Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 354
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Haven't Started Atripla yet, had meds two weeks..  (Read 11830 times)

Offline lifegoeson

Haven't Started Atripla yet, had meds two weeks..
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:16:29 pm »
I have been using every reason or excuse no to start them yet, or tonight, maybe tommorrow, maybe I should wait till I refill my marinol, i have to pick the kids up, get drunk one last time, etc.
I know i am just scared, because now it is forever....no turning back

I have found these forums very helpful as a try to begin my journey. 

It seems like everyone experiences are a little different, but a lot a like. 

Anyone on Xanax and Wellibutan and Atripla? any side effects? need to worry about? 

I seem to have all the side effects including the vivid dreams but have yet to take a pill. 

I want to thank everyone who has shared their experiences. "They do make a difference".

I have been benefiting from them for quite awhile. 

I will try to share my experiences and feelings hoping to maybe make a difference for someone else.

I am eating dinner now, so maybe I will start them later tonight or 1st thing in morning?  I dont know what to do.....

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Haven't Started Atripla yet, had meds two weeks..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:16:39 pm »
Hi welcome.
Maybe, could you explain something specific - why you dont want to start?  Is there something you can put your finger on?  Or is it a general overall anxiety or fear of HAART?

Getting infected with HIV - that was the no turning back point.  HIV is forever.  We don't really know about the medicine - who knows what will come around - maybe therapeutic vaccines.  Taking the drugs is really a blip in the experience - really!  If its your time, its your time, though you don't share your numbers....

Also, you know it's not "forever".  You can stop HAART if your doctor supervises how your stop.  

Hiv is forever, for the moment.  The medicine just keeps that virus quiet and sleeping.  That's a good thing, isn't it?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »
Hi there i was the same as you i stalled for a week but have now been on atripla 8 weeks and feel great loads more energy. Its a mental step starting it brings it all home to you a bit like confirming your pos status . I was given my meds on a friday but was going away for the weekend but eventually i started the following thursday allowing myself three days to get used to things over the weekend. I just took a nice hot bath to relax me had a light evening meal and took the pill two hours later. All was fine just a bit dizzy on my 4 am toilet stop that went away after a few days leaving me thinking what all the fuss was about, but i think everyone is a bit apprehensive to start with. My hiv doc told me 50% have no side effects 40% minor ones and about 10% need to change meds , relax you will be fine.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 12:51:51 pm »
Same great experience w/ Atripla here - started 12/4/09 -- I take it between 10:30 and 11 pm -- i don't experience any dizziness -- I get some grogginess in the morning and some slight stomach cramping in the morning, which is easily relieved (defined as: toilet stop).  Other than that, its been great.  VL went from 2,900 pre-Atripla to 60, 25 days after starting.  Best of luck --- I'm sure u will have great results.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
One good thing about waiting to start is that you now have an extra supply of meds to tide you over in case in the future you run into any problems with getting them late, etc.

This site has a section where you can check for possible interactions by putting in the name of all the meds you're taking:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/cmm/

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:18:52 pm »

Life,

Was wondering if you started last night, hope all went well if you did.  I would like to suggest something if it's not too late, if you work you would be better off waiting till the night before your day off.  The side effects the first few nights are bad but that is when they are at their most noticeable, and anything different can sometimes freak us out.  To minimize the side effects be sure to take it on an empty stomach.  With me it helped to take before bed time.  Dreams were not all that bad, and I was just a little woozy getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom during the first few nights.

Atripla really works well against the virus, that much I can attest to.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:35:31 pm »
Still haven't started yet, things are complicated by I work a lot of nights and tend to eat late.

I wanted to build up a little surplus because I worry about not being able to get them on time, or if i leave em home or something, traveling, loose insurance.

to answer why the hesitation to start? Mostly anxiety, I work a lot and need to be able to work were as I am self employed....do not really want an interuption in my ability to work

My Cd4 has been averaging 470  viral load 12000

There is no immediate need to start, but with new guidelines and timing in life better to start now than wait. Dr. Agreed as well.

I really do not know if I'll start tonight when i get home, i kinda hungry now.  I almost want to start during the day, just in case have really bad side effects....i will know about them.

I will start either tonight or definitely tommorrow night.  I know I can't wait to start!

And yes I do realize the moment I had unprotected sex it was the moment of no turning back.....now is just the new beginning.

