Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 339
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I cannot stop losing wieght  (Read 8647 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
I cannot stop losing wieght
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:04:21 pm »
I went form 200lbs to 190lbs, and now I'm 183lbs in about 6 months to a yr. this don't sound right to me @ 6 '3 with a large frame, I fear that if I loose anymore, I'm gonna be in BIG TROUBLE, I'm on 2 diets, the 1st one is a SIBO = Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Syndrome diet, the 2nd one is a low sodium diet ( bad kidneys functions @ 57%) I work-out 5 to 6 days a week, for about 1 hr to 45 mins, and EAT LIKE A HORSE ( have a very good apatite) ??? any thoughts I'm kinda worried, losing weight as a LTS of 23 yrs. isn't good  ???
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:09:11 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline gonzo

Re: I cannot stop losing wieght
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:03:09 pm »
Hi Dennis,

have you had your thyroid checked?

I had a similar issue where I was losing weight rapidly,  and as much as I tried I could not gain any of it back.

I went to my DR and he did some tests, and it turned out to be my thyroid gland, I'd go see my DR if I were you to find out exactly what's going on, hopefully it's nothing serious.

Take Care,
 gonzo
diagnosed in 1990, current Meds: Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:27:09 am »
I have wasting sounds like what you have. Ask your DR if you can get ensure or boost to try and help. Also working out almost every day will take weight off of you.
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:07:44 am »
After I had wasting issues years ago I was put on pancreatic digestive enzymes, because they contain porcine-derived enzymes to break down fat, proteins and starces from food into smaller substances that can then be absorbed into your small intestine, and prevents them from being passed as blowel movements.

These come in capsules that that contain delayed release coated beads -- and you have to play around with the dosing depending on how bad your GI issue is  Some people must take them before, during or after food intake.

This product is Pancrelipase but is sold under many different names -- I'm on one named Creon a the moment, and have had to take it ever since having HIV wasting issues going back a decade.  And yes, it does help me a lot. I gained all of my weight back six years ago and since then it's been completely stable, as well as greatly reducing diarrhea issues and intense GI bloating.

Brand names

Creon® 10 Minimicrospheres®

Creon® 20 Minimicrospheres®

Creon® 5 Minimicrospheres®

Ku-Zyme® HP

Lipram® 4500

Lipram®-CR10

Lipram®-CR20

Lipram®-CR5

Lipram®-PN10

Lipram®-PN16

Lipram®-PN20

Lipram®-UL12

Lipram®-UL18

Lipram®-UL20

Pancrease®

Pancrease® MT 10

Pancrease® MT 16

Pancrease® MT 20

Pancrease® MT 4

Pancrecarb® MS-16

Pancrecarb® MS-4

Pancrecarb® MS-8

Pangestyme®

Pangestyme® CN 10

Pangestyme® CN 20

Pangestyme® MT 16

Pangestyme® UL 12

Pangestyme® UL 18

Pangestyme® UL 20

Panokase®

Panokase® 16

Ultrase®

Ultrase® MT12

Ultrase® MT18

Ultrase® MT20

Viokase®

Viokase® 16

Viokase® 8

Other names

Lipancreatin
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:24:59 am »
Thanks for all of the reply's I don't see my ID-doctor until July 2011, but I do see my GI-doctor next week, and I'm going to tell him about this, my hubby-man says, that I look fine, and have good muscle-mass for my age, and that every winter I gain weight, go up to 190lbs to sometimes 200lbs, but in early spring & summer I always slim way down to 190lbs to about 180lbs... it's kinda discouraging as I used to look like a NFL-Football player @ 200lbs, but I do understand, that some of us get lean or heavy as we age........

