Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:40:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 191
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cant gain weight  (Read 23894 times)

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
cant gain weight
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:28:11 pm »
I'm wasting away. I dunno wtf! I weigh 118 and I'm 5'9" so I should be about 140 at least. I am undetectable on boosted reyataz truvada combo going on 3 years now. No vomiting no diarrhea. My tyroid and liver, kidney and blood work is all normal. My testosterone was at 165 so my Doctor switched androgel to testim to see if that's will help. I don't get it. I eat. i eat pretty good better than I ever did when i was drinking and using so WTF?
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Funkengruven

Re: cant gain weight
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:45:23 pm »
Are you doing any kind of resistance training / weight lifting?  All through high school and college I pretty much weighed the same (I'm 5'7" and weighed about 130#) no matter how much food I ate.  Finally, about 2 years ago, I got off my ass, found a lifting routine I could stick with and increased the protein in my diet accordingly.  After 1 year of lifting 3-4 times a week and eating a protein-rich meal afterwards, I put on about 20#s of muscle, and I'm much happier with the way my body looks.  Building muscle and gaining weight can be difficult, but for me, once I got to the weight I wanted, it was much easier to maintain.  Just a thought.

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:12:06 pm »
Antibody,

I understand your frustration, but gaining weight (the right way) is a LONG process and not the same as losing weight.

You can realistically gain 1-2 lbs of muscle a month, and you will have to add 500-1000 calories a day to your diet. Now if you're like me that's very hard to do. I have about an 1800-2200 a day calorie intake. For my body type, and activity level I should have a 2500 calorie intake to maintain my weight. I'm 6ft 163lbs and work out 4 times a week. In order to gain muscle I'd have to consume 3000-3500 daily. It took me 2 and 1/2 years to maintain a 15lbs weight gain.

You will also have to begin working out on a regular basis, weight lifting and cardio, and adjusting you regime accordingly so when you stop noticing changes. You need to weight yourself once a week, and keep track of your eating habits, and definitely put more protein in your diet.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »
My partner keeps a food journal ( as well as files for medical records) and records daily what he eats and how many calories he has taken in..how much cholesterol and so forth. This may be a bit extreem for you but you are not saying WHAT you do in fact eat....so how are we to know what to say to you.  It really is something to talk to your doctor about as there are appetite boosters.
Really, its time to take charge and work on your issues.  Maybe starting supplements of  ENSURE to your daily diet is needed.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 02:59:37 pm »
My partner keeps a food journal ( as well as files for medical records) and records daily what he eats and how many calories he has taken in..how much cholesterol and so forth.

That was going to be my suggestion to Antibody.To start creating a journal. You beat me to it.

Antibody, You should make an appointment with a nutritionist ( One who is familiar with HIV infection) create the jounal first, so the nutritionist can see just what your eating and to make suggestions to you.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:04:38 pm »
eat lots of cookie dough
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline antibody

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 06:43:11 pm »
Thanks for the response guys.
I have an appointment with a nutritionist but that isn't until the middle of july. I eat at least 2 meals a day plus fruit, yogurt and ice cream and junk food. I guess you are right I have to count all the calories i intake. I already smoke a pound of weed and take marinol  so my appetite is there the food I eat just isn't sticking to my ribs.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:59:18 pm »
I lost a drastic amount when I had PCP & MAC. So, right after I started treatment I increased my caloric intake to about 3500 cal/day ... not an easy task. This included Ensure supplements and larger quantities. Later I did see a nutritionist at my ASO who helped tailor a balanced menu. Two years later, my doc politely mentions that I could modify my diet downward ... LOL. So, be careful with eating with abandon.

Are you having problems with appetite? If the Marinol or even the real stuff can help stimulate that, great. But, you're on the right track, so far. Keep us posted.
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 01:28:33 am »
Thanks for the response guys.
I have an appointment with a nutritionist but that isn't until the middle of july.

That's good to hear that.  This also gives you plenty of time to create that journal. Write down everything you eat and drink, and the times. Portion sizes ETC. This will give the nutrtionist, something to go by. Make sure to keep the journal updated daily !

Good luck----Ray
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:30:22 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline antibody

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 08:35:12 pm »
Are you doing any kind of resistance training / weight lifting?  All through high school and college I pretty much weighed the same (I'm 5'7" and weighed about 130#) no matter how much food I ate.  Finally, about 2 years ago, I got off my ass, found a lifting routine I could stick with and increased the protein in my diet accordingly.  After 1 year of lifting 3-4 times a week and eating a protein-rich meal afterwards, I put on about 20#s of muscle, and I'm much happier with the way my body looks.  Building muscle and gaining weight can be difficult, but for me, once I got to the weight I wanted, it was much easier to maintain.  Just a thought.

