Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:02:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 303
Total: 306

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Can I Move Forward  (Read 3147 times)

Offline RUSH

Can I Move Forward
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »
My GF of the past 6 years, wanted to take a break from the relationship over the past Summer, around August. Was pretty down during that time, and made a stupid mistake and had Unprotected Vaginal Sex with a girl that I know. She's been with a fair amount of partners, and I knew that going in. The sex was no more than 20 minutes, with no ejaculation, but there was blood present, as she was on her period and didn't mention it to after we where done and I noticed the blood.

Got back with my GF on at the end of October and went back to are normal sexual practices. But rumors started to swirl that the girl I had the one time sex with was indedd HIV+(Planned Parenthood had been calling her at her old adress she moved out of state.

Don't remeber the exact date of the sex, but it was no later than Oct 17, she moved out of state.

1. Tested Dec 24th/Jan 14th/Feb 1st at Planned Parenthood with the Uni Gold Rapid HIV Test, all negative. But to this day stiill suffering from a rash, white tounge, joint pain, and a general run down feeling.

2. GF refuses to test because she says she's fine, and if I don't have anything neither does she, both where tested when we got together.

3. I smoke cigarettes and drink a little, and in the past(College-5+ years ago I experimented with Drugs, NEVER IV DRUGS.

4. Bottom line I just want to know if I can put this all behind me, or if past drug use, and my current smoking and drinking could make me test out longer. This is the only time I've ever had unprotected sex outside of a commited relationship and I feel like a idiot.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I Move Forward
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:18:34 pm »
It appears to me if I am reading you correctly that your HIV test was done at more than 13 weeks past that unprotected incident. If I am understanding that correctly then your negative result is reliable and conclusive.

Whatever is going on with you physically is something that you ought to be discussing with your doctor. I don't see any basis on which to think it has anything to do with HIV.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline RUSH

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:22:47 pm »
Thanks~!

Yea, Oct 17th was the last possible date that the risky exposure could of happened. Was just looking for some reassurance, because the counselor at Planned Parenthood, mentioned that 97% would test positive by 3 months and the other 3% by 6 months. Also was just worried that past drug use 5+ years ago would affect the reliability of my tests.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:39:14 pm »
You don't meet the group that may need to test longer. Your 3 month test was conclusive.

Offline RUSH

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:25 pm »
According to the Doctors on MedHelp, it turns out rapid test are only 85% reliable based on some sort of new research. I'm in a hizzy again because of this, because all 3 test I took where unigold rapid based. Is it necessary for me at this point to get a lab based test to rule out infection, or where my 3 tests enough.

Also if this is the case won't all those test loose there FDA approval. I know no test can be 100%, but 85% is a hell of a way off from 99.9%

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »
We cannot account for what is said on other websites.

The scientific evidence for the reliability of modern HIV antibody tests is pretty strong and I would take issue with your unreferenced assertion about rapid tests being "85% reliable".

From what I can tell you had an approved test performed in an appropriate clinical setting after the expiration of the window period. Your result is conclusive, you are HIV negative.

If you have issues with this, you should discuss them with a doctor. We do not permit people to post endlessly about such things. Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.