When it get's warmer, and I'm more active with out door stuff, like 9 mile bike ridding every other day, burns up a lot of calories, and makes to weight just fall off, the gas & bloating and diarrhea has all but disappeared (if I watch my diets) lotta things I'm not suppose to eat anymore so says the GI-doctor, so maybe this might be normal for me, dunno , just was too sick w/ all of the GI-problems before now that most of them are gone.. I've added B-12 1,000 mil. and some Zinc 50 mil. along with a one a day men's multivitamin , I do feel much better taking these, and it seems to give me that energy-boost to get thur the day, and my work-outs..

any other thoughts? , and miss p thank you for the list, I'm gonna copy & paste this, I think it may be worth looking into  :-*
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:37:58 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:32 am »
Hey Dennis,

It could be that the combination of your two diets and your exercising is causing you to slim down.

The digestive enzymes might not be a bad idea, but I would check with your doctor first because of your diagnosis with SIBO.

You will want to be sure whatever you add isn't going to cause a nasty reaction.

With your renal function reduced as it is, I would refrain from adding any food supplements until they are cleared by your doctor.

Ensure or such might be fine, but I would want to be sure. You don't want to screw around with your renal function.

The low salt diet also can lead to weight loss.

I think you are still in a healthy weight range, but if it continued to drop, I would certainly be quite concerned.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10:05 pm »
Yeah Thanks Mark, your correct about adding the B-12 and Zinc, I haven't told any of my doctors about this yet , I'll run that one by my GI-doctor he's also a GP as well, and I'll see what he has to say, gotta wait til late JULY till I see Dr. Iandiorio over @ the Truman Street Clinic , Mark have you ever been there before, if you have I might have seen you there are maybe next door @ NMAS where Tyler is, but I was too shy to speak, and you looked kinda busy in some meeting, if THIS was you  ;)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »
Sorry to heat about your worries D, hope your hubby is correct , take care
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline denb45

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:18:57 pm »
Sorry to heat about your worries D, hope your hubby is correct , take care
t

Thanks Theyer.....Well he is for the most part, (I do trust his knowledge) but, he also see's me everyday, and sleeps with me every night, so my guess is he cannot be very objective here, but, never-the-less, I'll run this by my GI-doctor, maybe he might have some more insight about all of this, it could be nothing @ all, and my body is now adjusting to not being sick form GI-problems anymore after 15 yrs.  who knows  ;)

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:26:22 pm »
Sorry to hear your having this problem. I know it's a long shot, but it wouldn't hurt to have your blood sugar checked out.
I had a similar problem two years ago. I lost 50 lbs for no reason, or so I thought. By blood sugar was a whopping 450, and I went on insulin right away.

Best of luck with this!
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 03:24:42 am »
Yeah Thanks Mark, your correct about adding the B-12 and Zinc, I haven't told any of my doctors about this yet , I'll run that one by my GI-doctor he's also a GP as well, and I'll see what he has to say, gotta wait til late JULY till I see Dr. Iandiorio over @ the Truman Street Clinic , Mark have you ever been there before, if you have I might have seen you there are maybe next door @ NMAS where Tyler is, but I was too shy to speak, and you looked kinda busy in some meeting, if THIS was you  ;)

It could have been me. I don't get over to Truman Street too often, but I do know Michelle Iandiorio. From what I have heard, she is top notch.
Interestingly, she worked with my doctor in Farmington several years back.
Anyway, hang tough, youngun. Oh, and if you see me lurking about at NMAS, say hi. I promise not to bite. ;)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 11:42:50 am »
It could have been me. I don't get over to Truman Street too often, but I do know Michelle Iandiorio. From what I have heard, she is top notch.
Interestingly, she worked with my doctor in Farmington several years back.
Anyway, hang tough, youngun. Oh, and if you see me lurking about at NMAS, say hi. I promise not to bite. ;)

HUGS,

Mark

:-* You too Mark, I might look scary & mean, but I'm a big ole pussy-cat  :D

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:18:06 am »
 Saw My GI-doc on Friday, and wanted to update this thread, I'll start with the good news, and the give you the bad news.....

my weight loss isn't that dramatic, 183lbs to 188lbs is a very healthy weight for my 6'3 big boned large frame , he also says that if you get below 175lbs, then there will be cause for concern, also, he put me on another antibiotic for the next 10 days called DOXY LEMMON HYCLATE 100mg oral tabs to be taken twice a day, well that was the good news.......

