months ago, and after that I can only rely on trust. 

I only followed up on my original post as I believe this to be an expert forum and hoped to get a response to put my mind at ease.

Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:02:16 pm »
You can be sure that you didn't have a risk Thiland csw. But if you didn't test before having unprotected sex with your girl friend then you put yourself at risk. You can't look at anyone and know that they are not infected. Take yourself and your girlfriend to the clinic and test. Next time use the head on your shoulders and stop thinking with the one between your legs.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:50:02 pm »
We always recommend that any couple who are considering dispensing with using condoms must 1) be solid in their committment to a monogamous relationship and 2) get HIV tested together so they confirm their negative status.

Condoms provide very effective protection. Even though the one you used with the sex worker slipped a bit, the head of your penis was covered which is what is most important, so you weren't at risk for HIV transmission.

Andy Velez

Offline unlucky1

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:50:05 pm »
The guys on here are well intentioned but don't expect to get an 'expert response' when it comes to subtype CRF AE.

Rapid Rod will tell you that a 12/13 week test result is conclusive. It isn't.
The mean window period for subtype CRF AE is 115 days, over 4 months. See the following report page 4 for hard facts on the window period for CRF A/E

www.epidem.org/Publications/Athens2005report.pdf

I had multiple negative tests including 2 x PCR DNA tests, 2 x Duo tests and 2 antibody tests and didn't test positive until over 4 months.

Also, for some reason they never advocate not having sex as a pretty safe way to avoid getting HIV.

Abstinence is the only way to avoid getting HIV in Thailand if you're having sex with CSWs - condoms can and do break. People have contracted HIV through condom break there.

If you do insist then condoms are mostly effective but you're better off waiting getting a proper girlfriend in your home country, staying monogomous and getting tested before considering not using condoms.
You're a lot less likely to have a condom break with a girl who actually likes you.

I'm not religious but the guys who wrote the bible were right in a way. Wait till you love someone and stay faithful is best to be honest.
I had sex with many girls but would trade that for 1 wife rather than be in the situation I got into.

Good luck

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »
unlucky1, read the welcome thread and the posting guidelines.

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:25:51 pm »
Unlucky, you're very new to the site. Read the welcome thread which includes our rules. Among them is the one which Rod has mentioned above: only those who are authorized to respond in this section may do so.

Thanks for your cooperation in the future.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:34:29 pm »
Dunder,

What unlucky has said to you has no bearing in your case. You didn't have a risk for infection.

Unlucky, please do not disregard our posting guidelines for this forum. They differ from the ones in the Living With forum.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.