Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 343
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tedderz Update (The Worrier)  (Read 3534 times)

Offline tednlou2

Tedderz Update (The Worrier)
« on: June 21, 2010, 05:47:27 pm »
Well, I went to the doc today for my 3 month visit.  I wanted to get your guy's thoughts.  I want to first say that I do realize when I talk about my issues, I know they are pretty insignificant compared to what others here are experiencing.  I just want to be clear about that.  I know some can't get their CD4's up past 200. 

Okay, my latest numbers are:  CD4:  668 at 20% and VL 9,780

On the previous 2 labs, they were 811 at 21%, VL 27,700 and 703 at 23%, VL 12,600 respectively

I'm looking at that CD4 and % and seeing a trend downward.  I know I asked about this last time and many said 811 to 703 with a % increase was basically the same.  And, I've mentioned this before--  It seems whenever my vl drops, my other numbers take a hit.  I realize 668 is still very good and I should be thankful for that.  That percentage is a little worrisome.  I know when I got sick and hospitalized, my CD4 was 171 at 19%.  Now, I know the CD4 was a temporary reading, but I wonder whether that 19% is what allowed me to get so sick.

My doc keeps saying I'm doing great and wanted me to make my next appt for 4 months instead of 3.  I need to point out that when I gave the blood for this lab, I actually went to the ER that same day.  I was having severe pains under my right rib for several days prior to that.  They said I was just constipated and my liver numbers were good.  My doc today said the constipation could have caused my CD4 to be lower.  I asked whether just constipation would cause your body to use up white blood cells.  I mean, it isn't like some infection or anything.  He said it could plus the anxiety of wondering what was going on with me.  Being a worrier, I thought something was wrong with my liver. 

So, just wondering whether you guys feel this seems to be looking like a trend?  What about that 20%?  I've read that many docs will suggest meds if your % drops below 20 regardless of your CD4.  I suppose I will just have to see what happens over the next couple labs.  I don't like that 20% number.  I keep being surprised by the low viral load.  My doc and his resident who was sitting in said as long as my vl is low, I shouldn't be worrying myself so much.  They said if I start getting colds and other illnesses, that the % could become more an issue.       

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Tedderz Update (The Worrier)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 06:05:52 pm »
tedderz, you know that one day you'll go on meds.  Yes, they are trending downwards not upwards but I'd say that the trend is either just beginning or might even go back up next time.  If it is indeed a downward trend it's a bit slow of one, so if your worry is that the floor is going to drop out and you suddenly find yourself at 300 cd4 and 14% next visit I'm pretty sure that won't happen.  If it ends up being 550 and 18% then you can go on meds and stop worrying (though I know you'll keep worrying even once you take meds because that's my dearest Theodora :)))

Please try and relax some girl -- Miss P worries about you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:22:39 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »
Yairs. As Philicia say if (when) you drop below 19% you should start meds. In fact no real reason not to start now, if you're sufficiently fucked up about these things.

Don't let things get too far below 19%. It becomes tiresome.

MtD

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »
   Tednlou ,
                    your numbers sound good .

You MAY never  get ill .

I dropped to 101 t-cell     and a bizzillion  VL   

And NEVER  got colds or felt  bad   EVER !

Yes we are all different  ,but I think you will be fine for a while

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:31 pm »
What they said, also if you want to do a test every 3 months for peace of mind then insist on making the appointments every 3 months.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 02:20:27 am »
tedderz, you know that one day you'll go on meds.  Yes, they are trending downwards not upwards but I'd say that the trend is either just beginning or might even go back up next time.  If it is indeed a downward trend it's a bit slow of one, so if your worry is that the floor is going to drop out and you suddenly find yourself at 300 cd4 and 14% next visit I'm pretty sure that won't happen.  If it ends up being 550 and 18% then you can go on meds and stop worrying (though I know you'll keep worrying even once you take meds because that's my dearest Theodora :)))

Please try and relax some girl -- Miss P worries about you.

Thanks everyone for the responses and kind words.  About knowing I'll have to start meds one day-- I was just talking about this.  I was saying that even though I'm dealing with all the stress of having HIV, I have gotten use to having HIV but not having to take meds.  I'm trying to prepare myself mentally so that when I do start, it won't be some huge event.

On another note--  I got those numbers on Monday.  Tuesday I had some bowel issues which I rarely have.  Wednesday, I had a bad sore throat with a fever of 101.8.  I felt like I was getting the flu.  I began thinking this was all psychosomatic.  I did the bloodwork on May 28th and I start getting sick the day after I get stressed over that percentage--seems like all in my head. 

