Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:47:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Two Florida Men Accused of HIV Non Disclosure to Minor  (Read 9512 times)

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
Two Florida Men Accused of HIV Non Disclosure to Minor
« on: January 24, 2013, 02:21:53 pm »
Two men in Florida have been arrested on several counts of sexual assault of a minor, the Sun Sentinel reports. Darrell Allen Evans, 40, and Huy Kien Trinh, 32, met a 16-year-old male using the gay mobile dating app Grindr. They allegedly had unprotected sex with the minor without revealing their HIV-positive status to him. The police claim that Evans and Trinh confessed to regularly having unprotected sex with other males without disclosing they have the virus. A judge set bail for Evans at $410,000 and for Trinh at $420,000, which neither have posted.

http://www.poz.com/articles/florida_nondisclosure_1_23388.shtml?commentson=yes#pagecomments

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/fl-men-accused-of-hiv-crime-20130117,0,7053658.story
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline tednlou2

Re: Two Florida Men Accused of HIV Non Disclosure to Minor
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:51:46 pm »
Curious whether this changes any minds, especially if the boy tests poz.  The age of consent is 18 in FL, which surprises me.  I thought it would be 13. 

Should additional charges be applied, if the boy tests poz?  Or, regardless?  He was not old enough to consent or know the consequences.  It is unclear what all they did.  Was there anal sex?

Just asking questions.   

Offline contagion

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »
Not to forget you need to be 18 years old to be on the app in the first place.
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:08:34 pm »
According to the police reports, these were Trinh's parting words when the boy left his home after their sexcapade: "Don't talk to strangers."

That was after the poppers...
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:39:33 pm »
Curious whether this changes any minds, especially if the boy tests poz.  The age of consent is 18 in FL, which surprises me.  I thought it would be 13. 

Should additional charges be applied, if the boy tests poz?  Or, regardless?  He was not old enough to consent or know the consequences.  It is unclear what all they did.  Was there anal sex?

Just asking questions.   

It does not change my mind.

The boy was lying about his age, as one has to be 18 to use the app in question. The men had no reason to believe he was underage unless he told them, but that's something that will come out during the trial I imagine.

It might be difficult to prove the source of infection, if the boy indeed tests positive. I suspect that this encounter was not his first time at the Grindr rodeo. Of course the questions of viral loads, medication, and the type of sex involved are also going to be necessary for the trial, as these factors weigh heavily on the possibility of transmission.

I imagine if the boy tests positive, they can test to see if his strain of the virus matches one of the men.

As for the men admitting to having unprotected sex without disclosure on multiple occasions, I do have an opinion on that, obviously. But I do not think my life should be stigmatized in order to "protect" society from these people. Unless they were committing rape, the sex was consensual between adults.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:50:45 pm »
Hey Theo: Should the parents be liable for buying their kid a smartphone? Should the owners of Gridr be held liable for having a product that, obviously, someone underage can circumvent their Terms of Service?

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:00:47 pm »

Just asking questions.

Change my mind about what exactly?

Whether they should have disclosed? -- No -- I think they should.

Whether non-disclosure should be criminal -- No -- it should not, regardless of transmission.  Especially since no other disease transmission is criminal.

As for the minor thing -- if they are found guilty of statutory rape, so be it - the kid did misrepresent his age, but that is what a court is for -- to deal with that.  Of course, I knew the deal when I was 16 -- hell I had a 1 year old when I was 16, so age of consent is a nebulous thing in my mind.

If he turns up poz -- and it can be shown to the proper standard (preponderence of the evidence, or some such) that these guys were the source, I haven't a huge issue with a civil case -- but not a criminal one.

M

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:41 pm »

Whether they should have disclosed? -- No -- I think they should.

Whether non-disclosure should be criminal -- No -- it should not, regardless of transmission.  Especially since no other disease transmission is criminal.

Agreed
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:10:31 pm »
Erm...did anyone else pick up on the fact that the kid couldn't pick out either one of them from a photo lineup?  He got completely plowed by two men and made out with both in a hot tub and couldn't remember what either looked like and had to find them through a "controlled text messages"?

Hmmm....mighty strong poppers.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
[quote author=thunter34 link=topic=47047.msg573501#msg573501 date=1359083
He got completely plowed by two men and made out with both in a hot tub and couldn't remember what either looked like .
[/quote]

stop judging me  :) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 11:05:25 pm »
Erm...did anyone else pick up on the fact that the kid couldn't pick out either one of them from a photo lineup?  He got completely plowed by two men and made out with both in a hot tub and couldn't remember what either looked like and had to find them through a "controlled text messages"?