I haven't really stuck to a work out routine. I started to and then had a lumbar puncture and had a massive headache for a week and hadn't worked out since that was the end of march. my fatigued has sucked so bad I haven't been in mood to do anything after i get home from work. I get up at 5 am to go to work so I know I'm not gettin up any earlier to work out.
I'm hoping with the change of testosterone I will have more energy soon and do plan to start to get in shape.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline RS59

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:33 pm »
antibody, I was in a similar situation a few years back and the doctor prescribed me a low dosage of testosterone & nandrolone.  They're the safest steroids and with least side effects if used correctly.  I did some research before I began using it.

Although normally used by bodybuilders for major muscle gains, for me it worked to have adequate muscle mass and energy along with proper nutrition and exercise.  I do it in 8 - 10 week cycles just like bodybuilders do so my body won't shut down the production of testosterone.  

I immediately began a workout routine for muscle mass and it has worked for me for the last 4 years doing it every 6 months or so.  My normal testosterone levels come back every time and at 5'9" like you I weigh 165 lbs off cycle and have reached up to 180 lbs while on it.  Body fat 9% and with good muscle proportion with 6-pack and all.  You really control how much you want to build.  I focus a lot on my legs since that's the part of the body where I've lost most muscle mass, then try to balance everything else.

The side effects I've experienced while taking it are:
-Being extremely horny
-Perspiring a bit more than usual and thus some acne on my back if I don't scrub often
-A lot more energy than usual
-Never roid-rage although I am a bit less patient while on it.  Once I realized it however, I leaned how to control myself.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:47:20 pm »
Hi antibody,
I was going to suggest Marinol but it sounds like you're already using it.  I'm in the same boat as you since I've recently dropped from 144 to 128 and have lost the desire to eat (I even feel full after a few bites).  The recommendations to drink Ensure + go to the gym are good ones.  Not sure if somebody mentioned this but have you looked into using an anabolic (or HGH) while going to the gym to stack on the muscle?  I'm no expert on either of these so, if interested, maybe you can get more detailed info from somebody else on these boards as well as your doctor.  Good luck!!  :)

Offline antibody

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »
My Doctor wants to see what the Testim will do on it's own and maybe add something else if I can't keep the weight on. I really just want to add  something that will really help. I will talk to him at my next appointment on 6/24. It's been 9 days since he switched me to 1 pack of Testim from 2 packs of Androgel. My energy is up a bit but i still weigh the same 118. Oh and I already take 10mg of Marinol a day and I also smoke MJ. It does help make me hungry but I get full after a few bites.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline elf

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 10:42:23 pm »
I don't recommend taking testosterone because testosterone therapy has been linked to prostate cancer.
High protein shakes are the way to go.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:44:31 pm by elf »

Offline antibody

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 12:17:07 am »
I don't recommend taking testosterone because testosterone therapy has been linked to prostate cancer.
High protein shakes are the way to go.
I've tested low for testosterone 165 so i'm pretty sure it needs replacement or i will waste away and die.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 11:13:59 am »
You can try DHEA to boost your low testosterone till you rack up your levels though exercise and good protein intake. Take it for a week and discontinue for two. Stop when you feel your energy levels are balanced again. They sell it inexpensively at GNC. Daily of 25mg should be enough. ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:22:17 am by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline xsufferer

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
This used to be my problem also.
Now I take probiotics and enzymes for digestion and work out 3 times a week.
Also take the whey protein power once or twice a day.
For my skinny butt I used the SitRelief Shorts by Lipowear.
They really work for me, but take a little getting used to.
Digestion and metabolizing of food is important so I would check with the Doc about ways to better absorb food.
best of luck,
xsufferer

Offline dixieman

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 03:40:57 pm »
antibody... whats your family history? are your parents slim? do they have a high metabolism? some people just have a hard time of maintaining weight while others can look or smell food and put on some pounds. I'm 5'8" 165lbs... and its all muscle but, I'm 48 and the drugs have started the visceral fat deposits within my belly... one thing that worked for me before my small belly came around was (myoplex) its the best protein drink mix I ever drank with my exercise routine also... I have testosterone shots every 2 weeks... I've not seen 118lbs since I was in my early 30's... try eating peanut butter and apple slices for energy... it helps me... let us know how your doing... John

Offline antibody

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 08:00:51 pm »
antibody... whats your family history? are your parents slim? do they have a high metabolism? some people just have a hard time of maintaining weight while others can look or smell food and put on some pounds. I'm 5'8" 165lbs... and its all muscle but, I'm 48 and the drugs have started the visceral fat deposits within my belly... one thing that worked for me before my small belly came around was (myoplex) its the best protein drink mix I ever drank with my exercise routine also... I have testosterone shots every 2 weeks... I've not seen 118lbs since I was in my early 30's... try eating peanut butter and apple slices for energy... it helps me... let us know how your doing... John

