Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:49:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Triglycerides  (Read 7696 times)

Offline BlueJ

Triglycerides
« on: August 09, 2006, 02:05:41 am »
My triglycerides are high.  Really high, above 500.  All my other tests are fine, standard cholesterol tests, blood pressure, etc.

I'm not sure of the numbers in the past, but I know they have always been high.  I remember having blood tests 13 years ago before I was poz and being told they were high.

I have been on meds for 1.5 years now and after having been told my triglycerides are high at every visit, my doctor has now cut down my Norvir to one pill.  From what I gather in the Lessons section, this triglyceride issues may be a result of PIs.  I'm assuming this change is to lessen the "boost."

I did some reading online and get mixed results.  All sites seem to say high tyiglycerides are not good, but also seem to say that it goes hand-in-hand with high "bad cholesterol" which I don't have.  Then I found a reference to "metabolic syndrome x" referring to people that have high triglycerides without high cholesterol whos tissues don't respond normally to insulin.  (and let me say, if I'm going to have any syndrome, at least that's got a great name)

So I'm hoping others can relate any experience with their own triglycerides.  Should I assume this med change will have a positive effect, should I mention this syndrome X at my next visit?  Since my triglyerides have always been high should I not really worry about it?  Knowing that I'm a big guy (40 lbs overweight) should I assume this is more weight related than med related?

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
Re: Triglycerides
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:26:47 am »
What meds are you on?

When I was on Kaletra, mine went to 900+.  After two weeks on reyataz with a norvir boost (1 pill) they dropped back to 160ish and have stayed there ever since.

The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline BlueJ

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:11:19 pm »
What meds are you on?

When I was on Kaletra, mine went to 900+.  After two weeks on reyataz with a norvir boost (1 pill) they dropped back to 160ish and have stayed there ever since.

I am on Epzicom, Viread, Lexiva and Norvir (now 1 pill instead of 2).

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:47:26 am »
My triglycerides were 1600+ on Kaletra and dropped to 400 when I went off it.

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:16:38 pm »
BlueJ,

I'm on the one pill reg. (Sustiva, veread, Emtriva) and my triglycerides have been up to 600 but typically in the 400's.  Since my last test I have been watching what I eat and working out like a fiend.  Hopefully this will make a difference.  We'll see after the next test.

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:50:11 am »
Mine were a mere 190 and they made me see an endocrinologist, It was a waste of time.
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 06:47:52 pm »
Mine went up to 1800 after beginning on my new meds which are Fuzeon, Aptivus and Norvir. Meds always make them go high but not that much. I started taking Tricor and now they are at 300. Still a little bit high but stuck on this medicine which always works well for me without sacrificing my hiv meds. I am not overweight, so I don't know if this has anything to do in your case. Ask your doc about Tricor. ::)
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline babygirl17844

• trying to lose the gut and get back in shape
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 02:18:28 pm »
yea Kaletra is know to drive them trygliserides up I think I was like at 1500 myself on it. they also told me that Kaletra can also make a person diabetic, thank goodness it didnt do it to me.

Offline poobear

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:27:38 pm »
Hi Blue,
       I know I am late in responding but hopefully you get this. This past January my tryglicerides spiked up to 2170 and cholesterol 428.  That was after I started combination of Ziagen, Reytaz, Norvir, and VidexEC.  The doctor than reduced me to 1 Norvir instead of 2.  My last check was 7/06 and Triyglicerides  607 cholesterol 227.  The doctor just put me on Tricor and Pravastatin sodium.  Have not had repeat labs yet.  From my understanding the high results come from the medicine, I also believe some of it is hereditary.  I have an appointment to see cardiologist at the end of the month.  If I find out any other info I will post it.  Good luck with everything.  Rachel

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 02:04:44 am »
AN issue with me too.
All I know is my good cholesterol is 44 and bad went from my normal of 100 to 198 last labs.
Doc said to eat better and exercise more. I bike ride a lot so i cant see fitting in more exercise. 17 miles twice a week is a lot of biking.

What I want to know, is my doc said he might put me on something for the cholesterol if the next labs are still near the same with cholesterol levels.
But from searches on cholesterol here, I see many have bad problems with anti cholesterol drugs.
What kind of problems???
Is there one cholesterol lowering drug better than others???
I hate to think of adding another med into the mix, but i dont want to have cholesterol problems either.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Gary

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 09:57:49 pm »
Hi,
My Triglycerides were high which is bad as I have pancreatitis, my diet was high in sugar as I was eating everything I liked to keep the weight on.  I was drinking about 2 litres of coke/pop every day and eating a lot of chocolate.  I don't drink alcohol (which is driving me mad), now I only drink diet pop/soda and chocolate is a treat (ok every other day).  My latest bloods showed my triglycerides were much better, but I've also lost quite a bit of weight as the sugar is missing from my diet.  I'm on combivir and sustiva.

Offline inmontreal

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 01:23:27 pm »
i wonder if anyones Triglycerides stayed normal or didnt change while they were on Kaletra

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.