Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:53:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 236
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bye toenail.  (Read 5627 times)

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
Bye toenail.
« on: February 24, 2008, 04:29:45 pm »
So I guess this is really gross but I've had fungus in the nails of my feet for years and it has gotten worse.  2 weeks ago I had the ingrown section of the big toe taken out.  I couldn't dance for a week.  Made my depression worse for sure.  Then I start meds and I'm waay too exhausted to go to class and was in bed all day Thursday of last week.  (It was weird but I heard from the forums these days happen I guess--it seemed med related to me.)

I can't go on the meds for the fungus until my bod gets used to the Viramune.

So within 2 weeks it's starting to throb again and I'm seriously considering having the nail removed permanently.  I'm not excited about missing yet another week of school this semester when I'm graduating! and getting shots in your big toe HURT BADLY.  I screamed.  I never scream.

As far as the meds go....no side effects after I doubled the viramune dose. Just fatigue...but i think it's depression/stress based now as opposed in the beginning where I could tell it was from the meds.  Fatigue is such a mind f$%*.   Sometimes I feel I'll never be able to dance again cuz I get worn out so easily.  I'm almost at the 4 week point on meds and gonna get my first labs soon.  I'm excited.
I'm feeling better everyday though and I can tell the depression is on it's way out. :)   But damn. Why does all the drama happen at once?

And I'm thinking since I'm a modern dancer and dance barefoot people will stare at my missing toenail and get grossed out. But honestly do people look at other people's feet?  *Sigh* I hope I will make it through semester.  I feel like I've been in college my whole life....just want it to be over.
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline sharkdiver

Re: Bye toenail.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:44:02 pm »
Hey another fellow modern dancer/choreographer here.

You are a dancer , you are supposed to have ugly feet, especially if ya have danced modern like me.  just kidding...sorta

I totally understand your predicament; I have had ingrown toenails and have had the little but painful (understatement) procedure to remove them many times.  I've also had fungal issues as well especially when my immune system has tanked a bit. When I was in a prof company for 8 years, still had to dance (the show must go on and all that crap).  The prob I had with the fungus issue is that my doc has never been keen on putting me on the antifungals because it's so damaging to the liver. 
I had the doctor kill my nail root, but it keeps growing back and yes it looks weird. I doubt I could ever date someone with a foot fetish lol

You'll make it though, I'm sure of it. Just think, soon you will be graduating. Keep that in mind.
I'm cheering for you!

Sharkie
(who has pretty much been in school his whole life, and in some way enjoys it)

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:39:41 am »
That fungus is a bitch.  Looking back I now realize that was one of the first signs of my broken immune system.  I'm with Kaiser and they won't approve the pills to cure it because it's so expensive, like $500.00.  So I'm forever stuck with an ugly toe.  And the thing is, it's spreading to my other toes now. 

I see you've only been on your meds a few weeks.  It takes awhile to adjust.  The fatigue is a bitch and I do so hope you get over it soon.  You gotta dance. I know the feeling.

Wish I had more concrete advice. 

robt

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:14:46 am »
That fungus is a bitch.  Looking back I now realize that was one of the first signs of my broken immune system.  I'm with Kaiser and they won't approve the pills to cure it because it's so expensive, like $500.00.  So I'm forever stuck with an ugly toe.  And the thing is, it's spreading to my other toes now. 

I see you've only been on your meds a few weeks.  It takes awhile to adjust.  The fatigue is a bitch and I do so hope you get over it soon.  You gotta dance. I know the feeling.

Wish I had more concrete advice. 

robt
Lamisil just went generic btw.  I got this 10 years ago. It went away with pills then came back.  Yeah I was knocked out today from the viramune with a slightly swollen face (barely noticeable) and a rash on my arm (barely noticeable). Going to the ER if it gets worse  tonight...or that's what the nurse said I should do.  I'm just going to try to go ahead and get it permanently removed this week.  I can't sleep cuz it throbs.
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:17:45 am »
Hey another fellow modern dancer/choreographer here.

