Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:12:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 310
Total: 310

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gaining weight/building muscle mass  (Read 6639 times)

Offline 404error

Gaining weight/building muscle mass
« on: September 23, 2007, 04:16:23 am »
Prior to being diagnosed about a year and a half ago I was about 175lbs.  At 6 feet I feel this is an ideal weight for me.  I lost approximately 20lbs since and haven't been able to get much above 162lbs.  What can I do to put on more weight, preferably muscle mass?  I'm wary of loading up on protein or taking other supplements as I am trying to be mindful of what I put into my body and am worried that everything I feed myself, I am also feeding the virus.  I eat a lot, 4 meals a day I would say.  I've always had a pretty good metabolism but now it's too much.  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what I can do to put on weight while not doing any damage to my body?
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline komnaes

Re: Gaining weight/building muscle mass
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:21:04 am »
I'm wary of loading up on protein or taking other supplements as I am trying to be mindful of what I put into my body and am worried that everything I feed myself, I am also feeding the virus.

As a recently diagnosed I don't have anything to add except I am also interested how to take the right supplement. I am on soy protein supplement that is recommended by most doctors here for weight gain, and I also read somewhere that whey protein has been recommended for HIV. Any inputs?

Thanks, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:50:27 am »
Up,

Your dietary intake is not feeding the virus.

If you want to build up muscle mass, the best way to do that is the old-fashioned way; exercise.

Shaun,

As long as you're eating a balanced diet, you don't have to worry overly-much about supplements. I'm not aware of any great difference between soy and whey protein, other than the fact that whey, being from an animal, will have a few extra amino acids that are not found in plants. Enter "whey vs soy protein" into any search engine and you'll get plenty of results to read through.

Something people need to remember is that the vitamins and minerals etc found in supplements are harder for the body to access than those found naturally in foods. Eating a balanced diet is the best way to get all your daily requirements. Eating a balanced diet also means eating the freshest food you can buy, because heavily processed or preserved foods lose a lot of their vitamin content.

People in developed nations tend to eat far more protein (especially animal protein) than is actually needed to remain healthy. While people living with hiv do need a little more protein than your ordinary person, there's no real need to go over-board.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 404error

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:14:33 pm »
I have been exercising and I do eat a ton of healthy food everyday.  It's just that nothing seems to help me get any bigger.  I've gotten stronger and toned up a bit but haven't been able to put on some real weight. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 02:23:35 pm »
I used EAS brand whey protein shakes daily when I worked out a lot, and yes it put on the weight.  Then again, so did the testosterone shots I was receiving for losing too much weight, so who knows how much you will get out of protein shakes.

I don't see much danger with taking protein shakes myself, but see what your doctor says.  Mine never had an issue with it.

If you have a slim build to begin with it's often a very long process to build up mass -- and without knowing exactly what you do in the gym it's even harder to assess on line.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:24:37 pm »

What kind of exercize are you up to?  Aerobic is no good if you're trying to put on weight.  You're supposed to do heavy resistance training, low reps. 

I know a guy who slugged his way through the 80's HIV+.  He told me he was down to 135 lbs. which I can't even imagine seeing him now.  Once the PI's showed up and his health returned he said to put on weight he'd always eat a big meal about an hour and a half after working out. 

Brian (who has gained 22 lbs. since primary infection  :o)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 05:19:01 am »
I have been exercising and I do eat a ton of healthy food everyday.  It's just that nothing seems to help me get any bigger.  I've gotten stronger and toned up a bit but haven't been able to put on some real weight. 

Up, don't fuss too much. There may come a time in your life when the balance is tipped and you'll stuggle to keep weight off ya strong, trimmed bod.
 ;),
Mike

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 01:38:26 am »
Putting weight on is simple; eat more calories than your body burns.....
This can be difficult if you have a super-fast metabolism, which from what I have read people with HIV and are not on med's need more calories to help fight the infection.

If you are trying to build muscle mass and you have problems keeping weight on then you should be doing minimal amounts of cardio if any, but cardio is still good for your heart/endurance. Cardiovascular exercise generally burns muscle and fat.

Resistance training is the best way to build muscle and burn fat in the long run. You should probably be doing 3-4 sets at 8-10 repetitions but im sure that others would be able to give you more thorough advice on training.

If you want to add protien supplements to your diet then they should just be an addition to your regular diet and not a substitute. Protien shakes are GREAT right after a workout along with a carbohydrate rich food, preferably fast burning sugary carbs (only after a workout though). Whey protien is good for after workouts and Cassein protien (milk protien) which is a slower digested protien is good right before bed since the 8 hours you sleep are catabolic (waste muscle). Eat breakfast first thing in the morning to give your muscles energy so you dont waste muscle.

I wish i could take my own advice because i eat really crappy :-(

-josh
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline 404error

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 01:53:25 am »
Perhaps riding a bike everywhere isn't the best idea then?  I don't have a car and I hate taking the bus, plus cycling is good exercise but it must be what's killing my progress here.  Hmmm... there must be a loophole somwhere, there's a loophole for almost everything...

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 01:59:24 am »
well bike riding isnt as high intensity as running or spinning...if your doing it leisurely its probably not doing your muscles too much harm...but if you want to build muscle your best and only option is going to be lifting weights or doing stuff like pushups,pullups and things like that.

There arent many loopholes when it comes to getting in shape unfortunatly, or i would have found the it  ;D
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline poz1970

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 05:22:58 am »
Pushups and chinups have served me reasonably well for the past few years, when I have the energy to do them, anyway

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Buff4evr

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 12:31:34 am »
Hi,

Before I got PCP, I was 185 lbs and 5'10".  I worked out a lot and used supplements like protein/whey drinks.  I lost 40 lbs with pneumonia and gained 20 lbs back once on meds.  I decided not to get as muscular as I was before.  But I think my weight came back faster because of "muscle memory."  If your body achieved a certain size, it wants to go back there.  So if you are not at the body shape before you were diagnosed, I would advise you to first get to where you were before and take it slow getting beyond that. 

Dave

Offline komnaes

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 01:22:09 am »
If your body achieved a certain size, it wants to go back there.  So if you are not at the body shape before you were diagnosed, I would advise you to first get to where you were before and take it slow getting beyond that. 

In that case I will NEVER get buffed! ;D

I have always been slim and, er, tight and frankly at the age of 38 I have become the "envy" of a lot of male friends (especially straight) who have started to gain weight in an unattractive way no matter what they eat (or so they claim). And I ate what I wanted (well, until my diagnosis) and barely exercised.

Even with the better meds we have no idea what the long term side efforts will affect our body (and they are not going to be good I am sure), and in any case at my age I should really modify my lifestyle according to Homer Simpson's. I have signed up with a PT now and will start next week. I will start asking you for exercise tips Dave!

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Buff4evr

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 04:13:29 pm »
Hi Shaun,

Good luck with the trainer!  I started working with one after my diagnosis and it has helped a lot.  The biggest help was psychological, because I had to trust the trainer to listen to how I feel and tailor the workout to challenge me within reasonable limits. 

Best,
Dave

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.