Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:02:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 465
Total: 467

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aidswalk St. Petersburg, Florida  (Read 4102 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Aidswalk St. Petersburg, Florida
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:03:18 pm »

Just a reminder to those in the Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg area, that the annual aids walk will be held on 9/11/10 : Last year we got rained out !

http://www.aidswalkstpetersburg.org/

http://www.aidswalkstpetersburg.org/911bells

"I am excited to announce the tolling of The AIDS Memorial Bells this year at AIDS Walk St. Petersburg, September 11th, 2010. The tolling of the bells will be a tribute to the lives lost in the 9/11 attack on America.

The AIDS Memorial Bells are a local, mobile memorial to remember loved ones lost to AIDS. Beginning with 1981, a bell has been commissioned for every year of the epidemic. Another bell will be added each year until no more lives are lost. The bells audibly and visually symbolize the impact of AIDS on our lives, never forgetting our fallen brothers and sisters as we renew our dedication and awareness."

Respectfully,

Anthony B. Barros

Resource Development Manager

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

Re: Aidswalk St. Petersburg, Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:15:17 am »
 8)

It's about 7:10 Am Saturday morning.  We're up and showered, and will be heading out the door shortly. It's going to be another hot, humid day today, for the Aids walk. Time to slather on the sunscreen ! 

Current temp in St . Pete is 81 degrees.  Forecast high, will be around 92, and it looks as though we won't have any rain. ( at least during the walk) Later in the afternoon is a different story.

http://www.baynews9.com/weather/forecast

Since last year was rained out, I am hoping for a good turn-out this year.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

Re: Aidswalk St. Petersburg, Florida
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:48:30 pm »

We arrived at St. Pete around 8:15 Saturday morning.  We went to the registry tent, gave our names and donations.  They already had us on their computer base.

As we were walking around I mentioned to Ed, that there weren't as many people here as in 2008.  2009 was rained out.  Ed also thought the turnout was no where near as much as some years. Whether this was a result of the economy, heat, or some other events that may have been taking place in Pinellas county, or a combination of all, I don't know. Ed also thought that more people might show up as the start of the walk got closer ( 10:00 )  but I didn't see it. The goal this year is $100,000.00  I hope they get it ! Won't find that out for a couple of weeks, or until they get it all counted.

Andy Johnson , was the Grand Marshall this year, and has been with Fox 13, ever since I can remember.  He's the meteorologist for Channel 13. He thanked everyone for their participation this year, and proceeded to announce the team names, and the sponsors this year.

Ann Sherman- White was the Master of ceremonies this year, and did a fantastic job. I believe Ann works or volunteers, at the Hospice of the Florida Suncoast. It was hard for me to hear her introduction, and Ed didn't quite catch it either.  But,  She did a great job, along with Andy Johnson.

Anthony Barros, is the  Resource Development Manager for ASAP ( Aids Service Association of Pinellas Inc. ) He had tears in the eyes of many, when he got up to the stage yesterday.  He mentioned that on Friday night , he received a call that a close friend was taking his last breaths.

He reminded everyone, that Aids still kills, and that we must not become complacent. The Color Guard, were introduced, and marched to the front of the stage, and the Star Spangled Banner, was sung.

Anthony Barros, then announced the tolling of the Aids bells, in memory of those lost on 9/11, and to remember those lost to to Aids.  There were 29 bells starting with 1981. Each bell is engraved with the year on it. Twenty nine people, were holding one bell each.  As each year was announced,  that bell would ring, as the following year was announced that bell along with the previous bell was rung, until all the years were announced.  Finally all 29 bells were sounded.  This also brought a lot of tears. I'm glad I had my hanky.

At 10:01 the walk started.  Again, they did a fantastic job or coordinating. Police were there directing traffic at the intersections. There were plenty of people handing out bottles of ice water along the 3.1 mile route, and  there were plenty of people along the route to "mist " you to help keep you cool.  And it worked !!  The walk took us about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

We made it through the walk with no problem. As long as I was moving I was fine. The problem started after Ed and I sat down( or attempted to sit down) on the grass.

I started laughing as I put a towel down on the grass, wondering how the hell I was going to maneuver myself down on the towel, without appearing to others as someone suffering from heat stroke.  :o   My body didn't want to bend down to get onto the towel. It was like watching a comedy team.  ;D   I don't think you heard two people moan, and groan, and crack as much as we did. Finally, we just dropped down, gave out a grunt and we were on the grass.  I said to Ed, " I'm afraid to get back up"  We sat for about another 30 minutes, and watched a few more events taking place. Getting off the towel I was like the bear in my Avatar.   :D

We finally got back up, and that's when I felt the pain in  every joint, muscle, and of course my aching hips ( especially the left one),  but we made it back to the car, got back home, took a hot shower and went out for a late lunch.  We then went to our local watering hole, where we had a couple of beers.  Of course, My was an NA.

After we got home from the bar, Ed and asked me if I wanted anything from the store. I said a six pack of Miller should do the job !! I drank 3 of them and dozed off until around 5:30 this morning. I slept like a baby last night, we both did !

I took tonight ( Sunday)off from work.I already had this approved.  I have an appointment tomorrow at the VA, and I have fasting/ HIV labs scheduled for 8:00 in the morning !!

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.