Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:45:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 690
Total: 693

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "♬♪ I can see clearly now...♬♪" Bye bye Efavirenz, hello Rilpivirine!! :-)  (Read 3821 times)

Offline terrymoore

So...I am in a very good mood today. A month ago i switched from 9 pills a day (Alluvia + Truvada) to Atripla, very hopeful and optimistic. I was very excited to have a 1 pill/day regiment. The side-affects at first seemed relatively mild and i was convinced that i was of the majority that can tolerate this wonder-pill well. Well... after around a month, and lots of denial, paranoia, mood-swings, foggy-ness and a state of constant confusion, i decided to go see my doc and tell him my situation. After explaining to me the probable cause of my state (the common side-affects of the Efavirenz found in Atripla) he recommended i move to a Complera-like regiment. Basically, the Efavirenz is replaced by Rilpivirine (aka Edurant) which apparently has a much more milder affect on the CNS. Unfortunately the 1 pill Complera is not sold in Thailand (where i live) but, Edurant is, and so is Truvada - in fact i still had 2 bottles from my first treatment regiment. My main concern was the dependancy on food, which, after getting sage advice from others in this forum (you know who you are) i decided was a small price to pay for getting my mind back. I went to the pharmacy, bought the Edurant, and at 8pm, after a few pints of Guinness and some fatty pub food, i made my way to the washroom, where i popped my 2 pills (of course the tiny Edurant pill made it to the floor before it made it to my mouth - Murphy`s Law!). So far it has been very good! I was able to stay out a few more hours and drive home - no foggy/drunk/stoned feeling and i slept like a baby. I woke up this morning chirpy and sharp as an arrow, ploughing through my TO-DO list and feeling like I AM BACK! I know i may be celebrating a bit early, but the sudden clarity is really refreshing. It is great to know that there are alternatives! This song came to mind and i cant stop humming it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSuB4t3q_dA . Thanks for your time and have a great day peeps!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Good for you … onward !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Excellent news Terry. Hopefully it will continue to be a med you barely notice taking!
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline terrymoore

Thanks guys! Now my worry is how much food do i really need to eat before taking the meds (is an apple enough? granola bar + banana...etc). And...how do i prevent resistance. I try not to think of the latter, but it is a concern in the back of my mind...

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Don’t overthink it … you are not going to end up with resistance issues.

I have to take my meds with food and lunch seems to be the best time for me when I consistently eat between 10 am till 2 pm . Just choose a time of day when you know you will be having a meal and take your meds when you eat if you eat at noon one day and 10 am the next it wont matter, nor will it matter if you take them around 2 if you have a late lunch. If you cant plan on one meal a day with a 4 hour window period then … get your life in order boy and get with the program.  :) ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline terrymoore

Thanks Jeff G!
I have chosen 8pm (Thai time) as my "med-time".
I usually eat late - sometimes after 8 (no later than 9 and in those cases i will take the pills at 9!).
When i travel to Europe 2-3 times a year, i will either have a late afternoon sandwich/granola bar + fruit/whatever or early dinner OR...if i am there for more than a week i will just delay and adjust to the local time. For East Coast USA (i go once a year) i will have it after BF (8am). Its weird adjusting to the new time and well, a bit exciting (?)...

Looking forward to my next med switch hopefully be a shot once a month! :-))) (let`s hope they invent it - or a cure!)

Offline Expat1

I tend to wake up late in the morning.  So I decided to take it at the first meal of the day.  Which for me is around 10:30 am. 

I make it a little ritual.  First I always keep a 7-11 frozen dinner in the freezer. In case I am lazy and decide not to make a full breakfast.  In that case its the Entree (say chicken fried rice) and a fruit like a banana and a drink like milk or oh.

I put my two pill bottles on the table.  I start with Recovir EM.  I eat the meal. Then I take the Edurant.  As I use the medicine, i move it from next to me to the far side of the table.  This method has worked for me and remain undetectable.  That's how I do it.  Works for me.  My partner takes meds twice daily and he sets an alarm and if he's asleep he jumps up.  I hear him rattling his meds.   He does it with clockwork precision twice daily 7am. and 7pm.   His meds don't require food.  He doesn't seem to have problems with the Efavirenz.

It took about a week or two for the dreams to fully subside from the Atripla.  The moodiness was gone in 4-5 days.  And you need to get a viral load test about 6 weeks after you switch to make sure the virus continues to be suppressed.  Then again in 3 more months.  Then I went back to 6 month intervals in vl testing. 

Cheers.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.