Thanks Again.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:13:29 am »
It is Midnight Saturday Night after much procrastination I just took my first of many Atripla pills, I already feel a little nausea and nervous as hell.  Prior to taking the big pill i took two of my .5mg lorazepams to help with initial anxiety.  I will stay awake for awhile and wait.  Like many my journey begins..i will update in the morning.  Thank for the Support

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:57 am »
well i made it through the night slept like a baby, no i really d not remember if i had a crazy dream or not, I feel a little lightheaded and slightly dizzy and have some stomach slight ache  might all be the placebo effect...but so far so good

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:13:44 am »
Hi lifegoeson,

as per the interactions, you may want to cross-check with drugs interactions tools such as those provided by:

Aidsmeds
hiv-druginteractions

or any others reputable sources. It's a best practice to always check any known possible interactions before taking meds in more than your HAART.

Be aware than otherwise if specified, if such tools do not return interactions, it doesn't means there are no interactions, but that there are no studies available to determine if there are or not interactions.
The best practice here is to never take over-the-counter drugs but to get any additional drugs as prescribed by your ID Doc, which knows which drugs you are currently taking.

About the drugs you are taking, here are the know interactions:

Aidsmeds

hiv-druginteractions

The good things with the Aidsmeds tool is that it is also showing you know interactions between non-hiv drugs, as in your case, the interactions between Xanax XR (alprazolam) and Wellbutrin (buPROPion).

Best !

John
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:25:23 pm by John2038 »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:35:08 am »
well i made it through the night slept like a baby, no i really d not remember if i had a crazy dream or not, I feel a little lightheaded and slightly dizzy and have some stomach slight ache  might all be the placebo effect...but so far so good

I am really happy to hear this, before you know it you'll be giving others advice on how to overcome their fears of the meds.  Thanks for the update-
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 07:23:31 pm »
Just a continued update, In fact I have worked all day about 12 hours total when all is said and done.  I felt a little dizzy, and my stomach ached for just a little as well, But I would conclude so far so good...knock on wood...I am aware as more chemicals enter my body more of the effects will pop up.

My head feels a little light headed but no longer dizzy.  I did think I was running a little hot (warm) today.

I still have to go home and take my second dosage, Thank god I was used too taking vitamines these pills are huge...

I usually eat late whereas I work the restaurant business. I worry that may effect my sides effects as well.  I have never worried about so much in my life...

Thanks for the Medical Links for Interactions

Thanks for the words of encouragement....Day 2 continues

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »
great news lifegoeson..... ur doing great.
I'm on day 57 of Atripla --- very few side effects -- only occasional stomach cramps in A.M., some grogginess in morning; not too much dizziness - very rare.  I sometimes eat within 30 minutes of my dose and sometimes within 30 minutes after and haven't noticed any significant change in side effects as a result -- but everyone's experience is different.  Thanks for the updates.  :-)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 03:42:46 pm »
day 2 no immediate problems to report of, awoke a couple of times during night felt a Little hot but not night sweats, I seem to be a little dizzy at times, kinda feel the same way as i did yesterday.  I was a little nauseous last night after taken pill because took it at 9PM instead of Midnight the night prior.

I really have not eaten anything in last two days, starving but not really in the mood to eat if that makes any sense...I think ill supplement with protein shakes for now.  It is the middle of the afternoon, i did just have a bit of an anxiety attack but that is more related to the financial stress part of my life.  I took 2 xanax feel a little better now, I long to wean my self from these anxiety anti-depression drugs, but it will take time and patience.

Thanks for listening....but overall was wondering why I was so scared to start, but it is only day 2.

Best wishes to everyone else .

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 04:12:03 pm »
When I take it and don't go directly to sleep I get the same thing.  My head feels hot, I get a little dizzy, and I feel a little bit stoned.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 11:14:26 pm »
night # three seem to be a little dizzier, tried not taking my lorezapam but decided otherwise.  I always seem to have a little nausea but I smoke medicinal marijuana to help with that, but then i get hungry.  I usually have been going to sleep pretty good, kinda gonk out, but right now it seems like the room is sliding at an angle meaning it is like the floor is ...i am babbling...i  do feel kinda drunk my hand eye coordination seems to be off in waves...that's it for now I was going to try to stay up later then usual tonight to monitor effects..but i work all day again and I am a little tired 2.  Thanks for letting me share...
|

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:08 pm »
day 4 I awoke fairly early this morning, I have noticed I do not sleep very well, toss and turn. 

