Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:53:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 605
Total: 605

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Exposure to blood in water  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Blake24

Exposure to blood in water
« on: May 10, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »
Hi there,

I have always been extremely afraid of contracting HIV, quite possibly dealing with an obsessive compulsive disorder associated with the virus.  My situation exists as such:

I had sex with a girl 3 weeks ago after being out in the sun all day (heat beat).  I wore a condom but had a small cut on the end of my penis (covered by condom).  Directly after sex I went to the bathroom, took of the condom and washed off the vaginal fluids and semen with hot water and dial for men soap (not sure if the brand matters, but thought I'd be safe).  I got absolutely no sleep that night and was up all day the next day worried out of my mind at work.

3-4 days after the encounter I started to notice HIV symptoms: swollen lymph nodes in neck, then a few days later a dry throat, what looks like thrush and swollen lymph nodes in armpit on one side.  My throat is still dry, not really sore and my tongue is white.  2 weeks ago I was pricked by a sewing needle that was being used by one of my fellow co-workers.  I'm not sure of his HIV status.  He's a gay, mid 30's man from Italy (not sure if that matters- definitely not meaning to be insensitive or stereotype- just want to give all the info).

I asked the girl about her sexual past and she said that she hasn't had sex with anyone since mid February.  I asked her to get tested and she agreed.  Her test results came back negative for everything with both an antibody test and a PCR DNA test.

Because I obsess over HIV infection I already knew all of the symptoms and was hoping that these physical manifestations were brought on by stress but I thought I would get your advice.  What are my risks of contracting HIV from my sexual encounter and from the sewing needle prick?  Thank you for your time.  The people on this site have really helped to ease my stress about the whole situation as you're very welcoming and understanding.  In general this site and its members have greatly benefited my outlook on HIV as a whole.  So even before my advice is given I would like to thank everyone in this community for being so accepting and tolerant.

Best,

Blake24

Offline RapidRod

Re: Worried about possible risk, need help please...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:24:45 pm »
At no time did you have an exposure.

Offline Blake24

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
Thanks for your help.  Can you please explain why I wasn't exposed at any point.  I feel that when I was cleaning her fluids off me afterward I pushed some into the cut.  Also I'm worried I might have got some fluids in my nose at some point which is a mucous membrane.  Is the needle prick a "no risk" scenario as well?  Sorry for being a little neurotic about this but I never get sick and these physical symptoms are exactly the ones I've heard of from acute HIV infection.  Thanks.

Blake24

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:55:14 am »
Blake,

As Rodney told you, at no time were you at risk for hiv infection.

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

For this reason, you were not at risk from the vaginal fluids you may have touched or transferred to your penis when they were on the outside of the condom. You were not at risk from the sewing needle for the same reason.

A needle-stick with a sewing needle is not even remotely the same as sharing drug injecting equipment, so don't even go there.

It sounds as though you need to see a therapist for what you perceive to be hiv related OCD. We cannot (and will not) deal with your OCD here - you need face-to-face therapy for that.

You don't have to live your life in fear, you only need to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER EITHER INCIDENT YOU BRING TO US, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Blake24

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:00:41 am »
Ann,

Thanks for your advice.  I am going to see a therapist about my obsessive thoughts concerning HIV as they greatly affect my life.  My mind is put at ease, thanks so much.

Blake24

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:44 am »
Blake,

You're welcome.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Blake24

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:05:46 pm »
I'm sorry for being a pest. I recently made out with a guy who is possibly POZ. I've read a few threads on how saliva isn't a reliable means to transmit HIV but was curious if I should start PEP to be on the safe side. I only made out (open mouthed) for about 10 seconds and then drank vodka directly after. Not sure if that matters as far as killing the virus. Again, sorry for being s nuisance but I just wanted your opinion.

Blake

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:16:59 pm »
I'm sorry for being a pest. I recently made out with a guy who is possibly POZ. I've read a few threads on how saliva isn't a reliable means to transmit HIV but was curious if I should start PEP to be on the safe side. I only made out (open mouthed) for about 10 seconds and then drank vodka directly after. Not sure if that matters as far as killing the virus. Again, sorry for being s nuisance but I just wanted your opinion.

Blake

Blake,

HIV is a fussy, fragile virus and human saliva contains more than a dozen substances which actively inhibit it. The vodka would have made things even more inhospitable for HIV.

You CANNOT contract HIV through kissing. Not even through big, open mouth sloppy ghey kisses.

You do not need pep nor HIV testing for this incident.

Have you made an appointment with a therapist like you said you would?

MtD

Offline Blake24

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:06 pm »
Hey Matty,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I'll try not to dwell on it.  I've had thrush for about 2 months now because of stress and allergies and its really annoying.  I'm working out a lot more which is supposed to naturally boost serotonin in the brain and balance out my obsessive thoughts.  I was doing a low carb diet that was allegedly going to help but I went back to my old way of eating as a nice piece of chocolate or a cookie will probably make me happier in the long run.  Whatever works I guess... I'm kind of in limbo right now but once I get settled in my new place in August I'm going to start seeing a counselor and try to get my OCD or whatever it is under control.  Thanks for your concern.

Blake

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 04:23:13 am »
Hey Matty,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I'll try not to dwell on it.  I've had thrush for about 2 months now because of stress and allergies and its really annoying.  I'm working out a lot more which is supposed to naturally boost serotonin in the brain and balance out my obsessive thoughts.  I was doing a low carb diet that was allegedly going to help but I went back to my old way of eating as a nice piece of chocolate or a cookie will probably make me happier in the long run.  Whatever works I guess... I'm kind of in limbo right now but once I get settled in my new place in August I'm going to start seeing a counselor and try to get my OCD or whatever it is under control.  Thanks for your concern.

Blake

Blake,

Tell it to a therapist. We don't care.

We're not a support site for social spastics and the emotionally frail. We're an HIV/AIDS website and we cannot help you with your issues.

So stop wasting your time and ours.

MtD

Offline Blake24

Exposure to blood in water
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:09:38 am »
Hey there,

I was swimming with my friends the other day in a lake.  One of my friends had a large gash on his foot that was still bleeding when he was swimming.  I was wondering if it were possible for the HIV virus to still remain infectious in lake water? And if so what was the degree of risk involved with swimming in the lake?

Thanks for your help,

Blake

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Exposure to blood in water
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 01:12:47 am »
Please return to your original thread, where you will receive the same answer that you have received regarding all your queries: no risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Exposure to blood in water
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:36 am »
Blake,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

If you had paid attention the first time you were here, you would have known that hiv does not remain viable and able to infect outside the body. It certainly cannot infect when in water.

As I suggested in May, get yourself into therapy to deal with your OCD. We cannot and will not help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.