Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:56:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 473
Total: 473

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Decision made  (Read 9951 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Decision made
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »
I am at a conference in Loveland, Colo., this week, but thought I would check in during a rare spare moment.

The doctor and I had a long chat the other day regarding my med switch. Since Abacavir is out of the picture, and after conferring with other docs, my doctor recommended staying the course.

There is sparce information about what living with elevated CPKs will do in the long run. I may be the test case.

The issue is there are no good choices to which to switch.

So, for the mean time, I am still on Truvada and Isentress.

Two more days of this boot camp, er, I mean conference.

I will check in with you all when I can.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:17:56 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Decision made
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »
Thanks for the Update and dont work to hard .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:42:19 pm »
Thanks for the Update and dont work to hard .

And play real hard ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:12:07 am »
This sucks, big time.   Any of us LTS dreads hearing the words "no more good options", as far as treatment goes.   So it seems you don't have much choice EXCEPT to stay the course.

I feel for you honey.....and we have folks in Living With complaining about taking their one pill a day, or that they just don't know if taking meds is "worth it"......as I've said before, I do better if I stick to this forum.

HUGS.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:20:39 am »
Oh Mark, damn it.  I really don't know what else to say.  I totally agree with Alan, though, about those people complaining about going on meds, when they have all the options in the world left open.  They'd really have a cow if they were in your place. I'll be thinking about you for sure.

I understand totally how you feel about being at that conference.  I hate going to them also, and since we have the same profession, I can only empathize.

Keep healthy. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:31:09 pm »
The dreaded "Stay the course" line. That is so fustrating!
Mark you are such an inspiration for me. I don't know how you keep up the schedual you do! You just keep plowing ahead and live your life despite so many hurdles thrown at you.
You have major street cred with me!
Positive since 1985

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »
Thanks for the update Mark. One foot in front of the other and all that....good luck.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 01:56:34 pm »
Take care Mark, try to enjoy boot camp
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline deibster

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:29:11 pm »
Hi Mark,
I hope you are doing well. Are you still working? I sero-converted in 1992 and went on disability in '05, partly because of the stress of my job.

How elevated are your CPKs? According to WebMD, Statins can cause your CPK levels to be mildly elevated.

Also, according to my ID doc there is a new type of inhibitor in clinical trials that should be available within a year, at least in 'early release' for people who are running out of options. He took me off of Isentriss because I hadn't been on Prezista/Norvir yet and he wanted to hold the Isentriss in abeyance until I really needed it. He seems to know what he's talking about.
Hugs from Provincetown, Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline aztecan

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:32:02 am »
I'm afraid statins effect on me was not particularly mild. From what the lab wrote, your CPK levels should be in the 200 or less range.

When I was taking statins, mine went as high as 28,000. That is when the doc took me off of them.

Now, they run in the 1,100 to 1,200 range. Still have some aching and weakness, but I am trying to ignore it.

I am trying to control the lipids with Niaspan, fish oil, a low fat, low cholesterol diet and exercise. It seems to work OK, but I have to keep after it.

Since I don't have any real ARV options to switch to, I am sticking with my current regimen, Truvada and Isentress.

I don't have any resistance issues, at least none I know about (never have had a GART done.)

My problems seem to erupt from side effects of either the virus, my meds, growing older or all of the above.  ::)

I guess we just have to grin and bear it.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 06:01:37 pm »
Hey Mark,

I told my hiv doc about you.
She said that, out of 1000 patients treated in our hospital, there is not a single one with no ( good ) options left. These days there is always some option left.

I thought this would be some positive news for you.

xxx Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »
ooh yes ... red rice yeast seems to have tremendous effect on your cholesterol. Check it out.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »
ooh yes ... red rice yeast seems to have tremendous effect on your cholesterol. Check it out.

Hey Hermie,

Thanks for asking your doctor about my saga. I have use red yeast rice and it does work on the lipids, but it also contains a natural statin, which caused my CPKs go to up again.

So, I had to lay off of it.

When I said no good options, I wasn't talking about controlling the virus. That is the easy part for me.

I was referring to the side effects they can cause. My doctor is leery of the PIs because I have a buffalo hump, horsecollar neck and abdominal VAT, which he fears would worsen if I were to go back on the PIs. Also, I have a history of hyperlipidemia, and hypertriglycidemia, so PIs can be problematic there as well.

I can take most nukes without much problem, but cannot take Ziagen (Abacavir), because I have that genetic sensitivity to it, so Ziagen is out.

O cannot take Sustiva. I have severe CNS side effects from it. I don't know about Edurant. It is still too new to know whether it will cause the same problems as Sustiva.

The list goes on , , ,

The bottom line is no matter what I switch to, I will have some sort of side effects.

So, at this time, the side effects I am having with the Truvada (since the problem predates my starting Isentress) is one that I have learned to live with.  The muscle pain is tolerable for the most part and I try not to let it stop me from being active, etc.

It take 750 mgs of Naproxen for the joint pain, and I think it may also be helping to blunt the muscle pain too, except when I sit for too long.

Who knew living with HIV for more than a quarter century could be such an adventure!

HUGS,

Mark

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 12:36:02 pm »
Sigh,

I know all too well..... has been 24 years for me.

Now it is clear to me what you meant.

The PI's were a killer for me as well. Luckely I am not allergic to Ziagen, so I could make a switch.

I hope something will come up for you Mark.

hugs

xxx Hermie

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 12:40:39 pm »
Love the quarter of a century comment.  Who'd have thunk it way back yonder?  Beating the pavement with you, I'd have never guessed you had any joint issues.  Except maybe finding the next beer joint ;D

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 06:00:33 pm »
I'm in the very same boat as you Mark, I am still on Truvada and Isentress, but Doc still wants me to take the Truvada every-other-day, so after today's visit everything is still the same, same numbers and I'm still HIV1-non-det  ;) she changed my 10mg Lipitor  to 40mg Pravastatin said it was better  ??? lipid panel wasn't that bad still 340, used to be 600 all this is kinda confusing to me, and way above my pay-grade  :-[
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.