Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:08:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 219
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: taking your meds at a scheduled time  (Read 12612 times)

Offline Teresa

taking your meds at a scheduled time
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:13:52 pm »
When taking your meds..how important is it take them at the same time every day? I have noticed that hubby doesnt take his at the same time every night. He usually takes them between 7-10 pm. Should he be taking them at the same time every night?

Thanks
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Re: taking your meds at a scheduled time
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 02:52:04 pm »
That's a good question. The dosing of drugs depends on the active concentration in the blood. If a drug is cleared rapidly, then the drug will drop below it's active concentration quicker and it needs to be re-dosed to get it back to the active concentration. Those sorts of measurements dictake how many times a drug should be taken per day. When you take the drug it leads to a peak value and when it is cleared this gives a trough value.

When you take medication, it is important to keep on a tight schedule to maximize the chances that you will no dip below the trough value. It is actually more important for once-a-day pills as people tend to adhere loosly to the protocol. Once a day does NOT mean once in the morning one day, and once in the evening the next day. That's a gap of 36 hours, not 24, and the trough values were calculated from 24 hours, not 36. So it is important to keep on schedule. While the difference of 3 hours that you describe is not as extreme as my example, it would be better to take them as close to the correct dosing schedule as you can - as this will make them work better.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:30:06 pm »
Thank you so much....that helps alot.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 06:36:09 pm »
Hello Teresa,

I take my meds at 8:00 Am and 8:00pm. I take one viramune and  the Viread at 8:00am, and the other Viramune and the Epzicom @ 8:00pm. This is what works for me.

I always try to take them at approximately the same times. I may vary by as much as 45 minutes either way at times, But usually, I try to be exact. In my case, since there are no food restrictions, I also try to make sure I have a little something in my stomach, to help take the edge off.

The Best-----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:39:43 am »
Hey Teresa,
I take my meds at 7 a.m., 3 p.m. and 11 p.m., with no food two hours before or one hour after. Oh, I throw in a Zetia at about 7 p.m., but that's not as critical as the others.

I found an alarm wristwatch to be a life saver. Perhaps that would help the hubby?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:38:27 pm »
Hi Teresa,

Me, I dose at 7:00am and 7:00pm and I try to time them around meals.  As Ray already mentined, a 3 hour window is not bad but it's not great.  AN hour window generally is fine but it does depend on the meds.  Your hubbie should ask his doctor next time he sees him or her what kind of window period he can have.  If anything, that grace period helps alleviate any stress to taking the meds to the exact time, hour and minute, especially if taking meds and the routine is still not second nature.  Once he gets a hand of it and dosing becomes routine; the window period is wonderful if for anything else that extra hour sleep in the morning when he is on holidays!!

Cheers,

Alan
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 02:14:58 pm »
Hey Teresa,

I'm kind of like your hubby.  I'm on a once-before-bedtime regimen, and I take my pills within a two-to-three--hour range each night.  If I'm up a little later one night, I'll hold off until I'm about to go to sleep. 

For me, it's worked out just fine. 
Shawn

Offline Teresa

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 02:26:06 pm »
Thanks guys..I feel so much better after your replies!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 03:38:56 pm »
For what its worth, my morning combivir is usually between 730am and 845am and at night my sustiva and combivir is between 9pm and 11pm.  In the beginning I shot for 9pm on a regular basis, but because many times we eat late, I lean towards 1030pm or so.  I goto the doc today for the latest test results so we shall see how things are going.  I have been undetectable the last couple times and the doc does not see a problem with my whacked schedule.

I am however more concerned with what he says about anemia.  My last appt with him a few months back was when he said I was borderline anemic.  Until last week I was fine.  But Wednesday and Thursday I stayed home from work because of fatique.  I thought to myself "And so it begins."
I am not used to being fatiqued as I have often been compared to a hummingbird in that I keep going and going.  For the last month though, weekends and nights after work have been spent building a 24'x10' storage building and I think between that and the heat here in Phoenix have finally started to catch up to me.  I hope all goes well, but something tells me that I may not hear the best of news this afternoon.  But we shall see.
Stang5_0

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »
I asked my doc about this because I take all my meds in the morning with breakfast.  This ranges anywhere from 5am until 8am each day.  I never take them later than 8am and seldom take them before 5am.  So far, so good for me.  But, the items I am on reyetaz, norvir and truvada stay in the body for a while I guess.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 07:41:42 pm »
I take mine every 12 to 14 hours.
My doc told me it was ok, but she could not tell everybody, as some people might stretch it to 15 and 16 hours.

It has worked great for me.

Around midnight and noon.That is how I do it.

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Jacques

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 11:25:58 pm »
On my side  I try to be , as possible as it can be, on scheduled time.
Until recently it was 9am and 9pm with foods. Just started a new once a day regimen last Saturday and from nowone it will be 9am..sharp.  I'm taking haart since 1997 and never delayed taking a dose more than half an hour from the scheduled time and never missed a dose.
My Vl stays undetectable since the beginning, Cd4 count keeps around 1000 (45%) and my Cd4/Cd8 ratio is 1.15. I believe there is a link between these good scores and being religiously faithfull. ;)

Jacques
Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline joemutt

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 12:15:48 am »
My times are 10 am and 10 pm, so i take them between 9.30 and 10.30 mostly. Sometimes when I m busy I forget and then I take it when I find out. I forgot sometimes to take it at all, but very rarely, and I suppose I took them twice sometimes too.
I m on Combivir and Viramune but generic all in one pill. Results good.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.