Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:55:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 4th Generation Tests  (Read 99242 times)

Offline fred

Re: 4th Generation Tests
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2006, 03:25:36 pm »
Hi Ann.

Sorry to come back. I'm almost there but just not quite.

I am seeing a therapist to help me come to terms with my behaviour (guilt/fear etc.) and it's going well albeit slowly.

I still suffer from various "symptoms";

Groin irritatation/infection
Spotty back/sore broken skin
Lingering chestiness from a cold.

It would greatly help me if you could confirm that there is not even the slightest possibility that these could be HIV related and that if there was one iota of doubt in your minds, you would tell me of such a doubt ?

It seems so difficult in the face of "symptoms" laced with remorse, guilt and fear to believe in the conclusivety of testing and that, at the risk of being offensive, you would not let pride stand in the way of a "I don't know".

I realise how ungrateful that sounds and I'm sorry. I guess that illustrates the state I'm in.

Fred

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2006, 04:21:57 pm »
You are still negative and I hope you do not plan on coming back to this forum and starting all over again.

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2006, 08:02:56 pm »
 hey fred i can feel your pain bro!!!!!!!! im in the same vote and at 9 weeks i had a reactive mei and neg p24 and neg wbt then at 15 weeks i had the exact same results bro! i also have the tonge symptoms that wont go away and did start at the 1 month period! now my two kids and wife have the same ulcers on the inside of there cheeks and im scared shittless. the experts all say im neg but what the hell is the elisa say pos when the wbt wont pick up the rest?   
Your quite right Rod, it is not FDA approved.

It is used to aid diagnosis though, even if not FDA approved.

My fear is that my body is either not producing antibodies, or not in sufficient quantity, or speedily enough for detection via standard ELISA at 15 weeks.

That fear has deep rooted, probably irrational causes. However, I have to;

a) either prove my fear wrong or
b) accept my fear and live with the doubt

Because of the nature of this disease, i.e. infectious it seems intolerable and irresponsible to live with the doubt.

That is why I went in search of the DNA-PCR, which would prove that, whatever is, or is not, going on with antibodies, I either have, or have not, acquired HIV.

I know this probably seems weak to you, I infer that from your frustration in your posts to me, but I cannot, in a single moment, change from being the person I am, to the person I would like to be.

Fred.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2006, 08:45:17 pm »
LOVELIFE, keep all your additional thoughts and questions in your own thread. You have no business posting in other people's threads. 

Offline fred

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2006, 01:32:24 am »
Lovelife,

Whilst I appreciate your sympathy, I am actually seeking responses from people who know about HIV.

Fred

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2006, 01:40:45 am »
And we've already answered your questions, Fred. Just work with your therapist. We can't help you any further.

MtD

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2006, 08:15:09 pm »
hey im not saying they dont there stuff they truly do but i just spoke to the maple leaf medical clinic and they have told me that with two reactive screens that i will for sure test pos with this next test also since i have had lesions on my tongue i month since the exposure that just wont go away doc says it is geographic tongue! ive never had this before. you will be alright i wont be but all i can do know is hope and prey that a vaccine or cure will be here one day like everyone else! hey rapid do you like boxer dogs? i have two!!!     
Lovelife,

Whilst I appreciate your sympathy, I am actually seeking responses from people who know about HIV.

Fred

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2006, 08:16:53 pm »
Hey LoveLife,

Is there something in "STAY IN YOUR OWN DAMN THREAD" that you have difficulty understanding?

MtD

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2006, 08:23:19 pm »
Hey LoveLife,

Is there something in "STAY IN YOUR OWN DAMN THREAD" that you have difficulty understanding?

MtD
sorry i just thought id give my two cents while im still considered hiv neg. ill be moving down to just tested poz soon! sorry matty hey wheres your other cat pick it was hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2006, 08:31:42 pm »
sorry i just thought id give my two cents while im still considered hiv neg. ill be moving down to just tested poz soon! sorry matty hey wheres your other cat pick it was hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, you are just unspeakable.

MtD

Offline fred

« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2006, 08:56:35 pm »
Ditto, who exactly are you helping lovelife, who are you considering ?

