Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:47:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 238
Total: 240

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: could use reassurance  (Read 6275 times)

Offline warchuck

could use reassurance
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:36:54 am »
is there any reason to doubt negative test results from a home access test when the exposure was in thailand?

i have tested negative 5 months after exposure in thailand and got a negative result,would this test pick up antibodies from a subtype(a/e in particular)?

the reason i ask is because my partner has had symptoms and i do not know what to make of them.

-tonsilitus 2 months after our first sexual encounter when i got back from thailand.

-complained of headache,abdominal pain,rash under armpits 3 weeks after that.mouth sore as well.

- then a couple weeks after that had fever,severe joint  pain and night sweat for 2 days.

do these symptoms sound like that of hiv infection?wouldnt she have moved into the asymptomatic phase of infection?does everyone go through that phase or would they continue to show symptoms like this?

Offline RapidRod

Re: 2nd generation testing in asia
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:49:40 am »
Your test is conclusive. You are HIV negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:40:47 am »
At 13 weeks or more any generation of HIV test will give you an accurate result. So yes, your HIV test at 5 months is a reliable negative result.

There is nothing HIV-specific about your partner's symptoms. If they persist he/she should see a doctor. 
Andy Velez

Offline warchuck

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:42 pm »
At 13 weeks or more any generation of HIV test will give you an accurate result. So yes, your HIV test at 5 months is a reliable negative result.

There is nothing HIV-specific about your partner's symptoms. If they persist he/she should see a doctor. 

thanks alot andy.you really are a good man and i appreciate what you do.

alot of other forums mods believe that no one had a risk,and they do not give any reasons why they came to their conclusion.

is this common for peoples partners to show symptoms like this?im sure you get it all the time(or atleast i hope so).

i think its because im waiting for a symptom,i would have probably never noticed if i  didnt do what i did.

so in your professional opinion-do you think its necessary for me to level with my partner and have him get an hiv test?just to be sure?or is it really not necessary given my test results?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:11 pm »
Reread the replies you were given. You don't have HIV. You have a conclusive negative test result.

Offline warchuck

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:32:12 pm »
Reread the replies you were given. You don't have HIV. You have a conclusive negative test result.

are you a mod here teak?

i was talking to andy,i respectfully request if you would stay in your thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:29:39 am »
Chuck,

While Rodney isn't a moderator, he IS permitted to reply to threads in this forum. If you don't like that you can always find another forum.

Unless you and your partner have tested hiv negative together, you should be using condoms. Just because you are hiv negative doesn't mean he is.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Take your symptoms to a doctor. Whatever is going on (and regardless of your partner's hiv status), you do NOT have hiv and therefore hiv is not causing your symptoms.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline warchuck

could use reassurance
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:10:36 pm »
i started a thread a few weeks back about me worrying that i gave my partner hiv.

partner had tonsilitus,armpit rash,body aches and night sweats(not all at the same time).

well,the lastest symtpom my partner has is a single boil(painless)on inner thigh for about two weeks has caused me to buckle and level on the fact that i did cheat.

it was recommended that i come clean a while ago,and that would fix the problem of underlying guilt.
no such luck.

i dont get it.i had a blood elisa test at 45 days,oraquick hiv1/2 at 3 months,home acces hiv 1 test @ 4th,5th,and 6th month.why is he showing symptoms?!ive been with him fo r9 years and he's neve rhad anythin other than a could and the flu a couple times.

we're going for his hiv test on wednesday,wish us luck.

some words of  encouragemnent would help so much!

Offline RapidRod

Re: could use reassurance
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:14:46 pm »
You need to return to your original thread. Take the time to read the posting guidelines that are in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:31:22 pm »
Chuck,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Whatever is going on with your partner has absolutely NOTHING to do with your hiv status. YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV.

If your partner tests positive next week he didn't get if from you. YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline warchuck

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:07:30 pm »
You need to return to your original thread. Take the time to read the posting guidelines that are in the "Welcome" thread.

i guess +1 to your post count,teak.yet another thread you post in without ANY useful information on the topic at hand.

sorry ann,i'll be sure to continue in my original thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:15:06 pm »
Chuck,

What does it matter what Rodney posts in your thread as you don't seem to bother to read the responses?

I've told you that I merged your thread - and I did so nearly 30 minutes before you posted to complain about Rodney again.

Please re-read your entire merged thread. Our answers are not going to change.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV therefore you could not possibly have infected your partner.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline warchuck

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 11:47:08 pm »
Chuck,

What does it matter what Rodney posts in your thread as you don't seem to bother to read the responses?

I've told you that I merged your thread - and I did so nearly 30 minutes before you posted to complain about Rodney again.

Please re-read your entire merged thread. Our answers are not going to change.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV therefore you could not possibly have infected your partner.

ann,

i personally dont give a shit if i get banned.i saw where you moved my thread.hence why i apologized.

the fact is that rod acts like  a douche.he continues to post in threds where he is clearly not wanted.

ban me if you want to.i do value your opinion and andy's.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 11:54:43 pm »
Chuck,

Call other members here names again and you won't just be given a 28 day Time Out, you'll be permanently banned. Like I told you the first time you complained about Rod, if you don't like who is authorised to answer questions in this forum, you're free to go elsewhere.

BTW, I'm sorry I misread you when you said "sorry ann,i'll be sure to continue in my original thread." I took that to mean you didn't realise you were in your merged thread, which contained the original thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline warchuck

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:02:42 am »
Chuck,

Call other members here names again and you won't just be given a 28 day Time Out, you'll be permanently banned. Like I told you the first time you complained about Rod, if you don't like who is authorised to answer questions in this forum, you're free to go elsewhere.

BTW, I'm sorry I misread you when you said "sorry ann,i'll be sure to continue in my original thread." I took that to mean you didn't realise you were in your merged thread, which contained the original thread.

Ann

ann,

i didnt call him a douche,i just stated he has the characteristics of one.
im not really concerned about being banned.if i really wanted to come back i could under a new screen name.
i guess you could ip ban me,but that really wouldnt do much considering im at a public computer.

i just wanted information.apparently thats too much to ask.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:04 am »
Chuck,

You've been given information.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV. YOU ARE CONCLUSIVELY HIV NEGATIVE.

I'm banning you permanently for threatening to come back with a new screen name, something that is clearly against our rules.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.