Last night I felt agitated and a little down overall...I swear I had my first hallucination ever, I was talking in my dream but walking awake....meaning I was talking to someone that was not there

...I have to be honest that was the 1st time that's ever happened, (That I can remember).

I did wake up around 7am went to bed around 12midnight. 

I went to work for a little bit then I went to the gym, Oh yeah before all of that, When I vomited this AM it was whitish and tasted almost like aspirin or medicine flavor. 

I have also noticed I urinate a lot more frequently but I have intentionally been drinking more water, good news very clear not brownish at all.

Lastely, I did seem to have my daily anxiety attack even after one of my Xanax, needed to take another shortly there after, finances yesterday, relationship today. Small town drama to boot...what a mix.

Surprisingly I felt well enough to go to gym stretch out, and bench press and do some sit ups, etc. A light work out.

I sat in the sauna a little bit, but worried about getting dizzy or overdoing it.

I have a break from work going to play my PS3 and count my blessings...

We still have a whole lot more then what others do not (especially us Americans) 

We live in excess. My rant for the day!!

That's it for now day 4

I will continue hopefully status quo.

Thank you

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:34 pm »
just an update I am doing fine, seem to be doing better mentally and emotionally today, although i am quite fatague...I seem to vomit 1st thing in the morning, I have continuesly last few mornings, I should state I have been eating as well late night...well 10PM after work,

I seem to have settled into a rhythm today, yesterday I was hating the pill, resent having to take it , I was really getting just nauseas after taking it.  My consuler asked me whats the difference between this drug and my anxiety pill, Not too much different.  It helps put things in perspective 2

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 12:59:05 pm »

I seem to have settled into a rhythm today, yesterday I was hating the pill, resent having to take it , I was really getting just nauseas after taking it.  My consuler asked me whats the difference between this drug and my anxiety pill, Not too much different.  It helps put things in perspective 2

Also the fact that there are so many people with HIV/AIDS who do not have access to these latest medications (or any medications). I know that helped me as far as perspective.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 01:09:13 pm »
true, true..i am very fortunate to have access and means to get it.  Thanks for reminding all of us.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 01:51:43 pm »
It is Friday Day 5, of my regime.  I felt great when I awoke this morning.  I only woke up once that I know of last night.  I had taken my pill earlier than usual because had the night off from work.  I also switched from my lorezapam to xanax, so I was a little nervous, and did manage to down 1/2 a pint of chocolate chocolate chip Ice cream before my pill.  I am getting used to taking it, I have gotten over stigma for now....I am less nervous about side effects other than light nausea and dizziness...a few days of agitation, mixed with stress and anxiety....It seems to be leveling off, I do notice a difference...when I cough or get up. or bend over I get light headed.

Back to how I felt..I felt great until I ate a chocolate chip muffin, a red bull, and a coke...At work this AM got a little nausea's and light headed, had to sit down and have some ginger ale.  I am home now and get to rest before I have to work tonight.  I feel Fine now  and starting to get hungry for lunch  It is 2PM EST.  where I am, and other than muffin have not had anything to eat.

Well That's How I feel for now, good, less anxious about taking atripla but still apprehensive.  Physically thought I felt fine enough to go back to gym, but not today.  I do not want to over do it my 1st week.  Baby steps  I am learning to live with a new reality, I guess its like waking up an amputee, you just deal, and move on, day by day.....I am thankful for all I have and Including In spite of HIV in great health.  Have a great day!  and thanks for listening

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 03:43:16 pm »

Back to how I felt..I felt great until I ate a chocolate chip muffin, a red bull, and a coke.

LOL, that's a major sugar and caffeine rush. You might want to start to rethink your food choices if that's the kind of thing you eat regularly. Just saying.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:51 pm »
I definitely need to look at my diet, or lack there of, I have been loosing weight due to stress, and not eating properly...thanks for the reminder

Offline angelgaby

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 11:05:19 pm »
lifegoeson,

just read ur post..and i can relate. i have had every excuse not to start meds. i fill the prescriptions and then do nothing. my numbers have been horrible for the last few years and i still find excuses.
since logging on to this forum i have decided to go for it. im starting my meds tomorrow morning, 8am. im taking the truvada/isentress.  im a nervous wreck but it has to be.

im wondering have u started? and if so is it going well for u?

angelgaby :)

Offline veritas

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 06:22:05 am »

Angel,

Like Nike says ----- "JUST DO IT ! "

You'll be fine in more ways then one!

v

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 10:32:12 am »
OK Good Morning Day 7

Super Bowl Sunday....It has almost been a whole week of taking Atripla (6 doses) I'll take my 7th tonight.  My experience so far has been relatively pleasant.....all though yesterday it seem almost surreal that I have to take a pill, meaning now it is really sinking in what I have caused myself to have to do for the rest of my life. I can't believe it!