Its true my family is thin all the way from my grandparents and uncle, brothers and my mom is tiny. I have always been thin but now my ribs are very prominent. I never expect to get fat. I just want to look like I should. I don't think I'm being unrealistic. Or maybe I am. It gets old when every day someone is gunna make a comment about how skinny I am. I get weird looks when I am out shopping. I know I've scared a few but there looks of disgust. anyways fuck em I always say. So I try to gain weight. I drink a carnation instant breakfast with every meal. I know it is gunna take working out with weights to gain some muscle weight but I work 48 hours a week and I am exhausted. I don't really think 1 pack of Testim is cutting it.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline twalker6181

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 08:59:57 pm »
Hey,

I have the same problem as far as weight. You should as you doctor about a med called MEGACEES. It increases the amount of food u eat and makes u very Hungary. Since taking this i put on about 7pounds the first week and 6pounds the second week. Asked you doctor and let me kno wat he says and stay in touch with this subject.

Offline living63

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 10:32:10 am »
http://www.aephymed.org/engl/EUBIOSIS%20AND%20DISBIOSIS.pdf

..An unbalanced feeding; poor of fruit and vegetables, therefore of fiber vitamins and mineral salts, too much rich of sugars and fats, of refined and industrialized food stuff.
The environmental decline and the presence of pollutants: pesticides, preservative, dyes and additives launch in the food stuff; heavy metals in the foods and in the dental amalgames; perturbations what the abuse of anti-acid and laxatives the indiscriminate use of antibiotic and hormones both iatrogen and alimentary.They can influence, besides, also on the intestinal functionality and therefore on the State of Health and the Comfort.The conditions above described bring, to level of bowel, mainly to the alteration of the equilibrium of the Microbic Intestinal Flora.

when the intestin is not in order it cannot assimilate well all nutrients..
You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time. Abraham Lincoln

Offline antibody

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 07:46:27 pm »
had an appointment with the nutritionist today and i weighed in at 123 lbs. I was pretty stoked to see i added a few pounds. Slowly but I'm gettin' there.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 03:53:11 pm »
Your doing much better than me. Be happy!!! :)
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline subaruturbo

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 06:35:32 am »
kind of late on my response, but here it goes. had the same problem a few months ago 5'8" and weighed a 114 lbs. My biggest weight gain is when I started cooking for myself had a few eggs for breakfast and fixed a nice roast in the evening that would last a few days. I drink alot of coffee and smoke way too many cigarettes gave the other stuff(green) up. It took a little while a couple of weeks ago I weighed in about 125 lbs. Then I started eating four eggs and made them into two sandwhiches and still eating a roast at night well at least half of it. Now I weigh 139 lbs, work out and do push ups what they call diamonds. which your hands are underneath of you which works out your chest much faster. Can do about 80 a day and i just started. when i left jail in 2000 i weighed in at 150 lbs and could go. pump out a 1,000 push ups in one day no problem. I only eat things a like and work with me. All the side effects from the meds are gone. In one month on meds I was undetectable and i take truvada, reyataz and norvir three pills once a day is nice. been on alot of meds in my life time and this has been the easiest one to take. wonder what my testostorone would be lord knows I've never had a problem with my sex drive usually its in overdrive.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 07:20:31 pm »
Wow, you gained 14 lbs in a few weeks?  pretty impressive! 
Gaining weight can be a lot of work so, at the recommendation of my nutritionist, I've been keeping a food diary and it's been a hUGE help.  I have a goal of 3,000+ calories a day and I do everything I can to reach it: high-calorie muffins for breakfast, Ensure, protein shakes with peanut butter, etc.  I've been gaining about 1lb a week but am still 10 lbs shy of what I weighed last April when I was hospitalized.  Gym is also part of the mix. 

I will ask my dr. about the testosterone, which was recommended in this thread.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 06:22:05 pm »
There is this Medication (For Sleeping) Called Remeron. (VERY common Med) This medication makes you gain weight like crazy.

30 pounds on average. It increases your appetite. It will make you gain weight. That is for sure.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:07:51 am by TheRoof »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:36 am »
There is this Medication (For Sleeping) Called Remeron. (VERY common Med) This medication makes you gain weight like crazy.

30 pounds on average. It increases your appetite. It will make you gain weight. That is for sure.

Yeah, I was on that.  It's actually most commonly prescribed as an anit-depressant as far as I know, and the sedation is just a side effect. The tendency to gain weight is a result of the decrease in metabolism in conjunction with the propensity to overeat starchy items on this.  However, when I first went on this medication it was at the worst point of a period of diagnosed HIV wasting in 2002 so for me it was actually very, very helpful in gaining weight.  I was on it for four years and gained back 40 lbs, and went off Remeron once I was +5/10 lbs of my baseline desired weight.  The sedation was quite nice for sleeping as well, as I'm plagued with insomnia issues.  IIRC it also increased my libido, though I was also on testosterone therapy as well.

