Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:31:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 506
Total: 507

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: swollen lymph gland in my neck  (Read 4945 times)

Offline ATLpozbrother

• I'm Sick and tired of being Sick and tired.
swollen lymph gland in my neck
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:02:40 pm »
I'm currently nearing my 60th  day of treatment (Gilead clinical trial for the Quad Pill). I'm currently experiencing swollen lymph glands on the left side of my neck and under my chin.  This started last Thursday, but I assumed it was swollen lymph glands due to my current sinus issue.  I'm taking my meds daily, and dont understand why this is happening.  My CD4 count is 153, but has risen from below 50, VL is in the 400s and has dropped from 440K.  This issue has really gotten me down, I cannot focus and fear the lymph gland will swell even more.  I'm so tired at this point, I could just scream.  My next appointment with my doctor is in about a week or a little more, I may have to go into my doctor's office before this date.  Just scared and dont know what's causing this since I am on a pretty strong treatment regin.  Down and Out, and alone in ATL....I guess I will be fine at some point...God willing.  First dry skin, now this....I'm so physically tired and mentally drained.  :'(  Please help!!
10/11 cd4 23, VL 125000-hospitalized PCP
1/12 started Gilead vaccine trial-The Quad Pill
1/12 cd4 40,   2% VL 445,000
2/12 cd4 153, 6% VL 43
3/12 cd4 248, 8%  VL 1023
4/12 cd4 215          VL 99
4/22 cd4 208, 8%  VL undetectable.
5/12 cd4 168, 9%  VL undetectable
9/12 cd4 176, 10% VL undetectable

Offline weasel

Re: swollen lymph gland in my neck
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:19 pm »

Hi   PozBrother ,

You say you are tired . 

Sometimes  my  lymph glands swell &  hurt  :'(

When I over do  working and get too tired I feel it !

Maybe you need to learn to adjust to what you can do and not do .

I listen to my body , Sometimes it is hard .

Be well   , Weasel  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:33:30 am »
Give it time.

You may be experiencing some immune reconstitution.  Especially beginning treatment with such a low cd4 count as you did. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline ATLpozbrother

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:03:31 am »
Immune reconstitution? Could you provide some details on this?  I do feel that I may need to try to slow down, I have a busy job as a senior manager, and I am trying to stay in the gym to keep myself healty, and I'm a single Dad of a girl/boy; I guess I dont have much of a choice but to stay busy. But would stress cause swollen glands?  I was in the hospital with PCP for 6 days, once released placed on long term Bactrim/Prenisone (HORRIBLE MEDS), couldn't tolerate the large dose Bactrim after nearly 3 months of daily dosage, so now I am on Dapsone as a preventive for PCP. Physically I look fine, but now I have two swollen lymph glands on my kneck and unsure why it's occuring. Should I be resting more?  Thanks for this forum, I have no one to talk to about this issue or how it impacts me....
2/12 cd4 153, 6% VL 43

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:23:52 am »
Immune reconstitution? Could you provide some details on this?  I do feel that I may need to try to slow down, I have a busy job as a senior manager, and I am trying to stay in the gym to keep myself healty, and I'm a single Dad of a girl/boy; I guess I dont have much of a choice but to stay busy. But would stress cause swollen glands?  I was in the hospital with PCP for 6 days, once released placed on long term Bactrim/Prenisone (HORRIBLE MEDS), couldn't tolerate the large dose Bactrim after nearly 3 months of daily dosage, so now I am on Dapsone as a preventive for PCP. Physically I look fine, but now I have two swollen lymph glands on my kneck and unsure why it's occuring. Should I be resting more?  Thanks for this forum, I have no one to talk to about this issue or how it impacts me....

Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) occurs in some people who have started treatment from a very low CD4 count level. As the virus is suppressed by your medications and your immune function returns you can start getting ill as your newly active immune system responds to any bugs and things lurking in your system.

IRIS is something that needs to be diagnosed and managed by your doctor.

Please note that I am not saying you have IRIS.

Many things could be making you feel ill. Your medications, other infections or even just the virus itself.

Offline ATLpozbrother

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:37 am »
I think like two people who have responded I may have IRIS.  My skin is all dry like an alligotor, I just feel like bugs are crawling on me sometimes...it feels like my body is battling it out with this AIDS.  I have read that prednisone (cortisteroid) may help.  I have some prednisone from my bought with PCP, do you think its ok to take two daily as the directions state?  I look healthy, but I feel tired, dry skin, and now these swollen lymphs came out of no where overnight. I just want to get better. My meds are fine, they have pushed down the VL to the 400s, and raised my CD4 to 150 from less than 50.
2/12 cd4 153, 6% VL 43

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:41:12 am »
I think like two people who have responded I may have IRIS.  My skin is all dry like an alligotor, I just feel like bugs are crawling on me sometimes...it feels like my body is battling it out with this AIDS.  I have read that prednisone (cortisteroid) may help.  I have some prednisone from my bought with PCP, do you think its ok to take two daily as the directions state?  I look healthy, but I feel tired, dry skin, and now these swollen lymphs came out of no where overnight. I just want to get better. My meds are fine, they have pushed down the VL to the 400s, and raised my CD4 to 150 from less than 50.

You should not alter the dosage of your prednisone without speaking to your doctor. This is very important. Prednisone can have gruesome side effects and it may well be what is making you feel so ill right now.

Increasing the dose could exacerbate your symptoms and cause other more serious side effects. It will also depress your CD4 count.

I strongly recommend you seek medical advice, especially before fiddling with your prednisone dosage.

If it's any comfort, I've taken pred too and I know of what I speak. ;)

MtD

Offline ATLpozbrother

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:02 am »
Thanks so much for your expert advice.  You have convinced me to call my doctor's office today.  I'm currently not on prednisone, just have lots of it due to long term treatment of PCP.  My doctor told me to stop taking when the pcp went away, and said not to take it because the prednisone depress the CD4 count.  I just want to get better and not walk around with a 3 inch knot on my neck.  I will call today, thanks so much.
2/12 cd4 153, 6% VL 43

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.