Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 07:09:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 111
Total: 111

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Broken condom exposure  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Alex06

• Standard
Broken condom exposure
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:10:16 am »
Hi poz community hope this finds you all well. To get to the point had a condom break with a csw late december it was brief as i realised straight away but was completely snapped in half. Nightmare: anyway since then 10 days later i had pressure and abdominal pain urge to urinate was immense thinking i had a uti went to doctor no uti!! Pain continued and the following week i had fever. Getting worried i went for sti checkup all negative including hiv this was 4 weeks after and had a duo test. Since then everything has gotten worse have had swollen cervical lymph nodes in neck under arms and groin, stiff neck waking up with tingly fingers and aching muscles elbows and generally. red gums and throat my doctor has no idea whats going on here. Panicking i have had several tests all duo 28 days 6 weeks and 8 weeks post incident all negative. Its now 11 weeks and still having muscle aches and red gums and swollen painfull nodes. Im at a loss and deeply worried. I have been reading here for a while now but really need some advice 12 weeks test next week!!! I am not confident at all.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Broken condom exposure
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:53:46 am »
Alex, technically you did have a risk with the condom breaking, but it was a very low level one and unlikely to result in transmission. In fact I've never known of a case of transmission happening in that manner. The condon protected you until it broke. It was a single incident and HIV is much harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around. All of which argue against infection having taken place. As do your several negative HIV tests.

Just to be absolutely sure of your negative status it's a good idea to test at 3 months. I expect you to test negative.

Naturally your various symptoms are scaring you. But none of them are HIV specific in anyway. You need to be discussing them with your doctor to find the real cause(s).

I expect you to come out of this ok as far as HIV is concerned.
Andy Velez

Offline Alex06

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:03:00 am »
Hi Andy

Thank you for the quick reply i am trying to stay hopeful, im just sinking under a raft of "symptoms" all seem to be appearing out of no where for no reason.

Losing hair pretty quickly too!! It would seem. I forgot to mention also that i didnt supply the condom so can not validate its efficiency at all. Pretty dumb huh!!

Ill keep my 3rd post for the result of the test next week but i am rather scared to say the least. Again thanks for your reply! Just to clarify a standard antibody test ok at 12 weeks?

Offline Alex06

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:57:02 am »
Dear Andy,Anne

As promised i said i would return with the results of my 12 week (84 day) test, exposure was 20th Dec 13 and i took the test today 14th March 14, i am happy to say that it was Negative using another 4th generation test.

as this is my last post (and im certainly not going to go on after this) i do have a couple of questions if you would be so kind as to try and answer them or provide advice as much as you can or are willing.

1. i had the test today as i said it was a 4th generation test using Roche HIV Combi PT lab stated that this uses an 18 minute cycle on a fully automated immunoassebly analyser (Cobas E411) therefore i had the results back within 2 hours does this sound usual?? these tests have not been done in the US/UK

2. i also had the CSW tested on sunday as well using a standard antibody test which also came back negative this as per the 12 week testing put her negative 5 days before i met her she originated from Ethiopia my question here, should i be satisfied that this test would at 12 weeks pick up all subtypes within this region also.

3. this may sound rediculous i know but the doctor here has stated again that i should test out to 6 months, can i take it from you guys here that he is just totally wrong on this? bearing in mind that i do not have cancer neither do i have any immune disorders or do IV drugs. given what was written in my exposure if it were you in the position would you happily continue with your life knowing that you were HIV free!!

aside from the fact i do need to find out what is actually wrong with me i also did a further syphillis RPR today results pending as i have learnt here that it shares the same window period.

lastly i just want to thank you all for your support in answering questions and dealing with people here daily i appreciate you give so much of im sure your already busy lives to answer peoples doubts and reassure them as much as possible. i very much have learnt from this incident and it will not be repeated. i wish you all a very long and healthy life from reading a lot recently i am sure a functional cure or a full cure will not be too long away!!

thank you again!

Alex  :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »
Congratulations you are HIV negative .

1 . You should trust the test .

2 . Leave the poor woman alone, only your status matters .

3. Three months is the standard the cdc uses and you need not test beyond this date for a conclusive result . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.