Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:26:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 669
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 669
Total: 670

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: could this be realated to hiv?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Bizkits

could this be realated to hiv?
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:57:38 pm »
I apologize if this is in the wrong topic but I'm not quite sure...

My last vl was 27 and CD4 was 682.o

About a month ago I developed strep throat, which is nothing new to me, I've gotten it twice a year for the last 10 years. This time, I delayed going to the doctor because I was going on vacation and didn't want to fuck that up. (I know...bad move). This time, it landed me in the ER with a severe case of tonsillitis, which I've never had before and I started on a z-pak. After that didnt work, they put me on 10 days of clindycin...its better but not all gone by far, and of course I'm on day 9 of 10. I am going to be out of town for a week for work and I have a follow up with an ENT in 2 weeks. I'm scared to wait that long but I don't know if I should go to an urgent care place because there's no way I can get to my GP by then or wait or what...I know this could be viral or bacterial but its not going away. I just am looking for some advice as to what to do??

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: could this be realated to hiv?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:07:07 am »
I think one should go to doctors and get diagnoses and treatment as a general rule in life. The justification that makes sense not to see doctors is financial difficulty or impossibility.
You seem to put work and life activities as justification not to see doctors but it seems to me they are not incompatible, are they?
You keep saying how you should see a doc and but keep finding ways to delay while dealing with the emotions, disease, and pain that continue from not finding solutions to ailments. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Bizkits

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:49:34 am »
No, I don't have a problem going to the doc at all. I am however going on 15 days of antibiotics which can take a toll on your body, poz or not. And yes, THIS time I didn't go when I should have and it bit me in the ass. So, being as how the to sillitis isn't all cleared up yet, do I run out of antibiotics and wait to see the ENT in 2 weeks or should I go get re-evaluated by a practitioner that's not my own since I won't have the chance to get to mine. Are there more things I should consider given my status, meds I take, as to not cause any more damage?

I see my regular doctors, GP and ID on a regular basis, so its not that I put anything ahead of that. I guess I'm just Leary of throwing another one in the mix for this one time that's not familiar with me, etc...

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:58:24 pm »
If both the ENT and your GP are unable to see you next week, I stick to my advice that you should go see a doctor ASAP. Not wait two weeks.  Because as you say over two weeks on antibiotics seems to be a long time to still be feeling pain.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 03:20:40 pm »
About the title thread. Sorry I can't help you with knowledge on that. You are undetectable and you do have a healthy CD4. On the other hand you are new to treatment and for some people, the body can be working things out the first few months... I was treated pretty quickly, within months of infection, but I got odd aches and pains the first year on haart.

Do you have a ID doc who is treating you or it your GP?  Can't you sort of insist on seeing one of the docs who does know you, rather than waiting 2 weeks.  And if that is not possible, just go see a doc and explain the recent history. Maybe whoever you see can examine your throat or even deeper and either see something of concern, or see nothing for concern and will calm your uneasiness. 

You wouldn't want to end up sick again by the end of this week, waiting 2 weeks to see someone.

Offline Bizkits

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »
Thanks Mecch,

Here's what the deal was: I got a promotion at work and today was supposed to start that position, with my initial training at our HQ out of town (and by that I mean like 70 miles away-commuting). I wasn't going to be able to have the time to make an appointment with either my GP or ID provider; Even though initially my GP is the first one that did see me for the throat thing. I was still worried I wasn't getting better, even after 15 days on antibiotics, so this weekend I went to a walk-in clinic. The nurse practitioner, while very pleasant was rather unhelpful and she said she wasn't sure what I had and that I should go to an urgent care center. So, I did. I saw a MD there who also was very pleasant but she broke it down for me pretty well, she more or less scolded my being bounced around and given 2 antibiotics of the same family, after the first didn't work... She ran every culture in the book...mono, strep, staff, etc...all negative...She ended up giving me a 3rd antibiotic, Ceftin for 12 days and said she'd follow up with me personally this week and to come back and see her anytime if needed and if things go well to just keep ENT appointment on the 26th. She also said I wasn't exactly a "cut-and-dry" case, being as how I was hiv+, had a history of kidney issues (stones) and have already been on antibiotics for 2 weeks, now adding 2 more weeks, which leaves me open to developing even more problems potentially. Not to mention still having the same issue that hasn't been fixed yet and all swabs were negative.

So...after 1.5 days on the new antibiotic, the pain is all but gone, I can feel the swelling going down, there's still a few little spots of ulceration and a white patch or 2 on my throat but it's shrinking...So, cross your fingers, I think it's working. I stopped by my GP's office today on the way back in and turned in the records from this weekend so they'd have them on file and will just keep going with this track. Also had to have my next routine labs drawn, too while I was at it. There aren't any drug-drug interactions with the hiv meds I'm on and the new antibiotic, started a probiotic to prevent any GI issues from all the antibiotics and am staying well hydrated, eating right and for the last few days have caught up on some much needed sleep.

So, please, for the love of god I hope I'm nearing the end of the tunnel cause this has royally SUCKED! Strep-tonsillitis-pharyngitis aye! Well, I always say if I'm gonna do something, do it right. Thanks for the words of advice, much appreciated :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:28:05 pm »
, so this weekend I went to a walk-in clinic. The nurse practitioner, while very pleasant was rather unhelpful and she said she wasn't sure what I had and that I should go to an urgent care center. So, I did. I saw a MD there who also was very pleasant but she broke it down for me pretty well, she more or less scolded my being bounced around and given 2 antibiotics of the same family, after the first didn't work... She ran every culture in the book...mono, strep, staff, etc...all negative...She ended up giving me a 3rd antibiotic, Ceftin for 12 days and said she'd follow up with me personally this week and to come back and see her anytime if needed and if things go well to just keep ENT appointment on the 26th. She also said I wasn't exactly a "cut-and-dry" case, being as how I was hiv+, had a history of kidney issues (stones) and have already been on antibiotics for 2 weeks, now adding 2 more weeks, which leaves me open to developing even more problems potentially. Not to mention still having the same issue that hasn't been fixed yet and all swabs were negative.

So...after 1.5 days on the new antibiotic, the pain is all but gone, I can feel the swelling going down, there's still a few little spots of ulceration and a white patch or 2 on my throat but it's shrinking...

It's great that you are on the mends.  I am very glad you used your weekend to deal with your health!  The nurse-practitioner did not have the expertise so in fact she WAS helpful to suggest you continue on further to an expert. And then, finally, you got a very thorough doctor who did everything right by you. 

So that brings us back to my 1st and general advice going forward.  If you have a health challenge, and you have insurance and/or access to docs that isn't going to bankrupt you - get diagnosis, treatment, and follow up until its resolved.  Its got to be a priority, along with job of course (so important).   

Usually if you keep on knocking on doors, the person you need will answer.  If you keep on squeaking, you get the grease.  Trust your instinct when you think something isn't going well with the health, and then trust the experts to identify and treat. You will sleep better and stay fit to do well in that new promotion. Congrats for that, too!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.