I actually would have preferred to remain on it forever, as it's basically the only anti-depressant I've ever found beneficial.  I think the weight gain side effect is common in the tetracyclic and tricyclic class of anti-depressants, which is why SSRI and SNRIs are the preferred meds.

Offline antibody

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:19 pm »
I would really prefer no antidepressants but this weight gain side effects sounds like something I need. I keep losing weight and gain back 4 pounds and lose 6 and gain back 3 but I'm seriously underweight and can't seem to get a grip on it. It's quite depressing. I see my Doc next week so I will mention this Remeron as I'm tired of zero improvements on my weight gain.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 08:41:02 pm »
I would really prefer no antidepressants but this weight gain side effects sounds like something I need. I keep losing weight and gain back 4 pounds and lose 6 and gain back 3 but I'm seriously underweight and can't seem to get a grip on it. It's quite depressing. I see my Doc next week so I will mention this Remeron as I'm tired of zero improvements on my weight gain.

I can't remember but aren't you on methadone?  I could be wrong, but Remeron might be be iffy with that.  But if they'll let you take it with it seriously it's not like other anti-depressants, at least it was not for me.  All the other ones make feel like I'm on speed and I just can't tolerate that feeling so I go off of them.  But Remeron isn't so whop-you-over-the-head sedating either... just a little.  And I never felt any hang over from it in the morning after a cup of coffee.

I can't imagine you not gaining weight on it.  Seriously the first day I took Remeron I went to visit a friend in East Hampton and we had a fancy dinner at their house, and I ate four pieces of pie for dessert, plus extra helpings of the main course at dinner.  I've always eaten like a bird so it was very abnormal for me.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 12:21:24 am »
The thing I was always naturally skinny. Never gained weight. As soon as I went on it, I gained over 30 pounds in 2 months.
This has never happened before. I mean I'm happy with it now because I look more "manly"

Trust me. You WILL gain weight from this.

This medication isn't really sedating. But you'll probably get the best sleep of your life. Usually the weight gain is more prominent on higher doses. there is 15, 30, & 45 mg.

p.s. - Miss Philicia does Remeron really slow down your metabolism or is it more the cravings for starchy things. Because I do have cravings for starchy things that is for sure. But which one is it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:24:00 am by TheRoof »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 01:12:24 am »
I was on Remeron from 2002 until 2005 or 6, so it's been a while now, plus during that time I had three or four prescribing doctors because of moving from NYC to Philadelphia, so it was a rather chaotic time period, plus a lot of other drama.  I could swear that's what one of them told me, but I could very well be recalling it incorrectly.  Kind of would make sense to me -- the pie scene I described was the exception.  Yes I was able to eat more but my weight gain was not like yours -- yes, I gained 40 lbs but it was over four years, not within two months like your 30 lbs.  But like I said I had wasting issues when I began so I'm probably not a great case to compare yourself to.

But I distinctly recall the starchy cravings.  So are you still on Remeron or did you go off it?  You should find your system returns to normal when you go off of it if my experience was normal for that.

As far as the sedation, and this sounds counter-intuitive, with Remeron the lower the does the more sedating it is.  They kept wanting me to go up to 45 mg but I liked the  good sleep so I actually bought a pill cutter and took half of that each night :)

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:51 am »
My insomnia is kind of severe.
To the point where if I don't take Remeron. I will not sleep at all. I would just be up all night. I actually take a combo of Trazadone to make me fall asleep.

I take 45mg.
I actually asked the doctor that the lower does might be more sedetative. He said that the 45mg has more "Anti-Depressant" properties and 30mg has more "sedative" properties. (He said that the "Cravings" usually come from the higher doses though)
The sedation properties in the morning aren't bad, if anything I don't really notice them. A good cup of coffee will make everything good.

Offline antibody

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:05 pm »
my Doctor is trying me on a months run of Megace.  Don't think it's made me any more hungry but the food does taste great now. some reason the food is tasting better to me. so maybe that will make me eat more.         
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 07:39:08 pm »
good news Antibody ... maybe some movement for wt gain in a positive direction ... keep us posted .. YaKa
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 07:56:56 pm »

I think traditionally the best thing for weight gain is milk.  I think it's because, although the milk contains lots of calories, it won't fill you up so you'll still eat.  (That's why people trying to lose weight are always told not to drink anything but water.)  If you can find a farmer that gets milk from grass-eating cows it's far better.  Such farmers often keep Jersey or Guernsey or Swiss Brown cows, which give far richer and sweeter milk than our standard Holsteins do.  I, alas, am in the opposite situation--can't seem to lose that last ten pounds no matter what I do--so milk is only an occasional thing for me!
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.