Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:25:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 649
Total: 650

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to change what time i take my Atripla and remembering to take it  (Read 7782 times)

Offline hereinny

I started taking Atripla in the morning.  My schedule is somewhat complicated and think morning would be easier than nights.  If i need to change the time to nights, im not really sure how to do this.  My doctor said i would be better off to move it up 2 hours later each day for for a week rather than taking it 2 hours earlier each day for a week.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Another question?  Since EVERYONE seems to have concerns about how to remember to take their meds, how come there is very little talk on this site (or anywhere else) about the text messaging services the drug companies offer?  This is an awesome way to remember to take your meds.  Unless your prone to forget your phone at home, its pretty foolproof.  I can do this with verizon wireless and i respond to the text message once i take the pill just so that i forget weather or not i took it.  I started doing this with a vitamin pill about 3 months ago when i thought i would be starting meds.  Never missed a pill.

Offline PozBrian

Re: How to change what time i take my Atripla and remembering to take it
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »
I don't have any advice about switching to the morning, but seems like it's possible. Others a have posted that they are taking atripla in the morning, and I think I could be ok taking in it in the morning too, but I'm going to stick to taking it at night.

I have come up with several ways to remember to take my pills. Easiest thing is to add a daily alarm on a cell phone. I have one at 7 am for a vitamin and INH, and one at 10 pm for my atripla.  I also take uroxatrol for BPH at dinner. No alarm for that one as missing a dose isn't critical like it would be for INH or atripla.

When I go away for a long weekend, like I am for the 4th, I have a pill box to carry around my little friends. I also just recently go at pill box that is also a key ring. The pill box is nice because and empty container means the pills have been swallowed. Or fell out.   :P

The one that I have started doing that may be of the most help to you is I turn the pill bottle over after I've taken them for the day.  I set them all right side up when I take the atripla, all set for the next day. You could alternate upside down one day to mean they were taken, then right side up the next day. I'd get confused whether it was an up day or a down day so I don't do that. If you have a complicated morning routine a quick look at the bottles to see if they are right side up or not might be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. Of course you still have to remember to check the bottles (hence the cell phone alarm). I keep them on the kitchen counter.

Brian
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 07:29:12 pm »
just switch till the morning then. you should have plenty of Sustiva in your system that 8 hours will be nothing. just moved it up 8 or so hours from when you took it at night.
be careful the first few days of the switch because you won't be used too being awake when you take it the side effects might be more noticeable.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:29:55 pm »
My doctor said i would be better off to move it up 2 hours later each day for for a week rather than taking it 2 hours earlier each day for a week.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd just switch one day. The drugs in Atripla stay in your body for such a long time a one-off lateness won't matter.

I remind myself by setting an alarm on my phone.

- matt

( ;) beaten to it by mr A)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline hereinny

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 07:44:42 pm »
It seems i gave the impression that i am going to switch to taking the atripla in the morning.  That is wrong.  I am already taking it in the morning and thinking of taking it at night instead.  Its only been one day so i guess i will have to see how it all goes.

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:12:01 pm »
so when you wake up the next morning skip that dose and then take it before you go to bed that night. it's that easy.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline hereinny

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:45 pm »
sounds pretty easy,  i have a habbit of complicating things.  not sure i can do it the easy way.  lol
actually i just wasnt sure if it was really safe to do that.  My doctor just said to take it later, not earlier to make the switch so that i dont drive the levels too high in my system. 

Offline positivmat

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:49:02 pm »
I switched from night to morning and back to night. The drunk feeling was not going to let me get much done at work - but it sure made some people easier to deal with. When I switched my dr was not to concerned with how I switched. But when asked said that I might want to do it in 3-4 hour increments earlier each day. Then I went later each day to get back. I did 2 hour intervals though. Now I consistently take it between 9:30 and 11pm I set my blackberry alarm.

I have to say now my body seems to have fully adjusted to the side effects with no problems after 4 months.

Good luck with the results. I will have my new #'s next week. My first month got it down to under 3k from 800k so it was great. And I could actually feel better than I did before.

Offline Luke

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 02:39:36 am »
Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd just switch one day. The drugs in Atripla stay in your body for such a long time a one-off lateness won't matter.

Ditto.

If you had been on Atripla a bit longer, I'd have said just double up and take both your morning and evening dose, as I did - but given that you are at the sharp end of acclimatising yourself, the potential for disturbing side-effects from that are far too great; so just forget the morning dose and slip straight into the first evening dose after that.

There is also the fact that if you are thinking of doing it any time in the next few weeks, your viral load is going to be far too high for it to make any difference if you have that extra time between doses on a swap. It is probably going to take you three or four weeks to get to undetectable, so there are no real additional resistance issues right now.

All this business about doing it in stages just complicates matters too much and for no better reason the needlessly extreme caution.

I remind myself by setting an alarm on my phone.

Likewise. If a text message will remind you, then a recurring daily reminder set on your phone will work just as well. I just delete the reminder each day when I take my meds - that way, if I can't remember whether I have taken them, I can just check the phone to see if it has been deleted.

It will probably be worth your while investing in one of those pill boxes with a compartment for every day of the week. That'll give you another quick and easy visual reminder as to whether or not you remembered to take your meds.

Half the problem is that it can become so routine that you don't even think about it and then end up doubting whether you have taken your meds. It is generally the case that you are less likely to need the reminders and the checks if you have them in place - and that if you try to get by without them, you will find yourself constantly questioning yourself.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:46:08 am by Luke »

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:37:02 pm »
Alarm clock and pill box for me.  I'd never get that evening dose on time without the alarm.
It's a complex world

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.