Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:46:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Dear Ann and other experts, question regarding bleeding hemorrhoids  (Read 5016 times)

Offline john23

• Standard
Dear Ann and other experts, I need your opinion and assessment regarding my case.

About a week ago, i went to use the public toilet for no 2. I usually experience bleeding from anal fissures when i go no 2 (due to my hemorrhoids) and it was the case also this time.

Half way through wiping, I realized that the paper was damp, and there were some red blot on the roll, so this could have came into contact directly with the bleeding fissures on my anus.

I have been worried over the risk of catching HIV from using that toilet paper. I am afraid that someone who used the roll before me may have poured infected blood into the roll, or he could have ejected sperm into the roll.

My question is: Could HIV transmit this way? Assuming that the toilet paper was soaked with HIV infected blood or sperm. Could HIV live on the paper tissue?

Ann and other experts, please please answer this question.

Thanks alot

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Dear Ann and other experts, question regarding bleeding hemorrhoids
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:58 pm »
Hi John , I read your concern very carefully and I can say that you absolutely did NOT have a risk for HIV in the manner you are concerned about .

HIV is squired sexually from penetrative vaginal or anal sex , from mother to child during childbirth and from sharing IV drug injection equipment . HIV is fragile and hard to transmit , its rendered unable to infect as soon as its exposed to oxygen . You can rest assured you did not have a risk .

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care checkup, including but not limited to HIV testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine checkups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine HIV tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline john23

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 08:57:15 am »
Hey, thanks Jeff for the reply

Can you elaborate more deeply about my situation?

I heard that if blood/sperm come into direct contact with an open wound (in this situation, it is my anal fissures's bleeding), it could transmit HIV. Is that true?

I also heard that HIV can live outside the body for about 24 hours. Is that true?
In my case, could HIV live on the paper tissue?

Do you guys think I need to get tested?

Thanks Jeff for ur help.

Other experts, please share your opinion too, please. I need to calm my mind.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:51:07 am »
Hey, thanks Jeff for the reply

Can you elaborate more deeply about my situation?

I heard that if blood/sperm come into direct contact with an open wound (in this situation, it is my anal fissures's bleeding), it could transmit HIV. Is that true?

I also heard that HIV can live outside the body for about 24 hours. Is that true?
In my case, could HIV live on the paper tissue?

Do you guys think I need to get tested?

Thanks Jeff for ur help.

Other experts, please share your opinion too, please. I need to calm my mind.

HIV is damaged and rendered unable to infect as soon as its exposed to air , period . Its a myth that it can survive outside the human body on things in our environment .

HIV is acquired sexually from penetrative vaginal or anal sex , from mother to child during childbirth and from sharing IV drug injection equipment . HIV is fragile and hard to transmit , its rendered unable to infect as soon as its exposed to oxygen . You can rest assured you did not have a risk .

There was zero chance that you could be infected in the manner you are worrying over , you did not have a risk by any stretch of the imagination .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline john23

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:34:30 am »
Thanks Jeff for ur explanation, I really appreciated it

But can someone else (Ann, jkinatl2, and other experts) please also access my situation and answer my questions. If I really don't have any risk, please just encourage me to move on and stop thinking about this.

Please understand that it's not because I don't trust Jeff's answer, but it's just because I am that type of person who is very logical and usually need more than 1 person's point of view to help my mind rest assured  :(

Please guys, help me out. Your answers would mean so much for me and my future

Thank you

Dear Ann and other experts, I need your opinion and assessment regarding my case.

About a week ago, i went to use the public toilet for no 2. I usually experience bleeding from anal fissures when i go no 2 (due to my hemorrhoids) and it was the case also this time.

Half way through wiping, I realized that the paper was damp, and there were some red blot on the roll, so this could have came into contact directly with the bleeding fissures on my anus.

I have been worried over the risk of catching HIV from using that toilet paper. I am afraid that someone who used the roll before me may have poured infected blood into the roll, or he could have ejected sperm into the roll.

My question is: Could HIV transmit this way? Assuming that the toilet paper was soaked with HIV infected blood or sperm. Could HIV live on the paper tissue?

Ann and other experts, please please answer this question.

Thanks alot

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »
Well, honestly I was avoiding answering this thread because I feel like I've been harsh enough to people this week. But hey, ok.

If HIV was transmitted in the manner you described, it would be a contagious, communicable disease and not an infectious one. The most cursory reading of any three randomly picked AM I INFECTED threads would tell you that HIV is a very delicate virus, whose glycoprotein shell is easily disrupted, rendering it incapable of infecting.

Someone with a high viral load could masturbate and ejaculate right onto your open, bleeding hemorrhoids and you would have no risk. And rule #34 of the internet promises that someone has.

HIV is sexually transmitted inside the human body through unprotected anal and vaginal intercourse. You don't get it from a toilet seat. The fact that you know the moderators by name and you don't know that shows that we continue to fail at getting that simple message across, and for that I am sorry.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.