Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 10:04:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 139
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: FOOT PAIN,HIV related??  (Read 21652 times)

Offline dingowarrior

FOOT PAIN,HIV related??
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:39 am »
hi all,
I've been having severe foot pain, I know this is a dumb question, and the only reason I'm asking is because I saw a add in a local paper saying "if you have foot pain and are HIV pos." ect,ect.

Has anyone else experince foot pain?

dingowarrior

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: FOOT PAIN,HIV related??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:38:35 am »
Hi Dingo,

Can you describe the pain? Is it pins and needles, joint pain, aching?

The foot pain associated with hiv and/or the meds usually starts out as a pins and needles type of pain. This is because it's caused by damage to the nerves, so it feels electrical in nature. The meds you're on are not, to my knowledge, ones that are known for causing PN (Peripheral Neuropathy).

PN also tends to be bilateral - it happens on both sides. You don't say if one or both feet hurt.

Also, as you're on meds and your numbers weren't too bad when you started, it's unlikely to be caused by the virus itself. You've been undetectable for ages now, right? (yes, I looked at your posting history ;) )

It sounds like something you need to talk with a doctor about. Could be something like gout.

Ann
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:40:06 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline veritas

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:45:58 am »
Dingo,

Could the pain in your foot be a fracture? Viread is known to cause bone problems and possibly foot fractures. An X-ray should help.

veritas

http://www.natap.org/

When you open link click on more hiv news until you see the study.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:54:43 am by veritas »

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:53:56 am »
Hi Dingo,

Can you describe the pain? Is it pins and needles, joint pain, aching?

The foot pain associated with hiv and/or the meds usually starts out as a pins and needles type of pain. This is because it's caused by damage to the nerves, so it feels electrical in nature. The meds you're on are not, to my knowledge, ones that are known for causing PN (Peripheral Neuropathy).

PN also tends to be bilateral - it happens on both sides. You don't say if one or both feet hurt.

Also, as you're on meds and your numbers weren't too bad when you started, it's unlikely to be caused by the virus itself. You've been undetectable for ages now, right? (yes, I looked at your posting history ;) )

It sounds like something you need to talk with a doctor about. Could be something like gout.

Ann

Yes Ann, I've been undetectable for about 3 years now..diagnosed with cd4 120, my last appointment my cd4 was in the mid 400's.
Actually my right foot hurts more than my left...though both DO ache.
NO pins and needles though,just bad aches at the arch of my right foot...and also the arche of my left (right arch is worse)
It kind of feels as if I've been standing for days at a time with no rest. The wierd thing is when I'm OFF my feet it seems thats when the pain really kicks in,when I walk around ,its not as bad....
For those who dont know I'm on Atripla.
Thanks for your replies,any more will be greatly appreciated.
In the mean time I'll schedule an appointment with a foot doctor for X RAYS,
But please,keep the replies coming especially those with similar experince.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:14:26 am by dingowarrior »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:03:10 am »
HIV+ since May. On HAART since August. Foot pain after two months on HAART. Mild, but never had it before. Heels mostly, both. Feels exactly like you said - like I've been standing up on a hard floor all day. At the moment, its noticeable but I'm just trying to ignore it.  Its not pins and needles. I have achy forearms too, and thats new, since I went on HAART.  Like you, I notice these aches when i am resting. I have normal energy and normal strength and don't notice it as much when Im active.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:04:43 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 11:10:34 am »
HIV+ since May. On HAART since August. Foot pain after two months on HAART. Mild, but never had it before. Heels mostly, both. Feels exactly like you said - like I've been standing up on a hard floor all day. At the moment, its noticeable but I'm just trying to ignore it.  Its not pins and needles. I have achy forearms too, and thats new, since I went on HAART.  Like you, I notice these aches when i am resting. I have normal energy and normal strength and don't notice it as much when Im active.

The thing with me mecch,
I've been on HAART for about 3 years now...I've had this foot issue for about 6 to 8 months...no other pains though....just foot.
Its interesting that you said that it hurts LESS when your active,much like my situation.I wonder if something is up and there is a relation between this and HIV and or HAART....