Back to side effects and such....I have been taking originally Lorezapams w/ my nightly dosage then switched to xanax, so I have in fact been sleeping real well, only waking up briefly during the night.  I suspect I do not have the vivid dreams due to sedatives.  I wake up fatigued, but a coke and a red bull later I am ready for the day.

I have only gone to the gym once this week, for a light work out....but work prohibits me from going back sooner.  I have not taken anytime off from work for the week, meaning I have worked my usual 60 hours+...,

Today after lying in bed for an hour, I decided One week into it, I feel good...not great, but better than I expected..the nausea was minimal, dizziness, and mood and emotions seemed to have settled.

I do have to get to work now, just wanted to update.

ANGELBABY  GOOD LUCK!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:02 pm »
Im glad that you made it onto HAART in one piece. 
See, you feel better.
When this is all chilled out, maybe you should see a nutritionist or reconsider a bit your diet. Sounds to me rather high fat and high sugar and caffeine.  We all love that but some water will help you as much as the red bull and coke!  Keep it all flowing.  Also you said you ate ice cream before your Atripla.  A lot of people feel nothing with Atripla and fatty food, but the recommendation is that you take Atripla without too much fat -- if you feel side effects.  My doc recommended a piece of fruit.  If I remember correctly, fat increases absorption of the drugs and that can lead to side effects.  Experts can correct me on this.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 12:25:23 am »
well it has been a week since my last update, nothing new to report other than fell asleep one night before taking my meds.  I had to take 1st thing in the morning and really haven't notice a difference other than being a little dizzy and a bit of nausea.  I am lucky a have not gotten any rash yet either.  It has been 18 days on atripla.  I feel a bit more irritable, but that could just be my own stresses.

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 10:09:23 am »
Its been One month 2 days there abouts....wanted to check in, physically dong great although I have loss about 10 pounds, I weigh 146 i used to weigh 158  a year ago, but I work a lot don't eat well, (see previous posts.)  I am under loads of stress home, work, finances the usual like everyone else.  I was slightly more agitated, depressed, sad, irrational, and less stable this past month then I ever have been since teen years...wow.

but made it through would like to get into a rhythm of better eating, weaning off of meds (wellibutin and xanax but no rush..lol)...going back to working out more regularly.

but day to day it seems to get better, keep your chin up, the clouds will clear, winter is almost over!

I have not missed a dose yet, and only took it once in the morning because of falling to sleep.  I haven't really experienced any side effects yet.  I almost wanted to take one at night then in the morning to experience something....but I haven't..

We will see if any of this is working....

I go for my first set of meds tommorrow.

I will post my stats when i get the results next week. 

I will also hope to update to my numbers prior to starting regime.

Thank you for your continued support and if anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 10:33:21 am »

We will see if any of this is working....

As long as there was no resistance to the meds when you started and you are being adherent, it'll work great, you'll see.

It sounds like things are going nicely overall, keep up the good work and keep us posted on your new numbers. ;)

Offline lifegoeson

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 11:45:14 pm »
this is an update from my other post but it contains a general update on me as well.....

placebo effect or what...my Dr. prescribed me "Abilify" to boost up the welibutin.  I felt much better within days of taken, but prior to taken it i was going crazy.  My marriage is stressful and fragile enough without my crazy mood swings.  I got my first labs after being on Atripla for two months.  My CD4 lowered just a bit, but my viral load is much less.  I am not quite undetectable yet, but expect and hope to when i visit my Dr. in 2 weeks. I will say I forget a lot, still get dizzy and switched from taken at night to a morning regime.  I work a lot of night and tended to eat late, thus causing myself to wake nauseous.  I have not been sick since switching, but I still wake up at 4-5 AM everyday It is becoming troublesome.  I have loss a lot of weight as well.  I am 5'7" and now weigh 146lbs, down from 158 a year ago.  I will start to drink more shakes because I do not and can not eat enough.  If any one has any question please do not hesitate to ask. I will update more frequently.

remember...life goes on

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.