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2006, 01:37:05 am »
hello darkness my old friend.

following on from lovelifes unfortunate diagnosis, i am concerned that my similar symptoms could be an ominous sign.

it's now 19 weeks post exposure and i have a cold.

runny nose, sore throat, chestiness & cough as well as geographic tongue.

if lovelife's incredible story can result in a positive, couldn't mine ?

can my cold be late onset ARS ?

Should I retest ?

p.s. seeing a therapist on Friday.
hey listen freddy boy my story is the real deal and nobody wants to help me or buy it but listen i feel your pain and trust me my situation is 1000000 times worse then you! i have had a 9 week and 15 week test with reactive elisias but neg p24 and neg wbt why im not seroconverting yet is beyound me i wish i could say that i had a neg pcr im just to afraid to do one! good luck

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2006, 01:53:58 am »
fred all my tests have been 4th gen and they are looking for hiv 1 and 2 and im not here to scare you or piss people off but if you want to quote my name in your threads im gonna write back and thats not hijacking not at all.  anyone who thinks my stroy is a shame can go to hell because im truley scared to test poz and like you my friend if my mouth symptoms would have gone away i would never be writing to this day! they have not gone and i am still waiting for my 5 month test to come back which im very scared. the funny thing here is im just writing to tell how i feel and all theses men and woman are so quick to jump down on my writing. listen freddy if i didnt have a reactive elisa at 15 weeks then i would be going to the home plate but i didnt so here i stand with two reactive elisas and two neg p24 and two neg wbt but the worst part of it all is over here in toronto canada the lab says im inconclusive. fucked up tongue that isnt healing on its own and sores on the cheeks that come and go in 24hours should i still be scared i fuckn think so but i due listen to what others say about me being neg but if i was truly neg why the reactive elisa when i have tested neg for every other thing out there! i really want to hiv neg so i can come back here and say thanks for the time out which sucked and also to thank those who were right from the beginning but the worst part of all freddy boy is i almost want to test poz just to show all the guys and gals that i was only rreaching out for help and answers as to how this could have happened to me? this is a great site but when quick remaks are made like ...your neg... get mental help.... i mean come on this is someones life were talking about! i put myself in the postion to get hiv not my wife or anyone else just like you did so when we really want answers we truly hope that they are the write ones for us. i prey everynight that what all have said about me being neg comes true and for you i wish the same but god gave us a dick and the dick is what makes it stick! love ya bro and hey keep using my name in your threads and ill talk to you soon!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2006, 03:14:32 am »
Lovelife, stay out of other peoples threads. How many times do you have to be told?

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2006, 03:16:33 am »
hey rapid cut me some slack okay! the guy used my name so i thought i would say some things! come on man trust me for once really bro!!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2006, 03:17:35 am »
Please do not post questions that you have about your own concerns in another person's thread. This is called thread hijacking and we do not encourage this practice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:54:45 am by RapidRod »

Offline fred

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2006, 03:57:13 am »
I have read that there are some people who do not test positive despite being infected; even after the 3 month window period.

Many people give personal testament to this... are they all lying ?

As always it is persistent symptoms that is driving me into deep depression and fear.

I still Geographic tongue and now also late recovery from a cold (chestiness and cough (PCP ??), Big painful spots on my back and fungal infection in groin.

Please help me gain some perspective on these symptoms...

Can they all be stress related ?

Fred
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 05:23:51 am by fred »

Offline fred

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2006, 01:47:53 pm »
I have read that there are some people who do not test positive despite being infected; even after the 3 month window period and even when they are not immuno-compromised.

Many people give personal testament to this... are they all lying ?

As always it is persistent symptoms that is driving me into deep depression and fear.

I still have painful Geographic tongue and now also late recovery from a cold (chestiness and cough (PCP ??), Big painful spots on my back and fungal infection in groin.

Please help me gain some perspective on these symptoms...

Can they all be stress related ?

I want my life back.

Fred

Offline fred

« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2006, 01:19:22 am »
24 hours after my wife and I had unprotected sex for the first time in several months and she is complaining of a burning sensation in her vagina and an urgent need to urinate.

I am so scared.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2006, 07:50:13 am »
Fred,

What your wife is describing has nothing to do with hiv infection.

You are hiv negative. You say you want your life back - so take it back already. It is in your power - and your power alone - to do this. There is nothing more we can do for you here. If you cannot accept your negative hiv status, then get some counseling.