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:46:44 pm »
The thing with me mecch,
I've been on HAART for about 3 years now...I've had this foot issue for about 6 to 8 months...no other pains though....just foot.
Its interesting that you said that it hurts LESS when your active,much like my situation.I wonder if something is up and there is a relation between this and HIV and or HAART....
Well since I'm probably more or less undetectable by this week, and it seems you are too, I can't imagine these weird feelings being HIV, I'm sure it must be HAART.  Reading what has happened with LTS and earlier ARV medicine, and the severe PN some have had, its hardly worth complaining.

I've been riding my bike a lot this week to prepare for 2 weeks skiing and exercise seems to further decrease the feelings when I'm resting.  Yep, I feel nothing when I'm active. Typing this, relaxing, I have ringing ears, and tingly arms.

Maybe lots of fresh air and exercise is a good solution.

Have a Merry Xmas!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 11:59:42 pm »
I have had PN for several years and had a very hard time walking.  I was a patient at an HIV Clinic which did not have an ID doc and the symptoms were at a loss for the Nurse and my medical records were signed off by a doctor, I had never met, Medical and Medicare were billed $12,000 for 1 month.  I moved to Sonoma County and was diagnosed with PN and Restless Leg Syndrome.  I was in pain by day and had a difficult time sleeping.  I started propping my feet up, higher than my heart and could sleep.  My ID doc changed my meds and said the PN would heal but would take a long time.

Three years later...
I asked doc to define "a long time" and we did some more tests and found Osteopenia.  I have been taking Trizivir and Sustiva, changed from Requip to Gabapentin for the PN and had been taking Vioxx for awhile but outlived that doc and stopped.  I also got Simvastatin and Lisinopril for blood pressure and Cholesterol.  My job is to take pills.

Last Summer, I was at a park in San Francisco and could not walk uphill 5 blocks to my friends house.  We flagged a cab and he pushed me into Physical Therapy. Now, with regular exercise, stretching routines and a whole bunch of pills, I can almost walk without pain and actually get from point A to Point B.  He promised a strenuous hike this Spring in the Yosemite Wilderness area of the park.  I will be ready.

During all of these years, I maintained a CD 4 count between 350 and 450 with an undetectable VL (10 years).  My numbers were not of concern for the Nurse at the old clinic or the MD who signed off on my medical reports.  My recommendation... No matter what your numbers are, keep on the medical staff for any pain related issues.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline dapperden33

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:37:35 am »
In the last few months my arches in both my feet ache too.  It is okay when I walking around and on them but when I get up in the morning or rest them for awhile and sometimes if I stand for a lenthly time the pain is almost unbearable.  I have found if I massage and do alittle deep pressure points on them before I sleep it doesn't hurt as much.  Also, I'm wondering if it could be my shoes, when I wear Merrills it's not too bad. I plan on asking my doctor about this too.  He knows that I have a numbness on the balls and big toe areas on both feet, but he didn't think it was anything. 
So I just rub and do pressure points at night and it is very painful but it does feel better later.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:54 am »
I'm definately going t mention this foot pain to mt ID doctor.Perhaps he' heard of this.

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 02:32:36 pm »
I get pain in both my feet mainly the ankles and tendons no pins or needles just aches and sometimes it is hard to walk, i feel most of the pain i believe it is call your achillies tendon the most and had a couple of toenails fall off-nothing i cant live with
Buzz ♥

Offline livingpos

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 03:55:18 pm »
Plantar fascitis - I have the same kind of pain in the arches of my feet and limp for the first 15 minutes of every morning, its gets better during the day but never goes away. Its not the numbing or tingling of PN, its strain on the arch muscles from standing too much...I am a teacher.

Google and see if it makes sense of what you;re experiencing.

Good luck
JOnathan

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 06:39:47 pm »
Peripheral Neuropathy (PN) and I are old "friends" since 2000.  I had no idea what it was at that time but know that the virus has caused my PN since I was diagnosed in September 2001.  The damage was done long before I started HAART.

I best describe the pain as walking on broken glass with an occasional nail thrown in for an extra jolt.  I also have no refexes in my ankles, suffer from "foot drop" and walk with an uneven gait.  A cane helps to keep me stable on my pegs.

Hope my take offers another take on foot pain and HIV.

With greatest respect, Ric
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:49:32 pm by Ric Wilke »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.