Now the Bad news....He cannot FIX this GI-problem (I 've had this way too long) however he can treat it with antibiotics every 4 to 6 months, with a round of 10 day round of treatment  ???

And last but not least, he says that my GI-problems are in-fact-due to Long term-HIV/AIDS a combo of both that and poor gut-health ( I've had it for 23 yrs.) and I've been on just about everything under the sun, the GI-problems I've had all my life, but when you got teh AIDS 15 yrs ago, and started taking all of the HIV/AIDS-MEDS it made my gut health even worse  ???

@ 1st he didn't want to rule out LT-HIV/AIDS, now he's telling my it's a combo of both, any thought?  ???
it always comes back to teh AIDS no matter how you wanna look at it  :-[
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:21:59 am by denb45 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 11:33:52 am »
I hope you get some relief Dennis . I also deal with some pesky stuff just because I have had HIV so long , one would hope if your numbers were good again stuff like this would resolve but its just not the case with us that have had this for so long . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 12:51:54 pm »
Hi Dennis
Yes....it always comes to: teh AIDS.  Well, specifically:  pesky little virus.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 01:10:25 pm »
I still think you need to consider my earlier suggestive of digestive enzymes -- these address malabsorption post-wasting issues.  Wasting depletes the normal production of things like Amylase, Lactase, Protease, Lipsase. L-glutamine powder once or twice a day plus Pancrecarb (which contains those enzymes

Pancrecarb has had some FDA filing issues so most have switch to Creon (like me)

Anyway, just curious what you doctor said with this topic.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 02:38:03 pm »
Hi Dennis
Hope Miss p suggestions help, but I am pleased that boyfriend was right again.

Its Draining putting up with years off problems any way I look forward to hear about your need to diet as the pounds are coming back.
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 04:49:35 pm »
I still think you need to consider my earlier suggestive of digestive enzymes -- these address malabsorption post-wasting issues.  Wasting depletes the normal production of things like Amylase, Lactase, Protease, Lipsase. L-glutamine powder once or twice a day plus Pancrecarb (which contains those enzymes

Pancrecarb has had some FDA filing issues so most have switch to Creon (like me)

Anyway, just curious what you doctor said with this topic.

Thanks David  :-*  I remember your suggestions and haven't forgotten any of them, I wrote them all down somewhere?  

I spoke with the GI-doctor about the  Pancrecarb & the Enzymes, and I've had L-Glutaimine powder before, but that alone didn't do much, but my GI-Doc says it's worth a try tho, and couldn't hurt if I feel
like going that route, but he also said something about some the MEDS I was on too, but I forget what  it was, something about the lack of absorption with those and using any enzymes  :-\

so, can I get those at any health food store? of course I'll have to run this by my ID-doctor, and I don't see her until July, but why wait that long, couldn't i get any of those today? I sure hate to just waste away to NOTHING.......

I already look SCARY to most people , except for my other-half he says, I look fine, so all of this is a little confusing for me, and for him NOT to be very objective (due to seeing me everyday 24/7) ???

GI-doc says if I get below 175lbs, then he's going to put me on some steroids, not sure what that entails, but he assured me, that "we aren't there yet" but why wait tho.......
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:01:03 pm by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 10:52:56 pm »
You can get them with a prescription

Offline denb45

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 12:04:51 am »
You can get them with a prescription

Odd tho, that GI-doc seemed very reluctant to do anything at about this, after I ask him, he's still hell-bent on the antibiotics every few months as a from of treatment, strange, perhaps I should discuss this w/ my ID-doctor, she may know a little more about all of this enzyme treatment, she already said that the Travavda isn't very good on my poor kidneys, (I've been on that for about 4 to 5 yrs now) and I think she may change me to EPZICOM, guess I'll find out when I come back form Up-State NY in July......

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.