Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:49:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 551
Total: 552

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: For all you Cat lovers....  (Read 5060 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
For all you Cat lovers....
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:51:48 am »
How to administer  meds to a cat.

Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process. Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw away soggy pill.

Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut to a count of 10.

Call spouse from garden. Kneel on floor with cat firmly wedged between knees,  Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat’s head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat’s throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for glueing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with it’s head just visible from below spouses armpit. Put pill in the end of a drinking straw, force cats mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply plaster to spouses forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbour’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on it’s hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus injection. Throw torn T-shirt away and get new one from bedroom.

Tie cat’s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat’s mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of Cod. Hold head vertically and pour pint of milk down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to Casualty department at local Hospital. Sit quietly while Doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from eyes. Stop by Furniture shop on way home to order a new table.

Arrange for Vet to make a house call !!.

While you are waiting for the vet to call, I'm off to bed..good night and good luck... ;D

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Florida69

Re: For all you Cat lovers....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:47 am »
that is so very true.  I have found that a spoon full of tuna will help the medicine go down.  LOL
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:07:12 pm »
That's hilarious, Jan.  I could definitely see my cat doing those things, should I ever need to give her pills.  Thanks for the laugh. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:16:52 pm »
I must have the only cat who is good about taking meds. Then again, he likes to bathe, too.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:08:40 pm »
How to administer meds to a cat.

Obtain pill popper from Vet, which is a long slender tube, with a plunger inside, that holds the pill at the end of the tube.  Sneak up on cat, pry open side of mouth, insert pill popper, push plunger and rub throat so cat swallows pill.  I've been using one for years and have yet to meet a cat I can't medicate.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:04:21 pm »
 :D   :D   :D

That is soo funny!
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline poz1970

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 03:32:29 pm »
rofl

There needs to be a video with this!

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:24:26 pm »
I've never had a cat as an adult but I have heard some funny/horror stories about giving meds to them.

I do however have a young goat called "JODY" to seems to know when I try to sneak a pill into him, he walks up to me puts his head down and pins me up against the barn wall or the gate so I can't get to his mouth..he's a canny wee thing, the others are fine and don't mind at all.. :D.., the Alpacs get injections..and kooni will eat anything that goes into her mouth.. :D

Hugs

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 08:18:52 pm »
I hope my MaryJane never needs meds!
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:20:51 pm »
Jan, I just treated my 6-year old cat's ears for a yeast infection.  To catch her is a feat in itself.  You'd think I was catching her to take her to her execution.  And those eyes......she looks so despondent.  Cats do have personalities, and they show it, truly.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:21:04 pm »
I hope my MaryJane never needs meds!

God help you when she does... :D

Hugs
Jan

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:24:57 pm »
To catch her is a feat in itself.  .

Maybe between us we could come up with some kind of "Cat Net".. ;).

They know when something is about to go down...and they certainly know how to get the sympathy vote and make you feel bad don't they.. :D

Hugs

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 08:32:53 pm »
Very funny, Jan :)  I have one cat (Lola) who has made us go through [virtually] that ordeal more than once.  Lord, is she bitchy and aggressive sometimes.  When you take her to the vet however she acts like the sweetest angel.  

The other one (Becks) thinks that she is a dog and actually asks for medication when she sees me giving it to the wicked one (she also asks to be brushed, loves to have her nails clipped, and simply lacks all sense of a feline personality).

And some dogs can be a mission as well.  One of ours is quite difficult when it comes to feeding her.  You gotta love these furry creatures though.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 08:36:24 pm »
That's absolutely hillarious! Thanks for the laugh!!!

-Will (still laughing)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Basquo

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 08:46:49 pm »
My dear Sasha required a daily pill and injection for the last 5 months she stayed with me.  By that time she was obsessed by water so I would pop that pill down her throat with my finger the minute I got home, caress her throat then open up the tap on the bathtub so she would stick her head under under it and wash the pill down. Then I would prepare her canned food and give her the shot as she was eating. No problems! 

Very different from  the other times (and cats) when my father would presribe worming pills. That was usually a lot like Jan's original post!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 01:32:34 am »
I loved it, Jan. Though Killfoile way was funny as hell to me too. When I had cats, I nevr had to give them medicine for anything so I never had to go through that. But my cat use to growl when I gave him a bath but he was getting baths since he was a kitten.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.