Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:36:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 592
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A new pill for me ... pravastatin  (Read 3931 times)

Offline randym431

A new pill for me ... pravastatin
« on: November 06, 2006, 01:50:30 pm »
My labs were still great this period. But my cholesterol is getting up there, slowly. So the doc suggested and started me on pravastatin to lower the cholesterol. Is anyone else on this and have you had any problems taking it? From what I read, its a pretty good drug and has no effect on the hiv meds, like sustiva and epzicom (that I take).
Insurance co pay is only $10 too. Thats a plus. I'm starting on the lowest dosage and see how it goes.

Just off subject, the nurse and I got into a little conversation. I mentioned that I believe everyone should be tested for hiv regardless. Everyone! I felt its better to know and get treatment, than finding out by rushing into the ER with something like PCP, and also "then" finding out your hiv+. That happens way too often. The nurse wasn’t sure how she felt on that. She said way to many hiv+ people can not afford their meds. And many have as high as $500 a month co pays. She felt if testing was to be mandatory, then affordable access to meds should also be included. I agreed with that. But not getting tested and not knowing is not going to help things. You are still at some point going to land in the ER with some awful thing, like pcp. And I also feel a lot of people, that would never suspect they were hiv+ and not in any high risk group, would be better off at least knowing rather than not knowing, thus maybe spreading it. You cant hide from hiv.

So she wasn’t sure where she stood on mandatory testing, which I though was strange since she deals in hiv, as a nurse.
But I was put back in finding they had hiv patients at the clinic there that could not afford their meds. Or their insurance company would not cover some of the types of meds, making it very hard for the doctors to draw out a effective treatment program. I guess I was just in the dark and thought, at least in the USA, everyone that needed the meds could get them one way or another.

Now I know why Tim ( Moffie65 ) was so upset that time when aidsmeds advertised here on their site for people with unused meds to send them in to a program that sent meds to help people in Africa. If I remember right, Tim was saying there were plenty of hiv+ people right here in the USA that needed meds or were not getting affordable access to meds. (Hope I got that right, Tim)
Your (Tim) concern with sending unused meds off to Africa hit home hard after talking to the nurse today.
I guess I should count myself very lucky I can still work and have great insurance. This country really does need some kind of universal health coverage that IS NOT based on ones employer. Especially when so many employers are getting to the point where they do not think they need to be in the insurance business and offer any insurance. Thats the route Walmart is going, and it is just un American. Since this country bases ones coverage on your employer for the majority, a company not wanting to follow that should be banned from doing business in this country. Especially a company as huge as Walmart. (don’t get me started)

ANyway, I really started this to ask about  taking pravastatin. Sorry...
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.