Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: help please  (Read 47618 times)

Offline johno

Re: help please
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2007, 04:58:03 am »
Does anyone know which HIV test is used by UK GUM clinics - I had an accelerated test where the results are given back the next day.

As you can probably tell my 6 weeks test hasn't completely cleared my concern - probably because I can't get the symptoms from the week before out of my mind. i guess I'm still concerned that they were too close to the test.

Thanks, Johno

Offline fred

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2007, 10:15:16 am »
It depends on the Health Authority, but, from my experience, they test your sampe 3 times.
2 * HIV 1+2 Antibody Assays (different manufacturers)
1 * p24 stand alone Assay

The fact that you got your result the next day is irrelevant to it's accuracy.

Most of these Assays take between 1 and 3 hours to run, and they tend to be run in batches, often overnight.

Fred.

Offline johno

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2007, 03:14:50 pm »
Folks,

Sorry to be back posting again. Unfortunately my six week (41 days) negative test hasn't given me much comfort.

My main issue is still thinking about the symptoms I had at the start of week five (34 days) - assuming they were ARS related due to my condom coming off. Starting having them again today - weak, shaky hands and legs, slightly nauseous, warm (no fever) and tingly/itchy skin. Can't see a rash except on my neck (may be shaving).

I've had various responses from different sources regards whether the six week test would have picked up antibodies had these symptoms been due to primary HIV but can't seem to get a definitive answer. Ann said it would likely be positive, THT said it would be and National AIDS Helpline were very aggressive and said nothing would show until 12 weeks period.

Can anyone recommend a source that might help clear this up for me?

I'd really like to get some relief from this constant anxiety.

Thanks Johno.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2007, 03:18:42 pm »
Staying off the internet and you can find the phone numbers to professional mental health clinics, in the phone book.

Offline johno

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:35 pm »
Rapid, I accept that some counselling is probably required at this point.

Can you comment on whether the test would pick up antibodies a week or less after potential symptoms?

Thanks, Johno

Offline johno

« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2007, 06:28:33 am »
Can anybody comment on testing practise in UK sexual health clinics? The private sites market the fact that GUM clinics are not suing the latest technology (DUO) and hence the reason it takes 3 months. My reassurance about a 6 week test being highly indicative may be based on US practise. That being the case would the test would pick up antibodies a week or less after potential symptoms?

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2007, 06:36:47 am »
Johno,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test postive by six weeks no matter what test is used. GUM clinics DO use up to date testing technology. It might not be THE LATEST test kit to come down the pike, but they are accurate nonetheless.

The only difference with the DUO test is the fact that it is an ELISA bundled with a p24 test. (duo = two) The p24 test is only useful in the first three weeks of infection. Those sites are using people's ignorance about testing to make money. 

You didn't have a risk - you are hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline johno

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2007, 06:44:31 am »
Thanks Ann - I suspected you would be pretty current on this topic in the UK.

Would the test normally pick up antibodies a week or less after potential symptoms? When I asked this before you said it "likely" would - again does this depend on the test? What has been confusing me is that some people say antibodies would appear concurrent with symptoms and others say antibodies come 1-2 weeks after. Not sure which to believe.

Thanks once again for your patience with answering - I realise I've come close to a timeout! I'm going to seek counselling since I still have 5 weeks to go before my next test and I'm already struggling.

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2007, 06:49:44 am »
Johno,

Yes, you are very close to a time out!

The illness that sometimes happens is not a direct result of hiv. It is the result of the process the body goes through when making antibodies. Certain chemicals are released by the body which in turn may cause fever and muscular aches - in other words, flu-like symptoms. People who have actually been infected and test a few days after the onset of symptoms will usually test indeterminate, if not full positive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline johno

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2007, 12:30:54 pm »
Folks,

Hope you can answer this for me. Today (52 days after exposure) I've started having a bad cold/flu however I'm really freaked by the fact that I have angular cheilitis! I've read this can be a strong indicator to primary hiv infection. Is this true - can anyone comment please?

Johno

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2007, 12:35:58 pm »
OMG.  You have CHAPPED LIPS and you think that is a symptom of HIV.... PLEASE!

It is NO indicator of HIV.  But please let me tell you what it is.  (since you made me look it up to respond)

Angular cheilitis (also called perlèche, cheilosis or angular stomatitis) is an inflammatory lesion at the labial commissure, or corner of the mouth, and often occurs bilaterally. The condition manifests as deep cracks or splits. In severe cases, the splits can bleed when the mouth is opened and shallow ulcers or a crust may form.