I'm giving you your second time out. This one is going to run for 56 days - that's eight weeks. Do not create a new account to get around your time out or you will be perminately banned. Use this time to get the face-to-face help  you need.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fred

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2007, 08:48:48 am »
Hi,

I still have sores on the tip of mu tongue,a coating and also a burning sensation.

My wife is coming down with recurrent UTI's after sex and I really don't know what to do next. This has happened 3 times in 3 months and she is also frequently ill with colds, headaches, nausea etc.

I am seeing a therapist and have had tests out to six months for Gon. Chlamidya, Hep B, Hep c, Syph and out to 37 weeks for HIV.

I am considering asking my wife to go for testing in case by body or the tests are not functioning as expected.

Please help.

Fred.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2007, 08:58:13 am »
Fred,

Help you with what? You are conclusively hiv negative.

You need to talk to your doctor about what is causing your problems and your wife needs to talk to her doctor about hers. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

You are hiv negative. If you continue to use this forum as a substitute for getting the help you need, including counseling, I will have no choice but to ban you permanently. This forum is obviously doing you no good at all.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fred

« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2007, 04:44:27 am »

Tested negative out to 39 weeks....

I know this behaviour appears to frustrate but there really does seem to be a lack of evidence to support a 3 month window period.

No one has ever provided any links to any studies etc to support it and we have to take the advice on trust.

This is difficult if you perceive you have ongoing symptoms that appear to be linked to a risky event.
Also, we have a responsibility to protect others we may come in to contact with.

There are numerous anecdotes on this site, and on other sites, where people who are HIV+ maintain that it took longer than 3 months for their test to turn positive, even in recent times.

Now I know that anecdotes != data but there is no data either.

I thank you for all of your help, and I recognise that I am free to believe what I want, and no-one else is responsible for this.

Fred

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2007, 09:27:09 am »
Can you show me scientifically proven (that being the key word) data to suggest they are NOT reliable?
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline fred

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2007, 09:35:57 am »
Well, you know, it is for those that make a statement "3 months is conclusive" to provide evidence to support that belief. It is not for the recipient of the information to prove that the statement is incorrect.

All I am saying is that if you make a statement that people are relying on for their health it had better be backed up by good science and I have never seen any evidence of that.

I am not saying it does not exist just that I have never seen any evidence.

I can't prove that Santa Claus/God does not exist.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2007, 09:49:10 am »
Fred enough of your crap. Go to the CDC website and read what it says. If you don't like the information we give don't come here.  Go to medhelp or somewhere, where they say 4-6 weeks is conclusive and argue with them. But don't come here and do it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:18:07 am by RapidRod »

Offline fred

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2007, 09:54:01 am »
Rod,

I am not trying to pick a fight.

Just asking where the data can be found to support a 3 month window period.

Why is that so contentious ?

Fred

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2007, 10:01:08 am »
CDC
RIDE!!!

Offline fred

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2007, 10:03:10 am »
Thankyou.

Offline fred

« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2007, 10:07:18 am »
So there we are; another >12 month seroconversion (plywithmeplz).

Someone is mistaken in all of this.....

but who ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2007, 10:47:56 am »
Fred, what in the hell are you talking about?

Offline fred

« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2007, 10:52:42 am »
Hi Rapid,

What I am referring to is yet another claim of a >3 month seroconversion by a forum member (indeed a >12 month one).

Whilst I am sceptical of this, I am sure the individual concerned believes it to be the truth.

This contradicts everything this website holds as conclusive and I simply don't know what to make of it.

Fred

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2007, 10:55:43 am »
Well it isn't true.

Offline fred

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2007, 10:57:18 am »
Thankyou.

Offline fred

« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2007, 09:48:08 am »
Despite my more than conclusive tests (out to 47 weeks) I still have a concern.

My wife has developed acne like spots on her chin that simply refuse to go away (>3 months)

The doc has prescribed a topical steroid combined with an anti-fungal which has made a small difference but not much. I of course think that this is something to do with me and my indescretion last April.

I am on the brink of asking her to test for HIV due to these spots.

Although she knows what I did and that I tested neg. she thinks we are past this. My request could destroy our marriage of 11 years and mean heartbreak for us (me, wife and two small kids)

I have been to a counsellor for six months and this has helped only a little.

Are these spots just another crappy obsession for me or is their any merit in what I am saying ?

