Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:05:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 390
Total: 390

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Rash after almost 2 months  (Read 8450 times)

Offline DDGB

Rash after almost 2 months
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:52 am »
Hi all
I've been on Stocrin/Truvada for almost 2 months now - and all of a sudden im bumpy on my chest, neck, face and back and itching! Not flaky, just itchy bumps - typical rash i guess. Is this normal? I had an initial rash when i started my meds, but it disappeared. So why on earth this now? Other than that, im very healthy. No negative side effects, apart from having the appetite of a horse:)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Rash after almost 2 months
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:08:57 am »
Hi all
I've been on Stocrin/Truvada for almost 2 months now - and all of a sudden im bumpy on my chest, neck, face and back and itching! Not flaky, just itchy bumps - typical rash i guess. Is this normal? I had an initial rash when i started my meds, but it disappeared. So why on earth this now? Other than that, im very healthy. No negative side effects, apart from having the appetite of a horse:)

Were your CD4 numbers low to begin with?  The same sort of thing happened to me, the longer I've been on it and as my numbers have improved it goes away and comes back, weaker and weaker each time.

Offline DDGB

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:19:22 am »
Yes, it was VERY low - 54 to be exact. After 6 weeks on the meds it shot up to 256:) which is great, but now of course im stressing that something  is all of a sudden going wrong because i read that initial rash will go away and here i come with it flaring up as my numbers improve.  Great to hear im not alone in this experience tho. Did your appetite increase a lot too??

Offline papichasing

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:22:48 am »
The same thing is happening to me. Same kind of rash. My CD4 was very low at first, only 15, and now is 268 after 2 months in Atripla. My doctor says that the rash is maybe a reaction to one of the antibiotics that I'm taking and put me in a medication for 6 days that I started today but so far does not seems to be working. He asked me to let him know after the 6 days if I still have the rash but he wasn't alarmed when he saw the rash so I am assuming that it's a normal reaction. And yes, my appetite has increased a lot lately. It's like I'm hungry all the time. But in my case it's a good thing since I've been skinny all my life and I'm gaining a few extra pounds that are more than welcome.

Offline DDGB

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:32:53 am »
Maybe i should give my doc a call then if it doesnt calm down by say early next week. I'm only on one antibiotic (was on double that last month) so not likely that it would all of a sudden cause probs? UGH I dont know, i just know i hate ITCHING!! I dont like being hungry either - I'm sort of a normal weight now (I'm 1.65 and weigh anywhere between 59 and 62), so i'm fine with it, thing is just i have gained like 5kgs in 2 months (i weighed 55 when i was diagnosed) and i'm just scared it wont stop coz im not very tall and will quickly look round:) And i am really trying here, trying not to eat too much, but i cant help if im so HUNGRY.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:30:24 pm »
Maybe i should give my doc a call then if it doesnt calm down by say early next week. I'm only on one antibiotic (was on double that last month) so not likely that it would all of a sudden cause probs? UGH I dont know, i just know i hate ITCHING!! I dont like being hungry either - I'm sort of a normal weight now (I'm 1.65 and weigh anywhere between 59 and 62), so i'm fine with it, thing is just i have gained like 5kgs in 2 months (i weighed 55 when i was diagnosed) and i'm just scared it wont stop coz im not very tall and will quickly look round:) And i am really trying here, trying not to eat too much, but i cant help if im so HUNGRY.

Yeah this all sounds very familiar.  I've been on Atripla for I think 8 months now and my skin is mostly clear now and yes my appetite came back with a screaming vengeance almost as soon as I started meds.  Show your doctor the rash and see what he thinks.  Mine actually thought my rash was not the atrpla rash but my immune system coming back "online"  (I.R.I.S.) he gave me a 2 week round of Tetracycline (aka gastrointestinal stress test) and it did seem to help.  All of this has slowly but surely faded over time but it's taken me almost a year to get back to "normal".

Offline DDGB

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:49:46 am »
It is SUCH a relieve to know that there is someone who is experiencing the exact same things as me...thanks so much for chatting to me.  I'm glad you're basically back to normal - I guess it's a small price to pay for being alive hey? Have a wonderful day
**Hugs**

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:44:16 pm »
It is SUCH a relieve to know that there is someone who is experiencing the exact same things as me...thanks so much for chatting to me.  I'm glad you're basically back to normal - I guess it's a small price to pay for being alive hey? Have a wonderful day
**Hugs**

This website exists to let us all know that we're not alone out there.  So I'm glad I can do my small part in helping you find some relief from the stresses of this disease.  As for the side effects, I would gladly deal with much worse as long as I'm still alive.  I hope you have an excellent day yourself.

