Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 382
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dating while positive.  (Read 9618 times)

Offline poz40

Dating while positive.
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:51:20 am »
Hello ladies, I am new here. I was diagnosed 5 years ago, since then I have dated 2 men who dissapear immediately I told them about my status.
Last time I went on a  date was 2 years ago, I am lonely and would love to date again an possibly marry , I think life is meant to be shared.
How r u all doing it? Do you think online dating on regular sites like eharmony a good idea?
All the HIV dating sites dont seem to have much active members in my area/
I am scared of the rejection from dates once they find out about my status. I know its their loss and all that......... but it still hurts.
Any advice??

Offline poz40

Re: Dating while positive.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:49:53 am »
Wow ! 38 views and no reply?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:38:14 pm »
Sorry about that Poz40. Some of those 38 views might have been men and they aren't allowed to post in the women's forum. Many of our female members have not been posting lately, probably because of the holidays. You know how much of the preparation usually falls to us women!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Have you tried POZ Personals? I think some people have had success there. There are a few women here who have used internet dating sites, some without much success, but one woman here recently married a guy she met online. She's poz, he's neg, so it is possible.

I didn't answer you myself right off because I'm in such a different position to you that I didn't quite know what to say that might be of any use.

I'm in a relationship with a poz man, in fact he's the man from whom I acquired my virus. We split up a few years before either of us were diagnosed and got back together again three years ago (nearly seven years after diagnosis). During the time we were apart, I was with a negative man - I was with him when I was diagnosed - and he stuck by me. I split up with him and hiv didn't have much to do with it. He stayed hiv negative even though we had a full sex life.

I'm very open about my hiv status in my community. I live on an island in the middle of the Irish Sea and we have a population of only around 70,000, so as you might imagine, everyone in my town pretty much knows each other. Many people know my status and I never get any problems - or very, very rarely. There have been several negative men who want to date me regardless.

Where I live is not some liberal utopia either. Most people here are more on the conservative side but I still have not had any significant problems concerning my hiv status being stigmatised nor have I been openly discriminated against.

I think a lot of that has to do with my own attitude towards my virus. I don't let it rule my life and I'm not ashamed of having it. It's just a virus that anyone who has had unprotected intercourse can get and let's face it, that's most of the adult population of the planet.

I've yet to have a negative man run the other way when I told him that I'm poz. I've even tried to use it to ward off unwanted advances and it didn't work.

So I guess I don't know what to advise you regarding men running when they find out you're poz. All I can say is just be yourself and don't EVER be ashamed of having hiv. It's just a darn virus! One thing I will mention though... I ALWAYS disclose right off the bat. I don't wait until the first or second date or whatever, I tell them right away. This gives me two advantages. One, if they were thinking of asking me out but change their mind because of hiv, they can just not say anything and I'm none the wiser and my feelings don't get hurt. Two, if they're going to be assholes about my status, I'll know before I invest any time or energy in them. If they can't handle people with hiv, they have no place in my life.

Sorry you didn't feel more warmly welcomed, 40. It's probably just the Thanksgiving holiday so please don't take it personally. You might want to check out the "Ladies Threads" that appear throughout the women's forum. It's where many of us post about our daily lives. I have to admit I don't post in those threads myself much, but that's just because I spend so much time on the rest of the site (as an admin/moderator).

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline TabooPrincess

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:41:45 pm »
I truly believe that the right person for us won't have an issue with the virus.  Infact, they'll enhance your life and love and support you through thick and thin.  Those who reject you are perhaps not the kind of person you want to be with anyway so you get to find out early on!

The thought of dating petrifies me though, I know what you mean.  I've only disclosed to one person and that took 2 years and a lot of wine.  The thought of disclosing to a near stranger seems ridiculous.

Let us know how you get on - and keep remembering that everything happens for a reason, wait for that perfect man who will accept you for who you are!
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »
Hey Poz40,

Sorry it's taken me awhile to respond.  I've been diagnosed for 21 years, and have been married to an HIV- man; also had a relationship with an HIV- woman.  They both knew from the start about my status.  I'm very open about it.  I work at an Aids Service Organization, and most of my clients know my status as well.  That way, when I tell them I understand, they can know I really do.

