Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 376
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Roche Abandons HIV Research  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Roche Abandons HIV Research
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:37:49 pm »
Sounds bad, but I'm not too worried about it.

Read why in my blog post about it here:
http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2008/07/roche_abandons.html

If you comment in this thread, I encourage you to cut & paste the same at the bottom of the blog page.

Thanks!

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: Roche Abandons HIV Research
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:30:57 pm »
After this article I have read recently, come this news.

In the same time, as a "newly" infected person, I haven't follow-up in the last past years how well is going the research.
I just know from what I have read since few months that there are a lot of interesting research, trials, etc..
(OPAL, VRX496, TAT, 273 proteins inventory, GeoVax, HIV shortcut to reproduce, etc.)

I am wondering if compared to prior, if this amount of new good news are higher, same or lower than what ever before 2007.

Thanks for sharing,
John

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:49:30 pm »
John -- as far as the pipeline is concerned, I'd agree with Paul Dalton's analysis (see the link he provided.. it's well worth reading) -- compared to recent history, it's pretty skimpy.  We had a burst of new drugs hit the market over the last two years, so when they were in the pipeline, it was more flush than I had seen it previously.

That said, I remember that in years past, the pipeline could look skimpy at times, and then it would start to fill up again.  It has ebbs and flows, like everything.

I do think you give far too much weight to pinning your hopes on compounds in early development.  You'll find that old farts like me, and most other AIDS treatment activists, have learned the hard way how to keep those promising press releases and phase I trials in perspective.  The vast majority never pan out.

The worst thing you can do is to start championing an early compound, drumming up a false sense of hope before the cake has actually been baked (in a controlled clinical trial).  I'm not saying ignore them -- that would be equally lazy.  But look at them with a healthy dose of scientific skepticism.  Follow them, ask questions about them, report on them, but don't start a fan club for them before they've proven themselves.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:56:59 pm »
Amen, sista.

ps:  I can't personally hate on Roche, because Fuzeon was the first thing to suppress my viral load (though they fucked me up the ass with Hivid and that first formulation of Invirase which I'm convinced made me resistant very early to the entire class of PIs).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:02:17 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:36:09 am »
Hi Peter,

I can only listen but you know me a bit now uh ?

I know that what you are saying is true. 
On the other side, in sciences, discoveries (theoretical or not) are exponentials.
So should be the good news.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.