However, on Monday I got the Hep B portion of my vaccination series.  When I looked up info about the Hep B vaccine, it said sore throat, fever over 100, and flu like symptoms.  I remember when I got the Hep A portion and the H1N1 vaccine, I also felt a little crappy.  So, I'm thinking this has been due to the Hep B vaccine and not in my head.  My fever has come down but my throat is still very sore.  I do come from a long line of hypochondriacs, but I'm trying to get my mind prepared and thinking rationally. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 02:33:12 am »
I do come from a long line of hypochondriacs

Oh, I'd just never have guessed that one.

But seriously Theo, aren't you taking a multi-vitamin at least daily?  If so popping a few extra pills (or even just one) isn't that big of a step as long as you have no side effects, and most people on the new stuff don't have them.  No use worrying about things that most likely won't happen.   
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Boze

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:23:07 am »
Hey Teddz,

You've been at this for much longer, but just wanted to give you my personal account. I started Atripla 3 weeks ago with good numbers. Can't really complain of anything. Just pop one pill before going to sleep, don't feel a thing after I wake up. If anything I feel more energized and less tired.
I was worried about Atripla side-effects - but so far (knock wood), there have been none. And if are worried about affording it in the future - it's already $150 for generic version sold online.
Best of all I think you'll just remove this wall of worry about 'starting meds one day'. It's like jumping in water and discovering it to be nice and refreshing after worrying about it for a long time.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 09:08:24 am »
If you keep up this trend of worrisome thought patterns we're going to have to get you to start posting in "Am I Infected?"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 03:09:40 am »
Hey Teddz,

You've been at this for much longer, but just wanted to give you my personal account. I started Atripla 3 weeks ago with good numbers. Can't really complain of anything. Just pop one pill before going to sleep, don't feel a thing after I wake up. If anything I feel more energized and less tired.
I was worried about Atripla side-effects - but so far (knock wood), there have been none. And if are worried about affording it in the future - it's already $150 for generic version sold online.
Best of all I think you'll just remove this wall of worry about 'starting meds one day'. It's like jumping in water and discovering it to be nice and refreshing after worrying about it for a long time.

If my % keeps trending downward, then I'm going to take that plunge.  Thanks for your encouraging words. 

If you keep up this trend of worrisome thought patterns we're going to have to get you to start posting in "Am I Infected?"

I know, right?  Well, I have made a lot of progress with the worrying over these last 18 months or whatever it is now.  I have been fortunate that I haven't really been sick-sick, since I was diagnosed.  When I do get these things like I'm having now, then I start blaming it on HIV.  My temp is back to normal but my throat still hurts like hell.  I use to never get sick during the summer.  To be honest, since diagnosis, I haven't had anything other than a small cold and a few sore throats.   

It could be stressing out over that percentage and getting that Hep B vaccination.  I've also noticed something else.  The last couple times I've gotten a little fever with sore throat has been after a vaccination or a dental appointment.  Last Friday (the Friday before my HIV doc appt), I was in the dental chair for 6 hours.  Yes, 6 hours!!  So, I think that stressed me out and I suppose with my big mouth being open that long I was probably just soaking up all the germs in the air..lol.  I had chipped 2 teeth a few years ago and they fixed them with some composite material or something.  They looked good, but kept having to be redone.  So, they are putting on crowns or veneers.  They said just doing 2 would cause them to stand out, so they suggested I do all 6 upper teeth that are seen when I smile.  They saw down your teeth for this process.  If I had known it was such an ordeal, I probably wouldn't have done it. 

My point is I'm trying to not blame this "illness" on HIV and blame it on the stress of the 6 hour dental appt and maybe the vaccination.  I guess I still have this irrational fear that my numbers could crash and I just drop dead.  I know that is irrational thinking.  I mean, I see people in bad shape with AIDS who didn't just drop dead.  It is something that would happen over time.  But that is how irrational thoughts work I guess.  I'm working on them and still seeing a therapist. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 03:31:07 am »
Oh, I noticed my CD8 cells were over 2,000.  They have always been like 1,500 to 1,800.  CD8 cells are what help your body keep HIV in check, right?  Aren't they believed to be responsible for keeping viral loads low?  I'm pretty sure that is what I've read and how research says while the high CD8 cells are a good thing, they can also cause inflammation.

Anyway, I was wondering about other things I've heard people talk about like neurophils, lymphocytes--or something like that.  Are those indicators that should be monitored that could give a better picture of how one's immune system is doing?  I know my doc has never mentioned those or the CD8. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.