Please help,

Fred

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2007, 09:56:13 am »
Don't let your guilt affect her life any more than it has already.  You are conclusively HIV negative. 

Her acne has nothing to do with HIV.  My x-wife had a problem with it as well.  It comes and goes.  These spots ARE just another obsession and have no basis in HIV science.  But you know that already.

Keep seeing a therapist and make sure you tell them about this post and your unfounded fears.  I believe its the guilt playing with you yet again.
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2007, 10:01:23 am »
I urge you to follow AC's suggestion to discuss this latest concern with your therapist.

Bringing it up with your wife would only be a destructive, self-indulgence on your part.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

All of this ongoing drama is stuff you need to be discussing in therapy. And a good therapy is not about a quick or magical fix. It involves hard work for as long as you need to go. So if your life, your wife and your family really matter to you, stick with it.
Andy Velez

Offline fred

« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2007, 11:48:49 am »
Thank you, I will take your advice to heart.

Fred

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2007, 12:21:16 pm »
Good. It's an effort worth making on your part.
Andy Velez

Offline fred

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2007, 02:53:55 am »
Folks,

In your view should posts like the following be dismissed as nonsense or is there any merit to them ?

http://www.thebody.com/cgi-bin/bbs/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=infected&Number=227159&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

(sorry, I know it;s another board !)

Many thanks,

Fred

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2007, 04:10:51 am »
Fread, we don't care what other websites say and we're not about to get in a flame war with any of them. As for the person that posted the question has a problems and it has nothing do with HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2007, 04:36:58 am »
Fred,

Do you realise that you are on the verge of being permanently banned from this website? You've already had two time outs.

I would suggest you seek out some counseling for this hiv obsession of yours. We cannot help you with it here.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fred

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2007, 04:15:03 pm »
Thankyou so much for all your no-nonsense support over the last year or so.

It's finally over....

Love Fred...

Offline fred

« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:06 am »
I would welcome your assesment on the following;

Yesterday, I had unprotected oral sex giving and receiving (pretty vigourous, and very nice  ;D). This, as I understand it is not a problem for HIV whatsoever. My only doubt concerns frottage (horrible word). I basically teased the opening of her vagina and above it with my penis. I did not enter her, not even slightly, it was all on the outside.

She is a work colleague who has been in a stable relationship for 2 1/2 years and tested negative for everything 3 years ago. We both had had way too much to drink and though my recollection is hazy, I telephoned her today and she confirms that penetration did not take place.

Now, clearly I have a problem with alcohol, to some extent, and clearly there could be a moral argument over my acts, as I am married. What I would like to know is whether what I have done puts me at any risk of HIV and/or any other STI's, and if so, which ones ?

Kind Regards,

Fred.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2007, 09:11:28 am »
I would imagine this will get you the permanent ban you've been looking for.

Offline fred

« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2007, 09:21:37 am »
Oh...I don't see why, I thought it was quite a rational question.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2007, 10:53:39 am »
Fred,

You've been haunting this forum long enough to know that frottage is not a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fred

« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2007, 01:22:03 pm »
Please please help.

My wife has a vaginal ulcer and a temperature and a rash. Had this for 3 days now.

I promise this is not a wind up or an attemp to troll.

Could the rash be caused by antiobiotics ?

It could be I've given her Herpes. I am asymptomatic. I had mentioned this possibility but then she showed me the rash which is small red marks all up her legs and I have panicked about HIV.

I'm so sorry, please can you advise ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2007, 01:46:41 pm »
We can't diagnose here. If your wife has troubling symptoms she should see her doctor to have them properly evaluated.

Nothing you are reporting from this latest episode has anything to do with HIV.

You want a kind of personal attention and emotional handholding here that we're not willing to provide. If you need that then it's time to get to a professional to deal with your anxiety about sexually-related issues.

This is NOT an HIV situation and yes, you are on the verge of being banned from this site.
Andy Velez

Offline fred

« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2007, 02:02:50 pm »
Andy,

I know how it looks but I swear it's not deliberate (in the sense that I am conciously controlling it).

My wife is seeing the doctor, and did last night. I am trying to reassure her that all is ok, whilst at the sime time undergoing a panic relating to guilt and her symptoms.

I genuinely thank you from the bottom of my heart for your tolerance so far.

Fred

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.