Now, back to the dating.  Ann's given you some good advice.  I don't have anything left to add, as I'm single, and want to stay that way.  I'm too selfish and bitter for a relationship. :)  Anyway, good luck.
Also, check out our ladie's thread,as Ann mentioned.  It's where we chat about anything and everything, and we would sure welcome you!
  L-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 02:49:34 pm »
Hey Poz---

Well, it's definitely not an easy thing at least for me. I have been on the Poz Personal site off and on, now on again. The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of men do not post pics of themselves, I guess due to privacy issues. Honestly, I have heard good and bad about the site but I think that is with any dating site. I had been recently rejected from someone I had met on the site due to the fact that I was not fat enough. Yeah you read it right. I don't look sickly or anything like that, I guess he just like BBW. I fall under the thick category.

And I recently blogged about dating on my blog, just click the purple link below. You will get the opinions of men (gay and straight) as well as from women on how they feel about dating online. I hope it helps, it helped me a great deal. And like you, I try to stay hopeful that there is someone out there for me. Like someone told me once, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs sometimes before you find your Prince. So I invested in chapstick.... :D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

tendai

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 05:24:21 am »
Hi Poz, I also had a few runners after disclosing my status. Then I met this guy.  I had totally decided not to disclose coz i thought it wasnt going to be anything serious.  Anyway he did find out (we went and got tested together - he was neg) and we're still together after more than a year. He's the one who dragged me to the doctor to start meds and makes sure i eat well. He's so totally supportive. So like Queen said, you'll meet some frogs but your prince is out there

Offline franfrog

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 06:28:30 pm »
poz40
Ann I think hit it with alot of those views.  I am sorry I did not respond, I am not on as much lately as I used to be alot of reasons but lately with holidays and being pregnant I am so crazy.
Anyway I really can not offer much advice since I too was diagnosed 5 years ago but at that time I was already married to my husband for like 3 years.  I thought I was going to see fire as he ran out of the hosital room (I was in for a month with PCP which is how I found out) but he stayed.  He stayed even against my telling him to go since he did not deserve to have to deal with this.
Anyway, there are men out there that are very understanding.  I think you should be honest from the start, be patient.  I do not know about any online sites so everyone else can give you that information. 
I do want to wish you luck and again be patient they are out there.
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline missy

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:37:19 pm »
POZ40,

When I came to this site 3 years ago I thought I was finished dating!  Yet everyone supported me and cheered me on.  I had recently lost my husband and thought since I was positive, I was done. On the Poz site I met a wonderful man and we will be getting married at the end of the month.  He has brought such joy and love to my life.  I realized if I hadn’t taken the chance and let him into my life, I would still be alone.  Believe me I met a few frogs along the way but just made up my mind I would wait until I met the right guy,  one that made me happy and would except me for who I am.  So hang in there, you will find someone. ~missy

Offline lawless64

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:44:22 pm »
It's great to hear such encouraging words.  I've known of my positive status for about 4 years, I hadn't dated mcuh before my diagnosis and not at all since.  How do you put your fears of rejection behind you? 

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:59:26 pm »
One foot at a time...

It's hard.  I'm with you at this moment in my life.  Fear of rejection while in a relationship though...

Good luck, there are many "listening" ears here and lots of good advice.  See ya around.

Amanda
http://h1vpos1t1ve.blogspot.com/
amanda j.
Currently 28 weeks pregnant with a little boy...

Offline dulce_angelita

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 02:43:46 pm »
I'm newly diagnosed. I'm 21 years old and I found out October 13th of 2010. I spoke to someone who's been diagnosed 20+ years. She's married now and didn't tell her partner til things got deep between them. They've been married 3 years now. Just like you, I've been on several dates and have been treated unfairly because of my honesty. So I'm gonna take her advice.
 My mom knows my status and has seen me hurt. She told me that when I find a guy who accepts me and loves me for who I am. I get discouraged too but I know that all the guys who have rejected me aren't good for me anyway :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.