Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:39:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 273
Total: 273

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aloh Verra  (Read 5304 times)

Offline collegedude250

Aloh Verra
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:38 pm »
I saw some studies on a school database and also on the internet linking aloh to better t-cell counts and lower viral counts. Does anyone have any further information on this?

Offline texaninnyc87

Re: Aloh Verra
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »
No alternative therapies are going to compare to meds. google "aloe vera and HIV" and you will find some info though.

this should tell you mostly what you need to know:
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q219896.html?ic=2003
notice, the response is from a MD...

my opinion:
aloe vera is good for burns and those aloe juice drinks are super hydrating and cooling on hot days. other than those purposes, i'd stick to the pills. some alternative therapies might even have negative interactions with medications so if you do decide to supplement your pills with alternative methods check with your ID and do some research about how your meds will interact with whatever "remedy" you're trying out.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:42:51 pm by texaninnyc87 »
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

MilburnCreek

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:00:15 am »
Agree with Tex 100%. 

Would add though, if you want to *supplement* your HAART meds with other non-meds, consider selenium.  There are a number of professional studies out there suggesting selenium supplementation could be useful.  I started selenium in September 2012, and had my highest CD4 % ever this month.

Purely anecdotal of course, bt worth looking into.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »
I've never taken selenium, other than what is in a multi-vitamin, and my cd4 count has been over 1700 for the past year.

I also enjoy smoking and doing poppers, purely anecdotal of course!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:11:47 pm »
Agree with Tex 100%. 

Would add though, if you want to *supplement* your HAART meds with other non-meds, consider selenium.  There are a number of professional studies out there suggesting selenium supplementation could be useful.  I started selenium in September 2012, and had my highest CD4 % ever this month.

Purely anecdotal of course, bt worth looking into.

Links please.

I remember inquiries into whether selenium was useful PRE-HAART - before medication. 

There studies about its utility for people on HAART?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

MilburnCreek

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 02:17:35 pm »
There are a few of you, who, for what reason I will never know, make a sport of being as bitchy and catty and critical as you can of me.  I am not sure why.  Any one of you are capable of doing a google search and investigating this for yourself, a I have. 

I made a suggestion for someone to follow up on. I dont have to print a fucking doctoral thesis everytime I write something on thee boards

Nonetheless,  you can start here:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961297

The first 12 google returns on HIV and Selenium all returned studies performed in the last 10 years - long after HAART.  Take it or leave it as you wish.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:27:42 pm »
Hmm. Its not a personal criticism. I wrote the above because I was aware of studies in "resource poor" locations, specifically malnourished people, with AIDS.

Geez you don't want to show a source, don't.  No problem.  Or supply one when asked, but bitch about it.  Whatever. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:40:31 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:51:34 pm »

Mama use to send me in the backyard in Florida to grab a piece of Aloe when I stayed in the sun too long.  My dog at the time use to eat Aloe and she died of breast cancer..... hard to believe but true.

Take from it what you will....
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:32:02 pm »
There are a few of you, who, for what reason I will never know, make a sport of being as bitchy and catty and critical as you can of me.  I am not sure why.  Any one of you are capable of doing a google search and investigating this for yourself, a I have. 

I made a suggestion for someone to follow up on. I dont have to print a fucking doctoral thesis everytime I write something on thee boards

Nonetheless,  you can start here:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961297

The first 12 google returns on HIV and Selenium all returned studies performed in the last 10 years - long after HAART.  Take it or leave it as you wish.

Milburn, nobody got "bitchy and catty and critical" with you in this thread. You were asked to provide a link (not "print a fucking doctoral thesis") to back up what you said. That is standard in this forum.

YOU were the only one in this thread to get bitchy.

I hope you read my reply to you in your ill-advised "Really Disappointed in the Nasty blahblahblah" thread.

And DO NOT reply to my post here. The highjack of collegedude's thread ENDS HERE. And yes, that's a warning.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

MilburnCreek

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:09:02 pm »
1) Ummm...you didnt reply to me anywhere...you replied to someone else.

2) If you followed the half dozen threads these bitches have harassed me on, you would have a clearer understanding.

3)  FUCK YOU, CUNT. 

How's that? 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 09:12:42 pm »

2) If you followed the half dozen threads these bitches have harassed me on, you would have a clearer understanding.

3)  FUCK YOU, CUNT. 

How's that?

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 09:17:50 pm »
Toodles, MC. It's been a pleasure. ;)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 09:21:12 pm »

3)  FUCK YOU, CUNT. 

How's that? 

You're banned.

How's that?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:33 pm »
We really should start a thread about the dangers of steroid use and abuse within the Poz community. This could be turned into a teaching moment for a lot of people considering going down the same, self-destructive path.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:21:52 pm »
We really should start a thread about the dangers of steroid use and abuse within the Poz community. This could be turned into a teaching moment for a lot of people considering going down the same, self-destructive path.

Agreed. Along with a suggestion that if anyone decides to start taking supplements and/or vitamins after reading about someone else's routine, they should consult their healthcare provider first because without the proper knowledge, even taking too much selenium can be toxic.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 11:35:31 pm »
I think that's excellent Ideas . I would like to see some thing good come from this unfortunate situation , its all I ever wanted when I spoke up about this issue anyway . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:21 am »
Sadly I know nothing about this stuff.

Aside from my antivirals I take the following:

Gummi Vitamins,2Xdaily
Gummi Probiotics, 2Xdaily
Gummi Fiber tablets, 2Xdaily

Krill oil, once a day.

I did read that aloe juice can help the gut. I tried some a few years back. Aside from being a really powerful laxative, I did not notice anything amazing about it.

More hydration is ALWAYS a good thing though. The impact on your skin is beyond belief.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline collegedude250

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 12:18:43 am »
Just to be clear, I'm not asking in pure ignorance lol. I asked because I found a few case studies that showed promise and was wondering if there were any others of note or if anyone has tried and found results. I was not intending doing it instead of meds and I intend to ask my physician before doing anything. I do appreciate the tip on selenium, I will certainly look into it. I appreciate most of the comments guys (subtract the latter ones from our now banned friend). Any new info comes us feel free to keep posting.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.