Hmmm....mighty strong poppers.

Ech. This smells strongly of meth.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:16:13 pm »
Ech. This smells strongly of meth.

Didn't this happen in Fort Methdale?

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:15 pm »
Didn't this happen in Fort Methdale?

Pretty much.  Pembroke Crimes Pines is not too far from Faggydale.

And yuss, it reeks of meth.  And a bit fishy for some reason.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »

Pretty much.  Pembroke Crimes Pines is not too far from Faggydale.

And yuss, it reeks of meth.  And a bit fishy for some reason.

TownGate Trash!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:58:33 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:31 am »
 Two things: First, if HIV is now considered a manageable chronic disease, why are they considering attempted murder charges???

Second, was I the only one who noticed this??? :o

Of course, I knew the deal when I was 16 -- hell I had a 1 year old when I was 16, so age of consent is a nebulous thing in my mind.
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline bocker3

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:30:49 am »
Of course, I knew the deal when I was 16 -- hell I had a 1 year old when I was 16, so age of consent is a nebulous thing in my mind.

To ensure clarity and avoid anyone thinking horrible thoughts -- this refers to the fact that my daughter was born when I was 15.

M

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:25:06 am »
To ensure clarity and avoid anyone thinking horrible thoughts -- this refers to the fact that my daughter was born when I was 15.

M

I completely understood what you meant.  It's a dangerous debate and one I'm seldom ready to argue about debate.  The only time I sought mental health counseling was after my diagnosis.  We couldn't get past the fact that I wasn't a victim of sexual abuse. 

I had a quite a active sex life starting at an early age.  I knew exactly what I was doing and was usually the one initiating it.  By the time I was 16 and could drive, I had the ability to hook up with people all over the tri state area. ;D

And gender didn't matter, just the ability to be satisfied.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 12:14:02 am »

M

Sorry, M...but I can't help but laugh at this confuzzlement.   :D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »
Witchhunt.

Neither of these things is illegal in the UK,  and indeed many other European countries and Us states aside from Florida.

I realise there are US federal statutes eg having a beer and state variations eg age of consent for which you need to be well old even though you can enlist and shoot people on your nation's behalf, therefore age of consent may be a contestable limit. But if you are on Grunger, or whatever, hey ho. It may be tacky and ill-advised but so is much of life, including shop-bought burgers and yoghurts with too much sugar in.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 09:08:06 am »
I still find it baffling that authorities in the US never take into consideration that the "victim", regardless of age, consented to the unprotected sex. Did the boy asked the guys for a blood test? If they showed him a fake blood test then yes, I'd consider the boy a victim but that's not the case at all. This ain't rape.

I will never get used to the fact that more and more people are willing to have raw sex these days. You'd only have to do a quick browse on Grindr, Manhunt, etc. to see the amount of people willing to do it. Sometimes I ask "Fuck man, aren't you scared?". But it's pointless, those people think they are Superman.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 09:15:46 am »
I still find it baffling that authorities in the US never take into consideration that the "victim", regardless of age, consented to the unprotected sex. Did the boy asked the guys for a blood test? If they showed him a fake blood test then yes, I'd consider the boy a victim but that's not the case at all. This ain't rape.

I will never get used to the fact that more and more people are willing to have raw sex these days. You'd only have to do a quick browse on Grindr, Manhunt, etc. to see the amount of people willing to do it. Sometimes I ask "Fuck man, aren't you scared?". But it's pointless, those people think they are Superman.

Well apparently mentioning the due dude of having HIV is now skin to bring a grandmother who talks about the food rationing in WW2. To a lot of people - even on this site - AIDS is over.

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:33 am »
When one does a google-image search of "Huy Kien Trinh" one sees his mugshot and a picture of Angie Xtravaganza.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 03:18:20 pm »
When one does a google-image search of "Huy Kien Trinh" one sees his mugshot and a picture of Angie Xtravaganza.

The horror.  That's my avatar.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Rockin

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:52 pm »
Well apparently mentioning the due dude of having HIV is now skin to bring a grandmother who talks about the food rationing in WW2. To a lot of people - even on this site - AIDS is over.

