Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 10:24:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 111
Total: 112

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What's your favorite and least favorite HAART brand name?  (Read 7634 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
What's your favorite and least favorite HAART brand name?
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:49:51 pm »
Yeah its a silly little question. I'm thankful for any drug that works!

I've been a Tibotec customer for over a year now.  First there was "Intelence" and now I'm taking "Prezista".

I get a kick out of both names. Intelence cause its an intelligent drug? Reminds me of vigilance also - like its thorough and strong or something like that.  Prezista sounds like prestige and precise - a top drawer drug that is very precise?   ;D  ;D

Truvada - its true. Old faithful?  

Norvir - don't care for the name or the drug.  Very medicinal and nasty sounding.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:11:58 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

Re: What's your favorite and least favorite HAART brand name?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:04:20 pm »

Viramune = Virus Immunity

Obviously a lie!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »
Norvir - don't care for the name or the drug.  Very medicinal and nasty sounding.
nasty tasting too. try it in liquid form sometimes.  :P

reyataz doesn't seem to sound or look like any sort of cool moniker
(but it works!)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 02:25:16 pm »
Rayataz - kinda JAZZY.  Raya - rayon comes to mind. The hawaiian shirt version of HAART.
Ray - gamma rays. Space age. Ratatatat. Tap dancing. Show biz. zzzzzzz Liza with a Z.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:27:56 pm »
The hawaiian shirt version of HAART.
ROFL that gets my vote! :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:34 pm »
I've always thought that a-TRIP-la sounded pretty appropriate seeing as how when I took Sustiva I stayed "doped up" all the time
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:41:42 pm »
Yeah it was so freaking trippy for me too.  A trip la (la as in french for "there"). A trip there.
Its also sunny sounding and reminds me also of the trifecta. Does that mean success? Or betting on a long shot??  ::)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:43:55 pm »
"a la trip" is definitely not as good as "a la mode"
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 06:54:41 pm »

Although I was only on it briefly,  Zerit,  sounded like something you put on pimples.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:05 pm »
Emtricitabine.  I think that's how you spell it.  It sounds like a magical word to invoke a spell a la Harry Potter.

"Emtricitabine!" and all the aids goes away.

Offline elf

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 07:38:30 am »
Emtricitabine sounds like an insecticide.  :-\
I like Epivir.  ;D

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51:36 am »
Emtricitabine sounds like an insecticide.  :-\

Yeah mosquito spray, or sunburn spray or anti-itch creme.  Something that prevents or soothe stings.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 08:56:36 am »

reyataz doesn't seem to sound or look like any sort of cool moniker

A former forum member used to call this stuff Razamataz. I refer to it as that when I'm talking to my doctor because it makes him laugh. He, like most doctors in the UK, insists on calling it by its generic name atazanavir, which sounds like a mountain in some South American country. Mount Atazana.

I've had a job over the years trying to remember both the generic and brand names of the meds, because as I said, doctors in the UK normally refer to them by their generic names, but here in the forum most people use their brand names. I remember the brand names easier because I see them all the time. It can get pretty confusing when talking to my doc.

I'm holding out for elvitegravir (no brand name yet) and that sounds like some sort of elite vitamin with gravitas.

One of my favourite nick-names I've heard here in the UK is eff-a-fucking-virens - aka efavirenz, aka Sustiva.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline veritas

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:04:30 am »

favorite---- ISENTRESS, sounds like an Egyption goddess and a true godsend.

least   ----- ZERIT, the worst drug in the arsenal. It does a body damage!

v

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 11:25:50 am »
favorite---- ISENTRESS, sounds like an Egyption goddess and a true godsend.

least   ----- ZERIT, the worst drug in the arsenal. It does a body damage!

v

Isentress is a great name.

Zerit is a terrible drug - however, what about the name. Play the game. Does the name zerit suck?  Zerit, merit. 

Zerit - Zyklon?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 03:05:02 pm »
I've had a job over the years trying to remember both the generic and brand names of the meds, because as I said, doctors in the UK normally refer to them by their generic names, but here in the forum most people use their brand names.
all my docs, when talking to me, have used generic names too.

I love how usually the first few questions in the appointment are concerning the meds I'm taking. you know. the 20 questions game they play to see if you know what you're taking and what times you're taking them.

