Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 368
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 25214 times)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »
Irene will soon be a memory and we can only hope that a similar experience for those up in the northeast will be a LONG time coming.  All is calm down this way now... we do have clouds still but nothing noteworthy to speak of weatherwise this evening.

Heading out to have a bit of fun... you folks stay 'high n dry'!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 06:24:26 pm »
*Sigh*

*sigh* what, bitch?

Oh right -- it's 106℉ in that hell hole you call home, and will be 109℉ tomorrow!  PLUS ZERO RAIN.

THIS MAKES ME LAUGH.

Why don't you move up here with Miss P? I can take you out for soft tacos at Taqueria El Jarocho that I had for lunch, with Jarritos Tamarind soda -- I'm going to have to start stocking up on that tasty drink -- and it's made with sugar cane, not high fructose corn syrup.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:32:26 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2011, 06:42:10 pm »
*sigh* what, bitch?

I had for lunch, with Jarritos Tamarind soda -- I'm going to have to start stocking up on that tasty drink -- and it's made with sugar cane, not high fructose corn syrup.

Try the Jarritos Guava, its delish. Also the cola is pretty yummy.Btw, we have Mexican Coca Cola and Mexican Pepsi here, made with Cane sugar and served in those old thick glass bottles. So whatever.

-Guillermo
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2011, 07:13:03 pm »
I am so ready to be rid of this bitch Irene..........  wind is blowing at it's worst yet right now.  I've just come in from my 3rd trip out to backwash water out of the pool and empty the skimmer basket.  A gust hit that almost blew me on my ass -- and anyone who's met me knows I am of a sturdy stock.

I hear it's supposed to be sunny and 91 tomorrow afternoon -- it will allow me to go try and fix the giant jasmine bushes that were growing up the trellis that is now flat on the ground. 

Hope everyone north of me makes it through unscathed.

M

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »
Wow, Ms. P. is really getting a huge, uh, amount of rain.

Observation.

Here is Ms. P.'s original post (note red highlight I added):

Also, it's REALLY raining hard here right now with 25 mph winds. Cape May, NJ is twice as bad and Tom's River, NJ will get up to 70 mph winds overnight. Some places are due to get 20" of rain out of this, but I don't think Philly will because we're 60 miles from the ocean -- we'll probably get 12" though we've already gotten 15" so far this month which is our all-time record. There will be massive amounts of flooding in the Northeast.

Here is Willy's post quoting Ms. P. (note red highlight I added):

Quote from: Miss Philicia on Today at 05:39:23 PM
Also, it's REALLY raining hard here right now with 25 mph winds. Cape May, NJ is twice as bad and Tom's River, NJ will get up to 70 mph winds overnight. Some places are due to get 20" of rain out of this, but I don't think Philly will because we're 60 miles from the ocean -- we'll probably get 12" though we've already gotten 14" so far this month which is our all-time record. There will be massive amounts of flooding in the Northeast.

if it starts flooding, take a pic out your window. Especially if that hot Italian is walking by again.

-WIll

Question:

Do the units of measure shift as the Hurricane winds whip across the mainland?

:D ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:31:13 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2011, 07:53:57 pm »
Mayor Nutter has just declared the first state of emergency here since 1986.

My neighborhood doesn't really flood, even though it's sandwiched directly between two rivers, but they're both 20 blocks east and maybe the other is 30 blocks west. If anything floods it will be the Schuylkill River up in Manayunk.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20110827_Worst_river_flooding_expected_after_storm_passes.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 08:19:14 pm »
Damn if those pork tacos didn't give me the worst gas in the world :(

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »
Damn if those pork tacos didn't give me the worst gas in the world :(

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »
Everyone - Please keep Tim Horn in your thoughts. He lives on the Jersey shore and it looks like they're really in for it tonight/tomorrow morning. I hope he and his husband stay safe and their home remains undamaged. I've been worried about him all evening.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2011, 09:43:14 pm »
Yes, Tim and all you others up there. Stay safe. Looks like its gonna be a long night. Keeping all you in my thoughts (even you P)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 09:55:05 pm »
Everyone - Please keep Tim Horn in your thoughts. He lives on the Jersey shore and it looks like they're really in for it tonight/tomorrow morning. I hope he and his husband stay safe and their home remains undamaged. I've been worried about him all evening.

weather.com shows that where Tim lives will go up to 57mph winds at 8 AM EST -- I'm 60 miles from the coast and I have 31 mph gusting to 38 right now, and it's really howling -- that 57 mph is just sustained winds and I'm sure they'll gust to 80 mph easily. I hope if he's right on the beach he boarded up all of his windows.

You can watch the progress here for him: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.21925706672191&lon=-74.0097427368164&site=phi&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

It's really bad outside right now.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:00:18 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jody

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 10:13:48 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Ann, I will certainly keep Tim and his hubby in my thoughts, we can't have anything happen to our wonderful Tim...Knowing New Jersey a bit, I anticipate Tim probably left his community unless you know he is remaining behind.  I hope also that his home will come out of this OK...Go safe Timmeister!

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »
I've been following #njirene and #philly on twitter. Some in Philly are saying the rain is horizontal. We get that kind of wind and rain several times here each winter, but we don't seem to get the damage - particularly power outages - that is going on over there. Most of our electric cables are underground, so I suppose that helps because trees can't fall on them.

I hope all our east coast members are staying safe inside, and I hope none of you lose power.

Thanks for the reminder Ann, I will certainly keep Tim and his hubby in my thoughts, we can't have anything happen to our wonderful Tim...Knowing New Jersey a bit, I anticipate Tim probably left his community unless you know he is remaining behind.  I hope also that his home will come out of this OK...Go safe Timmeister!