Studies have linked the initial onset with nutritional deficiencies, namely vitamin B (Riboflavin B2 and Cyanocobalamin B12) and iron deficiency anemia, which in turn may be evidence of poor diets or malnutrition (e.g. celiac disease).

And finally let me cure it for you....

For more sever angular cheilitis, depending on the cause, antifungal and antibiotic medication (e.g. topical miconazole oral gel that has dual activity), vitamins supplements, and dentures for a person without teeth can abate the symptoms.

Stop with this stuff... JEEZ.

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2007, 12:36:28 pm »
NO! That is absolutely not an HIV-specific occurence. You are one question closer to a time out.

With your six week negative in hand it's way past time for you to call a halt, John.

You need to work on getting productively busy in your life, no kidding. And obsessing on this issue is not the way to do that. Stop with the what ifs and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline johno

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2007, 01:06:20 pm »
OK - really sorry to wind everyone up.

Just when I think I'm getting some peace something comes along to disturb it.

Thanks for the responses.

Offline johno

« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2007, 05:44:37 pm »
Just wanted to provide an update on my situation.

Even although I had a negative ELISA after 41 days I have suffered the worst anxiety of my life since then due to various sporadic symptoms I was attributing to ARS. Couldn't wait any longer and decided to have 10 week INSTI HIV1/2 rapid test. It was negative!

I still have a GUM clinic appointment at 12 weeks. I'm hoping the concensus is that my result is unlikely to change?

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2007, 04:13:46 am »
johno,

Of course your result isn't likely to change. You didn't have a risk in the first place!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline enm1sg

« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2007, 08:49:17 am »
John ,

Can you remind your latest result and symptom , as I also having same ARS symptom similar to you with diffrent type rashes all over body even after 9 week after exposure but without feaver .

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2007, 08:57:28 am »
enm1sg, do not post in any other threads other than your own. If you have questions or concerns post them in your orginal thread. Please read the posting guidelines found in the "Welcome" thread. 

Offline johno

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2008, 10:46:12 am »
Was last here over a year ago. Original situation was vaginal with CSW and don't remember whether a condom was worn due to being drunk. Had HIV tests at 4, 10 and 12 weeks all negative. Everything was fine until 3 weeks ago when I discovered 2 swollen lymph nodes on my right arm. I've seen the doctor who currently has no explanation for this but wants me now to have a CBC. I have been in good health prior to this

Initially I wasn't worried about HIV given my 12 week test which I thought was definitive however I've noticed some sites are recommending a 6 month test to be absolutely sure. Is this new advice - the sites seemed to be updated fairly recently.

i am also petrified I've put my wife at risk. I was truly ashamed of my behaviour and thought I'd managed to put all this behind me until now.

Are you aware of any revised guidelines and should I test again?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2008, 11:04:22 am »

Nope it has not changed much like your HIV negative status.  You really should seek mental help from a professional.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2008, 12:45:28 pm »
johno,

The six month advice is woefully outdated. The window period is three months and that means you are conclusively hiv negative.

There are hundreds of things that can cause lymph nodes to swell. Keep working with your doctor to find out what is the cause of yours. Whatever it is, it isn't hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2008, 03:19:36 pm »
Ann,

One last question I have related to Autoimmune Diseases - I have rheumatoid arthritis. Could this have delayed seroconversion and led to an innacurate result in my case? I'm asking as I still haven't resolved my lymph node issues despite continuing to visit my doctor. I don't want to have a discussion with him on HIV as it would appear in my medical record. I didn't sleep last night at all and this is really doing my head in.

I know that based on early posts everyone probably thinks I didn't have a risk as I said I was wearing a condom. Unfortunately I can't confirm this with any certainty and my fear is that it was an unprotected encounter thereby posing a risk.

Is it possible that I could be one of the rare cases because of an autoimmune disorder?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2008, 05:08:46 pm »
No it's not possible. What is possible, is that you will get the T.O. that you have been warned about.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2008, 05:11:14 am »
John,

Autoimmune diseases sometimes cause false positive results. They do not extend the window period.

You're hiv negative, end of story. If you can't bring yourself to believe us, why don't you just go test again and collect another negative result? Because that's EXACTLY what you'll get; another negative. You don't have hiv.

Keep posting over this conclusive negative and you'll be given a time out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2008, 03:15:06 pm »
Ann

Thanks for your response. I will cease posting so no need for the T.O.

I saw my GP today and he indicated that I had shotty axillary nodes. Still no suggested cause so he has performed a CBC and some plasma test that I haven't heard of before.

Hope to get to the bottom of this as it's quite disconcerting and may have another HIV test as you suggest to ease my mind.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.