Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:01:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773203
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 526
Total: 528

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need Some Clarity - HELP  (Read 4637 times)

Offline confusedtoolong

Need Some Clarity - HELP
« on: April 18, 2009, 09:54:34 pm »
Hi,
PLEASE HELP. For the past 8 years I have lived my life in fear,  :'(! I have been with my boyfriend for almost 7 years and have never cheated. However in October 2001, I had unprotected sex repeatedly with a man of unknown status from Sub Saharan Africa. In both March and April 2002 I was tested at a local family clinic where the results were negative. However here is the strange part, my boyfriend and I have had numerous symptoms suggestive of HIV.My boyfriend tested negative in November 2008. Here are the strange symptoms thats causing me to think its HIV. My boyfriend always have a runny nose, he had arm rashes which left permanent mark, angular cheilitis (side cracks of mouth), low WBC of 3.1 (very low), gum recession on upper gum area,  and I have pins and needles/ peripheral neuropathy in hands, feet, and scalp, that is getting worse everyday. (It drives me crazy!) Chronic headaches and a pain under jaw that doctors cant figure out.

Is it possible maybe the tests did not pick up HIV2 strain? Since the guy was from Sub Saharan Africa where this strain is prevalent. Please help me I can't control this. Please be honest with me.
Thank you all in advance.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Need Some Clarity - HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:10:56 am »
Confused,

Hiv 2 isn't prevalent in sub-Saharan Africa. It's found in West Africa. There's difference. It's a big place, ya know? I bet you never worried about anyone you slept with who wasn't from Africa. Hiv doesn't discriminate and neither should you. It's not just Africans and gay men who are living with hiv. You need to assume ANYONE you don't know the hiv status of is hiv positive and protect yourself accordingly, not just when you're with an African.

Not only did you two test far outside any window periods, but also nothing you're reporting is remotely hiv specific. You want honesty? It sounds to me like your bf has allergies and he doesn't brush his teeth often enough or well enough.

But we cannot diagnose you or your bf here. And symptoms are never the way to know if you've got hiv or not - only testing will and your tests are conclusively hiv negative. Your tests most likely included both hiv 1&2, as most tests do nowdays. If you're worried about hiv2 - go test again if you need to for peace of mind and this time, make sure the test being used detects both hiv 1&2.

If either of you continue to feel unwell, see a doctor. Whatever is going on is most unlikely to have anything to do with hiv2. It certainly does NOT have anything to do with hiv1.

Ann
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:12:37 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline confusedtoolong

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:17:12 am »
Thank you for your reply. I understand HIV1 being out of the question. It's the HIV2 that worries me. Also the man is from Nigeria not Sub-Saharan Africa. (I'm not geographically savvy).

You mentioned that the symptoms are not HIV specific, but the 2 that worries me are:

1. His low WBC (3.1)
2. My Peripheral Neuropathy/ Pins n Needles in my hands, feet, and scalp.

Doesn't these indicate HIV? Please let me know, I trust you guys since you are all experts at this.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:33:12 am »
NO.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:38:25 am »
Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status.

Only an HIV test can give you a reliable answer. Discuss you are symptoms with your doctor as Ann suggested. I don't see this as an HIV situation.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:33:44 pm »
Confused,

A low WBC indicates absolutely nothing where hiv is concerned. I've been poz 12 years, not on meds, and while my CD4s have been low from time to time, my WBC has always been normal. A low WBC can be indicative of many other things, but not hiv. See a doctor to find out what's going on with the WBC.

Hiv doesn't cause PN (except in very rare instances, usually when the person has been poz for many, many years - more years than you're worried about). The meds used to treat hiv cause PN.

Again, see a doctor. If you can't stop worrying about hiv2, test for it, but don't be surprised by another negative result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline confusedtoolong

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:36:52 am »
Hi Ann and All The Others Who Help Us Worried Souls.
I am back again. I am a person of faith and I usually believe I am fine. I AM STILL SO WORRIED about HIV-2,  because : Peripheral Neuropathy is taking over my life, and my boyfriend WBC is still so low. Obviously I am afraid. Please Please Give Me Some Pointers as I am LOSING It. I have no one else to talk to about this. Everyone around me thinks my life is perfect but I am dying inside.

Prayer is the only thing that helps. Please tell me about these symptoms: LOW WBC, Neuropathy, Gum Recession, Chest Pain. Please.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:45 am »
Confused,

It's not our place to go into details concerning your symptoms. That's what doctors are for - I suggest you go see one.

You're extremely unlikely to have hiv2. If you cannot put the doubt out of your mind, go test and get it over with.

There's absolutely nothing more we can do for you here. The ball is in your court.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline confusedtoolong

FINALLY GOT TESTED
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:06:20 am »
Hi,
I finally had the courage to get tested 2 days ago for HIV 1/2 Antibody and it came back Non Reactive. Thank God. ;D

I am grateful to all of you who responded to me and encourage me through my fear. I STRONGLY encourage those worried wells who are living in fear to GET TESTED.  This is the best way. I was given a new lease on life, only 2 days after getting tested. The internet should not be used to self diagnosed...I did it...and was I wrong!! :o

I am now dedicated to making a difference especially to young women, to help them protect themselves, so they can prevent the fear I've had for so many years.

My heart goes out to those who have the disease. I will keep you all in my prayers that God will strengthen you and continue to give you courage. He is always with you, He's only a Prayer away.

God Bless You All.  If you are fearful....Get TESTED. If you were lucky as I was...PRACTICE SAFE SEX ALWAYS and remember ALCOHOL and SEX should never be combined.  Best to you all.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 03:59:51 am »
Confused,

Getting tested isn't the best  way, it's the ONLY way to know your hiv status.

I'm glad you finally got closure on this matter. Make sure you protect your negative hiv status from here on out and insist that condoms are being used for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.