Offline DDGB

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:11:37 am »
Hello again. I couldnt agree more - as long as i'm alive and well i'm willing to take on ANYTHING.  I really thought this was going to be much harder actually  -  I thought I was going to be depressed all the time, but I'm just not.  I know this is thanks to my wonderful boyfriend and my faith, but still, I'm giving myself a thumbs up:)  AND TO ALL OF YOU!! When i cant visit this site for a couple of days i miss it like crazy:)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:25:11 am »

Hello again.

Hello. :)

How's the rash? I'm hoping you didn't mention it because it's cleared up?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 10:44:21 am »
The same thing is happening to me. Same kind of rash. My CD4 was very low at first, only 15, and now is 268 after 2 months in Atripla. My doctor says that the rash is maybe a reaction to one of the antibiotics that I'm taking and put me in a medication for 6 days that I started today but so far does not seems to be working. He asked me to let him know after the 6 days if I still have the rash but he wasn't alarmed when he saw the rash so I am assuming that it's a normal reaction. And yes, my appetite has increased a lot lately. It's like I'm hungry all the time. But in my case it's a good thing since I've been skinny all my life and I'm gaining a few extra pounds that are more than welcome.

Atripla made u gain weight??? I taught it made ppl loose weight. Im about to start Atripla and im not lookin to gain weight. I use to be chubby 5' 5 160 now im 130lbs. Im loving my slim/skinny frame-with a six pack.. im not trynna loose my six pack  so i hope it dont make me gain weight. i hope my appetite do not increase.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 02:57:18 pm »
Atripla made u gain weight??? I taught it made ppl loose weight. Im about to start Atripla and im not lookin to gain weight. I use to be chubby 5' 5 160 now im 130lbs. Im loving my slim/skinny frame-with a six pack.. im not trynna loose my six pack  so i hope it dont make me gain weight. i hope my appetite do not increase.

I gained weight but only because I was trying to, I had wasted away a good solid 80 pounds though and have only regained 30 of it.

Offline DDGB

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 04:52:42 am »
Hi Ann:)
The rash seems to be much better in my facial area, but my back and chest still itching... It doesnt seem to get any worse tho, so now I dont know if I should go to the doctor or if she'll just think i'm silly for running to her with every little problem.

Kev: The weight gain - I had pneumonia and lost quite a bit of weight, so I think the weight gain was just basically going back to my "normal" weight - I seem to have settled down in the weight gain department, so that's a relief.  And from what I read on hear, limb fat gain is actually a very good sign.  If you've always been skinny, i dont think you need to worry about gaining weight. Also, if you had something like pneumonia, your appetitie would of course disappear, I think my body just went into overdrive with the hunger pains when I got healthy again:) As i said, all better now. Have a healthy appetitie, but not craving everything in sight anymore.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:08 am »
DD,

You've had this rash for around two weeks now. If it's not gone by the end of this coming weekend, you may want to contact your doctor. Don't worry about contacting her with "every little problem". Sometimes big problems start out small and it's better to be safe than sorry if something doesn't seem to be resolving on its own in a reasonable amount of time.

Keep us posted!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline DDGB

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51:07 am »
Thanks Ann, I think I must _ dunno why I feel "stupid" to phone her, she's actually great...Will def keep you posted, thanks for the feedback. As always, it's so FANTASTIC to have you guys in my life, although I'm starting to feel a tiny bit worried about this stupid rash now...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 09:02:56 am »
DD, sorry, didn't mean to make you worried. It sounds like it's slowly starting to clear up (your face is better), so that's a good thing. I just meant that if there isn't more improvement by the end of this coming weekend, then it would be prudent to talk it over with your doctor.

Hang in there hun!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline DDGB

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 09:33:03 am »
No no, Ann, please dont say sorry:)  I decided to see my doc tomorrow -appointment made for early morning - will let you know the minute i get back:)  Coz just as i wrote my face is better, it's itching all over again, even my ears. So enough is enough - why suffer when someone can give you something to alleviate your so-called pain. Thanks Ann - lots and lots of hugs.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 10:12:56 am »

Coz just as i wrote my face is better, it's itching all over again, even my ears.

Hehehehe... sod's law, that.

I'm glad to hear you've scheduled an appointment. Good luck!

Hugs back at ya....
Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline DDGB

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 04:41:26 am »
Some rash feedback: doc doesnt seem to think it's anything serious, was given a cream and some very strong antihistamines and a waiting period of 2 weeks - if not cleared up it could just be my body complaining about the antibiotics that might be a bit too strong for my system.  So for now nothing serious - had a good and throrough general checkup and had a gynae checkup so just waiting for those results:)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:43 am »
I hope the cream and antihistamines do the trick and you're feeling better real soon. Keep us posted!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline DDGB

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 09:36:33 am »
Thanks Ann and thanks for all the wonderful support! Will post soon
x

Offline DDGB

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 02:18:19 am »
Rash feedback: it's better!!!! The cortisone cream seems to do the trick, thank goodness!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 09:23:44 am »
Great news! :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.