If you can't answer the question about what and when, then it must mean that you're not adherent. :o

If you answer (or if the doc has to consult your records to tell you) then he gets refreshed on what regimen you're on without having to spend a moment reviewing your care before coming in to consult with you. :P

I love rattling off the brand names and watching their puzzled look. ??? So as the doc finally looks at my records, I start listing them by generic names and the doc usually finishes out the list.

but really, does anybody actually bring home a bottle of zidovudine, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, stavudine, or atazanavir?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 03:21:26 pm »

but really, does anybody actually bring home a bottle of zidovudine, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, stavudine, or atazanavir?

We're only going to start seeing bottles with the generic name being prominent when they go off patent.

I guess I always assumed that even the doctors in the States used the brand names, because people who post from elsewhere (especially the UK, except in cases like Truvada or Atripla when it's more than one drug in the bottle) do seem to use the generic names rather than the brand. Most Yanks only seem to use the brand names.

Anyone else find it annoying that all (approved and on the market) hiv meds have at least  two names, and some have three? Talk about confuzzaling!

I've learned to make sure that I know both the brand and generic names of any meds in a combo I want to discuss with the Wizard. Otherwise, he can never remember the brand and I can never remember the generic and it becomes a comedy of errors.

At least with the Wiz it does - we both have a sense of humour. When I've had that problem with some of the registrars I've seen, they always start acting like I'm stupid and don't know what the hell I'm talking about. The Wiz knows better. :D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 05:40:34 pm »
I love how usually the first few questions in the appointment are concerning the meds I'm taking. you know. the 20 questions game they play to see if you know what you're taking and what times you're taking them.
It doesnt go like that at all with my doc.  He does keep to his time schedule, and there are no tricky questions about timing and adherence. The only time he ever asked if I was adherent was when I had a blip. And the first rdv after I started. There's only three drugs, after all, in my case. And he's been pretty firm that timing isnt a big deal - just get them in me everyday. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 05:43:10 pm »
Maybe when they go off patent the other manufacturer's will make up names that are like the brand name, anyway. Like generic drugs in the American drugstore, or Indian copies now.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 07:17:30 pm »
I think I've said it enough on these forums to remember mine...

Atripla = Sustiva (Efavirenz) and Truvada which is Viread and Something else (Emtracitabine + Tenofivir).
Zithromax = Azithromycin
Mepron = I can't remember but I recognize the name when I see it.

I'm also slowly gaining familiarity with the other meds as you guys talk about them.  I remember Matty talking about going on Darunivir and it being a shitty mess so I assumed it was Kaletra?

Who knows, but yes the brand news are generally what I refer to everything as.

PS: looked up the other component of Truvada...emtriva, but no one ever talks about Emtriva.

Edit: shortly after posting I remembered Mepron is Atovaquone suspension

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 07:52:52 pm »
Kivexa and Kaletra - the modern versions of Scylla and Charybdis, horrors of the sea who eat young sailors alive.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 09:25:10 pm »
Videx- chewing thru hell one horse pill at a time.

I have to agree about the tripping on atripla.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »
Videx- chewing thru hell one horse pill at a time.
mmm, crunchy with chalky goodness  ;D

i started out powderizing those with a mortar and pestle; but eventually just switched to chewing them up. Dosed at two at a time, they were nearly a meal all in themselves

the VIDEX laserlite pro

only $795 with a 1 yr warranty
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline veritas

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 05:13:58 am »

mecch,

Zerit - Zyklon?

Good analogy-------- only it doesn't kill as quickly, it kills you by the inch!

v

Offline fearless

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 07:37:26 am »
Efiviranz (sustiva) goes by the name of Stocrin in Australia - I always think it sounds like strychnine
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 08:10:25 am »
Maybe we could get some funds from big pharma for brainstorming their brand names.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 03:41:09 am »
Although it's not actually the brand name... I like Ziagen.  I'm just waiting for some Hollywood movie star couple to christen their first born daughter, Ziagen.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:42:44 am by MitchMiller »

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 09:07:07 am »
SUSTIVA sounds almost like someone with a Swedish accent making an indecent proposal (imagine the request in a throaty intro with a high pitched inflection at the end) -  "Suck Steve, ya?"

VIRACEPT reminds me of a military command from the head officer: "Remember, at 06:00 we will viracept the enemy war planes and shoot them down!"

Yeah, I know, there is a theme here. I am still a little trippy this morning from my low dose of Sustiva last night. :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:14:05 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mecch

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 09:14:28 am »
 ;D  good entries!  :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.