Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:23:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 217
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New on Trazodone  (Read 5988 times)

Offline mitch777

New on Trazodone
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:20:28 pm »
Hi,
I've been on Lunesta (2 mg) for several months due to insomnia from Isentress.
I experimented with different doses, 1,2, and 3 mg. The 2 mg seemed to work out well.
My ID doc wasn't too keen on the idea of staying on Lunesta long term. (I am not sure why. Maybe he told me and I forgot?)
Anyway, he thought a switch to Trazodone would be a good idea.
I took the first pill last night (50mg) and slept like sh*t.
Just wondered if it takes awhile to build up in your system or maybe the dose is too low?
Also wonder if anyone knows of problems of concern by taking Lunesta on a long term basis.
I have enough going on with my health without having to be dead tired from lack of sleep.
I don't mind trying Trazodone if it can work but the Lunesta was doing a good job.
Thanks!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: New on Trazodone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »
I take 100mg each night (I can go up to 200 if needed). I dont see how 50 would ever work for me, but that's just me. Building up isnt really how it works since it's out of your system after about 6 or 8 hours (low half-life). Maybe try the 50 again tonight and if it doesnt work then call your doc and ask him if you can double the dose.

Good luck. and I Love my Trazies. ;)

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mitch777

Re: Trazodone vs. Lunesta
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:57 am »
I take 100mg each night (I can go up to 200 if needed). I dont see how 50 would ever work for me, but that's just me. Building up isnt really how it works since it's out of your system after about 6 or 8 hours (low half-life). Maybe try the 50 again tonight and if it doesnt work then call your doc and ask him if you can double the dose.

Good luck. and I Love my Trazies. ;)

-WIll
Thanks Will.
I will give that a shot.
I do notice I am more groggy in the morning compared to Lunesta. It's likely because I'm not getting a good enough nights sleep with my current dose of Traz.

Still wonder if anyone has comments about problems regarding long term use of Lunesta.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:34:54 am »
I was also exhausted from not getting adequate sleep and my doctor suggested 50mg of Trazadone at night.  It did absolutely nothing!!!  Upon my own, I doubled up and it works wonders.  I attempt sleep before relying upon them but that seldom works.

The building up aspect of Trazadone is if it's being used as an antidepressant. 

Wolfie

PS.  I already broke my oath about shopping.  I purchased the most awesome cycling shirt.  In my defense, my old ones were looking a little worse for wear. ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:55 am »
The doctor doesn't want you on Lunesta long term due to tolerance.  I take ambien and got the same song and dance from my doctor, yet he writes me a 6 months refill every 6 months.

About a year ago I told him I either take the Ambien or don't sleep, its that simple.  Ever since he never mentions it and just faxes refills every 6 months.

I am though going to try and taper off of them.  I think they have bad effect on my mood. .
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:33:11 am »
The doctor doesn't want you on Lunesta long term due to tolerance.  I take ambien and got the same song and dance from my doctor, yet he writes me a 6 months refill every 6 months.

About a year ago I told him I either take the Ambien or don't sleep, its that simple.  Ever since he never mentions it and just faxes refills every 6 months.

I am though going to try and taper off of them.  I think they have bad effect on my mood. .

Wow, this is quite a coincidence! I just woke up and your post was the most recent. I am in a huge fog and usually get up around 6AM.
Last night I took a Traz at about 8PM because I knew it wasn't going to knock me out quickly. Well, I was still wide awake by 10:30 so I took another. Still didn't sleep too well until 4AM!
Three different docs of mine listed the 3 big choices of sleep aid meds... Ambein, Lunesta, and Trazadone.
They all said Ambien was their least favorite one due to side effects. (they didn't get into specifics)
Anyway, I much prefer the Lunesta over Traz.
Now that you mention the tolerance issue, it's is ringing a bell in my mind. I think he might have used that for the reason too.
It's good to know that tolerance didn't seem to be an issue for you (on Ambien)! :)
I will give the Traz a try for a few more nights but if there isn't any improvement I am going to talk to my doc about sticking with the Lunesta.
Thanks for the post!! :) :)

Offline peteb

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:03:44 pm »
I am on 150 mg does nothing for me at all I go 3 days without sleep

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 08:50:44 am »
I am on 150 mg does nothing for me at all I go 3 days without sleep
Bummer. Have you tried anything else?

100mg seems to be working for me now. It doesn't get me sleeping as fast as Lunesta but it does seem to keep me sleeping longer. More fog brain the morning too. It's kinda like the porridge is too hot or too cold with these 2 meds for me. Oh well, better than insomnia. :)

Offline peteb

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 05:33:59 pm »
tried ambien  did nothing\Lorazapam\ the same had other ones but cant think of the names, just wish something would work

Offline peteb

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 05:34:56 pm »
glad you are getting sleep

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 06:32:43 pm »
tried ambien  did nothing\Lorazapam\ the same had other ones but cant think of the names, just wish something would work
Hi Pete,
How long have you been having trouble sleeping? What other meds are you taking?
You obviously have discussed this with your doc. What does he/she think? Wish I were better able to help but maybe others can with more info. I feel for you. Lack of sleep can affect so much. As you can see I'm pretty new to this myself and even though I'm sleeping better the side effects seem like a step backward in my clarity of thought. Not all roses.
m.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 06:43:37 pm »
Mitch, my doctor just prescribed Rozerem after me having issues with sleep for eons.  I built up a tolerance pretty quick to the Trazadone, plus had that brain fog you are talking about.

My doctor would not give me Ambien or Lunesta due to addiction potential, but that's just me. He knows about my past addiction issues.  Being you haven't had these issues, I don't see why your doctor wouldn't ok a little Lunesta at times.

But, if you look on drugs.com, at these sleep meds, it's a bit scary, especially when reading about waking up in the night and doing things you don't remember the next morning.  One of my clients, who is on Ambien, has this issue.  He just relocated his shoulder during the night, without remembering it the next morning.  I'm worried he'll start a fire some time, as he also cooks and doesn't remember it. 

Anyway, I hope the Trazadone works for you.  Just know, you're not alone.  :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 08:59:14 am »
Mitch, my doctor just prescribed Rozerem after me having issues with sleep for eons.  I built up a tolerance pretty quick to the Trazadone, plus had that brain fog you are talking about.

My doctor would not give me Ambien or Lunesta due to addiction potential, but that's just me. He knows about my past addiction issues.  Being you haven't had these issues, I don't see why your doctor wouldn't ok a little Lunesta at times.

But, if you look on drugs.com, at these sleep meds, it's a bit scary, especially when reading about waking up in the night and doing things you don't remember the next morning.  One of my clients, who is on Ambien, has this issue.  He just relocated his shoulder during the night, without remembering it the next morning.  I'm worried he'll start a fire some time, as he also cooks and doesn't remember it. 

Anyway, I hope the Trazadone works for you.  Just know, you're not alone.  :-*
Thanks once again Betty!
It's good to know of an alternative should the Trazodone stop working (or the brain fog becomes too much).
I don't know if my doc would have a problem with an occasional Lunesta but I'm not sure I would want to be going back and forth using different sleep meds.
I've read about the side effects you mentioned but I didn't have an issue...that I was aware of anyway. ;D
Are you having any side effects from Rozerem?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.