You are a dancer , you are supposed to have ugly feet, especially if ya have danced modern like me.  just kidding...sorta

I totally understand your predicament; I have had ingrown toenails and have had the little but painful (understatement) procedure to remove them many times.  I've also had fungal issues as well especially when my immune system has tanked a bit. When I was in a prof company for 8 years, still had to dance (the show must go on and all that crap).  The prob I had with the fungus issue is that my doc has never been keen on putting me on the antifungals because it's so damaging to the liver. 
I had the doctor kill my nail root, but it keeps growing back and yes it looks weird. I doubt I could ever date someone with a foot fetish lol

You'll make it though, I'm sure of it. Just think, soon you will be graduating. Keep that in mind.
I'm cheering for you!

Sharkie
(who has pretty much been in school his whole life, and in some way enjoys it)
Thanks for the kind words.  I guess my nail is growing sideways that's why it's hurting I think. And I can't believe how fast my nail is growing...the shit was just taken out!  I wonder if elevating it when I sleep takes the throbbing away.  The uninsured thing sucks too cuz I'll have to pay for this procedure out of pocket. wow welcome to 2008.
March 11     756

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 01:30:14 am »
I'm having sympathy pains as I read this.....arghh

definitely soak your foot if you can and put cotton under the nail.  I know it sounds gross and it stings like a mutha but...take care of it.

You know what might help (and I mean might) is oregano oil when it has healed. It appeared to have helped my nails grow back a bit more "normal"
 when you can afford it, you might also get a pedicure.

I am so sorry you are going through this, big time.

Sharkie

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:04:43 am »
Hi Shadow,

I've had a lot of success with Tea Tree oil for treating nail fungus. For me it worked as well as the Lamisil - only it takes persistance. (It's not hard on your liver like Lamisil - a bonus) Just put a drop on/under each infected nail at least once a day. You can also put a couple drops in a foot-bath. You should start seeing results as your nail grows out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline randym431

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 05:21:32 am »
Nail issues were the first signs I experienced, also.
And like a year and half before I was tested or even knew I was pos.
I had always had great perfect nails, and when I seen those tv nail treatment ad's,
I never understood. That was, till mine started turning yellow and looking bad.

The good news, now after 2.5 years on meds, my nails are back to their old perfect self.
I lost a couple toe nails in the past, and it did take the immune system  a while to recover and
correct the nail fungus thingy. But in time, it will and does return things back to a much better condition.

In the meantime, I use to get this nail anti-fungus stuff at the drug store (over the counter)
that listed tea tree oil as one of the ingredients. Its helped alot.
Glad you're on meds. In time, a lot of the immune problems and issues will take care of them selves.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:36:40 pm »
My dad had his nail taken out a few years ago and to be honest it's not really notice-able.  You're going to need your liver for the HIV meds in the long run, so Lamisil may not be the best answer IMHO. 

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:15:04 am »
I looked up the old bottle, it was called BLUE GOO nail fungus treatment. Over the counter. It lists tea tree oil in it. Really worked for me.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 01:38:58 pm »
sf, you gotta do what you gotta do.  :( i feel for you and hope for the best. i dont know what i'm gonna do about my left big toenail cuz the right side seems to be growing downward instead of straight out. ugh. this is so not what i need so i really do feel for you

Offline wishful

• I am pretty content nowadays..Life is gud..
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 02:45:37 pm »
Yeah def try the tea tree oil if u cant get the lamisil..i took it for about 2 months i think and im also on viramune...No problems and my big toe was back in a couple months...i hear there a few home remedies that heal toe nail fungus as well..Just as Ann said it takes persistence and continuity...listerine, vicks vapor rub, and vinegar are some listed when googling toe nail fungus remedies...check it out...Be patient tho , takes a while..
Live life to the fullest...

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
Thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like I don't need it removed after all. Doc says Lamisil is fine after the liver gets used to the Viramune. Toe just stopped hurting yesterday.  Just got to take care of my feet more. :)
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 09:58:48 pm »
Hi Shadow,

I've had a lot of success with Tea Tree oil for treating nail fungus. For me it worked as well as the Lamisil - only it takes persistance. (It's not hard on your liver like Lamisil - a bonus) Just put a drop on/under each infected nail at least once a day. You can also put a couple drops in a foot-bath. You should start seeing results as your nail grows out.

Ann

I'm gonna try that and doc says to use Lamisil cream on the nails in the morn and night! :)
March 11     756

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.