Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:48:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: which drugs?  (Read 5161 times)

Offline macv

which drugs?
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:22:02 pm »
Hi all, Hope everybody is well. I have been given 2 optopns
Sustiva and Truvada and when vl gets to u/d Atripla
or
Atazanavir and truvada.
First line therapy
dont know what to pic.
work funky shifts and have top deal with killer time changes although I work part time now.
what do you suggest?
many thanks for your help and love to you all xx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: which drugs?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:35:59 pm »
Mac, they're both good combos. They're both once-a-day dosing. The second combo probably also includes Norvir (ritonavir) as it's used to boost Reyataz.

If you work changing shifts, you may want to go with the Truvada/Reyataz because the Sustiva/Truvada is taken at bedtime to reduce the side-effects of Sustiva.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »
I'm actually on Atripla - no real side effects have the first couple of weeks.
Some vivid dreams.
I'm actually moving the time I take mine up a bit as I am having extra morning grogginess -so doc told me to try that (actually, I suggested it and she agree it would be okay to do, as long as it doesn't make me "woozie" taking it earlier in the eve - which I know it won't because I take it now and stay up sometimes on the weekends)

I agree with Ann that the Truvada/Reyataz may be a better combo to start with...I think some of the little effects associated w/ Atripla are minimal/non-existant w/ that combo.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline macv

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »
Thanks again Ann xxx and phil.
 I think the Atazanavir has got ritonavir with it too. My o/h is on atripla so was wondering if it would be better if we are on the same medicine? Also the HIV nurse told me I could turn yellow taking Atazanavir, now I go on the sunbed anyway but that freaked me out quite a bit. Im allso s**t scared of wasting syndrome, I know its not as prevelent nowadays but still fraks me out. If I take the sustiva/truvada I know that sometimes I will have to take it in the middle of the day/middle of the night depending on where in the world I am or just before I report for my shift. Got an appoint ment soon on the 6th october with the doctor so I'll try and quiz him. Thank you once again much love xxxx

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »
Thanks again Ann xxx and phil.
 I think the Atazanavir has got ritonavir with it too. My o/h is on atripla so was wondering if it would be better if we are on the same medicine? Also the HIV nurse told me I could turn yellow taking Atazanavir, now I go on the sunbed anyway but that freaked me out quite a bit. Im allso s**t scared of wasting syndrome, I know its not as prevelent nowadays but still fraks me out. If I take the sustiva/truvada I know that sometimes I will have to take it in the middle of the day/middle of the night depending on where in the world I am or just before I report for my shift. Got an appoint ment soon on the 6th october with the doctor so I'll try and quiz him. Thank you once again much love xxxx

The yellowing (aka jaundice) associated with Atazanavir is no big deal. It's usually very mild, hardly noticeable and it settles down in a couple of weeks. It's not harmful.

MtD

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »
They both work and are both once a day.

The main side effects of efavirenz relate to the central nervous system. These can include mood changes such as anxiety, euphoria and depression, and sleep disturbance that includes vivid dreams. Most people get them to start, but they usually pass. About 10-20% of people stop efavirenz because of the general effect on their quality of life. Most people find it is best taken on an empty stomach. (though Truvada can make you fart without food...)

The main side effect of atazanavir is production of excess bilirubin. This can make your eyes look a bit yellow. This is common at the start, but not really noticable in most people. This also usually passes. Also, for some people the Norvir booster raises their lipid (blood fat, cholesterol) levels, for maybe 15% of people or so. Must be taken with some food, but can be little eg a sandwich, glass of milk.

Timing wise, once you get undetectable (viral load of below 50 copies) this shouldn't matter on either med (in terms of them working) as long as you take it daily. Atazanavir is probably better in this respect (for various technical reasons).

Also, did they not offer you darunavir? This is a PI like atazanavir, also once a day, but doesn't have the yellowing effect. You might ask and see if it's on the cards.

Choice of drugs should be informed by a resistance test. I trust the clinic has done this...

You might like this UK resource:

i-Base guide to combination therapy
http://i-base.info/guides/starting

I wouldn't worry about the wasting. None of the meds your doc is suggesting are connected with fat loss or fat gain in a big way. This was mainly from old drugs that aren't used so much now (AZT, d4T especially).

Good luck.

- matt

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:19:58 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline macv

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »
Cheers matt, I think Im gonna go for the atazanavir and thanks for the link to I base, I read it every week. Lots of help out there for HIV positive folk. Both here and I base. What a wonderful amount of knowledge I have gleaned from both web sites. Thank you all, your knowledge and compassion are priceless. THANK YOU XXXX

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:11 pm »
You're more than welcome, Mac. The Reyataz/Truvada combo is currently my first choice for when I need to start. Good luck!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 05:44:42 pm »
If you go for the Reyataz, you might want to quit the suntan booth during the first months. I turned yellowish on Reyataz and got away with it cause it was winter and people thought it was a ski tan.

Tan + yellow (if you get it) might be a bit overkill on the coloring!

Personally of my several combos, the sustiva was the worst overall experience - I am in the minority of people who got emotional effects.  But, er, frankly, my poop was never great on the norvir+protease, and I tried two different proteases.  And on Sustiva, then Intelence then Isentress, the digestion is perfect.  Hmmm

Six of one, half dozen of another.  Whatever works for you, you'll find it either sooner, or later.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline macv

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:50:13 pm »
I was all set to start medicine, went to clinic today and they said my cd4 has gone back up from 350 to 550 and my VL has gone down from 6k to 3k.How can this be? my cd4 has been steadily going down for the last 6 months. I was all set in my mind i'd have to start but this is good news I think....

Offline littleprince

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 04:07:56 pm »
Also the HIV nurse told me I could turn yellow taking Atazanavir, now I go on the sunbed anyway

I'd be more worried about the sunbed and getting skin cancer.

LONDON — International cancer experts have moved tanning beds and other sources of ultraviolet radiation into the top cancer risk category, deeming them as deadly as arsenic and mustard gas.

A new analysis of about 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32187497/

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 04:13:59 pm »
went to clinic today and they said my cd4 has gone back up from 350 to 550 and my VL has gone down from 6k to 3k.How can this be?

Maybe your body has decided to kick HIV into the corner for a while. :)

Numbers bounce around. I would want 2-3 tests showing a downward trend before starting combo.

This may be a one off rise tho, don't be disappointed if next time your CD4 count is back round 350. CD4 cells are kinda mobile, going here and there, from blood to spleen to lymph etc. +/- 50-100 on CD4 counts is quite usual.

6k to 3k viral load is basically the same ballpark and can be discounted as a significant change at this point.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.