Jody

I'm not sure if he stayed or not. He was battening down the hatches yesterday with no mention of evacuation, but I don't know if their plans changed as the forecasts progressed. He is rather close to the shore, so I hope he's safe!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2011, 10:31:09 pm »
Great -- now the TV just put up an Emergency Alert for tornadoes in Philadelphia until 10:53 PM

http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/sir/pa_/radar.asp?play=true

edit: now effective until 11:06 PM

In addition to heavy rain, high winds and flooding, Hurricane Irene's frontal assaults also include tornadoes - and warnings all over, including in Philadelphia.
Two twisters were spotted touching down, one near Vineland, another near Lewes, Del.

Tornado warnings were popping up all evening. For east-central Chester County, northeastern Delaware County, southeastern Montgomery County, and the central part of Philadelphia till 11 p.m. For southern Burlington County and central Ocean County till 10:45 p.m. For New Castle County, Del., till 10:15. For Gloucester County till 10. For southeastern Atlantic County till 9:15.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:48:06 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2011, 10:35:49 pm »
Great -- now the TV just put up an Emergency Alert for tornadoes in Philadelphia until 10:53 PM

http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/sir/pa_/radar.asp?play=true

yeah, yall are getting spanked according to radar
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »

Offline Since2005

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »
I think its going to hit NYC around 2 am Sunday Morning! NYC mass transit got shutdown and total city looks like a ghost town. Hope,Tim, and everyone else under Hurricane watch stay safe!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:45:54 pm by Since2005 »

Offline Jody

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2011, 11:51:31 pm »
The worst of the hurricane is going to be here around 7AM Sunday morning and wouldn't you know that coincides with high tides and there is a new moon as well already!  The track is expected to go west of the city now so that will setup 5 to 10 foot walls of water rolling in on Battery Park in lower Manhattan.  I live on some of the highest ground in Queens, NY, for that I am lucky.

A perfect storm.

Jody
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:54:22 pm by Jody »

Grateful Dead

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2011, 12:41:52 am »
PICTARS (from when the hurricane first started around 8 PM or so)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/legendarybehavior/

current stats:  Wind Speed: NE 20 Gusts 30 MPH with light rain

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35:08 am »
Hope everyone is safe ,take care everyone
love
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2011, 06:27:08 am »
Thus far Philadelphia has gotten 5.5 inches (and it's still raining and predicted not to finish until around noon), and the Schuylkill River hasn't been this high in over 100 years. (According to the Weather Channel) For those unfamiliar with this river, it's the one that runs by the large museum that Rocky used for run up and down the steps. If it floods I'll have to go over and take some pictars.

source

Oh, and our August total for rain in Philadelphia is 19.22" -- an all time record and the most in the Northeast.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:32:25 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2011, 06:40:04 am »
I saw on the news that Montgomery County PA is having issues too.  All of that rain that is falling northwest of Phila is going to have to drain into the Delaware Bay and my hunch is that the Schuylkill and other smaller rivers will overflow their banks in the days to come.  Would West River Drive be affected by this? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 09:17:06 am »
A facebook update from Tim (from about an hour ago)..... Everyone's fine (but without power going on eight hours now) and this looks to be the worst of it.

So that's a relief!

Storm currently hitting NYC and aside from power outages and flooding, there doesn't seem to be any extensive property damage. Hope it stays that way. Sad to hear about any and all of the Irene-associated deaths and I hope the toll does not rise.

I hope all our east coast members weather the storm relatively (ideally, completely) unscathed. Stay safe and check in with us now and again, electricity availability permitting of course. Thinking of you all....

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 10:43:05 am »
Sid and I made it through relatively unscathed.  Our jasmine covered arbor came down, so we have to go figure out how best to salvage it -- the plants were absolutely gorgeous this past spring, so hopefully we can save some of them.  The wind blew open our gate and it, apparently, kept banging into the bumper of my car -- oh well, bumpers are supposed to have dents and scrapes, right?  Front yard is littered with tree branches, but the trees stayed upright (despite 70+ mph gusts in Richmond).

So..........  off to start the clean up. 

Hope everyone else makes it through safely too.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2011, 11:05:54 am »
Glad to hear you're both ok, Mike. If your jasmine is anything like mine, it should bounce back no problem.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wolfter

« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2011, 11:13:02 am »
Certainly grateful that it hasn't been worse.  I've been fortunate enough to receive sms updates from friends and family. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »
Speaking of where Tim Horn lives:

Offline Jody

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »
Everything seems better than expected by me here in Queens, NYC.  Thanks for asking and hope all of our other Easterners are doing well.

Jody

Grateful Dead

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:17 pm »
Hope all are Safe.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Jody

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2011, 06:59:12 pm »
I hope Miss Philly is fine, I saw on the World News the Schuylkill River (had to Google for spelling) was right up in the streets, lots of water issues in the City of Brotherly Love, here I'm thinking it has something to do with those nasty sports fans ;).

Anyway go safely Philly and others.

Jody

Grateful Dead

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2011, 09:51:41 pm »
Hi Gang...

Thanks for the words of concern. We're still without power and continue to take in a lot of water, mostly from the swollen lakes flanking Asbury Park to the north and south, compounded by the effects of the rising tides on ground water levels. 

Other than that, we're fine -- animals included -- and I'm glad to know everyone else on the East Coast made it through a-okay. 

Have some great photos and video to post -- will do so when I'm back on a computer. Hope to be back at work and online Tuesday.

Tim

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:33 pm »
Great to hear from ya Tim, glad you and family are ok. Cant wait to see those pics.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2011, 09:00:22 am »
I also can't wait to see your photos, Tim. You really take some fantastic photos, so I bet you've got some stunning shots. Take care and stay dry!

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.