But I don't think they do it because it's ok to take the pills...I think they actually believe it's not gonna happen to them and they put inside their heads that they hate condoms and can't stand them.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 05:52:04 pm »
I still find it baffling that authorities in the US never take into consideration that the "victim", regardless of age, consented to the unprotected sex.

Ah, but the whole "age of consent" law is based on the premise that a person is too young to give consent.  Therefore, in the eyes of the law, he could NOT and did NOT consent to having unprotected sex. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 06:18:38 pm »
Obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere. What's up with these 40 year old queers chasing after teenagers? Seriously, stop the insanity!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »

Well, it seems like the boy probably lied to the men.  In the article, it said the man commented how young the boy looks.  Now, this could have meant he looked younger than 16 to them.  But, the law puts the responsibility on the adult to know for sure.  It do look at it differently, if the boy not only lied to get the Grindr profile, but also continued that lie to the men.  But, I guess that's what you run into, when you're 40 and go after really young guys. 

While teens are physically able to have sex, I don't think they are ready to consider the consequences.  I first had sex at 13, with a woman who was 18.  I looked much older.  I had facial hair by 5th grade.  But, I was not mature enough to consider the consequences.  I am lucky I didn't become a daddy.  I did not even contemplate STDs at that age.  I think she was actually trying to get pregnant.  She wanted to do it over and over.  I swear, we had sex 10 times in a night.  She actually became pregnant right after that, but she said it was her fiancé's.  I've wondered whether the child was actually mine.  Even at 16 and 17, I was not ready to consider the consequences of unprotected sex.  She knew my age.  But, society looks at older women with younger boys differently.  Many see it as a great thing to happen to a young boy.  I saw it as a great thing to brag about.  When straight men or gay men do it, people look at it much differently.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 12:41:34 am »
Btw, i just read this here on POZ.

January 28, 2013

47% of MSM Using Apps to Hook Up Have Unprotected Sex
Almost half of men who have sex with men (MSM) who use dating apps to meet sexual partners have unprotected sex, according to a study by the Community Healthcare Network in New York City and reported by Xtra. Freddy Molano, MD, and Renato Barucco surveyed 725 men who use apps such as Grindr, Scruff, Manhunt and Growlr. About 47 percent of them said they “always, often or sometimes” have unprotected sex. About 68 percent were afraid of contracting HIV. About 81 percent knew “unprotected anal sex” could allow HIV transmission. Respondents included men from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, South America and Eastern Europe.

http://www.poz.com/articles/grindr_molano_barucco_1_23399.shtml

Modified:

Arizona lawmakers are broadening things out to include other STIs.  They include "Climatic bubo," but leave out hepatitis.  I wonder if one of the sponsoring lawmakers has one of the heps?  I would have thought Hep B and C would have been included.  Not that I am saying they should, but that I thought they would include it.  I guess they figure their young son or daughter may accidentally get infected with Hep C from a tattoo? 

In all seriousness, it is odd how they choose what to include.  Since good Christian folks may inadvertently be infected with hepatitis, they aren't including it?  They are including very rare diseases.  Are these diseases found in Mexico?  Well, at least they can say they aren't targeting HIV only. 

http://cronkitenewsonline.com/2013/01/bill-seeks-felony-charge-for-exposing-others-to-hiv-stds/

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:20:33 am by tednlou2 »

Offline newt

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 03:24:53 pm »
I bet no 35 year old woman is done for going down on her 17 year old boyf in Florida and given $half a mill bail plus the press attention/website listings. Different State/country, would be a different story.

I might not have been wise at 16, but I knew what I was doing. And damn well wanted it.

As for the blokes shagging without condoms, I am unfazed, esp as the source article headlines the "news" Almost half of gay men bareback: study. Ahem, no. And so what? This isn't different to 1993 except there are phones and therefore efficiency.

The point of HIV prevention, in wider context, is to allow men to have the sex they want with other men as safely as possible. Always use a condom, not real, sounds out of date.

This is not to say condoms are not a choice, and a real good one sometimes (often), but to say they are a must, or you are bad if you don't use them, no (in short and to be polite).

- matt
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:32:48 pm by newt »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 03:32:03 pm »
Actually as far as 1993 goes, I do not recall half of the guys wishing to bareback. Not even 25% and in Slutty Ole NYC.  Probably five years later though yes.

Offline newt

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 03:33:24 pm »
Well maybe we counted that shit earlier in the UK.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.