Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:53:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 673
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 676
Total: 676

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Regaining empathy  (Read 3825 times)

Offline wolfter

Regaining empathy
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:43:36 pm »
I had to take a break for a while.  Instead of continuing to post here once I lost my ability to feel for others' situations, it was better for all if I just shut out.  Hopefully I didn't impose those feelings on too many before making this decision.

I think my brother once again played me, but in a productive way.  We were holding a benefit for a family that lost their young son.  I've always been the organizer of these types of events.  This one hit too close and I initially said no.  I thought it'd anger me; having thoughts of figure our how to bury your child and such.

I pretty much avoided the parents as I dutifully carried out my duties.  Towards the end, my brother spoke on the mic detailing how much we had raised and provided some details on their loss.  Their 14 year old son will killed almost a year ago and they have been working hard to purchase a small marker for his grave. 

I stood in the back while trying to stop the tears from flowing.  My son recently died and has a beautiful headstone after such a short time.  The first time I visited his grave with just bare dirt just about killed me.  I made the decision to not return until the marker was complete.  My son was an adult while these people lost their young son and probably deal with looking at a bare patch of grass regularly.

Strange how a simple episode changes you.  I'm back but trying to figure out the new me.  Once again in this life, I've got to figure out my "new normal".

bless you all!
greg

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Regaining empathy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 02:39:59 pm »
Hey Greg,

I think that we sometimes feel we have lost something, instead of a greater need being present.  When you lost your son, your needs became paramount, you didn't stop being empathetic or anything else, you needed to face your loss.  I don't believe that we must lose traits, to deal with others.  I believe, you will always be who you are and at any given time, your various traits will be working to help you deal with reality at that given moment.

Joe

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 02:47:09 pm »
Welcome back, Greg.  I, and I'm sure many others, missed your insightful forum posts.

My thoughts remain with you upon the sudden loss of your son.  I can't even imagine the sorrows you are going through. I wish you continued strength and peace of mind.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 02:04:46 pm »
An important member of our family passed away suddenly yesterday.  My brother referred to him as his husband-in-law.  We've all loved Rick since childhood and I watched my brother go in to total breakdown mood last night.

Even today as people stopped by with offers of how they could help, I couldn't help but think of all of our recent losses.  Rick meant so much to all of us. 

It's odd that I think of how people think they might die from having unprotected sex with a dildo while not living life to the fullest.  I was accustomed to loosing beloved friends but deaths have gotten out of control recently.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 08:31:00 pm »
Greg , I'm sorry for your loss,
I hope you and your family can find comfort in each other .
Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 10:34:27 pm »
Greg -

I am so sorry for your loss.  Thinking of you and sending some positive thoughts your way!!

HUGS!
Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 05:55:41 am »
Greg, so sorry you're experiencing another loss.  Please accept my condolences.

My roommate goes to 12 step meetings, has for 26 years, and lately there have been a disproportionate number of people who were in recovery from drugs, then relapsed and overdosed.  Whether or not these overdoses were intentional is anyone's guess because we know how a lot of times addicts "accidentally" overdose. 

Then someone I know just lost a co-worker to domestic violence.  So yes, it seems that there has been a lot of death lately.  Life is fragile.

I hope you and your brother find peace.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline initforlife

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 03:28:17 pm »
Greg, I'm sorry. hang in there. I too have had my share of loss the last couple of years starting with my dad.  then my sister. then a very special friend just a few weeks ago.. It is hard to let go of someone we love and even harder watching their loves ones hurting. Hugs and love to you!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 02:26:32 pm »
Greg...so sorry for all the tragedies you have had to deal with of late.  You have been through so very much.  Hugs to you from a distance and I hope you find peace and comfort real soon. :(

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 06:47:05 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words.  His elderly mother approached me Friday night and I immediately hugged and loved her.  She reminded me how we're now both in the horrible club of loosing a child.  So I guess it's not an age thing.

Rick's wife is also a dear friend.  We obviously all love each other as we can horrible arguments and pretend it didn't happen the next morning....just like both of our families.  :)

I had an off feeling about her today and called her up.  She didn't sound normal so I just kept her expressing her feelings. 
Towards the ends, she thanked me.  I asked for what and she said "for asking how I'm doing".

I've seen this written by countless through the years that initial support is great but it fades.  And it does.  There were some periods I wish someone would have called and asked that question.  Very few even asked when seeing me in person. 

And I totally understand the whys.  Supporting and enabling is such a blurred wine....or maybe that's this glass of line I've poured?  :)

Offline ImisstheOldTimes

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 03:47:30 pm »
Hey Wolf,

Sorry to hear you are going through another loss, this has been a tragic year indeed for death.  Hope you are doing well, and be well. 

(((HUGS)))
Heidi
Life is a BANQUET, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

~Auntie Mame

Offline ShadowBlue

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 06:36:32 pm »
So sorry to hear about such a great loss. I don't have children, so I can't fathom the pain. Stay strong and never give up! ❤

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.